Author Topic: Shrien Dewani trial commences in Capetown.  (Read 54023 times)

Offline Anna

Re: Shrien Dewani trial commences in Capetown.
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
Part 2

11:51 am
Court due back on at midday UK time
Court is expected to resume after the lunchtime break at noon, UK time.
This morning the trial heard further evidence from Zola Tongo, the taxi driver who took the Dewanis on their ill fated trip to a South African township.
Defence Lawyer Van Zyl repeatedly pushed Tongo on a number of apparent contradictions between his testimony and previous statements he had made.
The court saw two clips of the final movements of the Dewanis before their taxi trip with Tongo.
Just before the adjournment, Van Zyl was pushing Tongo on whether he thought the couple seemed rich.
11:54 am
CCTV stills
Early today the court saw CCTV footage of the couple and Tongo in and around the hotel before driving to a township.
Below is a still from one of the video clips, which allegedly show the moment Shrien Dewani hands over a bag of money to the taxi driver for arranging the murder of his bride Anni Dewani. Tongo admitted his role in the killing as part of a plea bargain.
Enterprise News and Pictures Grab from CCTV shown on TV allegedly showing the moment Shrien Dewani hands over a bag of money to taxi driver Zola Tonga for arranging the murder of his bride Anni Dewani in South Africa
11:58 am
CCTV stills
Here we have another still from one of the CCTV clips shown to court today.
The prosecution alleges Dewani conspired with others to stage the hijacking in return for 15,000 rand.
Tongo said he and Dewani arranged to meet at a gate at the Waterfront on November 16.
Dewani apparently did not arrive and they agreed over the phone to meet inside the hotel because reporters were outside.
Enterprise News and Pictures CCTV shown on TV allegedly showing the moment Shrien Dewani hands over a bag of money to taxi driver Zola Tonga for arranging the murder of his bride Anni Dewani in South Africa
12:16 pm
Court resumes after lunch
Van Zyl: "When you arrived at the Cape Grace hotel that Friday afternoon, you'd been in the company of the accused and his wife for about 40 mins at most, that correct?"
Tongo: "Correct."
Van Zyl: "You told them that you are a chauffeur of VIPs."
12:19 pm
Help with killing
Van Zyl: "I assume you were neatly dressed and your car was clean and in good condition."
Van Zyl: "According to you, shortly after arriving at the Cape Grace hotel, this man, who doesn't know you, asked for help to have someone killed."
12:24 pm
No criminal past
Van Zyl: "I suppose this is the first time in your life that someone has made such a request? (to kill)"
Van Zyl: "You, yourself have no criminal record and not involved in criminality at all, apart from traffic offences."
Tongo: "I don't have any serious case against me but I was arrested at some stage."
Van Zyl: "Yes, but you're not involved in criminality.
Van Zyl: "Did you know where to find somebody who is prepared to kill somebody else."
The lawyer then repeats the question with raised voice.
Tongo: "No."
12:27 pm
Dewani 'made promises'
Tongo says he couldn't raise concerns about the killing request, because Dewani had 'made promises'.
Tongo: "He said, on going back, he will attract more clients and refer them to me."
Van Zyl: "Did you ask how many clients, cost, evaluate the offer?"
Tongo: "I never asked that."
Van Zyl: "In any event, this new business was very important to you. Is that right?"
Van Zyl: "And that is why you were willing to assist the accused with this request."
Van Zyl: "I assume that is not something you'll easily forget. It's the reason you got involved?"
Van Zyl: "Did you tell the police of these promises that were made?"
Tongo: "That is correct."
Van Zyl: "Did you put it in your statement."
Tongo: "It was not put in."
12:29 pm
'Hunger was over - I had a job'
Van Zyl: "Anyway, Mrs. Dewani left the vehicle with the luggage and Mr. Dewani stays behind to pay. Can you tell the court.. Mr Dewani paid you R300, incl R50 tip. What happened? Tell the court the full story."
Tongo: "The gentleman paid me an amount of R300. Because I did not have change, he said I can take the R50 change as a tip. Then the gentleman said he has a business proposal. I smiled. Hunger was over. I would have a job that weekend. He said he was going inside for 10 mins and I should wait. He then left."
Van Zyl: "Didn't you give him a business card?"
12:33 pm
Calls to driver
Van Zyl: "Two minutes 20 seconds into the five min period he was with you, one can see the front door being opened. Did you give him the business card?"
Tongo: "I gave it."
Van Zyl: "Did this business proposal happen before you gave the business card?"
Tongo: "I estimate it happened after."
Van Zyl: "After you have given the business card, did you receive any phone calls?"
Tongo: "I can't remember."
Van Zyl: "Two calls to be exact. From the same number."
12:35 pm
The job was to kill a person
Van Zyl: "By the time Mr. Dewani went to check in, all you were told is that he had a job."
Van Zyl: "You had no idea what kind of job, correct?"
Tongo: "I had an idea. I thought he was going to speak about tours."
Van Zyl: "It was only after he returned to your car that you learned that the job was to kill a person."
12:45 pm
Contradictory crucial evidence
Van Zyl reads Tongo's statement, in which he details the job before checking in.
Van Zyl: "According to your evidence-in-chief, the only thing that happened was that the accused said he has a job and you must wait. What's contained in your statement, is entirely different. Why is this?
"The difference, Mr Tongo, is that in your evidence-in-chief and cross exam, was that all the accused told you before he checked in, was that he had a job for you. In your statement, you go much further.
"That you said you don't associate with such things but you will call someone in the township. Do you understand this is a crucial part in your evidence. Why do we have this difference. Can you explain that?"
12:48 pm
Mistake under oath
Tongo: "He told me he has a business proposal for me. After that, he said I should wait at the parking lot. He went inside.
"When it came to what job this would be, we discussed that in the motor vehicle."
Van Zyl: "Your statement says Mr Dewani explained the job before he went to check in."
Tongo: "He never said that before he went into the hotel."
Van Zyl: "That's not what your affidavit says. Is this incorrect."
Tongo: "That is a mistake. He never said that before he went into the hotel."
12:50 pm
Witness told not to argue
The judge has just told the witness to answer the defence's questions and not argue with him.
Van Zyl: "When Mr Dewani came to the car, what happened then?"
Tongo: "He explained to me that his business proposal, that he going to refer a lot of people to me.
"While I was happy, the gentleman told me that his business partner will arrive tomorrow, he needs them to be out of sight. I was shocked. I said I don't associate with such things."
12:54 pm
'Female business partner needed to be taken out'
Van Zyl: "Did you know if the business partner was a male or a female?"
Tongo: "The gentleman told me it was a female."
Van Zyl: "Payment for this. Wasn't that discussed?"
Tongo: "We did discuss that."
Van Zyl: "Well, tell us about that."
12:59 pm
Dewani 'arranged hit in car'
Van Zyl: "Did he also say that in the car?"
Tongo: "Yes. He said to me that he wants to pay those people in dollars. I said I am going to contact Monde.
Van Zyl: "How were you going to contact each other?"
Tongo: "The gentleman had my number. The gentleman tried to give me his number but it was not an easy number like ours. I got his number at some stage."
1:03 pm
Dewani 'wanted business partner killed'
Dewani has passed a note to Van Zyl.
Van Zyl: "Did you tell the police that Mr. Dewani told you the person was a business partner, arriving the next day and that she was a female?
Tongo: "I told the police he wanted a business partner killed. Not sure if I said female."
1:15 pm
Poking holes
Van Zyl: "Let's move to your plea agreement. The court has heard from Mr. Qwabe. He says you told him and Mngeni that a husband wanted his wife killed.
"Who did you think was going to use your services with Mr. Dewani that night?"
Tongo: "His business partner."
Van Zyl: "A woman?"
Van Zyl: "Definitely not his wife?"
1:17 pm
Airport pickup
Van Zyl: So when you called Tavuks, when your knees were trembling. What did you tell him?"
Tongo: "I asked him to do a transfer from the Cape Grace hotel, if he remembers the pick-up I did at the airport. He said he wouldn't be able to."
Van Zyl: "Did you tell him it would be two people?"
Tongo: "Yes."
Van Zyl: "Did you say a gentleman and his business partner?"
Tongo: "I can't remember saying business partner but I said two people."
1:23 pm
Tongo 'doesn't remember' previous statements
Van Zyl: "You said in evidence-in-chief that you wanted him to fetch the gentleman and his wife."
Tongo: "I don't remember saying the gentleman and his wife."
Van Zyl: "You said this under oath."
Tongo: "I don't remember saying that to Tavuks."
Judge Traverso: "The question is why, yesterday, did you say you told Tavuks to pick up the gentleman and his wife."
Tongo: "I don't remember myself saying that."
Van Zyl: "You maintain you thought that was a different lady to the one you picked up at the airport?"
1:26 pm
Tongo denies details in his own signed statement
Van Zyl: "Then you have to explain your statement to police."
In the statement, Tongo speaks of Dewani and the same lady.
Van Zyl: "Who is this 'same lady'?"
Tongo: "I can see this is written and I signed it but I never said the same lady."
Traverso: "Did the police make this mistake?"
Van Zyl: "The person who took this statement is Lt. Col. Barkhuizen, a very experienced Investigating Officer... He would've known how important this is."
Tongo: "Must be a mistake."
Van Zyl: "Another mistake, ok."
1:27 pm
'I didn't know woman was his wife'
Van Zyl: "Why are you running away from the fact that it was Mr Dewani's wife in your car and the person who was to be killed."
Tongo: "I didn't know it was his wife."
Van Zyl: "Didn't you ask if the person was flying in. The man was just offering you business."
Tongo: "I didn't ask him."
1:39 pm
How much for hit?
Van Zyl is now questioning Tongo about whether Dewani offered to pay in dollars and how much.
Van Zyl: "I would imagine he'd say, I'm offering 1000 dollars."
Tongo: "He didn't say how much."
Van Zyl: "So your evidence that it was offered to you in the car at the Cape Grace, is another mistake?"
Tongo: "We might have discussed this on Friday or Saturday evening but we did discuss that.
"For me, the time and place - nobody can remember everything."
1:41 pm
Exchanging money
Van Zyl: "Did he tell you why he can't go to the bank (to exchange money)?"
Tongo: "He never said it but I thought maybe he doesn't want to use his passport."
Judge Traverso: "So that's something that happened in your head?"
Van Zyl: "Mr Dewani will agree that he wanted a lower exchange rate than the Bureau de Change or bank.
"He also agrees with what you say now that he didn't want to exchange where he needs his passport."
1:46 pm
Currency questions
Van Zyl: "Why didn't you tell the police that this part was just in your head?"
Tongo: "It's impossible for someone to remember everything. That's also a mistake."
Van Zyl: "Mr Dewani will tell the court that he withdrew £7,000 in cash. That was his 'holiday money'."
1:50 pm
Meeting Qwabe
Tongo: What I am aware of is I took Mr. Dewani the Saturday to exchange money. I didn't enter the room where they changed money. I don't know how much money he had."
Van Zyl: "Mr. Qwabe will say they weren't offered dollars."
Tongo: "I can't comment on what Mr. Qwabe said but Mr. Dewani said he wants to pay in dollars."
Van Zyl: "Mr Tongo. When did you find out Mr. Qwabe's nickname is Spra? Let's take the Saturday afternoon as a reference. Was it before or after that?
Tongo: "If my memory serves me well, I think I got the name after I met up with him."
1:52 pm
Court adjourned
"He (Qwabe) introduced himself to you as Spra," Van Zyl said.
Tongo: "I mentioned yesterday he told me his name, but I didn't keep it. I found out afterwards, as time went on."
Court has adjourned.
2:00 pm
Court to resume tomorrow
And that's it for today, the proceedings have been adjourned until tomorrow.
Zola Tongo spent most of the day being cross examined by Shrien Dewani's defence team.
Mr Van Zyl exposed a number of apparent contradictions between the convicted taxi driver's evidence and previous statements given under oath.
Tongo said a number of mistakes had been made in his previous statements, and at other times he did not recall making other comments when they were put to him.
The court also saw CCTV footage of Dewani and Tongo at the hotel before taking the taxi ride that would lead to Anni's death.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shrien-dewani-trial-recap-updates-4527344
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Anna

― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »

Shrien Dewani trial: murderer Zola Tongo admits he was a 'fool'

Shrien Dewani at murder trial

Taxi driver claims he was willing to organise Anni Dewani's murder for just a few days' worth of pay

LAST UPDATED AT 15:16 ON Mon 3 Nov 2014

The taxi driver who delivered Anni Dewani to two hitmen in Cape Town has admitted he was a "fool" for taking part in the murder plot for a relatively small amount of money.

Zola Tongo, who remains on the witness stand at the trial of British businessman Shrien Dewani, is one of three South African men who have already been convicted of Anni's murder. She was shot in a carjacking on her honeymoon in November 2010.

Tongo claims her husband Shrien masterminded the plan and that he had offered him, and the two hitmen, money to kill Anni.

Shrien denies the five charges against him, which include murder, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

Here's what we heard today:

10.00am: Tongo told the court that he would normally earn up to 40,000 rand (£2,260) in a busy month of driving people around in his taxi – yet he claims he was offered just R5,000 (£280) for fixing a murder and suffering damage to his car. Defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl asked him: "You were quite satisfied to take R5000 for your part in this conspiracy, without considering that there may be damage to your car or you may lose the car? Is that what you are saying?" To which Tongo replied: "That is what I initially said. I was a fool and I allowed myself to be misled." He says he did not consider until much later what would happen to his car, which was his only source of income.

12.30pm: Tongo has told the court that after picking up the Dewanis from their hotel he planned to take them straight to the Gugulethu township, where two hitmen were supposed to carry out a fake carjacking before killing Anni. However, there was no sign of them as he drove through so he carried on driving to a restaurant. He claimed Shrien texted him from the back seat asking what was going on. However, Van Zyl cut in to tell the court that there was no record whatsoever of a text being sent to Tongo at that time. "There was communication between me and the accused," said Tongo. "The fact that it doesn't appear on the record, I don't know."

Under cross-examination, Tongo admitted that more statements in his original affidavit are incorrect. For example, in his affidavit he claimed Shrien threatened to kill him if he did not kill Anni. Today he said this was untrue. Van Zyl pointed out that Tongo also told the court that he had decided which route he would take to Gugulethu, but in his affidavit he wrote that one of the hitmen told him which way to go. Tongo claimed that he is only just remembering some things. Judge Jeanette Traverso leant in to ask him: "So your statement is not 100 per cent correct?" He answered: "That is correct."

Shrien Dewani: who's who in the honeymoon murder trial

1 November

The alleged plot to murder newlywed Anni Dewani has been dissected and probed over the last four weeks in the trial of Shrien Dewani.

The British businessman has come face to face in court with two men convicted of murdering Anni in Cape Town on 13 November 2010.

They both testified that Shrien was the one who came up with the plan and offered them money to kill his bride – although he strenuously denies their claims.

The couple were being driven through Gugulethu, a township near Cape Town, in a taxi when two men hijacked the vehicle. Shrien was released unharmed, but Anni's body was found the next day on the back seat of the abandoned car. She had suffered a fatal gunshot wound to her neck.

These are the key people at the centre of the trial:

Anni Dewani

The bride killed on her honeymoon. Sweden-born Anni Dewani was an engineering graduate and part-time model. She met Dewani while staying in Britain with her cousin and they married in October 2010 in an extravagant Hindu wedding in Mumbai. Less than two weeks later, Anni was shot dead on her honeymoon.

Zola Tongo

The South African driving the taxi on the night of Anni's murder. Zola Tongo initially told police that his car was hijacked by two random men, but later admitted the hijacking was part of a plot to murder Anni. He claims that Shrien offered him money to have his wife killed and says that he contacted the two hitmen to organise the murder. The taxi driver was sentenced to 18 years in prison, a term that was reduced after he agreed to testify against Shrien.

Xolile Mngeni

The man who fired the gun. Xolile Mngeni, also known as Watti, was sentenced to 25 years in prison in November 2012, convicted of hijacking the Dewanis' taxi and firing the shot that killed Anni. Mngeni, who suffered from a rare form of brain cancer, was described in his trial as a "merciless and evil person" who deserved the maximum sentence by the trial judge. Mngeni, who was just 23 at the time of the murder, died in the hospital section of Cape Town prison on 18 October this year.

Mziwamadoda Qwabe

The murderer's accomplice. Mziwamadoda Qwabe, also known as Spra, was also sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in the murder. Qwabe testified in Shrien's trial that he and Mngeni had been offered 15,000 rand to kill Anni. He claimed Tongo told him that there was a man who wanted his wife killed.

Shrien Dewani

The accused. Shrien Dewani was running his family care home business in Bristol before he became embroiled in the high-profile murder case. Shrien has acknowledged that he is bisexual and he is alleged to have met with male prostitutes while he was in a relationship with Anni. The court has heard how the British millionaire hired a private jet to propose to Anni in Paris with a £25,000 diamond ring and held a week-long stag party in Las Vegas. He is charged with five counts relating to the murder of his wife: conspiracy to commit kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder, kidnapping and defeating the ends of justice.

Monde Mbolombo

Middleman in the murder plot. Monde Mbolombo, a hotel clerk, has admitted putting Tongo in touch with Mngeni and Qwabe before the murder, but he claims he had no further involvement. He received immunity from prosecution in return for his testimony, which also implicated Shrien in the killing.

Shrien Dewani: middleman said killing was 'Islamic' thing

30 October

Monde Mbolombo, the middleman in the plot to kill Anni Dewani, joked that "Islamic people like to kill their wives" as he assisted in arranging her murder, the trial of Shrien Dewani has heard.

Three South African men – Mziwamadoda Qwabe, Xolile Mngeni and Zola Tongo – have been convicted for the honeymoon shooting.

A fourth South African, Mbolombo, admitted to putting Tongo in touch with the two gunmen, Mngeni and Qwabe, but claimed he had no further involvement in the murder. He received immunity from prosecution for helping convict the other men.

Anni was shot during a carjacking as taxi driver Tongo drove the couple through the Gugulethu township on 13 November 2010.

Tongo, who is currently in the witness stand at the Western Cape High Court, claims Shrien Dewani was behind the plot. He says Shrien met him at the airport when the couple arrived in Cape Town and later offered him money to organise Anni's murder.

Shrien and Anni, both Hindus, would have celebrated their fourth wedding anniversary this week. Shrien has pleaded not guilty to the five charges against him, which include murder, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

Here's what happened today:

10.00am: Defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl has continued to point out the inconsistencies in Zola Tongo's various statements made under oath. Tongo initially told police that he did not know the names of the killers, but he later said he had simply forgotten them. Van Zyl pointed out that one of killers was even saved as a contact on his phone. "As time went on, I remembered their names. It was a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes," Tongo told the court.

