Author Topic: Portuguese civil libel law ...  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Portuguese civil libel law ...
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
Agreed.  Thanks Anna

However that said the action taken by the mccanns is under the civil code - where the remedy is usually financial.

It does occur to me that amaral may technically have been able to bring  an action against the mccanns under the penal code for criminal defamation.  (Such are the vagaries of Portuguese law and a hark back to the days of the ancien regime).  But is out of time.

Do you mean a counter action?

That could be interesting. LOL

Offline Carana

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
"Difamação" as such doesn't seem to be a term in the civil code.

The civil code seems to be about the juxtaposition of one party's rights versus those of the other party.

Media law seems to consider both, but I don't recall arguments pertaining to the criminal code being used in this case. Elements were raised in the Murat appeal, but he was suing a newspaper.

Offline Anna

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
"Difamação" as such doesn't seem to be a term in the civil code.

The civil code seems to be about the juxtaposition of one party's rights versus those of the other party.

Media law seems to consider both, but I don't recall arguments pertaining to the criminal code being used in this case. Elements were raised in the Murat appeal, but he was suing a newspaper.

The case was not tried as a criminal case, Carana.
 It was a damage caused by defamation case.
I am sure Defamation is mentioned to have been tried in the civil courts in one the posts that I have posted, but it is classed as claims for "Damages"(resulting in defamation)
I will post an interesting interview shortly that does mention the civil court.
The words of a newspaper, book, media were all involved in the trial, so I would think that media law is the one to look at. IMO

“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Carana

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
The case was not tried as a criminal case, Carana.
 It was a damage caused by defamation case.
I am sure Defamation is mentioned to have been tried in the civil courts in one the posts that I have posted, but it is classed as claims for "Damages"(resulting in defamation)
I will post an interesting interview shortly that does mention the civil court.
The words of a newspaper, book, media were all involved in the trial, so I would think that media law is the one to look at. IMO

No, I know it wasn't tried as a criminal defamation suit.

One of the defences in their media law is exceptio veritatis, which was set aside in this case, apart from verifying that "for the main part" the allegations were based on an interpretation of selected statements / reports in the first part of the police files, but which hadn't been tested in court.

Offline Anna

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
How I see it…………………………..

There are actionable cases for the following
the written word(Libel) or (defamation)
Another concerning the spoken word. (insult) or (defamation )
And also a case for, the damages resulting from the above, usually tried in a civil court.

Since The Amaral/McCann case is concerned with the written word and media release, I would think it was covered in the same category as Journalism/media, defamation/libel/Damages

It seems that although defamation is a criminal offence in Portugal, it can be tried in the civil courts also, when the case is in main, for..
 the damages caused and compensation for the same.

If proved that damage was caused, there is no  defence that can be offered.
The words were either uttered / written, or they were not.
Even if the words  were true, it has little bearing on the outcome of the case, which is a matter of harm caused by the words

If damage/suffering  has been proved to have  caused that person or families in respect of their good name, family life, rights to privacy wellbeing and honour…………….It is an offence.

Insult, defamation, Libel, call it what you wish. It all boils down to same conclusions IMO

It also appears to me that the compensation award  is higher, if taken to the civil courts, however, you may read into that  differently.

So I can only conclude  from what I have read, that the upcoming appeal by G Amaral is the amount awarded to the McCanns.

Please feel free to correct me if you disagree with the above.
It is only what I believe to be the gist of  all the reading I have done and I am sure that many of you who have more experience in Portuguese law, such as Jeane Piere, will have come to a different conclusion…..Please share your experience and thoughts.
If I have got it wrong, I will delete all of the above or amend.

………………………………................

This interview is with a very learned person, whom I am sure you have all heard of…
Francisco Teixeira da Mota, a Lisbon-based human-rights attorney and one of Portugal’s foremost experts on free expression and the law.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Portuguese defamation laws still reflect ‘authoritarian concept of power’, expert says
Despite positive influence of ECtHR, clearer defences and caps on damages seen as necessary to combat chilling effect

Plenary room of the European Court of Human Rights. The Court has been significantly influenced the judging of defamation cases in Portugal, according to one of the country's leading free-expression lawyers. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler

[Note: This article is part of our series "Notes from the Field: EU Defamation Laws and Journalism".]
It was the kind of small-town political scandal that would scarcely raise an eyebrow in cities with bigger fish to fry. But when Jornal do Centro, a weekly newspaper in the central Portuguese town of Viseu, suggested in 2002 that a local courthouse’s donation of used furniture to charity was marred by favouritism, it apparently bit off more than it could chew. The court and the ‘lucky’ beneficiary that reportedly received nearly half of the pieces brought criminal defamation charges; the paper’s editor, together with the journalist who broke the story, were convicted and ordered to pay fines of €2,000 each.
Twelve years later, the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) finally gave Jornal do Centro the last word. In strikingly straightforward terms, a seven-judge panel unanimously ruled in April 2014 that the Portuguese courts had violated the paper’s right to investigate and comment on matters of public interest.
It probably did not hurt that Jornal do Centro was represented by Francisco Teixeira da Mota, a Lisbon-based human-rights attorney and one of Portugal’s foremost experts on free expression and the law. The author of the books Freedom of Expression in Court (2013) and The European Court of Human Rights and Freedom of Expression – Portuguese Cases (2009), Teixeira da Mota has successfully defended the rights of Portuguese journalists targeted in defamation proceedings on numerous occasions before the ECtHR (among others, in
Welsh and Silva Canha v. Portugal [2013], Público and others v. Portugal [2010] and Lopes Gomes da Silva v Portugal [2000]).

IPI’s Scott Griffen recently spoke to Teixeira da Mota about the value of the ECtHR in influencing national courts, the evolution of the right to free expression in Portugal, and the legal reforms needed to bring Portugal’s defamation laws in line with international standards.
---
IPI: Mr. Teixeira da Mota, how important has the ECtHR been for protecting the rights of the Portuguese media?

Teixeira da Mota: Very important. Over the years, the jurisprudence of the ECtHR has significantly changed the way Portuguese courts understand freedom of expression. Nowadays Portuguese courts rarely decide freedom of expression cases without referring to the ECtHR, even if they sometimes incorrectly apply ECtHR jurisprudence.

IPI: What are the main problems, if any, with the application of ECtHR and international principles on defamation and free expression in the Portuguese courts?

Teixeira da Mota: Portuguese courts traditionally placed a high value on the rights to honour and reputation and considered freedom of expression a second-class freedom compared to those rights. Even today there remains in many cases a tendency to place too much value on the words, image, and reputation of powerful figures when weighed against critical opinions about those figures. Courts continue, at times, to not distinguish between assertions of fact and value judgments, which obviously ends up harming freedom of expression.

IPI: Has the Portuguese courts’ approach to defamation cases evolved during your career? Do you see a positive trend?
There has definitely been an evolution among Portuguese courts in the sense of a better appreciation for freedom of expression and an acceptance of the jurisprudence of the ECtHR beginning with the condemnation of Portugal in the case Lopes Gomes da Silva v. Portugal (2000) and successive condemnations thereafter. The office of the Prosecutor General has produced a recommendation to this effect.
(Ed. Lopes Gomes da Silva concerned the application of a Portuguese journalist, Vicente Jorge Lopes Gomes da Silva, who had been convicted on appeal of criminally libelling a candidate for the Lisbon City Council in an opinion column, and ordered to pay a criminal fine as well as damages.)

IPI: How is the protection of reputation viewed in Portuguese society? Has this view changed over time?

Teixeira da Mota: Portuguese society has evolved in the sense indicated above, even though there are still powerful figures who are uncomfortable with freedom of expression when such expression is blunt or aggressive and relating to themselves. The Latin-Mediterranean concept of honour is quite broad…

IPI: According to IPI's research, Portugal is among 20 EU countries in which defamation remains a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment. Does this special "criminal" nature pose a particular threat to freedom of expression?

Teixeira da Mota: It is a fact that the criminalisation of speech constitutes a threat and has a chilling effect, but the large damage amounts in civil cases can cause even greater fear among journalists and media companies, given that in the democratic era there has never been a conviction for defamation that resulted in actual incarceration.

IPI: In Portugal's Criminal Code, defamation is more harshly punished when the offended party is a public official (Art. 184). Why was this provision included in the Code? Is it problematic in your view?

Teixeira da Mota: It is a clear and unfortunate indication of the authoritarian concept of power in Portugal and reinforces a restrictive vision of free expression that has always prevailed in Portuguese society.

IPI: What would you say are the most important reforms that need to be made to Portuguese defamation law, both criminal and civil, in order to meet modern standards?

Teixeira da Mota: It would be desirable for defamation to be decriminalised or, at least and for now, considering existing reality, to not provide for the possibility of imprisonment.
In civil cases, there should be clear rules in terms of possible defences. In Portugal, for example, there is a strand of opinion among the courts holding that in the case of a defamatory allegation [non-pecuniary] damages are owed – even if the allegation is true.
Limits should be established relative to the levels of [non-pecuniary] damages, as well as of material damages.

IPI: Is there enough awareness among journalists in Portugal about defamation laws? Is it important that journalists have at least a basic understanding about such laws?

Teixeira da Mota: Journalists normally learn about defamation laws when they have been accused [of defamation] or are defendants in a case. It is of certainly important that they have knowledge of existing laws but they also need to know about the rights and liberties [protected by] the ECtHR and the Constitution.

