Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 162757 times)

Offline Carew

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #765 on: August 27, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
Perhaps the dossier compilers could have had their work assessed  legally behind the scenes for advice as to whether or not there was any point in presenting it to the police in the first place?

Couldn`t they have ascertained at that stage through legal advice whether or not crimes had been committed without the humiliation of rejection by the police?

They might not have been given the advice they hoped for, but the presentation of their dossier to Sky News would still have been an option, so all wouldn`t have been lost.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #766 on: August 27, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
why was "sweepyface" tweeting Martin Brunt?

Anyone any idea?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #767 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
why was "sweepyface" tweeting Martin Brunt?

Anyone any idea?

In my opinion it probably flagged her up to Martin Brunt as someone who wanted to talk to him.  By all accounts their off camera meeting was amicable and did not arouse any suspicion in Brunt's mind about her fragile state.
Just the fact that she was happy enough to invite him into her home speaks volumes.

Her son, with whom she communicated after Martin Brunt's visit also failed to spot any warning indications, or he would surely have contacted someone to voice his concerns and ask them to check on his mother's welfare.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
Aren't all opinions subjective?  That was MY opinion - unasked for I know, but tant pis.

The point being there is no objective view of "dregs of society". Like neither by common law nor statute so it is what anyone wants it to be to suit a particular argument. Someone who shoves leaflets through doors and posts nasty messages on the internet is "the dregs of society" ?.

Look up "Alice's Restaurant" lyrics and the find the bit about Group W bench. It is a very humourous take on a similar issue.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
In my opinion it probably flagged her up to Martin Brunt as someone who wanted to talk to him.  By all accounts their off camera meeting was amicable and did not arouse any suspicion in Brunt's mind about her fragile state.
Just the fact that she was happy enough to invite him into her home speaks volumes.

Her son, with whom she communicated after Martin Brunt's visit also failed to spot any warning indications, or he would surely have contacted someone to voice his concerns and ask them to check on his mother's welfare.

In Red font: ALL accounts? where would ALL these accounts come from? Oh are you referring to Martin Brunts face saving she was fine it wasn't me guv statement? HIS and only HIS account of the private conversation- the other person with knowledge of that conversation just happens to be dead and cannot corroborate it. wow whood a thunk it.

Green font.

No one knows what happened after that conversation with her son. who or what pushed her over the edge...not even the coroner!  many people with mental illness do not commit suicide... sometimes it may be a 'last straw'
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »
Internet troll to be sentenced for harassing Lee Rigby's family after saying soldier's murder was made up

An internet troll who claimed the murder of Lee Rigby was a conspiracy designed to provoke anti-Islamic feelings has escaped an immediate jail term after refusing to accept he did anything wrong.

Grandfather Christopher Spivey, of Rochford, Essex, posted a series of comments on social media about Fusilier Rigby's killing - including claiming the soldier had never existed and that the story of his murder was a conspiracy.

He also made direct contact with members of the Rigby family.

The 52-year-old denied harassment and sending grossly offensive messages over social media but was found guilty after a two-day trial at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court.

A sentencing hearing today heard that Spivey continues to protest his innocence and stands by the claims.

Sentencing him to six months in prison suspended for two years, District Judge John Woollard said: "I have been a district judge for 17 years and very rarely I come across conspiracy theorists like you.

"Experience tells me it's pointless telling you you are wrong because you believe I am part of the conspiracy.

"You totally fail to accept that what you were doing had a profound and shattering effect on the family.

"They had been thrust into the public eye and were bereaved in a terrible way and then they're contacted by somebody like you making the most ridiculous comments and claims.

"All because sitting in your bedroom in Rochford you come to the conclusion that MI5 and various other organisations are conspiring to mislead the public.

"You will be convinced until you die that you are right and everyone else is wrong."

The judge also made Spivey subject to a restraining order banning him from posting on blogs or social media and contacting Fusilier Rigby's family.

Fusilier Rigby, from Greater Manchester, was murdered as he returned to his barracks in Woolwich, south-east London, on May 22 2013.

He died of multiple cut and stab wounds.