Tongo also claimed that he thought Anni was Shrien's business partner, not his wife, when he allowed his car to be hijacked by the two hitmen. Yet one of the hitmen, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, claims Tongo specifically said that a man wanted his wife killed. Van Zyl reads from the statement of Monde Mbolombo, who put Tongo in touch with the two hitmen. Mbolombo also said Tongo told him that a man wanted his wife killed. "I never said that to Monde," Tongo told the court. "This is the same Monde who said Islamic people like to kill their wives. I can't comment on what Monde said." Monde had allegedly made a joke to Tongo about Shrien and Anni, saying: "Eh! I wonder whether those are the Islamic people."

1.00pm: Van Zyl asks Tongo what trouble he took to get Monde's services. "Firstly, the trouble that I made, I phoned Monde with my phone, I went to Monde with my petrol," he told the court. "I sacrificed my life for this to happen. There are many troubles I went through. To add to that, my communication with the hotel ends in that manner. Monde also. We are paying with our jobs."

The lawyer later suggested Tongo had completely made up a claim that Shrien rang him on the morning of the murder. Van Zyl said there was no billing evidence to suggest Shrien had phoned him that morning. "I'm putting it to you there was no call. It's a figment of your imagination. It's a made up story," he said.

The court hears that Shrien had a panic attack this morning after press photographers banged on his car window. Judge Jeanette Traverso has urged the media to treat him with dignity. "We all want to see justice done," she said.

Shrien Dewani breaks down over honeymoon CCTV

29 October

Murder suspect Shrien Dewani broke down in tears in the dock today as the court was shown CCTV footage of him and his wife Anni on their honeymoon.

The video footage showed them smiling and hugging each other at their hotel in Cape Town just hours before Anni was killed.

Shrien denies arranging her murder with taxi driver Zola Tongo, who is in the witness stand today.

Tongo and two other South African men – Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni – have already been convicted in relation to her death. Tongo has admitted to driving the couple into the Gugulethu township knowing that Qwabe and Mngeni would hijack his car and shoot Anni. But he claims he was acting on the orders of Shrien.

Here's what happened today:

2.00pm: Video footage, taken from the Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town, where the couple stayed on their honeymoon in November 2010, was shown to the court this morning. Shrien and Anni could be seen hugging affectionately in their last moments together at the hotel before they left for a night out. In court, Shrien initially smiled as he saw the footage and then the tears began to roll.

Another video clip showed the moment before Shrien allegedly handed over a bag of money to taxi driver Zola Tongo for arranging the murder, after Anni's death. Shrien claims he gave the money to Tongo because he "felt sorry for him" and did not at that point know he had anything to do with the shooting.

In cross-examination, Tongo admitted that he had made a number of mistakes in his original police statement. He confirmed that, as part of his plea agreement to testify against Shrien, he will be eligible for parole after nine years in prison.

Defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl repeatedly pointed out contradictions between Tongo's evidence and previous statements given under oath. The witness claims Shrien approached him with a job offer, promising to send more customers his way, but told him he needed a "business partner" killed. Tongo contradicted himself several times about the times and places where the conversations took place.

Shrien Dewani trial: dramatic carjacking described in court

28 October

A taxi driver today described the dramatic Cape Town carjacking in which Anni Dewani was killed in November 2010.

Zola Tongo is giving evidence in the trial of British businessman Shrien Dewani, who is accused of ordering his wife's murder on their honeymoon in South Africa.

Tongo, who has already been convicted for his part in arranging the murder, told the court that it was Shrien who wanted his wife killed in a fake carjacking.

Two other South African men – Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni – have also been convicted for Anni's murder. Shrien has pleaded not guilty to the five charges against him, which include murder, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

Here is what we have heard so far today:

11.00am: Taxi driver Zola Tongo returned to the witness stand, describing the moment when two hired killers, Qwabe and Mngeni, pretended to hijack his car. He had taken the couple to a restaurant in Somerset West, near Cape Town, earlier in the evening but warned the two hitmen off as it was too "wet" – meaning there were too many police around.

Tongo claimed his knees became "weak" as he later drove Anni and Shrien to the Gugulethu township, where he had agreed a meeting point with the hitmen. One of them jumped onto the car bonnet and the other pointed a gun at him, he said. Tongo claimed that both men carried a firearm, which contradicts Qwabe's claim that he was not carrying a gun. The taxi driver said he ended up in the back of the car on the left-hand side, Shrien was in the middle and Anni was on the right. All three were ordered to hand over their mobile phones and Shrien was trying to comfort Anni who was crying as the car drove off. At one point the witness appeared to get confused about Anni, suggesting that she was not the same woman he had met the previous day.

9.00am: German escort Leopold Leisser was back in the witness stand again this morning. Following a plea from the prosecution, Judge Jeanette Traverso allowed him to answer questions on aspects other than Shrien's sexuality. The prosecution pointed out that Shrien was with Anni when he was seeing Leisser, which is therefore "relevant in determining how committed the accused was to the deceased". Leisser, who claims he met with Shrien on three occasions, told the court that he first learned of Anni's death from CNN. He contacted the police to let them know about his relationship with Shrien, but also sold his story to the media for £18,000.

Shrien Dewani: judge angry as male escort Leopold Leisser takes the stand

27 October

Male escort Leopold Leisser has been told to leave the witness stand by the judge overseeing the trial of honeymoon murder suspect Shrien Dewani.

Leisser was called by the prosecution in a bid to show that Shrien had a motive to kill his wife Anni Dewani in November 2010. However, Judge Jeanette Traverso suggested that his testimony was irrelevant as Shrien had already admitted to paying for Leisser's services and the state had not yet proved Shrien had planned to murder his wife.

Anni was shot dead after the couple's taxi was hijacked during their honeymoon in Cape Town. Three South African men – Zola Tongo, Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Xolile Mngeni – have already been convicted in relation to her death. Shrien has pleaded not guilty to the five charges against him, which include murder, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

Here is what we have heard so far today:

1.00pm: Taxi driver Zola Tongo took the stand this afternoon, claiming that Shrien first approached him at the airport in Cape Town. After dropping the couple off at their hotel, Tongo said Shrien told him he had a "job" for him and asked him to wait in the hotel car park. Tongo claims Shrien later came down and told him he wanted someone killed. At the time, Shrien allegedly claimed it was a "business partner", a "woman" who would be arriving in Cape Town the following day. Tongo conferred with hotel receptionist Monde Mbolombo. He claimed Shrien later specified that he wanted it to look like the car had been hijacked. Tongo admitted that he went to meet Mziwamadoda Qwabe to organise the murder.

10.00am: German escort Leopold Leisser took the stand very briefly. The witness confirmed that he is 43 years old and has permanent residency in the UK. He runs his own business from Birmingham and has been working as a part-time professional gay escort since 2009. "My role was in fetish terms sadomasochistic role-play, a type of fetish of a sexual nature," he told the court.

However, the defence quickly objected after Leisser said he had agreed for Shrien to sleep over at his home, which he said was an "extremely unusual" arrangement. According to reports from the court, Judge Jeanette Traverso "angrily" agreed that she could not understand the relevance of that information. Shrien has already admitted to having sexual interactions with prostitutes, including Leisser.

The prosecution argued that Leisser would testify that Shrien was in two minds about whether to get married and this proves why he might have wanted to have his wife killed. However, the judge suggested that a motive would only be relevant once it has been proved that there was a plot between Shrien and the three murder convicts to kill his wife. She told Leisser to stand down, asking the prosecution to prepare a written statement instead and to call the next witness, who looks likely to be taxi driver Zola Tongo.

9.00am: Warrant officer Pieter Engelbrecht, a ballistics expert, has finished being cross-examined. Last week, the defence criticised the police for their "negligent" reconstruction of the shooting. Engelbrecht admitted that he only measured the arm of Xolile Mngeni, the man convicted of shooting Anni, two weeks ago and did not want to push him to extend his arm fully as he was in a wheelchair and very ill with a brain tumour. Mngeni has since died. Engelbrecht said he only took the gun measurements a few days ago, and not even those of the gun used in the shooting. The defence said it was clear Engelbrecht is not an expert witness and "a child could see the difference".

More about Shrien Dewani:

Graphic emails barred by court in blow for stateShrien Dewani reveals he is bisexual on first day of murder trialShrien Dewani described himself as 'perverted' on GaydarShrien Dewani reveals he is bisexual on first day of murder trial Shrien Dewani: what we know about the honeymoon murder caseMurder suspect loses bid to block extradition Shrien Dewani family welcome 'significant' Panorama findings

·

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/crime/shrien-dewani/3997/shrien-dewani-trial-dramatic-carjacking-described-in-court#ixzz3I1QtdMZ2
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
   Nov 04, 2014 14:32 
By Alex Wellman

The trial of British millionaire Shrien Dewani continues in Cape Town today.

8:16 am

The trial resumes with killer taxi driver on the stand

The taxi driver who was convicted of the murder of tragic Anni Dewani is back on the stand for his sixth day of evidence.

Yesterday, the defence attempted to discredit much of his evidence arguing that it was different to his previous signed statements. Tongo, who is serving 18 years in jail for his crime, is speaking to the court through an interpreter.

Shrien was seen shaking his head at certain points during Tongo's evidence yesterday, while the driver also revealed new claims when he said he used child locks on the passenger doors to ensure Anni could not get out.

Defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl was pushing Tongo on reasons why he would accept a relatively small amount of cash, (around £280) for taking part in the plot when he could earn up to £2,260-a-month legally working as a taxi driver.

Experts expect that today will be Tongo's last day of giving evidence.

8:32 am

Tongo 'discussed' plea bargain with lawyer

Shrien's defence lawyer begins the day with asking Tongo about his signed affidavit. This is something that has been questioned a lot in the past with Van Zyl apparently trying to discredit the witness by showing differences in his evidence.

Tongo starts by saying his lawyer William De Grass did not tell him to hand himself over to police, but the lawyer responds by reading out a section of the killer's affidavit where Tongo says his lawyer did tell him to go to police.

