Author Topic: Why Were We Lied to By the BBC ?  (Read 49357 times)

Offline misty

Re: Why Were We Lied to By the BBC ?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
The pertinent point being 'a long time ago'. As of this morning we know that MS did ask the BBC for a retraction and they obliged.

I do wonder if as well as asking MS and his wife to help in the construction of efits Oakley interviewed them as well. Perhaps that is the reason the the PI's report was withheld ?

According to the article, it was actually the journalist who asked why the BBC had refused to correct the programme content, based on what MS had told her. The BBC obliged the journalist, not Martin Smith.
It is not my opinion that the Oakley report was withheld because of the Smiths.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
Yet, as was pointed out a long time ago, MS never appeared to ask for a correction from the Sunday Times who published the same retraction of opinion as the BBC.

Does that make it one all on aggregate?
Looks to Charon [or Kharon depending upon whether the school you attended played cricket or conkers] for a ruling.....  ?{)(**

p.s you should be a happy bunny, the Toffees are being pineappled.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
The pertinent point being 'a long time ago'. As of this morning we know that MS did ask the BBC for a retraction and they obliged.

I do wonder if as well as asking MS and his wife to help in the construction of efits Oakley interviewed them as well. Perhaps that is the reason the the PI's report was withheld ?
Do we have a written text transcript version of the request for a retraction and the transcript text of the retraction?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »
According to the article, it was actually the journalist who asked why the BBC had refused to correct the programme content, based on what MS had told her. The BBC obliged the journalist, not Martin Smith.
It is not my opinion that the Oakley report was withheld because of the Smiths.

Martin Smith contacted Panorama after the programme was broadcast and complained that he had been misrepresented. The BBC refused. Perhaps the Times did too. Thankfully the BBC has no corrected their mistake. It does make you wonder though where Bilton got the information from and why he didn't verify that information instead of attempting to interview some poor bewildered Portuguese citizen.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
Martin Smith contacted Panorama after the programme was broadcast and complained that he had been misrepresented. The BBC refused. Perhaps the Times did too. Thankfully the BBC has no corrected their mistake. It does make you wonder though where Bilton got the information from and why he didn't verify that information instead of attempting to interview some poor bewildered Portuguese citizen.

Do you have an alternative cite for MS contacting Panorama prior to Gemma O'Doherty interview?

Offline jassi

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
Of course. That explains why they spoke to Gemma O'Doherty recently - according to what she wrote; they also apparently confirmed that Mary Smith did address Smithman in passing. No direct quotes, though.

No doubt she asked nicely, and being fellow Irish, they were happy to oblige   ?{)(**
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
Do you have an alternative cite for MS contacting Panorama prior to Gemma O'Doherty interview?

Do you think that the BBC would have issued a retraction if MS had retracted his identification?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline misty

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »
Do you think that the BBC would have issued a retraction if MS had retracted his identification?

I think the BBC would be more likely to issue a retraction following a formal complaint by MS than via an email from a journalist who had spoken to him. What do you think?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
What! did he try and interview Goncalo?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
I think the BBC would be more likely to issue a retraction following a formal complaint by MS than via an email from a journalist who had spoken to him. What do you think?

I really don't care. What does interest me is that the retraction was made.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
No doubt she asked nicely, and being fellow Irish, they were happy to oblige   ?{)(**
Since you have "no doubt" I must presume that is an opinion, but I'm not sure it is all that PC.
Moderation

Offline misty

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »

And the retraction is absolutely irrelevant as MS stated in his original deposition to the PJ  that he would be unable to recognise the man he saw again. If an innocent father was to come forward, the Smith family would be unable to confirm that he was definitely the man they saw.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »

You wonder if they have approached the Sunday Times yet? I suppose it depends how it got in that story in the first place.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
And the retraction is absolutely irrelevant as MS stated in his original deposition to the PJ  that he would be unable to recognise the man he saw again. If an innocent father was to come forward, the Smith family would be unable to confirm that he was definitely the man they saw.
Who said that Misty?  No one person should be allowed to say that for a group.  IMO there is a problem here. 
Moderation

Offline misty

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
Who said that Misty?  No one person should be allowed to say that for a group.  IMO there is a problem here.

Group collaboration does not seem to be an issue in certain quarters when it comes to the evidence of the Smith family IMO. Certainly the description of Smithman's clothing was a collective effort.