Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 163190 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »
Q. What Do I Have to Prove in a Defamation Claim?
A. In both libel and slander cases, you need to prove that:

The allegations have been published to one or more persons (other than yourself)
The allegations refer to you – either that you are named, pictured or are identifiable in some other way
That the words tend to lower you in the eyes of right thinking members of society.
In slander cases, you will also need to prove that you have suffered financial loss, unless the allegations relate to your profession or an offence punishable by imprisonment.

To read more about this from Slater and Gordon see: http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-libel-and-privacy/faqs/#ixzz3hTVQcXuN
Follow us: @slatergordonUK on Twitter
Yes, and...?

Lyall

« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
If you think that the views of repeat contributors to Mr Amaral's Gofundme appeal who are numbered in the hundreds are indicative of the opinions held by normal people about Madeleine McCann's case ... you delude yourself.

Yes, we know that the majority are either apathetic or inclined for understandable reasons to not think the worst about a child's parents.

But you have to recognise that a great many - millions over the world - are fascinated by true crime cases and until there is evidence in the public domain to support your opinion, this case will always fascinate many of them. That's not because of anything the social media folk have done, that's because of the evidence (or lack of it).

Offline Brietta

« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
and do you really believe when normal people are actually told the truth, and there's zip all evidence of abduction, and the fact that there has been no trace of Madeleine in well over 8 years, that they won'[t question the mccanns version of events ?

Mind you, most normal people don't give a monkey's about this case.

Doesn't it strike you that normal people already know that many lies have been told to try to implicate the Drs Mcann in Madeleine's disappearance.

I rather think your assertion that most normal people don't give a monkeys is disproved when one thinks of the many who noticed the little girl at the football match who looked much like the age progressed photos of Madeleine.

There are still a lot of people who want her found.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »
They have hundreds, but there are thousands who still have strong opinions about the case (and a great many more who see that so far there is no evidence in the public domain to support your opinion, or to support what DCI Redwood may - or may not - have believed himself. That's your real problem, not the social media folk).

Your argument would have made more sense before the stupid action Sky News took. But you can't reverse time now. That's what I'm arguing.
I don't have a problem, real or otherwise thanks.  You may be of the opinion that Brenda is a shining  martyr to justice, but not in the eyes of 99.9% recurring of the general population.  If other nutters take inspiration from her death and decide that continuing to torment the parents of a missing child is her name is a good thing to do, then that's where the law should step in and sort it out.  That will only happen however at the behest of the tormented themselves, as in the Spivey case.

Lyall

« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
I don't have a problem, real or otherwise thanks.  You may be of the opinion that Brenda is a shining  martyr to justice, but not in the eyes of 99.9% recurring of the general population.  If other nutters take inspiration from her death and decide that continuing to torment the parents of a missing child is her name is a good thing to do, then that's where the law should step in and sort it out.  That will only happen however at the behest of the tormented themselves, as in the Spivey case.

In this case it's now too late. There are a few individuals I don't think many would care about,if they were prosecuted (they're so obviously nutcases). But prosecuting them would make little difference.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »
Yes, we know that the majority are either apathetic or inclined for understandable reasons to not think the worst about a child's parents.

But you have to recognise that a great many - millions over the world - are fascinated by true crime cases and until there is evidence in the public domain to support your opinion, this case will always fascinate many of them. That's not because of anything the social media folk have done, that's because of the evidence (or lack of it).

I agree that people love a mystery however I disagree that social media trolls haven't had a hand in perpetuating utter balderdash about Madeleine McCann's case and I think that is one of the biggest mysteries ... why do they feel motivated to keep up the assaults on her family and join gangs to do so, over a period lasting eight years.

In my opinion that is irrational behaviour.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »
In this case it's now too late. There are a few individuals I don't think many would care about,if they were prosecuted (they're so obviously nutcases). But prosecuting them would make little difference.
Would make little difference to what?  I think actually if a dozen of the worst McCann tormentors were prosecuted it might give the rest pause for thought, even if it doesn't stop them.  Of course even if Spivey is sent down there will be others to carry on his evil work, does that mean he should never have been prosecuted in the first place? 

