Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 163181 times)

Lyall

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
He was not convicted of annoying Americans, and his views on a wide range of subjects are beside the point.  His views on the McCanns are identical in most respects to the views of the nuttiest of #McCann tweeters, and his behaviour towards the Rigbys is very similar that which is meted out to the McCanns now and for the last 8 years.  If anything, the McCanns have had it much worse than Lee Rigby's family, as it has been going on for 8 years and they have been accused of appalling things and by many more than one nutter.

They have been talked about. A lot obviously. They may have been libelled in text, but they were never physically harassed by any of the people discussing the case online over the years. You should be honest about that.

You've only read the media reports about Spivey's activities I expect. The papers obviously can't report everything that was said and demonstrated in the courtroom, so you can't possibly compare his behaviour with anyone else. You don't know everything he did.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
They have been talked about. A lot obviously. They may have been libelled in text, but they were never physically harassed by any of the people discussing the case online over the years. You should be honest about that.

You've only read the media reports about Spivey's activities I expect. The papers obviously can't report everything that was said and demonstrated in the courtroom, so you can't possibly compare his behaviour with anyone else. You don't know everything he did.
Firstly, the McCann have been physically harassed.  They have been stalked and their neighbourhood visited for the sole purpose of catching a glimpse of them.  Members of the online community have admitted this, also of reporting on them when encountering them on holiday.  Bennett and his bitch troll leafleted their neighbours.  One "sceptic" had the gall to give Kate McCann a hug in a supermarket in Rothley FGS. 
Secondly, I don't need to know everything Spivey did to know that what he DID do closely resembles what many hardcore "sceptics" have done.  I also believe that if he had physically harassed the Rigbys it would have been reported.  The reports tell us the the only direct contact between him and his victims was via Facebook.   

Lyall

« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
Firstly, the McCann have been physically harassed.  They have been stalked and their neighbourhood visited for the sole purpose of catching a glimpse of them.  Members of the online community have admitted this, also of reporting on them when encountering them on holiday.  Bennett and his bitch troll leafleted their neighbours.  One "sceptic" had the gall to give Kate McCann a hug in a supermarket in Rothley FGS. 
Secondly, I don't need to know everything Spivey did to know that what he DID do closely resembles what many hardcore "sceptics" have done.  I also believe that if he had physically harassed the Rigbys it would have been reported.  The reports tell us the the only direct contact between him and his victims was via Facebook.   

They have I'm sure received a lot of nasty mail (most of which will be from the type of nuts who write to any 'celebrity') but the other 'incidents' you mention don't amount to much. TB and ex-pal did it just the once? I think so, and they were condemned for it at the time as you know.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
They have I'm sure received a lot of nasty mail (most of which will be from the type of nuts who write to any 'celebrity') but the other 'incidents' you mention don't amount to much. TB and ex-pal did it just the once? I think so, and they were condemned for it at the time as you know.

oh good.  so you think that this is wrong.

Lyall

« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »
oh good.  so you think that this is wrong.

Most people at the time thought it was wrong, and said so.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »
Most people at the time thought it was wrong, and said so.

Can we go on saying that this is wrong?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
Then I would think about it if I were you.  Amaral's opinions seem to have carried some weight.  But English Courts can hardly put paid to him.

Why should I think about it? What has Amaral got to do with trolling? Does he post on the internet?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
Why should I think about it? What has Amaral got to do with trolling? Does he post on the internet?

So you don't really care.  Fine by me.  Fortunately no one will ever take you seriously, because you apparently have nothing to say of any importance.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
So you don't really care.  Fine by me.  Fortunately no one will ever take you seriously, because you apparently have nothing to say of any importance.

Could you tell me who 'no one' includes? All members of the forum? If so, you could be mistaken imo.  8(>((
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2015, 09:05:14 PM »
So are you saying that Spivey's 11 month hate campaign against the Rigbys was more serious than the 8 year long campaign against the McCanns which has been carried out by numerous individuals?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
Maybe they did and the police weren't interested.  IMO, the police are very reluctant and / or slow to act in many of these cases of harassment.

Bennett and his cohorts post leaflets to the McCann's  neighbours detailing alleged crimes perpetratated by the McCanns. Are you really telling us that the police wouldn't see this as harassment ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #386 on: August 01, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »
So are you saying that Spivey's 11 month hate campaign against the Rigbys was more serious than the 8 year long campaign against the McCanns which has been carried out by numerous individuals?

Without detracting from the unnecessary added pain and the fears for their personal safety which Lee Rigby's family could well have done without ... he was one idiot acting over a few months.

I think the eight year hounding of the McCann family by packs as well as individuals, in which this man was also a participant, is something entirely outwith the realms of common decency.

The worst thing about it is that this man had no regard for Lee Rigby's son; just as Madeleine's siblings are collateral damage in the campaign against their parents. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Lyall

« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »

If we were all rounded up and sent to the gulag there would still be discussion of the case online, and they would still be libelled. Discussion is inevitable in a case of this nature, considering the evidence in the public domain (or lack of it). And so is libel.

But discussion is not physical harassment, and Spivey has just been convicted for harassment? So it clearly was more serious.

Offline mercury

« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
Posting comments on the internet discussing any case cannot be construed as harrassment, thats plain ridiculous, get real AJ and off your horse

And if you have a major problem with a handful of nutters, then why not take it up with them instead of flooding this forum with your complaints

PS Sorry Lyall, seem to have cross  posted

Online Eleanor

« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
Could you tell me who 'no one' includes? All members of the forum? If so, you could be mistaken imo.  8(>((

you are absolutely right, of course.