Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 162757 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
Personally I think troll is too frivolous a term for some of the heinous abuse that gets heaped on some people online.  These so-called trolls are abusers, pure and simple.  They are sadists who get their kicks from writing mean, vicious things on social media in order to cause maximum upset to their victims.  Not every McCann "sceptic" is an abuser per se but many if not most quite happily post alongside abusers, share jokes with them. follow them on twitter or are facebook friends, etc Rarely will these "sceptics" question the behaviour and vile sentiments being expressed by the abusers - they will either turn a blind eye or laugh along with it (which makes them accessories to abuse in my opinion).

Offline jassi

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
Personally I think troll is too frivolous a term for some of the heinous abuse that gets heaped on some people online.  These so-called trolls are abusers, pure and simple.  They are sadists who get their kicks from writing mean, vicious things on social media in order to cause maximum upset to their victims.  Not every McCann "sceptic" is an abuser per se but many if not most quite happily post alongside abusers, share jokes with them. follow them on twitter or are facebook friends, etc Rarely will these "sceptics" question the behaviour and vile sentiments being expressed by the abusers - they will either turn a blind eye or laugh along with it (which makes them accessories to abuse in my opinion).

Oh do lighten up.

It would be interesting to do a poll and see just how many posters on here are active on Facebook or Twitter.
For the record, I use neither.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
Personally I think troll is too frivolous a term for some of the heinous abuse that gets heaped on some people online.  These so-called trolls are abusers, pure and simple.  They are sadists who get their kicks from writing mean, vicious things on social media in order to cause maximum upset to their victims....

Not every McCann supporter is an abuser per se but many if not most quite happily post alongside abusers, share jokes with them. follow them on twitter or are facebook friends, etc Rarely will these supporters question the behaviour and vile sentiments being expressed by the abusers - they will either turn a blind eye or laugh along with it (which makes them accessories to abuse in my opinion)
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Oh do lighten up.

It would be interesting to do a poll and see just how many posters on here are active on Facebook or Twitter.

I'll drink to that; I fear however 'tis akin to asking a scorpion not to sting.....it's what they do you see.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:10:01 PM by Alice Purjorick »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »

Oh do lighten up.

lighten up?  Why, is abuse a matter for light-heartedness in your view?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »
Not every McCann supporter is an abuser per se but many if not most quite happily post alongside abusers, share jokes with them. follow them on twitter or are facebook friends, etc Rarely will these supporters question the behaviour and vile sentiments being expressed by the abusers - they will either turn a blind eye or laugh along with it (which makes them accessories to abuse in my opinion)
Who are these McCann supporter abusers then?  Let's see a twitter timeline from one to rival JillyCL or the deranged Pillow then.  Or how about a McCann supporters FB page that contains the same level of abuse as the "Controversy" FB page?  Let's see if your predictable attempt at thowing back my post at me stands up to scrutiny.

Offline jassi

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
lighten up?  Why, is abuse a matter for light-heartedness in your view?

I view it as something to be ignored if it is not aimed at oneself.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 07:57:33 PM »
I view it as something to be ignored if it is not aimed at oneself.
So you were one of those kids who sauntered off hands in pockets whistling nonchalantly while Billy the Bully was kicking crap out of Horace Wimp in the playground then.  I getcha!

Offline jassi

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
So you were one of those kids who sauntered off hands in pockets whistling nonchalantly while Billy the Bully was kicking crap out of Horace Wimp in the playground then.  I getcha!

You do have an interesting way with words - strange, but interesting   @)(++(*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:09:44 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Who are these McCann supporter abusers then?  Let's see a twitter timeline from one to rival JillyCL or the deranged Pillow then.  Or how about a McCann supporters FB page that contains the same level of abuse as the "Controversy" FB page?  Let's see if your predictable attempt at thowing back my post at me stands up to scrutiny.

You lump together most sceptics with the nutters so why shouldn't we lump most supporters with your nutters.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
It was out of hand not long after facebook was launched; so about eight or nine years ago.
Any electronic conversation between two parties who don't know each other is going to run into trouble; add to that stroppy teenagers having a laugh and and few spiteful people with multiple IDs like Job had boils and what do you get?
A nice witches brew bubbling away even before the world had heard of the McCanns. So now it is imperative to "sort it" because some quasi celebrities are subjected to attack? Well if that's what it takes fair dos but one senses it will continue cos that's the human race for you; just look on here for a good cross section  %£&)**#
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves. Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Would that it was confined to two anonymous parties conversing. 

The problem in many cases is that people whose identities are known are targeted by anonymous deviants. 

This happens whether they are in the public eye or not but in either instance is to be abhorred.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »

The problem in many cases is that people whose identities are known are targeted by anonymous deviants. 

Yes, anyone trying to identify anyone online is treading on dangerous ground.

stephen25000

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
Yes, anyone trying to identify anyone online is treading on dangerous ground.

Indeed they are.

For every action.........

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
You lump together most sceptics with the nutters so why shouldn't we lump most supporters with your nutters.
Because there simply aren't the equivalents.  in any case I was talking about abusers not just nutters.  Many McCann abusers are not nutters and are actually much revered by sceptics of all varieties.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »
Because there simply aren't the equivalents.  in any case I was talking about abusers not just nutters.  Many McCann abusers are not nutters and are actually much revered by sceptics of all varieties.

Trouble is you regard anyone who doubts the McCann's story and voices that doubt as an abuser?