Author Topic: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?  (Read 49400 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?
« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
I think 'media' is plural so should be treated as such ... but "The media was wrong" sounds good to me too ... so anybody's guess.

Or is it a singular noun for which no plural exists?
As in "news" or "measles"
Or just between you and I, "manners"
 8(0(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2018, 12:02:42 AM »
Or is it a singular noun for which no plural exists?
As in "news" or "measles"
Or just between you and I, "manners"
 8(0(*

oh  dear alice......medium singular ...  media plural...is it second declension neuter...like bellum
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:07:23 AM by Davel »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #497 on: August 05, 2018, 12:09:25 AM »
oh  dear alice......medium singular ...  media plural...is it fourth declension neutral...like bellum

I do rather like the idea of "mainstream medium". Now all put a finger on this upturned glass and watch out for ectoplasm..... *%87
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #498 on: August 05, 2018, 12:11:38 AM »
I do rather like the idea of "mainstream medium". Now all put a finger on this upturned glass and watch out for ectoplasm..... *%87

I think ive caught you out with my superior knowledge of latin...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:13:45 AM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #499 on: August 05, 2018, 12:13:26 AM »
The game that is the subject of this thread.
Libel and out of court settlements.
Fair enough that is a game alright.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #500 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
I think ive caught you out with my superior knowledge of latin...
Well brains which is it were or was?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #501 on: August 05, 2018, 12:18:09 AM »
Well brains which is it were or was?
its quite simple...was is singular...were is plural....media is second declension pleural
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:24:05 AM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #502 on: August 05, 2018, 12:23:24 AM »
its quite simple...was is singular...were is plural....
As Angelo said "Which would you say is correct?

The media were wrong to settle out of court

or

The media was wrong to settle out of court"

What is you plain and simple answer Davel?
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #503 on: August 05, 2018, 12:28:08 AM »
As Angelo said "Which would you say is correct?

The media were wrong to settle out of court

or

The media was wrong to settle out of court"

What is you plain and simple answer Davel?

ive given a plain and simple factual explanation....if posters dont understand.......as i understand medium is second declension neuter..like bellum...alice may be the only person apart from me who understands this
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:33:55 AM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #504 on: August 05, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
ive given a plain and simple factual explanation....if posters dont understand.......as i understand medium is second declension neuter..like bellum...alice may be the only person apart from me who understands this
If a person comes to you and asks should I get this tooth pulled what do you say?  You are the hardest person I know to get a plain and simple answer out of.  You can answer in Latin if you must, I'll put it into Google Translate.

Moderation

Offline misty

« Reply #505 on: August 05, 2018, 01:11:17 AM »
If a person comes to you and asks should I get this tooth pulled what do you say?  You are the hardest person I know to get a plain and simple answer out of.  You can answer in Latin if you must, I'll put it into Google Translate.

To simplify - a singular noun in Latin ending in -um changes to -a when plural. Think forum & fora.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #506 on: August 05, 2018, 03:08:52 AM »
To simplify - a singular noun in Latin ending in -um changes to -a when plural. Think forum & fora.
OK so it really is medium and media when it comes to sources of information.  "Did you hear the news?"  "What medium?"  "No it was in the media"
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #507 on: August 05, 2018, 03:27:05 AM »
So media is a plural noun  "The word media comes from the Latin plural of medium. The traditional view is that it should therefore be treated as a plural noun in all its senses in English and be used with a plural rather than a singular verb: the media have not followed the reports (rather than 'has')."  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/media

So I have to accept the title is correct "the media were ..."  rather than the "the media was ....".
Moderation

Offline Sunny

« Reply #508 on: August 21, 2018, 06:59:34 AM »
I have just seen Gerry McCann give a reason to Lord Leveson's enquiry as to why the Express settled out of court early in 2008 (whilst they were suspects/arguidos) and it is rather interesting IMO

After a short delay to allow the newspapers to take leading counsel’s advice Express
Newspapers, in their first formal response to Carter-Ruck, admitted they were guilty
of wrongly publishing a number of articles which suggested we were the prime
suspects in the disappearance of Madeleine and that there was sufficient evidence to
charge us.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140122164630/http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Witness-Statement-of-Gerald-Patrick-McCann.pdf

Were the McCanns prime suspects at that time? With what I have read, I was under the impression that they were.   Although obviously there wasn't enough evidence to charge them so perhaps that is the pertinent phrase from Gerry's statement.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #509 on: August 21, 2018, 07:16:14 AM »
I have just seen Gerry McCann give a reason to Lord Leveson's enquiry as to why the Express settled out of court early in 2008 (whilst they were suspects/arguidos) and it is rather interesting IMO

After a short delay to allow the newspapers to take leading counsel’s advice Express
Newspapers, in their first formal response to Carter-Ruck, admitted they were guilty
of wrongly publishing a number of articles which suggested we were the prime
suspects in the disappearance of Madeleine and that there was sufficient evidence to
charge us.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140122164630/http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Witness-Statement-of-Gerald-Patrick-McCann.pdf

Were the McCanns prime suspects at that time? With what I have read, I was under the impression that they were.   Although obviously there wasn't enough evidence to charge them so perhaps that is the pertinent phrase from Gerry's statement.

The devil is usually in the detail. Paper states a number of facts about something, one is incorrect, someone sues based on the incorrect fact and succeeds. It is assumed by the man on the street that all the facts are incorrect.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.