Van Zyl then asks Tongo if he told police he was approached by Shrien and the whole murder was a conspiracy with others, Tongo claims he "tried to explain".

When questioned over whether or not he was told that a plea bargain would result in a lesser sentence, Tongo tells the court he "discussed" options with his lawyer.

Tongo adds: "I said I'll hand myself over, testify about my involvement."

8:50 am

Defence goes on the attack

Getty Dewani trial

Questions: Shrien Dewani's Defense Lawyer Francois Van Zyl

Van Zyl has been questioning Tongo about his affidavit all morning, pointing out differences with his spoken evidence in court.

As Shrien looks on, the defence lawyer says to Tongo that the court has been discussing his written statement for days and asks the convicted killer: "Can you explain why your evidence deviates so seriously from what you said in it?"

Tongo: "I remember some things after it was written up."

9:09 am

Dewani 'shakes head' as Tongo gives evidence

Zola Tongo (pic: Pixel)
Trial: Murderer Zola Tongo was fetched from prison to give evidence in court

Van Zyl asks Tongo who told him that the killers were unable to come up to where they were in Somerset West because it was "too wet" - meaning had too many police officers.

Tongo: "It was Mziwamadoda Qwabe."

The defence lawyer then reads a section of the killer's affidavit where he talks about the newlyweds walking on the beach, Shrien threatening him and Monde Mbolombo telling the driver he could not come to the area because it was "wet" - meaning full of policeman.

Tongo replies: "There is a mistake. It was Mziwamadoda Qwabe"

Roy McKenzie, a South African journalist covering the case says Shrien is quite animated as the driver gives his evidence. He writes: "Dewani shakes his head, refers to think blue file of papers, as Tongo cross examination drags on."

9:25 am

Tong: 'Dewani WAS part of the conspiracy'

Accused: Shiren Dewani is alleged to have wanted his wife killed

Tongo tells the court that Monde Mbolombo's role was to assist him, make sure everything happens. He says: "That's why I contacted him."

Judge Jeanette Traverso then asks Tongo: "You and others met, agreed there would be a hijacking, did you know there would be two firearms?"

Tongo:"I had an idea."

The court then hears audio from CCTV footage that has middle man Monde Mbolombo saying how the two hitmen were looking for surgical gloves, the kind doctors use.

The audio references "five" people in the conspiracy. Van Zyl: "There was money at play, people had to share in the money, looks like one conspirator reminding others there are five to share."

Tongo: "He was counting five of us, including Dewani - he part of the conspiracy."

Van Zyl: "Why count Mr Dewani?"

Tongo: "Because he was part of the conspiracy to kill the business partner."

9:33 am

Tongo: 'Fifth murder plot member was Dewani'

Shrien's defence is now putting it to Tongo that the conspiracy was put in place and executed without the knowledge of the accused man.

Van Zyl: "Was there not a fifth person in your conspiracy?"

Tongo: "In our conspiracy we were five - Shiren Dewani, Monde Mbolombo, Xolile Mngeni, Mziwamadoda Qwabe and Zola Tengo"

Van Zyl pushes on the subject of there being a different fifth person involved in the murder plot.

He says to Tongo: "This shows that there was a fifth person. If it was Mr Dewani, it makes no sense."

Tongo: It makes sense to me."

The court has now stopped for a short break.

9:56 am

Tongo: 'Some memories are coming back to me now'

Enterprise news and pictures Anni Dewani

Shooting: Shrien Dewani is on trial accused of murdering wife Anni Dewani (pictured)

Proceedings have started after a brief tea break. Focus is still on Tongo and the differences between his written and spoken testimony.

Francois Van Zyl asks the taxi driver about a call he received from Monde Mbolombo concerning the fact that Tongo wanted his car left near a car wash after the crime.

The defence lawyer asks the driver if he wanted the car dumped near a car wash to get rid of fingerprints, but Tongo says he doesn't know anything about that.

Van Zyl pushes the subject, asking if it was correct that once Anni was killed, the hit men were to leave the car near the car wash.

Tongo: "That's right."

Van Zyl: "Now you say you wanted your car left near car wash, can you please explain what appears to be a contradiction?

"You said you didn't know where they were going to leave the car?

Tongo: "I knew because some of the things are reappearing now."

10:39 am

Van Zyl: 'Mbolombo was more involved'

PA CCTV still of Monde Mbolombo on the phone to Zola Tongo, as the the BBC programme investigates the death of 28-year-old Anni Dewani

Footage: CCTV still of Monde Mbolombo allegedly on the phone to Zola Tongo on the BBC's Panorama programme

Van Zyl is now implying that Monde Mbolombo was much more involved in the planning of the killing than Tongo has previsouly said.

An audio clip of a phone conversation between Mbolombo and Qwabe where the middleman tells the hitman: "You know that thing we were talking about. It must happen today. I'm going to keep on calling him my brother."

The lawyer asks Tongo what the two men are talking about, but the driver claims not to know as he was not there. Van Zyl then puts it to him that Mbolombo had a far bigger role in the conspiracy.

Tongo: "As I said, Monde was my assistant, I don't know what you are saying that he played a big or small role."

10:50 am

Killers wanted £850 to murder Anni

Millionaire Shrien Dewani
Marriage: Shrien with his wife Anni, 28. She was murdered as the couple honeymooned in South Africa

Shrien's defence lawyer is telling the court how convicted murderer Qwabe previously admitted agreeing on being paid just £850 to kill Anni.

Van Zyl: "Qwabe told the court they were supposed to be paid 15000,but got 10000,they contacted Monde about money that was short."

Tongo: "As to how much the men got I won't be able to answer."

At this point, Judge Traverso interjects and asks Tongo who took the money left in the car.

Tongo says he does not know because he was not there.

He adds: "I can't remember coming to an agreement about who would take the money from a certain place."

10:59 am

Tongo: 'Dewani called me to make sure killing would happen'

Barcroft Dewani trial

Accused: Shrien Dewani waits in the dock at the Western Cape High Court

The focus has shifted to what happened while Shrien and Anni dined in a sushi restaurant just a short time before the carjacking.

Van Zyl says to the taxi driver that he has previously accused Dewani of calling him while he waited outside. He said: "What did you discuss?"

Tongo: "The accused wanted to make sure that this really would take place."

Shrien's lawyer says that his client "will tell the court" that what actually happened was that he went to the restaurant toilet, had a missed call and then went outside to reply as it was too loud inside.

Van Zyl: "Mr Dewani will deny he asked you anything about a hijacking or if it would happen."

Tongo: "If Mr Dewani denies that, it's between him and his God. I'm telling what he requested."

The court has now adjourned for lunch and proceedings will begin around 12pm UK time.

12:25 pm

Recap on the morning's events

To recap on the events in court so far today, taxi driver Zola Tongo has been on the stand giving evidence for the sixth day.

The convicted killer has told the court that he had "discussions" with his lawyer about a plea bargain before he went to the police, but Tongo added that he wanted to "hand himself over".

Shrien's defence lawyer Francois Van Zyl has been on the attack this morning, trying to punch holes in Tongo's evidence. On numerous occasions he has highlighted differences between the driver's signed affidavit and his evidence in court.

When grilled by the lawyer over which one of the killers had told him there were too many police officers in the area of Somerset West, Tongo admitted his written statement was incorrect when it said it was Monde Mbolombo.

Shekhar Bhatia Shrien and Anni Dewani

Tragic: Shrien and Anni Dewani. The couple were on honeymoon in South Africa when Anni was shot

He said: "There is a mistake. It was Mziwamadoda Qwabe".

As the afternoon approached, Mr Van Zyl began asking Tongo about who was part of the conspiracy. CCTV footage played to the court showed Mbolombo referring to "five" people being part of the plot.

Tongo argued that the fifth person was Dewani, but Mr Van Zyl claimed this made "no sense" at all. Tongo fired back: "It makes sense to me."

The defence lawyer continued to push Tongo, who put much of the difference in his evidence down to memories only just coming back to him.

Shortly before the court adjourned for lunch, Tongo told how Dewani called him on his mobile from the restaurant where he was eating with his new wife, "making sure" the killing would take place.

12:37 pm

Tongo: 'I knew cash was in car as we drove to hijacking"

Proceedings have resumed and Zola Tongo is still on the witness stand giving evidence. The defence team has moved on to the subject of the money and where it was to be left in the car.

Van Zyl: "When you left Strand with Shrien Dewani and Anni, you knew the money was in the pouch behind the passenger seat...

Van Zyl: "And you informed the young men?"

Van Zyl: "Telephonically?

Tongo: "I can't remember if I sent them an SMS or called, but I know I told them."

12:54 pm

Tongo: 'The convicted killer is wrong - there were two guns'

The questioning is now moving towards the moment the newlyweds were carjacked.

Van Zyl asks Tongo tells the court that Tongo has said that both Qwabe and Mngeni had firearms on them when they stopped the car.

The lawyer then tells the driver that one of the killers, Qwabe, claims there was only one pistol used - which Mngeni had - and asks: "Would it surprise you?"

Tongo tells the court that Qwabe must be incorrect, before he tells the court how the carjacking unfolded. According to the convicted killer, he was at the back on left with Shrien in the middle, then Anni on the right. Qwabe was driving and Mgeni was in the front passenger seat.

Van Zyl then reads from the driver's written statement about the incident, where Tongo said Mgeni was sat in the back - highlighting the differences in his evidence.

Tongo replies: "I can see that's written but what I'm telling you now, is what happened and that's why I said some of the things are resurfacing. I admit that I signed this statement, but what I am saying here is what happened."

