Author Topic: Leonor lawyer, João Grade, caught taking drugs into woman's prison.  (Read 9488 times)

Offline John

Lawyer caught with drugs in jail.

The lawyer for Leonor Cipriano was arrested for drug possession, yesterday afternoon, at the entrance of the Beja Regional Prison, where he was talking with clients.  João Grade dos Santos, 50, was visiting three inmates - one of Joana's mother - and, according to information from the Territorial Brigade of Évora GNR, Command prison guards found during the security screening, 45 doses of amphetamine and a quarter of a tablet of ecstasy.

Portuguese lawyer João Grade dos Santos found with drugs.

Correio da Manhã
18 April 2008

The arrest of the lawyer, 50, took place on Thursday afternoon as he prepared to visit two female inmates in prison Beja, which is no longer Leonor Cipriano, accused of the murder of his daughter and sentenced to 16 years in jail.

According to sources the GNR, the military security force detected amphetamines in individual doses equivalent to 45 and a quarter pill "ecstasy" amount.

The Court of Beja determined as a measure of coercion lawyer the disclaimer Identity and Residence (TIR).

The same source assured Lusa that the reclusive Leonor Cipriano is no longer at the Prison of Beja, but claimed to be unaware where he was transferred.

"I'm stunned by the whole situation," he explained to Lusa attorney.  João Grade dos Santos said the bags were delivered to him "to take them to one of the inmates, whose house, where they were, had been subject to searches by the Judicial Police."
 "I hope that the case be clarified with the utmost urgency, to defend my good name and my honor," added the lawyer.

João Grade Santos filed a complaint with the Public Ministry against five officers of the Judicial Police, under the Joana case.  The lawyer accused the agents who followed the case of torturing their client to get a confession of the crime.  The body of Joan, only 8 years old, never came up.

Article
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:10:42 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Anna

Re: Leonor lawyer, João Grade, caught taking drugs into woman's prison.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »
Did you know that Leonor's defence lawyer who supposedly defended her in the trial was also a friend of Amaral and attended his birthday party . he was caught taking drugs into the prison. but I didn't see it come to trial. I believe he defended Amaral afterwards in another trial. Would you believe it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:58:32 PM by John »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
Did you know that Leonor's defence lawyer who supposedly defended her in the trial was also a friend of Amaral and attended his birthday party . he was caught taking drugs into the prison. but I didn't see it come to trial. I believe he defended Amaral afterwards in another trial. Would you believe it!

I would now.

Was that the case where Isobel Duarte defended the two people on trial?  You know, the one in which Amaral was defending his non existent honour.

Amaral lost, I am not surprised to say.

Leonor Cipriano was so very badly let down, and I hope she gets loads of money one day.

Offline Anna

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
I would now.

Was that the case where Isobel Duarte defended the two people on trial?  You know, the one in which Amaral was defending his non existent honour.

Amaral lost, I am not surprised to say.

Leonor Cipriano was so very badly let down, and I hope she gets loads of money one day.

Here you go:
A LAWYER who is defending Leonor Cipriano in the alleged case of torture during police interrogation was arrested for the possession of drugs at the Odemira women’s prison in the Alentejo yesterday (Thursday).Lusa news agency reported that João Grade was arrested carrying 45 doses of amphetamines and a quarter of a tablet of ecstasy while visiting the prison.A spokesman for the GNR confirmed to The Resident that a man aged around 50 years old was arrested carrying that same quantity of drugs, but could not confirm the name.“The man was interrogated by the police and was set free the same day, to await a court date,” said the GNR spokesman. 1">news - See more at: http://portugalresident.com/cipriano-lawyer-arrested-for-possession-of-drugs-at-prison#sthash.7C6NSaK1.dpuf
http://portugalresident.com/cipriano-lawyer-arrested-for-possession-of-drugs-at-prison
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:38:52 PM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline Carana

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
@ Anna

I don't recall having read any more about that. A man aged "around 50" visiting someone in prison could be anyone. It could be another half-baked leak.

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
@ Anna

I don't recall having read any more about that. A man aged "around 50" visiting someone in prison could be anyone. It could be another half-baked leak.