Michael Adebolajo was given a whole-life term and Michael Adebowale was jailed for a minimum of 45 years at the Old Bailey for his murder last year.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13629766.Internet_troll_escapes_jail_for_harassing_Lee_Rigby_s_family_after_saying_soldier_s_murder_was_made_up/
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

« Reply #771 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »
 The dossier compliers are trolls who trolled trolls. The harrassers were harrassed? equilibrium?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #772 on: August 27, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
Perhaps the dossier compilers could have had their work assessed  legally behind the scenes for advice as to whether or not there was any point in presenting it to the police in the first place?

Couldn`t they have ascertained at that stage through legal advice whether or not crimes had been committed without the humiliation of rejection by the police?

They might not have been given the advice they hoped for, but the presentation of their dossier to Sky News would still have been an option, so all wouldn`t have been lost.

if i suspected a crime had been committed i would inform the police...simple

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #773 on: August 27, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
Internet troll to be sentenced for harassing Lee Rigby's family after saying soldier's murder was made up

An internet troll who claimed the murder of Lee Rigby was a conspiracy designed to provoke anti-Islamic feelings has escaped an immediate jail term after refusing to accept he did anything wrong.

Grandfather Christopher Spivey, of Rochford, Essex, posted a series of comments on social media about Fusilier Rigby's killing - including claiming the soldier had never existed and that the story of his murder was a conspiracy.

He also made direct contact with members of the Rigby family.

The 52-year-old denied harassment and sending grossly offensive messages over social media but was found guilty after a two-day trial at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court.

A sentencing hearing today heard that Spivey continues to protest his innocence and stands by the claims.

Sentencing him to six months in prison suspended for two years, District Judge John Woollard said: "I have been a district judge for 17 years and very rarely I come across conspiracy theorists like you.

"Experience tells me it's pointless telling you you are wrong because you believe I am part of the conspiracy.

"You totally fail to accept that what you were doing had a profound and shattering effect on the family.

"They had been thrust into the public eye and were bereaved in a terrible way and then they're contacted by somebody like you making the most ridiculous comments and claims.

"All because sitting in your bedroom in Rochford you come to the conclusion that MI5 and various other organisations are conspiring to mislead the public.

"You will be convinced until you die that you are right and everyone else is wrong."

The judge also made Spivey subject to a restraining order banning him from posting on blogs or social media and contacting Fusilier Rigby's family.

Fusilier Rigby, from Greater Manchester, was murdered as he returned to his barracks in Woolwich, south-east London, on May 22 2013.

He died of multiple cut and stab wounds.

Michael Adebolajo was given a whole-life term and Michael Adebowale was jailed for a minimum of 45 years at the Old Bailey for his murder last year.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13629766.Internet_troll_escapes_jail_for_harassing_Lee_Rigby_s_family_after_saying_soldier_s_murder_was_made_up/
Spivey must be delighted, as must all the other [ censored word ] trolls out there. 

Offline Anna

« Reply #774 on: August 27, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Spivey must be delighted, as must all the other [ censored word ] trolls out there.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-08-27/internet-troll-avoids-jail-after-claiming-lee-rigby-murder-was-anti-islamic-conspiracy/

“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #775 on: August 27, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »

The point being there is no objective view of "dregs of society". Like neither by common law nor statute so it is what anyone wants it to be to suit a particular argument. Someone who shoves leaflets through doors and posts nasty messages on the internet is "the dregs of society" ?.

Look up "Alice's Restaurant" lyrics and the find the bit about Group W bench. It is a very humourous take on a similar issue.
There is no objective view of many descriptive phrases, but thanks for the lesson in semantics.  If Brietta wishes to describe internet s..mbags as the dregs of society she shouldn't need a lecture for doing so. IMO.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-08-27/internet-troll-avoids-jail-after-claiming-lee-rigby-murder-was-anti-islamic-conspiracy/
A bit like Tony Bennett was banned from ever discussing the Madeleine McCann case online again you mean...?  &%+((£

Online Eleanor

« Reply #777 on: August 27, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

What a joke. But at least The Judge agrees that Spivey is mentally ill.

« Reply #778 on: August 27, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
I think he was spared jail becasue of his apparent mental illness-delusional-paranoid etc...

I wonder how the online ban will be enforced though. I am sure it breaches his human rights...someone will pick on on it and run with it.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #779 on: August 27, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
I still fail to see what, in essence, is different between Spivey's online behaviour and that of numerous "Maddie Justice Seekers" aka delusional conspiracy theorists.  I guess it's only because the McCanns haven't got personal FB and twitter accounts that has (ironically) prevented these people from being convicted like Spivey has.