Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 163183 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
Propaganda can make quite a difference, even in this case.

In the Dutroux case, cops were sent to investigate a potential lead in the case of these missing kids... but it didn't occur to them that the cries that they heard could have been two of the little girls that they were supposed to be looking for.

These were cops!!!

Not just a passerby who may have had a fleeting thought and dismissed the possibiity, particularly if they had been led by the press to believe that there was no hope of finding them alive anyway.

If you want to make your point Carana why use a case where it was gross stupidity rather than propoganda which left the young girls undiscovered ?

Could it be because you have no relevant example ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
Now you're just being silly Carana.

That's your opinion.

I'm not suggesting comparing the Holocaust to the disappearance of a single child, obviously, as that would be disrespectful to the millions who did die, IMO.

My point is about the propaganda that led people to believe that the Holocaust was a myth, that the propaganda that supported the denial was a myth, and that people who continue to deny it should be allowed to do so in the name of freedom of speech.

Offline Carana

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
If you want to make your point Carana why use a case where it was gross stupidity rather than propoganda which left the young girls undiscovered ?

Could it be because you have no relevant example ?

How can it be determined whether two cops were incredibly naive (hadn't been sufficiently trained, hadn't been given sufficient information) or had been led to believe that the kids were dead and were therefore less attentive to potential indications that they were indeed being held somewhere?

The Dutroux case is complex. And it led to a massive overhaul of the entire Belgian police system.

That said, I doubt that the UK officers who found Shannon really believed that the tip concerning a house was anything more than a routine check, and they could easily have missed her as well.

Police officers are human, after all. Hope is no doubt high in the beginning, but that hope no doubt deflates as time goes on and newer cases have to be dealt with. That's probably natural. However, if your superiors are also giving out vibes that it's a lost cause, then how easy is it to maintain enthusiasm?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
How can it be determined whether two cops were incredibly naive (hadn't been sufficiently trained, hadn't been given sufficient information) or had been led to believe that the kids were dead and were therefore less attentive to potential indications that they were indeed being held somewhere?

The Dutroux case is complex. And it led to a massive overhaul of the entire Belgian police system.

That said, I doubt that the UK officers who found Shannon really believed that the tip concerning a house was anything more than a routine check, and they could easily have missed her as well.

Police officers are human, after all. Hope is no doubt high in the beginning, but that hope no doubt deflates as time goes on and newer cases have to be dealt with. That's probably natural. However, if your superiors are also giving out vibes that it's a lost cause, then how easy is it to maintain enthusiasm?

Yet again Carana you're masquarading opinion and supposition as fact. 
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »
Grayling thinks the prospect of two years in prison might deter them. Who knows &%+((£

The Bill is just waiting for the monarch to stay up all night for a week reading it before she signs (as she always does naturally @)(++(*)
Grayling* is a politician; nuff said. If it was an odds on racing certainty of being caught prosecuted and receiving a draconian sentence it might work. Otherwise probably not.
* It is also a sort of freshwater fish.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Lyall

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
Grayling* is a politician; nuff said. If it was an odds on racing certainty of being caught prosecuted and receiving a draconian sentence it might work. Otherwise probably not.
* It is also a sort of freshwater fish.

They can catch people in hours when they want to (as recent folk in trouble for making jokes about tragedies can testify). The machinery for that is already there.

I'm not 100% that Grayling managed to get the two years into the Bill tbh, but I can't find word that he didn't. So I'm assuming he did, and sooner or later someone's going to be made an example.

Two years. Ouch! 8)><(

Offline Carana

« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
Yet again Carana you're masquarading opinion and supposition as fact.

And what have those who leafleted their village just as the twins were about to start school, have advocated waterboarding the McCanns, firebombing their home, kidnapping the twins, sending hatemail via post or Internet, etc., etc., based their "knowledge" on?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
And what have those who leafleted their village just as the twins were about to start school, have advocated waterboarding the McCanns, firebombing their home, kidnapping the twins, sending hatemail via post or Internet, etc., etc., based their "knowledge" on?

Nothing other than it is a useful "cause" to pretend to belong to in order to "justify" being an anti social trouble maker in general.
Being old and cynical leads me to this view; slightly tongue in cheek but the anti hunting with dogs brigade had to go somewhere.

Have a read of this to see how unpleasant people can be when they are zealots for a cause.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4762481.stm
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
Point them to Raul Hilberg's work, from back in the day when historians weren't also politicians.
I can assure you there is absolutely NOTHING that will dissuade a H.D. from his / her beliefs.

Lyall

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
I can assure you there is absolutely NOTHING that will dissuade a H.D. from his / her beliefs.

I know, but there's not much you can do with that kind of folk. Life's too short %£&)**#

Offline mercury

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:29 AM »
So?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/26/facebook-troll-who-mocked-dead-children-and-made-comments-about-madeleine-mccann-faces-jail-5313878/

At least Mr Milligan may have had a bit of an excuse for his odd behaviour ... Quote: Milligan, who suffers from Asperger’s syndrome, was supported in court by an appropriate adult, who made sure he understood the legal process. Unquote
http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/26/facebook-troll-who-mocked-dead-children-and-made-comments-about-madeleine-mccann-faces-jail-5313878/#ixzz3h4ynyP75

What excuse do those who consider themselves 100% responsible for their own actions have?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »

Those creatures do not have 'knowledge' they have an agenda.They are dispicable cretins who would have been arrested if they were making those threats! If the evidence is there, then please forward it to the LP...
We do have harrassment laws. The McCANNS could have had an injunction against that crew and their leader. (They had access to great legal teams afterall)!

If it is just 'hot air'  what is your agenda?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »

There are many "innocents" like Mr Milligan on social media ... who may be encouraged by reading some of the fantastical comments posted by others who should know better to take regrettable actions directed at the object of the general opprobrium.

Mr Milligan required to be accompanied in court by a responsible adult ... I think people should take a step back and think about that ... or is that perhaps the internet troll agenda, making the balls for someone else to fire.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....