Author Topic: Cressida Dick says enquiry will continue until it has reached its conclusion.  (Read 6369 times)

Offline faithlilly

According to the Star tomorrow the Met are going to look forever.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/749092/maddie-madeleine-mccann-investigation-kate-and-gerry-police-cressida-dick

Maddie hunt will NEVER stop until she’s found – UK top cop’s new pledge to McCanns

MADDIE McCann detectives will not give up the hunt even though cash is so tight more officers could lose their jobs, Britain's top police chief has said.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick said the controversial Operation Grange inquiry into the youngster's 2007 disappearance in Portugal will go on until it “has reached its conclusion”.

She revealed she was part of the team that set up the investigation eight years ago following a personal plea by Madeleine's doctor parents Kate and Gerry to then prime minister David Cameron.

Then an assistant commissioner in the Met, Dick said she had supported the move by the London-based force to launch a probe into the mystery even though it appeared to have no jurisdiction.

Since then Scotland Yard has spent nearly £12million of taxpayers' cash on the inquiry but no-one has been charged.

In November the Home Office granted the force an extra £150,000 to continue the probe until at least April next year.

The move sparked criticism from the Police Federation and some former Met officers who argued the money would be better spent tackling London's record number of homicides, knife crime and terrorism.

The commissioner said she understood their concerns but felt the Madeleine investigation was too important to shelve and she had set no time limit on it.

Dick said: “I was there when it was set up originally.

“I remember when this piece of work was started and why.

“I was an AC at the time.

“I can understand why some people may feel differently but I think it is quite right that we should continue until it has reached its conclusion.”

Dick admitted the Met was still short of cash despite Home Secretary Sajid Javid last week pledging an extra £1bn to forces nationwide.

The commissioner said the Met could benefit from an extra £84m if London mayor Sadiq Khan chose to generate the maximum amount permissible via council tax rises.

But she admitted that may not be enough to save officers' jobs following years of cutbacks.

However she said that would not impact on Operation Grange.

“I am quite happy it should continue until we find out what happened or we have exhausted all possible lines of inquiry,” she said.

“It's not a huge amount of money and it's not large number of officers.''

Referring to the force's determination to trace and bring to justice the poisoners of Salisbury spy Sergie Skripal she added: ``We never give up in the Met.

“We never have.

“We never forget.”

The news will come as a massive boost to Madeleine's parents who earlier this year had feared it could shelved and they would have to fund private detectives to continue the search.

Then-three-year-old Madeleine vanished from the family's holiday apartment in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz 11 years ago while her parents dined with pals in a nearby tapas bar.

Portuguese police archived the case as `unsolved' in 2008.

They are now working alongside Met detectives in a bid to determine what happened.

Last month it was revealed both forces were probing if Madeleine had come to harm after walking out of the apartment in a bid to find her parents.

Until then the Met thought she either disturbed burglars or was abducted.

The McCanns continue to believe she was snatched from her bed by an intruder and may still be alive.

Ms Dick declined to discuss “operational details”.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/749092/maddie-madeleine-mccann-investigation-kate-and-gerry-police-cressida-dick

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:10:03 PM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

Oh dear, cue gnashing of teeth.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

Let’s hope Kate’s Christmas message this year refelects her gratefulness for the effort the Met are going to.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Alice Purjorick

Cressida Dick said:
"Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick said the controversial Operation Grange inquiry into the youngster's 2007 disappearance in Portugal will go on until it “has reached its conclusion”"

Spot the difference.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Lace

Cressida Dick said:
"Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick said the controversial Operation Grange inquiry into the youngster's 2007 disappearance in Portugal will go on until it “has reached its conclusion”"

Spot the difference.

That's very good news.

Offline Mr Gray

That's very good news.

Excellent  news

Offline Erngath

That's very good news.

Indeed it is.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

Round Two.  Seconds Out.

Offline pathfinder73

I've always said it would go on. How could it not with what they know.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Sunny

I've always said it would go on. How could it not with what they know.

One question though. Is it up to Cressida Dick or the Home Secretary to make any decision about continuing and ultimately ending Operation Grange.  Would the Metropolitan Police continue if the HO pulled special funding?

Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline The General

Excellent  news
It is. It may mean that the net is closing in on the perpetrator(s).
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

It is. It may mean that the net is closing in on the perpetrator(s).

Let's hope so... Tik tok

Offline Alice Purjorick

One question though. Is it up to Cressida Dick or the Home Secretary to make any decision about continuing and ultimately ending Operation Grange.  Would the Metropolitan Police continue if the HO pulled special funding?

I was more interested in which was correct.
The Star saying it will go on "for ever" suggesting that OG hasn't a clue where it's at, or Cressida Dick saying "until it reaches a conclusion" which cannot mean for ever....... (SNAFU)...........*%87
Faites vos jeux.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Venturi Swirl

The Star saying it will go on "for ever" suggesting that OG hasn't a clue where it's at, or Cressida Dick saying "until it reaches a conclusion" which cannot mean for ever....... (SNAFU)...........*%87
Faites vos jeux.
Faithlilly used the words “forever”, no one else did afaik.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

Faites vos jeux.

I think it's, faithlilly who used the phrase.... So who do we believe...... Faith or Cressida

(SBLAC)