Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 162757 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #825 on: August 28, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
The bit you Googled and cut and pasted is dated 2013. New legislation came into force in 2014. Are you satisfied what you posted remains applicable?

1Serious harm

(1)A statement is not defamatory unless its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.

(2)For the purposes of this section, harm to the reputation of a body that trades for profit is not “serious harm” unless it has caused or is likely to cause the body serious financial loss.

Yes, unless you show me anything which states that libel by inference has been dropped from the statute books.

ferryman

« Reply #826 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
There are two different kinds of meaning that can be considered in a case of defamation – the normal meaning, which includes all the alternative, figurative and connotative meanings that can be derived from the word or imagery, and the innuendo meaning. An innuendo meaning is subdivided again into false innuendo and true innuendo. False innuendo is when the meaning suggested through innuendo is generally available to most people and does not require any other knowledge. True innuendo is when the innuendo intended requires special knowledge to understand and make it defamatory. For example if the defendant congratulated the plaintiff on their expectation of a baby this would not be viewed as being defamatory, until or unless you have the knowledge that the plaintiff is an 18 year old devout Christian, who is unwed and regards her own body as pure and chaste. In this case the seemingly amiable congratulations on a pregnancy can be seen, with special knowledge, to make an innuendo that the plaintiff is not as sexually ascetic and religiously principled as they are generally considered to be. This would be defamatory.

Defamation, malice, reckless disregard and negligence
Malice is a prosecution's argument; it works to counter a defence of fair comment or qualified privilege. If it can be proved that the defendant acted with defamation due to malicious intent then those defences would not be operative.

Malice is defined as the act of defamation performed with the intent to harm the party being defamed. An absence of belief in the defamatory statement, or a reckless disregard for whether or not the statement was true, is usually enough to conclude that the defamation was performed with "actual malice".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Bloody google ....

stephen25000

« Reply #827 on: August 28, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
There are two different kinds of meaning that can be considered in a case of defamation – the normal meaning, which includes all the alternative, figurative and connotative meanings that can be derived from the word or imagery, and the innuendo meaning. An innuendo meaning is subdivided again into false innuendo and true innuendo. False innuendo is when the meaning suggested through innuendo is generally available to most people and does not require any other knowledge. True innuendo is when the innuendo intended requires special knowledge to understand and make it defamatory. For example if the defendant congratulated the plaintiff on their expectation of a baby this would not be viewed as being defamatory, until or unless you have the knowledge that the plaintiff is an 18 year old devout Christian, who is unwed and regards her own body as pure and chaste. In this case the seemingly amiable congratulations on a pregnancy can be seen, with special knowledge, to make an innuendo that the plaintiff is not as sexually ascetic and religiously principled as they are generally considered to be. This would be defamatory.

Defamation, malice, reckless disregard and negligence
Malice is a prosecution's argument; it works to counter a defence of fair comment or qualified privilege. If it can be proved that the defendant acted with defamation due to malicious intent then those defences would not be operative.

Malice is defined as the act of defamation performed with the intent to harm the party being defamed. An absence of belief in the defamatory statement, or a reckless disregard for whether or not the statement was true, is usually enough to conclude that the defamation was performed with "actual malice".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Bloody google ....

Perhaps the inhabitants of s t m and other sites should bear that in mind.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #828 on: August 28, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Hmmm, despite being a no-news month yet again, August has seen the withdrawal of Stephen Birch, Miss L. Baulch and now Blacksmith from the fray. Sonia seems otherwise engaged losing a pearly-whites battle with Rylan on Daytime TV.
Which, as yet unpublicised, event has prompted the apparent beginning of the end?

I wonder if they know something the rest of us may find out in the fullness of time.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #829 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
Yes, unless you show me anything which states that libel by inference has been dropped from the statute books.

I can't find it the latest defamation legislation perhaps you can show me where it is?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Lyall

« Reply #830 on: August 28, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »

I wonder if they know something the rest of us may find out in the fullness of time.

No chance 8(0(*

Offline Anna

« Reply #831 on: August 28, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »

We appear to have slipped off topic. Can we please try and slip back on again.
Or, you can consider starting a new topic. Thank You.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Carew

« Reply #832 on: August 29, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
I still fail to see what, in essence, is different between Spivey's online behaviour and that of numerous "Maddie Justice Seekers" aka delusional conspiracy theorists. I guess it's only because the McCanns haven't got personal FB and twitter accounts that has (ironically) prevented these people from being convicted like Spivey has.
[/b]
This snip from a Sky News report mentions a "letter to the campaigners" from Leicester Police Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister.

Could those dossier compilers/campaigners in receipt of the letter not ask why it was determined that " none of the messages/postings constituted a prosecutable offence,"  ...........then you wouldn`t have to guess?

"In a letter to the campaigners, Leicestershire Police Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister said: "While finding that much of the material was extremely distasteful and unpleasant in nature, it was determined that none of the messages/postings constituted a prosecutable offence." 

http://news.sky.com/story/1475870/mccann-trolls-police-wont-take-action

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #833 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
[/b]
This snip from a Sky News report mentions a "letter to the campaigners" from Leicester Police Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister.

Could those dossier compilers/campaigners in receipt of the letter not ask why it was determined that " none of the messages/postings constituted a prosecutable offence," ...........then you wouldn`t have to guess?

"In a letter to the campaigners, Leicestershire Police Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister said: "While finding that much of the material was extremely distasteful and unpleasant in nature, it was determined that none of the messages/postings constituted a prosecutable offence." 

Maybe they did?  Who knows, in the meantime I'll just have to keep on "only asking questions" won't I?

Offline Carew

« Reply #834 on: August 29, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »
if i suspected a crime had been committed i would inform the police...simple

Compiling the "troll dossier" to present to the police can`t have been "simple," process, though.

It must have taken a considerable amount of time and effort, only for it to be rejected in terms of the prosecutions hoped for.

All I said was that it might have been a good idea to run the whole thing by a legal advisor first in order to assess its chances of achieving what the compilers and their supporters aimed for.

Offline Carew

« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
Maybe they did?  Who knows, in the meantime I'll just have to keep on "only asking questions" won't I?

Maybe asking your questions of someone who could answer might settle your mind.

How about a letter to the A.C.C. of Leicestershire Police , Roger Bannister?

Or maybe the dossier compilers themselves could let you know whether they were given reasons?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #836 on: August 29, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »
[/b]

Could those dossier compilers/campaigners in receipt of the letter not ask why it was determined that " none of the messages/postings constituted a prosecutable offence,"  ...........then you would`t have to guess?

Investigated for 8 months? I don't think so.

these posts if they were identified should have been seen as real threats and should have led to prosecutions IMO.

* SNIP*
"There were dozens of such individuals identified in the dossier. They had threatened violence and even death against the couple."

The online posts included words like petrol and matches, handcuffs, shooting, torture and lynching, Brunt said."

Brunt said and police did nothing?  No, I do not believe it.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #837 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »

That is one of the joys of living in a democracy Alfie.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #838 on: August 29, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »

No you won't snookums,

You already believe everything you are told by the MSM/McCanns.. so don't you worry your pretty lil head.

On the other hand... we will continue to ask questions.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #839 on: August 29, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »
Revealing that there are posters who judge as internet trolls those attempting to halt an eight+ year campaign of hatred and vilification directed at the family of a missing child.

All the more so when they have actually gone to the extent of organising themselves into internet packs to do so and stalking and trying to prevent every step along the way of the family's search for their child.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....