IPI: In July, the ECtHR Grand Chamber held a hearing in the case
Delfi AS v. Estonia following a chamber decision last year that said online media outlets had an active responsibility to remove defamatory user comments.

You have expressed concern about that decision. If the ruling is upheld, what consequences could it have for freedom of expression online?

Teixeira da Mota: It seems to me that the decision of the ECtHR in that case did not strike the correct balance among the rights, duties, and behaviours in play given that Delfi removed the comments after being alerted to them. It seems to me that if the decision is confirmed by the Grand Chamber it will reduce the space of freedom of expression by causing a chilling and censoring effect among news outlets at the level of user comments, which in any event is already starting to occur.
Interview translated from the Portuguese by Scott Griffen.
Published on Sept. 5, 2014.

http://www.freemedia.at/newssview/article/portuguese-defamation-laws-still-reflect-authoritarian-concept-of-power-expert-says.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:40:36 PM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
No, I know it wasn't tried as a criminal defamation suit.

One of the defences in their media law is exceptio veritatis, which was set aside in this case, apart from verifying that "for the main part" the allegations were based on an interpretation of selected statements / reports in the first part of the police files, but which hadn't been tested in court.

They could hardly have claimed "Exceptio Veritatis" as a defense. Could they?

1 - First acquittal cause:

the defense of truth or "exceptio veritatis"

It should provide the perfect proof of all facts mentioned in the article and
considered defamatory. Each term should be published proven.
The Supreme Court considers that there is "need to achieve absolute certainty."
##

This offer of proof must be made within 10 days of notification of the summons to
appear, which is a very short time and which implies that the reporter
made his case before receiving the summons (section 55 of 1881 Act).
But beware, all the evidence is not admitted, including those not
obtained by unlawful means.
On this last point, one of the great debates of recent years regarding the elements of
evidence and pieces from a case file.
These pieces are indeed covered by the secrecy of the investigation that requires lawyers
magistrates parties in the case, but not directly journalists. They can not
therefore not be prosecuted for violation of the confidentiality of investigations. In contrast,
jurisprudence coined the handling offense of violation of confidentiality of investigations.
The consequence is simple: the journalist who decides to produce his pieces to prove his
good faith is then found guilty of helping to violate the confidentiality of investigations.

Furthermore, Article 35 of the Law of 29 July 1881 excludes the possibility for a journalist
to defend himself by proving the truth of the facts:

- When the imputation concerning the person's privacy
- When the allegation refers to facts dating back more than ten years
- When the allegation refers to a fact constituting an amnestied offense or
prescribed, or has resulted in a conviction expunged through rehabilitation or
revision. "

2 - Second cause acquittal: the proof of good faith.
Failing perfect proof, defamation may be waived if four conditions are met
cumulatively, specific to attest to the good faith of the journalist. It should prove:
• The legitimacy of the aim pursued by the journalist inform,
• The lack of personal animosity journalist with regard to the person defamed,
• Caution and measuring the expression,
• The quality and thoroughness of the investigation.
It is necessary to have a very comprehensive set of papers: the journalist must have collected the views
the person defamed or at least proof that the person has been attached, certificates
other interviewees, documents collected during the investigation, etc ..
Documents must be prior to the publication of the article. Courts are
less demanding for a news article for an investigative article. The critics
Literary and Artistic receive a spirit of tolerance; they are free but must
remain correct, show no malicious intent and not degenerate into
insulting denigration.

Civil and criminal sanctions
Defamation can be prosecuted in the civil or criminal courts at the option of
applicant
. A fine of EUR 12 000 is planned against the person
responsible.
 damages Can be added in favor of the person defamed.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lapressemagazine.fr%2Fdownload%2F217
― Plato

Offline Carana

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »
LOL Anna.

No, but in the Murat v CdaM case, CdaM waffled that they'd made serious attempts to cross-check information via different sources - but, of course, journalists' sources are protected.

As far as I understand it, in the a quo Murat trial, he lost because he couldn't prove that the allegations were false, and the burden of proof normally falls on the plaintiff in a civil case. It was the appellate judge who invoked media law (which the a quo judge presumably should have done anyway), which would normally have shifted the burden over again (as the media have responsibilities), but it was fairly obvious that most of it came from salacious details fluttering out of PJ windows, which may be why the appeal judge also set exceptio veritatis aside in that case... as none of it had been tested in court.

In the McCann case, the judge made a point of noting that "for the main part", the "facts" came from the files, but the "facts" hadn't been tested, and Amaral claimed other supposedly privileged information, which couldn't have been proven either way anyway.