1:01 pm

Tongo: 'Killers let me out of the car'

Getty Xolile Mngeni

Killer: Xolile Mngeni let Tongo out of the car

The judge has again interjected, telling the witness "something" was bothering her about the child locks.

She asks the taxi driver if putting them on was part of the agreement with Dewani and the other men, which Tongo says it was not.

Defence lawyer Van Zyl then asks Tongo how he got out of the vehicle, and he replies that Mngeni opened his own door, reached back and then opened the rear door to let the driver out.

Van Zyl: "We'll have to test that."

Tongo: "I'll be very happy."

1:14 pm

Tongo: 'Dewani asked me if they found the body'

Grab from CCTV allegedly showing the moment Shrien Dewani hands over a bag of money to taxi driver Zola Tonga
Grab from CCTV allegedly showing the moment Shrien Dewani hands over a bag of money to taxi driver Zola Tonga

The case has now moved on to the point where Dewani and Tongo were seen on CCTV camera at the Cape Grace hotel the morning after the hijacking.

After a few questions from van Zyl, Tongo said that during the conversation pictured, Shrien Dewani asked him if he was alright and if they found the body. The accused man then left but returned shortly after.

Tongo: "I said to him I don't have any knowledge but hope that they did the job."

The morning after

Tongo's claims that he and Dewani discussed the carjacking and murder, and that Dewani asked him if they found the body do not appear in the taxi driver's signed statement - another discrepancy.

Shrien's defence lawyer jumps on this and asks: "Why was this discussion not mentioned in statement? Why didn't you tell police about it?

Tongo: "Some things resurfacing now. If I could rewrite a statement now, it would be slightly different to original statement, can remember things.

Van Zyl: "I put it to you, if you'd had such a discussion with accused that night, you would have mentioned it to police."

At this point the judge makes a comment to Tongo, stating that as far as the plan was he and Dewani were not to be harmed, so why was the accused enquiring about his wellbeing.

1:35 pm

Lawyer: 'Cash was for trip NOT killing'

Shrien's lawyer read out a part of Tongo's statement where he claims Dewani asked him on the phone if he was fine, wanted to pay the outstanding money before dropping the phone.

Turning to the convicted killer, the lawyer asks if that is correct, to which Tongo replies: "yes."

Van Zyl continues reading the statement where it says Dewani only paid the driver £57 (ZAR1,000), instead of an agreed £280 (ZAR5,000) and then asks: "What will a trip to Somerset West cost?

Tongo: "Between £84-96 (ZAR1,500-1,700)"

Van Zyl tells the court that Dewani claims Tongo said he would charge the couple £57 for an inclusive morning and evening trip.

Tongo: "I do not charge that amount of money at night."

1:51 pm

Tongo: 'Dewani still owes me hundreds'

Last journey: CCTV captures the couple just before the fatal journey

Tongo has told the court that after he realised he was shortchanged £226 by Dewani over the killing, he "took it as a loss".

The driver also told the court that he is still owed a further £85 by Dewani for the fatal trip where Anni was killed.

Judge Tarverso: "But you weren't taking them to show them the nightlife. You were taking them to a hijacking and for someone to be killed. You were going to charge?"

Tongo: "That is correct

2:00 pm

Lawyers claim Dewani gave out 'thank you' cards

Enterprise News and Pictures Shrien Dewani

Footage: CCTV from the hotel shows Tongo walking out with a white bag

Lawyers for Shrien are claiming in court that what the CCTV picked up when the two men met the morning after the killing, was the accused man giving Tongo £56 (ZAR1,000) and an African thank you card.

Dewani is claiming that he bought a pack of thank you cards for staff and others who had helped through a turbulent time, and there was footage avaialable of this.

Tongo: "It's nonsense and a lie, that the accused person gave me a thank you card."

Van Zyl: "Is the truth that you didn't want to tell the police that you received a thank you card with ZAR1000 because that would fly in the face of what you're saying?"

Tongo: "If the accused gave me a chocolate or any other gift, why wouldn't I say it now when things are resurfacing?"

2:32 pm

Court adjourns

The court has now adjourned for the day and will start again tomorrow.

T
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Shrien Dewani trial: Recap of updates from court as honeymoon murder case continues

Nov 05, 2014 14:40 
By Alex Wellman

The trial is currently hearing evidence from convicted killer and taxi driver Zola Tongo, who claims he was paid by Dewani to set the killing up.

Yesterday, Dewani's lawyers went on the attack against Tongo, picking holes in his evidence and asking why it was different to what he wrote in a signed affidavit.

Reporters in court told how the accused man would often shake his head as Tongo spoke, while the driver on brief occasions appeared to get annoyed with the line of questioning.

The 34-year-old - currently serving 18 years for his role in her death - is returning to give evidence for a seventh day.
9:09 am

Top lawyer claims Dewani could be cleared
A South African legal expert has said that Shrien Dewani could be cleared as the two 'star' state witnesses had been particularly "poor" and his legal team had a "more than reasonable" chance of having all charges against him dropped.

Leading defence attorney William Booth spoke yesterday about how the state's case against the British millionaire was "riddled with inconsistencies" and could collapse before Dewani has to take the stand.

Mr Booth said: "The two key witnesses - Tongo and Qwabe - have brought really the only testimony that counts in this trial and the quality of their evidence has been poor and riddled with inconsistencies.

"The overall quality of the prosecution case we have heard so far has not been high. There is nothing for the defence team to lose by bringing the application to have the case against their client discharged and I think they would have a strong reasons for doing so. If Dewani were my client, I would certainly go down that route."

9:52 am

Lawyer: "We have a photo of Dewani with thank you cards'

Zola Tongo,Shrien's defence lawyer Francois van Zyl begins the day by asking Tongo if the accused told him that he wanted to pay the outstanding money, to which Tongo replies: "It seems he did."

Referencing the time after the attack, van Zyl tells the court that Dewani went to a shopping mall on the Tuesday after the attack to do some shopping and buy thank you cards.

He tells the court: "Because there was lots of media, the hotel arranged for him to use one of their cars. He bought thank you cards, that were in a white plastic bag.

"We've been supplied with a photograph, of the accused at the Waterfront, carrying this bag in his left hand."

10:02 am

Tongo: 'Dewani gave me cash in hotel'
The lawyer then says that there was contact between the two men when Tongo gave Shrien a missed call and the Brit called him back.

van Zyl: "He (Dewani) will say that he wrote a thank you card, put ZAR1,000 (£56) in it and into an envelope and left his room to meet with you. He did ask you to come into the hotel. There were lots of media outside. What do you say about that?"

Tongo: "The fact that the accused left his room, is up to him. But what I know is that he can't get outside because there are lots of media. He also said that I must come in, I will see him.

"I got through the door. I saw him. He gave me a sign to follow him. I did. He had a bag in his hand."

The court is then played CCTV footage of Dewani and Tongo from inside the hotel showing the pair going into a room for about a minute before the accused comes out, followed shortly by Tongo who goes into a toilet and then leaves.

van Zyl: "What happened in that room?"

Tongo: "We got in there, we didn't get deep into it. We stood at a round table. The accused handed over a plastic bag. Then he walked out I looked in the plastic. There was an envelope.

"I went to the toilet to check the money. I saw it wasn't the full amount. I took the money, put it in my back pocket, kept the plastic and walked out. I was upset and angry."

10:11 am
Tongo: 'I was not given a thank you card'

With Tongo still on the stand, van Zyl continues to grill him over the moment he and Dewani met in the hotel after the killing.

The lawyer asks the witness why he did not throw away the plastic bag he was given by Dewani if, as he claims, it was empty after he put the cash in his pocket.

Tongo says he does not have a reason, but van Zyl, pointing to an image of the drive walking with the bag in his hand, says: "If you look at the way you're carrying the bag, it looks like something is in there.

"Like an envelope or a card."

The driver disagrees and claims that the bag was simply "hard" and if it is carried properly, using the handles, it could look like something was in there when it was not.

10:25 am
Tongo: 'Dewani claims are nonsene"

Tongo is then asked if he looked for Dewani after he realised he had been underpaid for the job.

The driver tells the court that he used "the corner" of his eye to look for him as he left, but could not see him.

The lawyer then tells the court that Dewani claims there were tow other people in the room when he gave Tongo the plastic bag.

van Zyl: "The accused will say, he gave you the bag, thanked you and told you there's something inside for you."

"He says you then said that you're sorry about what happened. He asked when you're getting your car back you said you had no idea. You shook hands and parted. What do you say?

Tongo: "That is nonsense."

10:28 am
Judge tells Tongo: 'Lawyer must be irritating you to d

Questions: Shrien Dewani's Defense Lawyer Francois Van Zyl

Judge Jeanette Traverso stops proceedings briefly to speak directly to Tongo, who appears to be getting riled by van Zyl's questioning.

Speaking directly to the witness, the judge says: "Mr Tongo, I notice that you are getting very angry. And I appreciate that you've been in the witness stand for a long time. But please try and be calm and answer the questions to the best of your ability.

"I know Mr Van Zyl must be irritating you to death but please try and stay calm."

10:36 am

Tongo: "I don't care if he sent thank you cards - I didn't get one'
Shrien's lawyer is pushing the taxi driver again on the issue of the thank you cards.

He tells Tongo that he was not the only one to receive a card. The defence claim a police officer was given one and a family who helped him while Dewani was out there also got one.

van Zyl: "This time, without money. Both were caught on CCTV. Do you accept that that happened?

Tongo: "Sir, whether her sent a card to the minister or president, it doesn't concern me. He never gave me a card."

