Author Topic: Was Gonçalo Amaral fair game given the content of his book?  (Read 138432 times)

Offline pegasus

Was Gonçalo Amaral fair game given the content of his book?
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:13 AM »
It is remarkably difficult to find anywhere in the world such an orchestrated attack on a detective's private and professional life simply because in his job he accused a foreign individual of concealment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:55:23 AM by Mr Moderator »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Was Gonçalo Amaral fair game given the content of his book?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:00 AM »
It is remarkably difficult to find anywhere in the world such an orchestrated attack on a detective's private and professional life simply because in his job he accused a foreign individual of concealment.

Writing books is not part of a police officer's job. He may have used a great deal of material from his work and from the PJ report. But not every police chief writes about his cases.

And he certainly didn't earn millions in police work - only a basic salary in British terms.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »
Writing books is not part of a police officer's job. He may have used a great deal of material from his work and from the PJ report. But not every police chief writes about his cases.

And he certainly didn't earn millions in police work - only a basic salary in British terms.
The orchestrated attack against Mr Amaral began before he was forced off the case and therefore entirely relates to his police conclusion that one particular foreign individual had done a concealment. It was ages before the book that Mr PR guy was planting his "sweaty corpulent beer-swilling" UK press articles.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:47:40 AM »
The orchestrated attack against Mr Amaral began before he was forced off the case and therefore entirely relates to his police conclusion that one particular foreign individual had done a concealment. It was ages before the book that Mr PR guy was planting his "sweaty corpulent beer-swilling" UK press articles.

Yes I take your point, pegasus. Nonetheless,  Mr Amaral then chose to go way beyond his professional remit and write a book. He was of course completely at liberty to do so. But you can't write a book on a controversial topic and expect everyone to like it.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:05:26 AM »
Yes I take your point, pegasus. Nonetheless,  Mr Amaral then chose to go way beyond his professional remit and write a book. He was of course completely at liberty to do so. But you can't write a book on a controversial topic and expect everyone to like it.
The book was IMO his only sensible recourse after having been forced off the case.

But back to the atrocious attacks against Mr Amaral while he was a detective working on this case.
Read David Roses work in the Mail on 15 September 2007.
Count the childish insults against Mr Amarals professional and personal life and appearance.
Have a calculator handy and hope the + button doesnt wear out.
Imagine if a Portuguese PR guy today, working for someone being examined by SY, planted stories in the PT press slandering Mr Redwood like that, iInsulting his appearance, dress taste, weight, perspiration,spying on him whether he has a drink at lunch?
I stress this was Sept 2007 and Amaral is being attacked solely for his official police work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:11:20 AM by pegasus »

Offline sadie

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »
The book was IMO his only sensible recourse after having been forced off the case.

But back to the atrocious attacks against Mr Amaral while he was a detective working on this case.
Read David Roses work in the Mail on 15 September 2007.
Count the insults against Mr AMarals professional and personal life and appearance.
Have a calculator handy and hope the + button doesnt wear out  8(8-))
Imagine if a Portuguese PR guy today planted stories in the PT press slandering Mr Redwood like that, iInsulting his appearance, dress taste, spying on him whether he has a drink at lunch?
I stress this was Sept 2007 and Amaral is being attacked solely for his official police work.

With all the info he seems to have taken from the records, I think he must have written the book whilst still on the case.  Certainly whilst he was in the PJ

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22:00 AM »
With all the info he seems to have taken from the records, I think he must have written the book whilst still on the case.  Certainly whilst he was in the PJ

This makes me think they don't have a data protection act in Portugal. Or sensitive data act.

I would not be able to write a book about cases at work, that would be seen as illegal.. and that is risking being sued big time.

Majority of the professionals in the UK are in the same position.. they all signed data protection documents on they first day at work..

This is why to us in the UK this is 'no-no' land .. any info about your work stays at work.. and in my case I had to sign I would not talk about it for next 7 years after I leave my job.

This is why in my opinion a proper professional cannot go this route.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:27:17 AM by VIXTE »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »
This makes me think they don't have a data protection act in Portugal. Or sensitive data act.

I would not be able to write a book about cases at work, that would be seen as illegal.. and that is risking being sued big time.

Majority of the professionals in the UK are in the same position.. they all signed data protection documents on they first day at work..

This is why to us in the UK this is 'no-no' land .. any info about your work stays at work.. and in my case I had to sign I would not talk about it for next 7 years after I leave my job.

This is why in my opinion a proper professional cannot go this route.

Yes, another good point, VIXTE. This would be illegal in the UK and in many other places.

Haven't read David Rose's work, pegasus, but will have a look.

Anyway, off topic a little folks - I take my responsibility for that.

A new thread by all means if we wish to continue this.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:34:04 AM »
The attacks against Mr Amaral started while he was still on the case. Nothing to do with the book. Imagine how pathetic it would seem if a top portuguese PR guy planted news articles calling Mr Redwood sweaty.

Back to burglary, IMO the open window and shutter are clear indication that the person who opened them did NOT have a key.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:35:56 AM by pegasus »

icabodcrane

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
I am no Amaral fan,  and have frequently opined about the flaws and inadequecies of the Portuguese police investigation   

Nevertheless there is simply no  question  that there has been an  'orchestrated'  attack on  Amaral 

To what purpose though  ?

That's the real question 

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
I am no Amaral fan,  and have frequently opined about the flaws and inadequecies of the Portuguese police investigation   

Nevertheless there is simply no  question  that there has been an  'orchestrated'  attack on  Amaral 

That's the real question

Usually if you can't attack the facts, you have to attack the person.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline sadie

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
snipped -
Back to burglary, IMO the open window and shutter are clear indication that the person who opened them did NOT have a key.
Errm..........Would you care to explain the logic behind that statement, please pegasus

Offline Benice

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
Usually if you can't attack the facts, you have to attack the person.

One of the 'facts' being that he should never have been put in charge of this investigation in the first place. The lead investigator and his 2nd in command were both Arguidos in other cases and suspected of criminal activity against witnesses in their custody - for which they were subsequently found guilty.

In view of that and other unsavoury aspects of his life which are in the public arena  - then to expect no comments or criticism to be made about him  -  is to be living in cloud cuckoo land IMO.

I can just imagine the reaction of some sceptics if Gerry McCann turned out to have as much as a speeding ticket.  He'd be hung drawn and quartered - and they would have a field day.   IMO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »

That's the real question

You appear to be blinded by your prejudice...amaral has accused an innocent couple of an awful crime...he quite rightly faces a libel trial which I hope he loses...he is a convicted criminal...he was found guilty of fraud against his brother...he sounds like a nasty piece of work to me

Offline jassi

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »
You appear to be blinded by your prejudice...amaral has accused an innocent couple of an awful crime...he quite rightly faces a libel trial which I hope he loses...he is a convicted criminal...he was found guilty of fraud against his brother...he sounds like a nasty piece of work to me

So ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future