The case was shelved, I believe. He is a friend of Amaral's now
 I know that we cant rely on the press after what happened to Leonor and her family. The forum and stories on the internet aren't much better and there is very few if any, who get the details correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This has not been checked, so it is Google which we apparently, now have to use!
19 april 2008 CDM

Beja: Arrested for carrying amphetamines and ecstasy

Lawyer caught with drugs in jail

The lawyer for Leonor Cipriano was arrested for drug possession, yesterday afternoon, at the entrance of the Beja Regional Prison, where he was talking with clients. João Grade dos Santos, 50, was visiting three inmates - one of Joana's mother - and, according to information from the Territorial Brigade of Évora GNR, Command prison guards found during the security screening, 45 doses of amphetamine and a quarter of a tablet of ecstasy.

The drugs were in a glasses case, one of the bags that transported the lawyer to deliver a German citizen, his client, held in February in Albufeira, on suspicion of drug trafficking.

João Grade dos Santos said yesterday that the CM did not know there were drugs in the bag and secured innocence. "My client is a foreigner and do not know anyone in the country," says the lawyer.

's Belongings have been arrested in the apartment where she lived when she was arrested - and that had been the target of search by the Judiciary - and the owner will need the same space. "They asked me to go get the bags I received from a lady of about 60 years - which offered me suspicious -., And delivered them at the gate of the prison without opening them I hoped, after the search, there was nothing illegal in that home, "he says.

The lawyer was already in the parlor of the Beja chain of its customers when it was "informed of the finding" reports. "It was an absolute surprise. I was astonished. Neither know what type of drug was for sure," says João Grade dos Santos. Heard how the defendant GNR Milfontes, where he was in his car yesterday afternoon left at liberty, after providing Term Identity and Residence.

Outraged by the fact that yesterday, the news of his arrest is already public knowledge, João Grade dos Santos is considered the victim in his honor: "We know now what is the secret of justice or the presumption of innocence." However, the barrister is confident that the situation - that ranked as "regrettable mistake" - has no impact on your career. "I have many years and proven. Such suspicions do not fit in my personality or the person I am. Just did a favor, in good faith, and no one was more surprised when the drug was found," he says.

ORDER SUPPORT WARRANT

The Chairman of the Delegation of Portimão Bar Association (OA) is integral with João Grade dos Santos and ensures that "OA is available to support you." "This is an excellent lawyer, of great character and integrity. Hopefully this is not a situation set up by someone less scrupulous and everything is cleared up quickly," said Carla Silva and Cunha, for whom "there was certainly a failure here, we do not know who. " "I have no doubt that the innocence of João Grade dos Santos will become established. A person in question would be unable, given their human and professional attributes of, in any way, violate the law," it said.

The lawyer for Leonor Cipriano was arrested for drug possession, yesterday afternoon, at the entrance of the Beja Regional Prison, where he was talking with clients. João Grade dos Santos, 50, was visiting three inmates - one of Joana's mother - and, according to information from the Territorial Brigade of Évora GNR, Command prison guards found during the security screening, 45 doses of amphetamine and a quarter of a tablet of ecstasy.

CM - I knew there were drugs in the bags of your client?

João Grade dos Santos - No. I gave them to the gate of the prison, where they would be searched, as I received them in Albufeira. The apartment of my client, held for trafficking, had been the target of search by PJ. I was astounded when the prison guards told me they had found drugs. I have been sucker, but I'm not a criminal.

Suspected trap?
- No. I believe that this was all a mistake, that the drug escaped the pursuit of PJ and the doaparthotel charge that handed me the bags also contained what he saw. l

AUTHORIZATION
Once that process is secret justice, João Grade dos Santos sought permission yesterday - and was granted - the Faro District Council of the Bar to provide statements to the media in defense of honor "in the same square where it is being hit hard, "despite being" completely innocent ".