10:49 am
Tongo: 'I was not there when Anni was killed'van Zyl moves on to the killing of Anni Dewani and asks Tongo if he was aware of how the tragic newlwed was murdered - pushing his argument that it was not a typical execution-style killing.

He says: "The court has heard evidence of how the deceased was shot. She was shot once, in the upper chest, bullet went through her left hand. It is the defence's case that that is not an execution shot.

"We also heard from Mr Qwabe that after the deceased was shot, he drove into a residential area. Were you aware of these facts?

Tongo: "I was not present at the time. As to what was going to happen, where how, whether she was to be shot, stabbed or strangled. I don't know. I was not there."10:52 am

Tongo: 'Deal was that Anni must die'

Following Tongo's claims that he did not know how Anni was going to be killed, only that she was going to be, Judge Traverso interjects and asks for clarification.

Judge Traverso: "But surely there was a discussion."

Tongo:" We decided that the person was going to be killed.

Judge Traverso: "How?"

Tongo: "We never came to a decision whether the person was to be killed with a firearm or stabbed. The fact that I heard that the person was going to look for his gun, maybe that person does not use it when he is killing her.

"What I am trying to say, is yes there was a firearm and they were going to look for another one. Maybe they decide, okay we won't use it no more."

Judge Traverso: "What was the deal?"

Tongo: "The deal was that his business partner had to be killed."

10:58 am
Tongo: 'Dewani claims are LIES'

Shrien's lawyer is again pushing Tongo in a line of questioning that those in court are saying is upsetting the witness.

He tells those in attendance that Dewani argues that he never conspired to kill his wife, that he does not know what went down, that Tongo and his friends saw the couple as "easy targets" and "maybe there was a more sinister motive".

Tongo: "Those are lies."

11:11 am
Lawyer: 'Dewani stitched up after plot went wrong over rape row'

The state is now saying that a fellow prisoner of Tongo's will give evidence that could take apart much of the driver's claims.

Bernand Mitchell allegedly contacted Dewani's legal team a while back after talking to Tongo in the prison showers.

The jailbird claims the driver told him he was happy he did not get life in prison and, after gaining Tongo's trust, was told all about "what really happened."

van Zyl: "He asked why kill such a pretty girl, why not just rape her. Why kill her?

"You said your accusers jeopardised the whole plan. The plan was to kidnap her and hold her hostage. One of them wanted to rape her.

"A quarrel ensued and a shot went off. You further told him that you thought of blackmailing Mr Dewani to kill his wife."

The lawyer then tells the court that Mitchell asked Tongo how he could send an innocent man to prison and Tongo is alleged to have told him he was advised to stitch up Dewani to get a lesser sentence, saying: "These people have a lot of money".

A clearly annoyed Tongo fires back: "This is nonsense and all lies. This is what you will call, in prison terms, prison stories."

The court has now adjourned for lunch.

12:27 pm
Lawyer claims Dewani wanted to surprise Anni with helicopter ride
Tensions were reportedly getting high just before the break for lunch, with Tongo appearing to get riled by the line of questioning from Shiren's defence lawyer Francois van Zyl.

The defence is now putting forward what it believes happened after Tongo picked up the newlyweds and took them to the Cape Grace hotel. Talking to Tongo, van Zyl says that the driver offered to help Dewani and his wife with any tours they may wish to go on - a point Tongo agrees with.

van Zyl: "He (Dewani) will also say, while he was paying you, he was interested in a private helicopter trip, as a surprise for his wife.

"He then asked you if you could organise a helicopter trip as a surprise. You had said to do a private tour. What do you say to that.

Tongo: "That's just nonsense and lies. There is no pilot that I know. There is a place that I know I would normally take my people to but we never discussed anything to do with a helicopter.

van Zyl: "The accused will say you gave him your business card and stored your number on his BlackBerry cellphone. He said he'll call you later, he wants to check in. You said you have some time and will wait."

Tongo: "Those are double lies. What I'm telling is the truth. What the accused said is that he has a business proposal or job for me."

The driver again claims he was never asked about a helicopter ride, only that Dewani had a proposal for him that would expand his business.

12:43 pm
Tongo again slams "lies"

The defence lawyer appears to be pushing the line that Shrien was not at all contemplating having his wife killed, and instead was working on ensuring the couple had a honeymoon to remember.

van Zyl: "He (Dewani) says you asked him if you could organise other trips for him like wine trips and he said he will discuss this with his wife and hear what she wants to do. Any comment?"

Tongo: "Those are lies.  I gave him my business card on the Friday, he saved my number, we contacted each other than evening and Saturday. Before we went to exchange the money."

1:07 pm
Lawyer: 'Killers are lying'

Dewani's legal team is now going through the accused man's version of events. They argue, to constant denials from Tongo, that Shrien and Anni were victims of a cajacking and that Tongo and the other killers have lied in order to have their sentences reduced.

The lawyer said that Dewani will testify, he took a large amount of South African cash, which he left in Anni's handbag, as a deposit for the helicopter trip.

van Zyl added: "He will tell the court about how they were hijacked,the most important difference is you were in the front passenger seat like you initially said in your statement."

Tongo: "My lady (to the judge), that man is lying."

van Zyl: "In summary the accused will say your evidence that he conspired with you to have his wife killed is simply not the truth."

Tongo: "Those are lies."

1:28 pm
Tongo finishes his evidence and prosecution calls new witness

And it looks like we spoke too soon. After a short break, Zola Tongo is back on the stand being reexamined briefly by prosecutor Shareen Riley.

The lawyer only asks the driver a few questions -  did he get his cellphone back, did he expect further payment from the accused.

And after answering the questions he is, finally, dismissed.

Judge Traverso: "Mr Tongo, you will be pleased to know that you are finished and free to go."

The prosecution has now called police officer Captain Vinesh Lutchman.

1:39 pm
Police officer takes the stand

The police officer, who currently works at Gugulethu Police Station, said the first he heard about a hijacking was on the evening it happened - 13 November, 2010.

He tells the court that it was that evening he met Zola Tongo in the crime officer where the driver arrived having claimed to have been carjacked.

The officer tells how Tongo's statement was taken by another officer before he arrived and Lutchman begins recounting that statement, Tongo's version of events.
Lutchman tells the court he informed his superior and then gave instructions to take Tongo to the hotel where the newlyweds were staying in order to begin the investigation there.

1:48 pm
Police reveal how Dewani said the carjacking took place
Lutchman is now telling how he and two other officers met with Shrien in the hotel boardroom - where one of the other officers conducted the interview.

According to the officer, Shrien said he was on his way from dinner with Anni and Tongo and he and his new wife were looking at photos in the back seats.
Anni had insisted she wanted to see the nightlife in the township, despite the British businessman telling her he did not feel very well. Dewani then told the driver what they wanted to do, soon after which he saw a green board pointing to Gugulethu.
Lutchman is now revealing how Shrien said the carjacking took place. According to the Englishman, one of the men got in at the front while the other was pointing the firearm to the back.

The carjacker pointing the gun took Shrien's mobile phone but he managed to hide Anni's ring in the seat of the car. According to the testimony Dewani gave in the hotel, the robbery continued after Tongo was let out of the car. Shortly after Dewani was also let out.

Lutchman tells the court how Shrien was in a shocked state. He adds: "We were there for an hour or two, for quite some time. Mr Dewani was in and out of the boardroom."

1:57 pm
Dewani turned down a counsellor claiming he could smell alcohol

The officer is telling how, as the statement was being taken from Dewani, he had ordered teams to head out and locate the missing car and Anni.

Lutchman tells the court that he also arranged for a counsellor to speak to Dewani, but the Brit turned this down complaining that the person "smelled of alcohol".

Lutchman: "He is a priest. He doesn't drink."

The officer then says how he asked the Englishman for photographs of Anni, but he did not have any and had to ask for some to be emailed to the hotel.

At around 6.50am a call came through that Anni's body had been found with the missing taxi and before the officer could tell Dewani, the accused man's brother called the police asking that they not tell him and instead let the family break the news.

2:03 pm
Dewani sat on bed and cried when he found out Anni was dead
Video clips are now being played in court showing the moment Shrien was told his wife was dead.

His family, who had by then arrived, are seen following him into a room at the hotel at around 9.20am - the time when Lutchman said the British businessman received a call telling him.

The footage then shows a large group of family huddled around Shrien, before he walks down the hallway to his room.

Lutchman: "He sat on his bed and was crying."

2:39 pm

Court adjourned: Recap on the day's events

The court has now adjourned for the day.

To recap on the events in court, taxi driver Zola Tongo gave evidence for a seventh day. The convicted killer appeared to get riled by the line of questioning from defence lawyer Francois van Zyl.

They began by claiming that CCTV footage of the two men meeting in the hotel after the killing of Anni, actually showed Dewani giving the driver some money and a thank you card as a way of showing him gratitude for helping him through a tough time.

The court heard the defence claim they had photos of Dewani at a shopping mall with a bag, which they argue was a pack of thank you cards he bought. They say he also gave one to a police officer and staff at the hotel.

Witness: Tongo was giving evidence for a seventh day

Tongo denied ever being given a card by Dewani and instead was given cash for sorting out the killing.

At one point Judge Jeanette Traverso halted proceedings while she asked Tongo to calm down, as it was apparent to her van Zyl was annoying him "to death".

When grilled over how Anni would be killed, Tongo said he never had a conversation about how the newlywed would die, only that she had to be killed.

Judge Traverso again interjected, asking for clarification but Tongo reiterated that although he knew the killers had at least one gun, he did not necessarily know that Anni would be killed with it.

CCTV: Footage from inside the hotel was the subject of much speculation

Shortly before lunch, the defence announced that they would soon bring their own witness to the stand who would contradict most of Tongo's claims.