Offline Brietta

« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
Would make little difference to what?  I think actually if a dozen of the worst McCann tormentors were prosecuted it might give the rest pause for thought, even if it doesn't stop them.  Of course even if Spivey is sent down there will be others to carry on his evil work, does that mean he should never have been prosecuted in the first place?

I am of that opinion as well ... it wouldn't take much to send out a zero tolerance message to other trolls who I think by definition are total cowards.

What it does show is that far from being the litigious people of myth and fable ... the Drs McCann haven't taken action against a fraction of MSM and individuals they could have ... the initial action they took sufficed along with the release of the files showing the lies and misinformation they had been fed about the case.

The point being that the Drs McCann have more to contend with than suing idiots ...  they need their energies to look for their missing daughter and concentrate on their other children having as normal a childhood as is possible in the circumstances.

Lyall

« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »

So what would be the point of the prosecutions then, if you recognise they wouldn't stop online discussion? If people were doing stupid things like going to their home town, then I'm sure many would agree that's not acceptable. But they aren't, and never did as far as I know (apart from one well known occasion).

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
So what would be the point of the prosecutions then, if you recognise they wouldn't stop online discussion? If people were doing stupid things like going to their home town, then I'm sure many would agree that's not acceptable. But they aren't, and never did as far as I know (apart from one well known occasion).
Well let's see - what's the point of prosecuting burglars or rapists, when it won't stop others burgling and raping...?  Over to you.

Lyall

« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
I agree that people love a mystery however I disagree that social media trolls haven't had a hand in perpetuating utter balderdash about Madeleine McCann's case and I think that is one of the biggest mysteries ... why do they feel motivated to keep up the assaults on her family and join gangs to do so, over a period lasting eight years.

In my opinion that is irrational behaviour.

Because of Madeleine. It's as simple as that. As we  saw in May 2007 missing child cases generate the strongest emotions. That emotion still remains on the forums.

Offline Carana

« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »

An underlying issue, IMO, is the tabloid sensationalism, which then fuels speculation and a trial by media.

I'm not just thinking of the McCann and the Cipriano cases in Portugal, but the Jo Yeates case in the UK, and numerous ones in the US and no doubt elsewhere as well.

A US case in point is the disappearance of Kyron Horman. When this little boy disappeared around 5 years ago, the tabloids were all over it (quite possibly with some irresponsible police half-baked leaks) and the commentariat fully expected the stepmum to be arrested for murder (and I've no idea whether she's innocent or guilty). Five years on, the father is now expressing hope that he may still be alive...

In the meantime, of course, the stepmum's reputation is in shreds due to the speculation to the point where she has had a hard time even finding a job.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/Five-years-later-why-Kyron-Hormans-dad-believes-hes-alive-305768091.html

Another issue is the glee with which people objectify / dehumanise others - they are no longer treated as human beings caught up in a tragedy, but more like characters in a video game who don't really exist.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
Yes, and...?

Well, your answer wasn't that clear, but did you say a person doesn't have to prove they have been libelled in this country? If you did mean that, I posted to show that they do have to prove it.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Lyall

« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
Well let's see - what's the point of prosecuting burglars or rapists, when it won't stop others burgling and raping...?  Over to you.

You can't throw it over to me. You originally said: I'm sure they'd prosecute if the McCanns wanted them to. I suggested why they may not want them to. You didn't give an opinion about why there have been no prosecutions (apart from the chap who published booklets), so it's you who still has explaining to do.

If they're as desirable to others as they are to you, why have there been no prosecutions?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Doesn't it strike you that normal people already know that many lies have been told to try to implicate the Drs Mcann in Madeleine's disappearance.

I rather think your assertion that most normal people don't give a monkeys is disproved when one thinks of the many who noticed the little girl at the football match who looked much like the age progressed photos of Madeleine.

There are still a lot of people who want her found.

By normal people do you mean people who, unlike us, don't spend their time arguing on internet forums? I think they neither know much about this case or care. It's history for most, if they remember it at all.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0