Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 162860 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #870 on: August 22, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »
The definition of a troll has changed. Initially it was;

a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

The media, it seems, have extended the definition to include;

online harassment. For example, the mass media have used "troll" to mean "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Which definition is used often depends on the readers opinion rather than on some neutral standard. People who behave in the manner described in the original definition are often the ones accusing others of 'trolling' by reference to the second definition imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #871 on: August 22, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »

a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

The media, it seems, have extended the definition to include;

online harassment. For example, the mass media have used "troll" to mean "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Which definition is used often depends on the readers opinion rather than on some neutral standard. People who behave in the manner described in the original definition are often the ones accusing others of 'trolling' by reference to the second definition imo.
By the first definition there is definitely one (self confessed) troll on this forum, and I can think of a few others, all sceptics incidentally.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #872 on: August 22, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
By the first definition there is definitely one (self confessed) troll on this forum, and I can think of a few others, all sceptics incidentally.

There are a couple of supporters whose whole presence here appears to be for the purpose of trolling.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #873 on: August 22, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
There are a couple of supporters whose whole presence here appears to be for the purpose of trolling.

I don't believe we have any trolls here just a couple of zealots from both camps.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #874 on: August 22, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
Who would that be?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #875 on: August 22, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Who would that be?

I don't think it would be appropriate for a mod to name names and in any event its only my perception.  The fact I perceive a couple of zealots here from both camps does not make me factually correct its just my perception.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #876 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »

Has it ever occurred to you your opinion might just be a Tad biased... You really don't do your credibility a lot of good with your post

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #877 on: August 22, 2019, 07:12:11 PM »
I don't think it would be appropriate for a mod to name names and in any event its only my perception.  The fact I perceive a couple of zealots here from both camps does not make me factually correct its just my perception.

I would say that mod is guilty of behaviour that fits the trolling definition

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #878 on: August 22, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »

I think it would be best fir mods not to describe postets as trolls or zealots... It's hardly adds to the smooth running of the forum

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #879 on: August 22, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »
I think it would be best fir mods not to describe postets as trolls or zealots... It's hardly adds to the smooth running of the forum

Mods are posters too and are allowed their opinions as you are allowed yours. The smooth running of the forum is not what you want Davel.Many of Your posts are evidence of such.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #880 on: August 22, 2019, 10:30:01 PM »
Mods are posters too and are allowed their opinions as you are allowed yours. The smooth running of the forum is not what you want Davel.Many of Your posts are evidence of such.
im not allowed to post my opinions...lets see if my posts are allowed to stay...if so I have no complaints. i dont really see how criticism of other posters is productive

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #881 on: August 22, 2019, 10:40:00 PM »

have alook at that...are you therefore referring to yourself

a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet

for the past couple of weeks the forum has run smoothly with no sanctions...then  a mod who hardly ever posts turns up with an inflammatory post   ...and gets four likes ...how absolutely childish
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:43:00 PM by Davel »

Offline sadie

« Reply #882 on: August 22, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
im not allowed to post my opinions...lets see if my posts are allowed to stay...if so I have no complaints. i dont really see how criticism of other posters is productive

Me neither, at times
or,
They are truncated so extremely that the meaning is totally changed.  Sometimes they are so cleverly truncated that they end up saying the exact opposite to what I actually said.

It has not been so bad recently tho' for me.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #883 on: August 22, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »
Me neither, at times
or,
They are truncated so extremely that the meaning is totally changed.  Sometimes they are so cleverly truncated that they end up saying the exact opposite to what I actually said.

It has not been so bad recently tho' for me.

I wouldnt call it cleverly truncated...I doubt they are capable of cleverness

Offline sadie

« Reply #884 on: August 22, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
I wouldnt call it cleverly truncated...I doubt they are capable of cleverness

Well it seems clever to me cos the pieces taken out sometimes makes the meaning completely opposite ... and that makes me  8()(((@#