Mr van Zyl told the court that a fellow prisoner of Tongo's contacted Dewani's legal team a while back after talking to the taxi driver in the showerss. Mitchell claims he was told by Tongo that the original plan was to kidnap and hold Anni hostage, but following a row over whether or not one of them could rape her, a shot went off that killed her.

The lawyer told the court that Mitchell asked Tongo how he could send an innocent man to prison and Tongo is alleged to have told him he was advised to stitch up Dewani to get a lesser sentence, saying: "These people have a lot of money".

Like much of the accusations put to Tongo today, the driver fired back: "Lies."

In the afternoon, the defence team began telling the court how Dewani claimed to have asked Tongo about setting up a helicopter tour for him and his wife along with a tour of a winery. They told the court Dewani had taken a large amnount of cash out to pay for this and put it in his wife's handbag.

The taxi driver was finally excused from court, before police captain Vinesh Lutchman was called to the witness stand and told how he was asked not to tell Dewani of his wife's death by the accused man's brother until the family arrived.

Just before the court adjourned for the day, he said that after he was told Dewani sat on his bed and cried.

― Plato

Offline Holly Goodhead

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Anna

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Thanks for all the up-dates Anna.

I'm beginning to wonder how the case got to court it seems so weak?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2820288/South-African-legal-expert-says-honeymoon-murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-home-days-prosecution-case-crumbles-key-witnesses-fail-convince.html

You are welcome Holly.
There is only one star witness now that his mate has died and the defence is tearing him to bits. Lots of contradictions of the original statements, but after all these years what would we expect? I still think it is too long for a case to wait for trial.
 I was beginning to think that there was no interest in this case and wondered if it was worth posting updates, so I am glad that you have been following........ *&(+(+.
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
I will be posting a day after the date of hearings, as it is easier to copy, so tomorrows post will be for 6th nov
-------------------------------------------------------

Wed Nov 05, 2014  Part 2

Court resumes after lunch break

Court has resumed after lunch, and Monde Mbolombo is back on the stand.

Mbolombo says he met Tongo in 2007, when the Protea Colosseum hotel opened.

Tongo worked at Platinum Escapes at the time. Mbolombo admits he knows Mziwamadoda Qwabe, known to him as Abongile.

They'd worked together for about three or four years.

Mbolombo met him on November 1 at Monwabisi beach. Before that, he had seen him in 2006.

12:13 pm
Mbolombo wanted gunpowder to heal daughter

Mbolombo: "She needed the powder. I was going to use it as medicine to cast out the bad spells."

Riley: "Why did you ask Mr Qwabe?"

Mbolombo: "When I met him at the beach, I saw the people who were with him at the beach. I though they were involved in wrong activities like crime.

"It was also as a result of the conversation we had at the time. He wanted to know if I was working, I said yes. I asked him if he's working. He said no. He asked me Monde how is your life?

"If there are people after you, let me know. i responded by saying there are no people after me."

12:18 pm

Meeting with Zola

Mbolombo: "I phoned him."

Riley: "Did you know Mr Mngeni?

Mbolombo: "No."

Riley: "On November 12, 2010, is it true that Zola came to the hotel? (Protea) When he came to you, tell the court what happened.

Mbolombo: "He first called my workplace.

"He enquired about my shift. I said I started at 3 and finish at 11pm. He said hew was on his way to my workplace.

"When he got there, I was busy at the desk. I went to the lift and said I'll attend to him when I get back/"

12:21 pm 

Tongo wanted a hit man

Mbolombo: "I came back and found him at the desk. He told me there is something I want to talk to you about.

"He said is there no-one that I know that is a hitman. As soon as he said that, we moved outside. He then said there's someone looking for a hitman.

"I said no, I'm not familiar with people who are criminals. I said there's someone I can enquire from. Please ask Abongile. We then moved to the back office. I took out my phone.

"In the one hand, I had the hotel's cordless phone. I called Abongile from the cordless phone and left my phone on the table."

12:24 pm

Someone to 'do a job'

Mbolombo: "Zola was standing next to me. I then moved out of the back office. I left Zola there. My phone was on the table.

"I said to him there's a guy here, Zola, who is looking for someone to do a job. He enquired what kind of job.

"I said he is looking for a hitman. Zola was at reception. There were people at reception who understood Xhosa, and because this conversation relates to a hitman, I didn't want them to hear.

"I called Abongile because I thought of the conversation at the beach and people he was with. I didn't expect that he would do the job himself."

12:29 pm

Offering the price for the hit

Mbolombo: "I knew him as someone who came from a decent background and attended the so-called Model C schools.

"He said Monde, if we do this job for this guy, how much is he going to pay us. I didn't know at that stage.

"I then opened the glass door and called Zola. I redialed. I said Abongile, here is this guy, next to me and ask Zola how much. He said 15000.

"At no stage did Zola speak to him, because after Abongile heard about the price he said we shouldn't discuss this over the phone. We should meet."

12:30 pm

No problem with killing

Riley: "Did he indicate that the job would be done?"

Mbolombo: "He indicated that he would do this. That he had no problem."

"We went back to the hotel. Zola said I should allow him to go and we will discuss this some other time.

"A while after Zola had left, I called Abongile. I wanted to tell him that I worked with this guy for a long time and that he can trust the person. He said we should make plans to meet. I didn't see Zola again that day."

12:37 pm

The meet

Mbolombo: "They met. I couldn't make it for that meeting (Saturday). My shift started at 3 and ended at 11.

Riley: "How did you know about the meeting?"

Mbolombo: "I received a call, the morning, from Zola. He said I am coming that side. I don't know Abongile. You know Abongile, so we can meet to discuss. There was then communication between myself and Abongile. I said, it looks like this guy is coming to Khayelitsha today.

"I sat there waiting. I told him that by 1.30pm, I'll be leaving. I was waiting and waiting and waiting.

"At 2pm I got into a taxi. The taxi took me to Site C. Again there was communication between me and him. I told him I'm in a taxi to Site C.

"At Site C, I got into a taxi that was going to Century (City). The taxi left the rank. Just as it left the rank, he told me he was at the rank, close to the Caltex Garage (petrol station). I got out of the taxi."

12:43 pm

The husband wants the lady killed

Mbolombo: "I then got into his car. We had a chat. I asked why are you looking for a hitman. What is it about this person hat you would look for a hitman.

"His response was that there was a couple, married people. The husband wants the lady to be killed. I wanted to know which lady and how do you know these people. Where do you know them from

Mbolombo: "He said I met these people at the airport. It's the man who wants his wife to be killed. Whilst we were chatting Zola's phone rang. He said here's this gentleman we are talking about. I can say now who he was referring to.

"They had a conversation. I could not hear what the gentleman was saying. I could only hear Zola say, I'm coming, I'm coming, I'm coming.

"Zola put the phone down and said, this gentleman doesn't trust me. He then said that he had to go with this gentleman to change dollars into rand, in order to pay the killers."

12:50 pm

Tonga had 'done it before in South Africa'

Mbolombo: "To add to that, he said he didn't want to go to the legitimate places to change money because he is evading tax and that this money was going to be used to pay the people who were going to do the job.

"The other thing I forgot to mention. He said the person was from overseas, not from South Africa.

"He also said it's not the first time this man did this. He did it before in South Africa. Now he wants to do it again.

"And it should look like a fake hijacking

"We then left to my workplace. It was about ten or five minutes before 3pm. Zola went into the main entrance.

"I gained entrance through the back door, as a staff member. He then said I have to rush back to meet these guys.

"He then said he was going back to Khayelitsha. Anything else can be discussed over the phone."

12:53 pm

Middle man role

Mbolombo: "My role was to make sure Zola and Abongile meet and that this thing happens. I didn't know how many would be involved.

"There was communication between all of us that day. That was the day we had the most communication, up until the time I had to go home.

"I would say, starting from 5pm onwards, we started contacting each other. I'm just not sure of the times

"This thing happened in 2010. To get things into order and make sure things go according to plan, because it so happened that if they couldn't get hold of each other, they would call me. I would call the other to inform."

12:56 pm

Mbolombo knew victims were a couple

Mbolombo: "I knew they were a couple. Zola said he was going to drive with them. He would take them to a restaurant in Somerset. They would have something to eat. On their way back, they would call me.

"Abongile called me at around 7, looking for Zola. I'm not certain of the time. I told him I would try to get hold of Zola.

"He told me that they were supposed to meet at 7.30pm but they didn't. I called Zola and informed him that these guys are also looking for gloves."

Riley: "When did you find this out?"

Mbolombo: "I received a call Saturday morning."

1:01 pm

Getting gloves to avoid fingerprints

Mbolombo: "I received a call from Abongile, as we were having a conversation, he said we will have to get gloves so that there will be no fingerprints."

Riley: "Were you expecting any monetary benefit/other?"

Mbolombo: "I'd say so because when Zola told Abongile that they were getting R15000, I told Zola I would also have to get something for all the work I'm doing.

"I said even if I get R5,000, but there was never a discussion of how I would get it or who I would get it from."

1:04 pm

'No price can be put on life'

Riley: "Were there any discussions about the money on Saturday?"

Mbolombo: "Correct."

Riley: "Whom?"

Mbolombo: "Me and Zola. As we were having this conversation, he informed me that he will place the money in the cubbyhole. At the time when all of this happened, I was in financial problems, so we were not thinking how precious a person's life was.

"In my language, there is a saying that no price can be put on a life. We fell into this trap because we were thinking about money, not how precious a life is."

1:06 pm

Where is Zola?

Mbolombo: "Zola was to meet with Abongile to give them the money but they could not meet. We then had this conversation about where he'd leave the money. I then told him that these people were looking for gloves, and if he got it.