UP TO 15 YEARS

João Grade dos Santos incurs aggravated trafficking crime - punishable by up to 15 years in prison. The situation is the result not only of the amount of drug, which is considered higher than for their own consumption, but also by being a lawyer.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmjornal.xl.pt%2Fdetalhe%2Fnoticias%2Fnacional%2Fportugal%2Fadvogado-apanhado-com-droga-na-cadeia

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmjornal.xl.pt%2Fdetalhe%2Fnoticias%2Fnacional%2Fportugal%2Fadvogado-apanhado-com-droga-na-cadeia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
Amaral to train with former “enemy”

23 November 2009

Gonçalo Amaral’s patron was Leonor Cipriano’s defender until the trial of five PJ inspectors over torture on Joana’s mother. Now they are great friends

by Rute Coelho

Life’s irony: Gonçalo Amaral, who in court helped to condemn Joana’s mother over her daughter’s death, is going to train, from January onwards, at the Portimão office of João Grade dos Santos, Leonor Cipriano’s first lawyer.

On the other hand, João Grade stopped defending Leonor – who exchanged him for lawyer Marcos Aragão Correia – on the eve of the trial of the five PJ inspectors and former inspectors that stood accused by the Public Ministry of torture over Joana’s mother.

“Since the first moment of the Joana case, I never forgot that I was merely a lawyer playing my role, and Amaral was a policeman”, João Grade dos Santos told 24horas.

“Gonçalo contacted me to become his patron during the training, which is due to start in January. Given the fact that he resides in Portimão and I have an office there, I think he chose me for a practical reason”, he explains. “That would be the reason, otherwise he would have proposed to practise at the office of his lawyer, António Cabrita [head of the Faro District division of the Lawyer’s Order], with whom he has an excellent relationship”, the lawyer explains.

It’s been months since João Grade dos Santos and Gonçalo Amaral started regular contact. “We speak very often”, the patron says about the retired inspector. João Grade even believes that the former inspector who led the Joana case investigation “may have been the victim of an injustice in the process over torture against Leonor Cipriano”.

Lawyer João Grade dos Santos

Gonçalo Amaral ended up being condemned, on the 22nd of May this year (2009), to a penalty of one year and six months in prison, suspended for a similar period, over the crime of false deposition. He was acquitted of the crime of omission of denunciation. The former coordinator in the Joana case investigation has appealed the sentence.

Read more...

NB: Original source 24Horas (23 Nov 2009) now removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:56:31 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
Diário de Notícias

Lawyer arrested for taking drugs says it all a mistake.

by JOSÉ MANUEL OLIVEIRA
19 April 2008   

Lawyer João Grade dos Santos, defender of Leonor Cipriano, convicted for the death of her daughter Joana (whose body has not yet appeared) in the village of Figueira, near Portimão, was arrested on Thursday around 17.00 hours, the National Guard Republican in Prision of Odemira, when he went to visit his client a recluse, with two bags containing 45 individual doses of amphetamines and a quarter tablet of ectsay.

By decision of the Court of that city, the barrister of 50 years and with offices in Lagos, is pending trial by measuring the minimum constraint of providing Terms of Identity and Residence.  Has learned the DN, João Grade dos Santos will incur a penalty of up to 15 years in prison if his involvement is proven in drug trafficking, which may be aggravated by the fact that he is a lawyer.  It's like a law enforcement officer.  The representative of the Bar in Portimão, Carla Cunha, already out in defense of his colleague, and that his "character is unquestionable."  "There is a flaw and responsibilities have to be cleared," he stresses.

Grade says he is "astounded"

"I am astonished," said the lawyer, assuring "I ignored the contents of the bags."  Grade dos Santos says he was delivering bags to prison at the request of a foreign client, after her apartment in Albufeira, had been subjected to searches by the PJ.  "Never crossed my mind" that might contain drugs.  Confessing himself "shocked and offended by the violation of the secrecy of justice," said wait now "that the case be clarified with the utmost urgency" to defend his good name and his honor.

When the DN found, found amphetamines may be worth close to EUR 500 in a prison.  This is because the price of the order of five to ten euros unit outside, gets to be paid ten times to a string, given the difficulty and danger in getting it.

Article

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:41:10 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »
So... he appears to have carried in a bag for someone whose apartment had apparently already been checked by the PJ. Hmm. So how did the drugs get into the bag or did the PJ simply miss them? If he was set up, who by?

