Author Topic: Was the Liverpudlian dialect the source of some confusion?  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Was the Liverpudlian dialect the source of some confusion?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »
A couple would suggest a man and woman.
how heteronormative of you!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:51:21 PM by John »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Snowgirl

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
I'm from Liverpool. If Kate has blurted out 'they've taken her' in a scouse accent, using base parlance, it would sound like 'theeve taken err', or even 'deeve taken err'.
Even with the veneer of middle class respectability, most scousers original accent will come to the fore when in a stressful situation. Probably be high pitched too, just to slip the self-deprecation in before one of you t***s have me off.
Edit: It would almost certainly be plural, as opposed to 'someone's' or 'he's / she's.
I’ve mixed for years  on a daily basis with those who originate from Liverpool and can honestly say never heard any  one of them use the word. “someone “  it’s  always “they “
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:51:27 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »
This is a new thread.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Hearsay for a start.  Secondly, Who did she report this to?  In what language was her statement taken?  Where is the original transcript?  Let’s look at it in depth as this point is obviously key to cracking the case wide open.
Either a lady in purple or a couple are there other suggestions?

VS - cracking not craking or is that Liverpudlian?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:43:03 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
What do you think a 'couple' might mean if not two people ?

Oh dear I do wish you hadn't asked that..................so will the rest of the forum in a moment [that is being droll in the light of what follows]  ?{)(**

"In mechanics, a couple refers to two parallel forces that are equal in magnitude, opposite in sense and do not share a line of action. A better term is force couple or pure moment. Its effect is to create rotation without translation, or more generally without any acceleration of the centre of mass".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
Oh dear I do wish you hadn't asked that..................so will the rest of the forum in a moment [that is being droll in the light of what follows]  ?{)(**

"In mechanics, a couple refers to two parallel forces that are equal in magnitude, opposite in sense and do not share a line of action. A better term is force couple or pure moment. Its effect is to create rotation without translation, or more generally without any acceleration of the centre of mass".
Could that "couple" ever take a child?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1008855/he-she-they-students-gender-badges
STUDENTS are being encouraged to wear “gender pronoun” badges to indicate whether they would like to be referred to as he, she or they. The badges will be handed out to freshers at Edinburgh University during welcome week next month to help transgender people.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they
"Much has been written on they, and we aren’t going to attempt to cover it here. We will note that they has been in consistent use as a singular pronoun since the late 1300s"; [/b]

Yet another example of how quickly this case latches on. Only 700 years this time .... ?{)(**

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
Why?

How do you understand the word couple ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
So when YM said Mrs McCann said couple do you think she meant two men ?
Kindly supply the direct passage in her statement to this effect, in the original Portuguese please.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline jassi

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 07:09:27 PM »

Well these days, and even back in 2007, you never know.

In fact that could be the solution - a gay couple wanted a child of their own so took Madeleine rather than go through a lengthy adoption procedure
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
Well these days, and even back in 2007, you never know.

In fact that could be the solution - a gay couple wanted a child of their own so took Madeleine rather than go through a lengthy adoption procedure
Good point.  I believe even way back in 2007, gay couples were a thing.

Offline Carana

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »

No idea, I wasn't party to the conversation. 

The PJ transcript  states that she wondered why Kate had said that she'd been taken by a couple, and Yvonne therefore tried to talk to Kate on her own - presumably because she thought there might have been another party claiming the child was theirs (was Gerry the biological dad, etc).
(lines 48 onward)

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P13/13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3427.jpg

However, that's what the police officer taking her statement noted, via an interpreter. It's still not clear to me whether Kate actually mentioned a "couple" or whether she'd said a generic "they" and Yvonne made an assumption that there was another couple, or whether the interpreter misunderstood, or whether the police officer got muddled. There's no way of knowing.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
No idea, I wasn't party to the conversation. 

The PJ transcript  states that she wondered why Kate had said that she'd been taken by a couple, and Yvonne therefore tried to talk to Kate on her own - presumably because she thought there might have been another party claiming the child was theirs (was Gerry the biological dad, etc).
(lines 48 onward)

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P13/13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3427.jpg

However, that's what the police officer taking her statement noted, via an interpreter. It's still not clear to me whether Kate actually mentioned a "couple" or whether she'd said a generic "they" and Yvonne made an assumption that there was another couple, or whether the interpreter misunderstood, or whether the police officer got muddled. There's no way of knowing.

Mrs Martin made two statements; one in June and the other in November, Two different interpreters were used and in both statements she says the same;

the mother told her that she did not understand why a couple had abducted her daughter.

the mother, Kate, questioned what she was doing asking these questions which should be asked by the police, who were already on the scene in large numbers searching for her daughter, who had been taken by a couple.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/YVONNE-WARREN-MARTIN.htm

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0