"He didn't understand so I asked him, if he knows the gloves used at the hair salon/doctor. That's where we left it.

"Then I'm not sure if Abongile called me or I called him. He asked me where is this man called Zola. It's 7.30pm, where is he. I called Zola. He said the reason his phone was off was because he was with the couple at the time."

1:11 pm

Driver and husband will be taken out of car

Mbolombo: "I said please try to call Abongile because he is looking for you. I then called Abongile and told him I managed to get hold of Zola.

"The reason his phone was off was because he was with the couple. He said they were in Gugulethu. I then got a call from Zola. He said they are leaving the restaurant now, going to Gugulethu.

"I just knew in Gugulethu, (not specifics.) I then wanted to know how are these people going to do this?

"He said as these people are coming, we will take them, take the vehicle to Khayelitsha. The person we will take out of the car is Zola and the husband. The person we will drive with, is the wife."

1:14 pm

The last call before the kill

Riley: "What time was this conversation with Abongile?"

Mbolombo: "It was after 9, approaching 10pm. I did not know exactly where in Khayelitsha this would take place. I just knew in Khayelitsha, then they'd wash the vehicle.

"That time came. That was the last call. I said I'm about to do the banking and you guys are disturbing me. We will chat another time. I was assuming (that the job was done)."

1:18 pm

'I wanted my share too'

Mbolombo: "I couldn't get hold of him. His phone was just on voicemail. I can't remember if I called Abongile or Abongile called me, but Abongile arrived at my house at around past 10am

"I didn't know if it happened. I was playing music on the TV. Abongile said to me that the money Zola gave us was short R5,000.

"He was angry. I want to make it clear to the court, at the time I wanted my share as well.

"But Abongile was so angry, I didn't ask. I told him I don't know where Zola is, his phone is off.

"He said don't ask a lot of questions. Didn't you see on TV what happened? There were police all over the place."

Seeing the killing in the papers

Mbolombo: "I said I didn't see. He said if you see Zola, tell him I want my R5,000. The following day, I went to work.

"I was on the early shift 6am to 3pm. When you get to the desk, the newspapers, Cape Times and Cape Argus are there.

"I passed the papers. Didn't look at them. At the bar, is a table with a plasma and as I looked, all I could see was Zola's car.

"After I saw that car, it came to me that this thing really happened. I then got worried, because I knew very well the contribution I had in that. I moved from the bar to my desk.

"SI tried to take the newspaper - there was nothing other than the tragic incident. I couldn't take the newspaper."

1:25 pm

Called by Tongo during South Africa v USA

Mbolombo: "I assumed that they had really killed the lady who had to be killed.

"I spoke to Zola on Wednesday, November 17 2010."

Riley: "Why do you remember that date?"

Mbolombo: "We received tickets to the game between South Africa and the USA. I was preparing to watch the game."

1:28 pm

These people are dangerous

Mbolombo: "He said to me that he's calling from his girlfriend's phone. He said the police asked him what happened but he lied. He said he'll call again when he comes back.

"After I spoke to Zola, there was contact between me and Abongile. I'm not sure if he called me or I sent a please call me. There's something I forgot, before I get there [Abongile] said, Monde, get away from those ppl, they're very dangerous

Riley: "Did you receive any payment?"

Mbolombo: "I did not."

1:43 pm

Cross examination begins

Defence lawyer Van Zyl: "All that happened in the first phone call, you told him about a job, someone had to be killed and he'd be paid."

Mbolombo rehashes his story of the phone calls to Abongile on Friday.

Van Zyl: "Was there any arrangement for Zola to call Abongile later that day?"

Mbolombo: "The arrangement was that we would meet."

1:50 pm

Discussions before killing

Van Zyl: "Was an arrangement made between the three of you that you would meet sometime? Tell us about it."

Mbolombo: "No, there was no arrangement. We just mentioned that we should meet."

Van Zyl: "Zola Tongo did not speak to Abongile from the hotel with you that day, is that right? At that stage you didn't know if he was really going to do it. He still wanted to discuss. Is that right?"

1:52 pm

Payment arranged

Mbolombo: "Yes he didn't know, because even Abongile changed when he heard the price."

Van Zyl: "Tell us about the R5,000 you wanted.

Mbolombo: "When I heard the price that Zola gave Abongile, I said then I also want.

"We never discussed how I was going to get it, from who I was going to get it or when."

Judge Traverso: "Were you going to get it?"

Mbolombo: "Yes I was."

1:55 pm

Court adjourns until tomorrow

Van Zyl: "R5,000 is quite a lot of money."

Mbolombo: "I agree."

Van Zyl: "So you mention to Zola you want just R5,000. Did you not discuss how?"

Mbolombo: "We didn't discuss [that]."

― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
  Nov 06, 2014 09:38 
By Jane Flanagan

Dewani was framed for his wife's murder when a kidnap and ransom plan went wrong, his trial has heard

Newly released CCTV footage shows accused businessman Shrien Dewani meeting with the taxi driver convicted of his wife's killing, the day after her death.

The clip, released yesterday, shows Dewani and Zola Tongo meeting on the terrace of the Cape Grace on the morning after the fatal carjacking. The footage was presented to the 34-year-old Bristol millionaire's trial in South Africa.

Shrien Dewani meeting Zola Tongo
CCTV Footage: New camera footage shows Shrien Dewani meeting Zola Tongo the morning after Anni was murdered

Dewani is seen talking to Tongo - in the bottom left of the clip - in the hotel the couple had been staying in. A cleaner can then be seen entering the frame to the bottom right, and talk to Dewani.

Tongo told the court yesterday that Dewani asked the cleaner to give them some privacy, and once he left asked the driver 'if the job was done'. This is allegedly a reference to whether his wife had been killed in a pre-arranged 'hit'.

The driver claims he warned Dewani during the conversation that there were cameras pointed at them. At this point Dewani can be seen looking up at the camera then quickly looking away.

Shrien Dewani meeting Zola Tongo
Look Up: Tongo claims he told Dewani there was a camera watching them, prompting the businessman to look up

The accused businessman claims this was an innocent conversation and that at this stage he did not know his wife was dead. He also denies knowing anything about a plot to kill his new bride.

There is no sound on any of the clips being shown to the court, so there is no way to prove what was said during these exchanges.

Yesterday the defence claimed that Dewani was framed for the murder of his wife by his driver and the two hitmen who carried out the killling.

Dewani’s senior lawyer told the court that a convicted murderer would be called as a witness to describe how Zola Tongo boasted of making Dewani a scapegoat when his new bride, Anni was killed by mistake.

Final Footsteps: Other CCTV from the hotel shows the couple walking arm in arm

Tongo, the state’s ‘star witness’ against Dewani, told the ‘lifer’ that a plan to kidnap Mrs Dewani and demand a ransom from her wealthy husband ended in murder when one of her two kidnappers attempted to rape her, the court heard.

The Swedish engineer fought off her attacker and was killed when a gun went off as her two attackers fought, defence lawyer Francois van Zyl said.

With the unplanned death of the honeymooning bride on their hands, Tongo’s first idea was to blackmail 34-year-old Dewani, but this was scrapped in favour of framing him for her murder, Cape Town’s high court heard.

On Trial: Dewani's defence team claims he is being framed for the killing of his new bride Anni

After seven days on the stand, Tongo finally finished giving his evidence to the trial yesterday.

The next witness was police officer Captain Vinesh Lutchman, who has returned to the stand this morning.

Dewani denies five charges, including murder and kidnapping.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shrien-dewani-trial-cctv-video-4577899
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
A bit of visual.... mainly CCTV and the new one shown in court yesterday

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:06:30 PM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »
todays court 7th nov and yesterdays recap

Sorry I cannot copy..........................Link below

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shrien-dewani-trial-recap-updates-4583954
― Plato

Offline lane99

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
After a week of harping on minor discrepancies and trivial inconsistencies in Tongo's statements, Dewani's lawyer ultimately were not able to demonstrate anything more than Tongo is no more likely than anyone else to have perfect recall.

No significant contradictions were uncovered that might suggest Tongo's account of Dewani soliciting him for murder is anything but the basic truth of the matter.

Offline Anna

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
After a week of harping on minor discrepancies and trivial inconsistencies in Tongo's statements, Dewani's lawyer ultimately were not able to demonstrate anything more than Tongo is no more likely than anyone else to have perfect recall.

No significant contradictions were uncovered that might suggest Tongo's account of Dewani soliciting him for murder is anything but the basic truth of the matter.

Yes Lane, It has been a strange week. Yesterdays CCTV disclosure in court was an eye opener though. It certainly was a strange time to be talking to a taxi driver privately and should have been a traumatic time for him.
I wonder if this cellmate was truthful?
Tongo was getting angry at times and repeatedly said that Dewani's defence was all lies. Anyone or almost anyone can be bought, so difficult to fathom what was going on really.
― Plato

Offline lane99

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:45 AM »
...Yesterdays CCTV disclosure in court was an eye opener...

That's a good description.  In fact, it was LITERALLY an eye opener for Shrien Dewani.  Look at 2:51 of the video and notice how wide eyed he gets when Tongo informs him there's a CCTV in the room.  From his body language, it looks like he's about to bolt, then thinks better of it and suddenly stops stiff and tries to appear casual.

Where have you seen that kind of expression and body language before?  That's right, when you walk into the kitchen and catch your child with their hand in the cookie jar.

Offline John

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »
First of all can I thank Anna again for posting the transcripts and the video links.  I must admit I haven't been able to keep up with proceedings so thanks to posters for their updates.

Can I ask anyone who is following the case in its entirety what they think of the evidence so far?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.