Offline Carana

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
Why on earth does Google keep translating Odemira as Beja?

Offline Anna

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
Why on earth does Google keep translating Odemira as Beja?

I believe Beja is the district in which is odemira
Joao Grade Set up ? It could be someone wishing him out of the way, or an enemy, or It could just be an misunderstanding as he says. Search at his room wasn't very thorough if the latter is the case.
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »
I never noticed that before but you are correct, Beja is the Municipal District in which Odemira lies.  Strange that Google would give another geographical name as a translation.  I bet the Portuguese members are having a laugh at us for a change.   ?{)(**

The implied set-up was supposed related to his defence of Leonor Cipriano. Apparently Leonor was not too happy with his representation and ultimately his failure to complete the application for compensation in relation to the torture she endured.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:03:24 AM by John »

Offline Anna

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »
I never noticed that before but you are correct, Beja is the Municipal District in which Odemira lies.  Strange that Google would give another geographical name as a translation.  I bet the Portuguese members are having a laugh at us for a change.   ?{)(**

The implied set-up was supposed related to his defence of Leonor Cipriano. Apparently Leonor was not too happy with his representation and ultimately his failure to complete the application for compensation in relation to the torture she endured.

Sorry John, but I don't understand what you mean. Implied set up:-How could anyone on Leonor's side of the fence, plant drugs on her lawyer? Who did have access to these bags before he collected them ? Certainly not anyone on Leonor's side. 
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
Sorry John, but I don't understand what you mean. Implied set up:-How could anyone on Leonor's side of the fence, plant drugs on her lawyer? Who did have access to these bags before he collected them ? Certainly not anyone on Leonor's side.

It could have been an attempt at coercion.

From Público
15 February 2009

Leonor Cipriano was defended during the entire PJ torture investigation by the lawyer João Grade dos Santos but, "on the eve of the start of trial, the client waived the services of the lawyer,"

Acting on behalf of the McCanns, Método 3, tried to recruit Leonor Cipriano's lawyer, João Grade dos Santos, explaining that his help would be very helpful to their investigations, given the similarities between the two cases.  Método 3 stated that "spending money was no problem" and pulled the fore the theme "Gonçalo Amaral".  Only months later, having already refused to work for the Spanish agency, Grade realized that Método 3 had their own "agenda".  This "agenda" was, according to SIC, to get a lawyer to put Gonçalo Amaral "out of operation", since, in both cases, the detective seemed to want the same: the culpability of the parents.

Faced with the refusal of João Grade dos Santos, Método 3 approached another lawyer - the young Marcos Aragão Correia, who came to participate in searches of Madeleine as a medium and subsequently became involved in investigations related to the Joana case, eventually being engaged to defend Leonor Cipriano in the trial against the five inspectors from Faro.

Read it for yourself here.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:02:10 PM by John »

Offline Anna

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »
It could have been an attempt at coercion.

From Público
15 February 2009

Leonor Cipriano was defended during the entire PJ torture investigation by the lawyer João Grade dos Santos but, "on the eve of the start of trial, the client waived the services of the lawyer,"

Acting on behalf of the McCanns, Método 3, tried to recruit Leonor Cipriano's lawyer, João Grade dos Santos, explaining that his help would be very helpful to their investigations, given the similarities between the two cases.  Método 3 stated that "spending money was no problem" and pulled the fore the theme "Gonçalo Amaral".  Only months later, having already refused to work for the Spanish agency, Grade realized that Método 3 had their own "agenda".  This "agenda" was, according to SIC, to get a lawyer to put Gonçalo Amaral "out of operation", since, in both cases, the detective seemed to want the same: the culpability of the parents.

Faced with the refusal of João Grade dos Santos, Método 3 approached another lawyer - the young Marcos Aragão Correia, who came to participate in searches of Madeleine as a medium and subsequently became involved in investigations related to the Joana case, eventually being engaged to defend Leonor Cipriano in the trial against the five inspectors from Faro.

Read it for yourself here.

Thank you, John
                 Interesting, but how could any of these people plant drugs on Joao Grade, since they did not have access to the bags?
― Plato