It's tortuous, but quite interesting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:44:23 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »
The McCann case really boils down to a tug of war about respective rights - the McCanns' right to a good name, etc, and Amaral's right to freedom of expression. Both are on a par, in theory, yet the case has to be resolved one way or another.

The stalemate was broken by examining whether:

a) rights had been infringed

b) damage had been caused

c) whether Amaral's actions were unlawful in any way.

ferryman

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
The McCann case really boils down to a tug of war about respective rights - the McCanns' right to a good name, etc, and Amaral's right to freedom of expression. Both are on a par, in theory, yet the case has to be resolved one way or another.

The stalemate was broken by examining whether:

a) rights had been infringed

b) damage had been caused

c) whether Amaral's actions were unlawful in any way.

Surely there was also the plain, old-fashioned element of determining whether anything Amaral said that tended to lower the reputation of the McCanns could be demonstrably demonstrated as false/untrue.

There was -- in spades ....

Offline Anna

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
LOL Anna.

No, but in the Murat v CdaM case, CdaM waffled that they'd made serious attempts to cross-check information via different sources - but, of course, journalists' sources are protected.

As far as I understand it, in the a quo Murat trial, he lost because he couldn't prove that the allegations were false, and the burden of proof normally falls on the plaintiff in a civil case. It was the appellate judge who invoked media law (which the a quo judge presumably should have done anyway), which would normally have shifted the burden over again (as the media have responsibilities), but it was fairly obvious that most of it came from salacious details fluttering out of PJ windows, which may be why the appeal judge also set exceptio veritatis aside in that case... as none of it had been tested in court.

In the McCann case, the judge made a point of noting that "for the main part", the "facts" came from the files, but the "facts" hadn't been tested, and Amaral claimed other supposedly privileged information, which couldn't have been proven either way anyway.

It's tortuous, but quite interesting.

It's Very interesting, Carana.

I read all of RM court case and several others.

McCanns versus Amaral  is like a world war dog fight from what I can see.

Amaral, has no defense with which to achieve an acquittal, so he must be appealing to have the award(which is deemed to be paid by himself) reduced.
What else could he do?

He would have to prove that the damages to the mccanns privacy, god name and rights to honour were in fact not affected.

No! That cannot be used as a defense..... So its back to the amount of damages payable.
Unless of course he is going to contest the whole judgement of the Judge.........................Would he??? Nah!

― Plato

Offline Carana

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 06:37:39 PM »
Surely there was also the plain, old-fashioned element of determining whether anything Amaral said that tended to lower the reputation of the McCanns could be demonstrably demonstrated as false/untrue.

There was -- in spades ....

If this trial had ben in the UK, yes, no doubt.

However, the judge didn't want to go into that... it would have opened a whole can of worms that would have been the remit of a criminal trial to work out (if his allegations had been presented as the prosecution's case).

She limited it to checking that some basic facts were indeed in the files... yep, dogs barked, yep, there was some DNA issue, yep, JT said she saw a man, TdeA wrote a report... She also noted that some things weren't in the files.

Without going into all that, she examined the archiving ruling, as a source from someone who had examined the files in depth and not just the cherry-picked bits.

Offline Carana

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »

Amaral, has no defense with which to achieve an acquittal, so he must be appealing to have the award(which is deemed to be paid by himself) reduced.
What else could he do?

He would have to prove that the damages to the mccanns privacy, god name and rights to honour were in fact not affected.

No! That cannot be used as a defense..... So its back to the amount of damages payable.
Unless of course he is going to contest the whole judgement of the Judge.........................Would he??? Nah!

This is never-a-dull-moment Portugal, so anything's possible.

For the moment, I don't see how even he imagines that it will be overturned, although I expect that he will try.

He may be hoping to get away with €15k or so to pay as damages, and keep all the rest. It's the "not profiting from illicit gains" that seems to have determined the amount.

His post-trial spoutings have given a fair indication of what his arguments will be, IMO.

ferryman

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
If this trial had ben in the UK, yes, no doubt.

However, the judge didn't want to go into that... it would have opened a whole can of worms that would have been the remit of a criminal trial to work out (if his allegations had been presented as the prosecution's case).

She limited it to checking that some basic facts were indeed in the files... yep, dogs barked, yep, there was some DNA issue, yep, JT said she saw a man, TdeA wrote a report... She also noted that some things weren't in the files.

Without going into all that, she examined the archiving ruling, as a source from someone who had examined the files in depth and not just the cherry-picked bits.

I believe the majority of the case was decided on written submissions, simply never seen on-line ...

ferryman

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

What else could he do?

He would have to prove that the damages to the mccanns privacy, good name and rights to honour were in fact not affected.

Agreed (the whole post, but particularly the part I underline).

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »
am I right in thinking that the Judge gave amaral leave to appeal but that does not give him the right to an appeal hearing...the right to an appeal has yet to be decided