Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 162755 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
If you want to discuss seriously you need to lose the emotion.

It's more tedious for you to continually claim there has been harassment because if you look at comparable cases in other countries you'll see what harassment really means. Nothing similar happened in this case in this country. Fact.

I'm glad it didn't. And so should you be.
PS: what emotion do you think I am displaying with my post?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
'Everyone should be able to go about their daily lives free from harassment caused by someone deliberately making grossly offensive messages about them on social media' - Jenny Hopkins, chief crown prosecutor for CPS East of England

Ms Hopkins is clearly stating that "grossly offensive messages" on social media causes harrassment to its subjects.  Now tell me that the McCanns are not the subject of "grossly offensive messages" on social media and are therefore not victims of harrassment.  go on, contradict the CCP for CPS East of England.

Offline Carana

« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
'Everyone should be able to go about their daily lives free from harassment caused by someone deliberately making grossly offensive messages about them on social media' - Jenny Hopkins, chief crown prosecutor for CPS East of England

Ms Hopkins is clearly stating that "grossly offensive messages" on social media causes harrassment to its subjects.  Now tell me that the McCanns are not the subject of "grossly offensive messages" on social media and are therefore not victims of harrassment.  go on, contradict the CCP for CPS East of England.

I find that to be reasonable... Does anyone disagree with that on here?

ETA: What constitutes "grossly offensive", though?

And:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/trolling-why-nasty-commenters-take-delight-in-wrecking-your-day-1.2976073
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:29:55 PM by Carana »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »

I find that to be reasonable... Does anyone disagree with that on here?

ETA: What constitutes "grossly offensive", though?

1. I don't disagree.
2. I guess that is subjective unless there is a definition upon which the law relies.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
If someone claimed I was a paedophile and had murdered my child in a masonic ritual I'd be grossly offended.  Amyone else?

Offline sadie

« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
If someone claimed I was a paedophile and had murdered my child in a masonic ritual I'd be grossly offended.  Amyone else?
Disgusting stuff.

Kates distraught face and slumped figure is the evidence of how upset and offended they were.

Thankfully since SY took over and hope returned, she is looking much better.

I would have fallen completely to pieces with vile accusations like that aimed at me.

Lyall

« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »

There's a difference between sporadic, idiotic comments and a sustained campaign of misinformation.

Spivey stood outside the magistrates court and declared "These people don't exist" (about those who had given witness statements against him).

Find a website that has consistently spouted such things about the McCanns and you might have a case.

But all there is to find is random twits on social media and forums.

(I wish those twits would disappear as much as you do - and maybe more - but I don't think even the nuts ever did anything criminal.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:26:29 PM by Lyall »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
There's a difference between sporadic, idiotic comments and a sustained campaign of misinformation.

Spivey stood outside the magistrates court and declared "These people don't exist" (about those who had given witness statements against him).

Find a website that has consistently spouted such things about the McCanns and you might have a case.

Has your ISP put some kind of filter on what is accessible to you on the WWW??
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Lyall

« Reply #413 on: August 02, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
      Has your ISP put some kind of filter on what is accessible to you on the WWW??

@)(++(* Maybe.

I see deeply distasteful people, and their fantical words. But I don't see anything criminal.

(Libel is another thing entirely.)

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »

(I wish those twits would disappear as much as you do - and maybe more - but I don't think even the nuts ever did anything criminal.)

we are seeing a sustained campaign of misinformation on several sites. Fortunately on this site posters who post misinformation will be challenged and forced to admit that things that have been claimed as fact are merely opinion

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »

I think you must be living in cloud cuckoo land.  FYI:  there are dozens of people who spend a large part of their day, every day actively campaigning against the McCanns.  They can most prominently be seen at work on Twitter and Facebook.  You may think these social media platforms are trivial but they are the same platforms by which Spivey harassed his victims.  There are also numerous blogs, forums and websites dedicated to traducing the McCanns, not on a sporadic basis but on a regular basis.  This is a fact which you were obviously completely ignorant of.

Lyall

« Reply #416 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
we are seeing a sustained campaign of misinformation on several sites. Fortunately on this site posters who post misinformation will be challenged and forced to admit that things that have been claimed as fact are merely opinion

On forums/social media you mean I think, not websites?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #417 on: August 02, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
On forums/social media you mean I think, not websites?

I said sites..... Not websites..... Another Chinese whisper

Lyall

« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
I think you must be living in cloud cuckoo land.  FYI:  there are dozens of people who spend a large part of their day, every day actively campaigning against the McCanns.  They can most prominently be seen at work on Twitter and Facebook.  You may think these social media platforms are trivial but they are the same platforms by which Spivey harassed his victims.  There are also numerous blogs, forums and websites dedicated to traducing the McCanns, not on a sporadic basis but on a regular basis.  This is a fact which you were obviously completely ignorant of.

I admit I don't bother following anything said or done on facebook. Life's too short for that.

But the bloggers? "Traducing"? Libelling, perhaps (only experts know exactly what is and what is not libel), but harassing? I don't think so.

There's a difference between opinion - however hostile - and manufacturing evidence, which would definitely qualify as harassment I'd think.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #419 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
I admit I don't bother following anything said or done on facebook. Life's too short for that.

But the bloggers? "Traducing"? Libelling, perhaps (only experts know exactly what is and what is not libel), but harassing? I don't think so.

There's a difference between opinion - however hostile - and manufacturing evidence, which would definitely qualify as harassment I'd think.
traduce

/trəˈdjuːs/

verb

gerund or present participle: traducing

speak badly of or tell lies about (someone) so as to damage their reputation.

Lyall, please don't make me send you links.