Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 281169 times)

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #2326 on: April 26, 2020, 10:55:04 PM »
Davel, undoing and recontstructing UK-EU relations will takes years, if not decades. The UK has 6 weeks, in the middle of a pandemic, to decide on whethr to request an extension or not. The EU also has a pandemic to deal with.

For those (including me) who were worried about how the UK (or the rest of the EU) would deal with Brexit-related just-in-time supply chain issues as of next year...

It's not just about the economic impact, either.

Taking back control (of whatever it was they felt they'd actually lost) doesn't seem to be faring too well.

How on earth will the UK cope with this surge of the pandemic, a possible / probable upsurge in winter and no/little cooperation with their nearest neighbours over... anything concrete by Jan 1 2021?

Better than Spain and Italy I should wonder.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1272371/eu-news-coronavirus-italy-coronabonds-germany-netherlands-polls-italexit-spt

all hands on deck. not quite  all hands in trough and closed borders and look after own country.  Not very neighbourly at all.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #2328 on: June 16, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/07/the-coronavirus-crisis-wont-give-boris-johnson-an-alibi-for-a-calamitous-brexit

"It would be madness for Britain and bad for the EU not to reach an agreement. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. There’s a way. The question is whether there’s the will. If there’s not, a crisis triggered by a microbe will be calamitously compounded by a disaster that will be entirely manmade."

Offline Carana

« Reply #2329 on: June 17, 2020, 02:03:19 PM »
Some people seem to think that Brexit is just about reorganising trade agreements.

It's not.

It affects everything and nothing appears to have been settled.

To take the issue down to the mundane level, EU pet passports will no longer apply.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/bob-stewart-on-pet-passport-scheme-after-brexit-1-6703548?fbclid=IwAR1c9zg-MU5-Gcm1NKCMXKt_FjYMSMkyo37BmbokNa4BgH9jSRpExLBnA0c

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #2330 on: June 17, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
Some people seem to think that Brexit is just about reorganising trade agreements.

It's not.

It affects everything and nothing appears to have been settled.

To take the issue down to the mundane level, EU pet passports will no longer apply.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/bob-stewart-on-pet-passport-scheme-after-brexit-1-6703548?fbclid=IwAR1c9zg-MU5-Gcm1NKCMXKt_FjYMSMkyo37BmbokNa4BgH9jSRpExLBnA0c

and some people,  the usual suspects,  seem to forget that the UK isn't a region of France or Germany!

as we have seen, the EU are a squalid bunch of useless self serving bureaucrats!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #2331 on: June 26, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »
Four years on from the UK's Brexit vote, a majority of British voters would now opt to remain inside the European Union, says new research.

According to the European Social Survey (ESS), a pan-European poll carried out every two years, 56.8% of respondents in the UK indicated that they would vote to remain inside the bloc, an increase from 49.9% the last time the survey was published in 2018. The most recent survey shows that of those questioned in the UK, 34.9% said they would vote to leave and 8.3% said they would not vote at all.

The findings -- shared exclusively with CNN -- come in the same week that marked the fourth anniversary of the 2016 referendum. The intervening years have seen the UK engage in divisive internal debate about precisely what form Brexit should take, complicated negotiations with Brussels on how the country would leave the bloc, and painful political deadlock that only ended on January 31 this year, when the UK finally left the EU.

The survey also reveals that support for the EU has grown broadly across the continent.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/25/uk/uk-supports-eu-four-years-after-brexit-intl-gbr/index.html

Not sure that that was the intended outcome of Bannon / Cummings / Banks and various Russian connections.

Four and a half days to go before requesting an extension in the midst of the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.

But, hey-ho, hedge-fund managers, insurers and those with dual nationality seem to be okay.

PS Was the Russia report ever released?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #2332 on: June 26, 2020, 01:35:58 PM »

'Four years on from the UK's Brexit vote, a majority of British voters would now opt to remain inside the European Union, says new research.

According to the European Social Survey (ESS), a pan-European poll carried out every two years, 56.8% of respondents in the UK indicated that they would vote to remain inside the bloc, an increase from 49.9% the last time the survey was published in 2018.'

I would have voted Tory in the 1997 general election had I been old enough to vote.

I think there are many people who with hindsight would have voted Tory.

I think the 1997 general election should now be re-run.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2333 on: June 26, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
President Donald Trump and his former national security adviser John Bolton were among the few in the US administration who cared about helping Brexiteers, Bolton has said in his new book.

The former Trump aide says in his controversial memoir that Britain’s exit from the European Union was “an existential issue” for the UK but also “critically important to the US.”

“We should have been doing far more to help the Brexiteers, and I certainly tried,” Mr Bolton wrote in The Room Where It Happened, his memoir of his 17 months in the White House.

“Unfortunately, apart from Trump and myself, almost no one in the administration seemed to care. What a potential tragedy.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/only-trump-and-bolton-cared-about-helping-brexiteers-says-former-us-aide-1.4282843

Jun 21, 2020 - World
Nigel Farage attends Trump rally after exemption from U.S. travel ban
https://www.axios.com/nigel-farage-attends-trump-rally-uk-travel-ban-ff6b6c4f-17a5-4468-a293-b7d23eba6944.html

A bit more:

President Trump encouraged Nigel Farage, the U.K.'s pro-Brexit provocateur, to "get together" with Prime Minister Boris Johnson to deliver a Brexiteer victory in the upcoming general election, during a conversation Thursday on Farage's radio program on LBC.

Why it matters: Farage and Johnson are perhaps the two men most closely associated with Brexit, but they're leading competing parties into the Dec. 12 election. Johnson's Conservatives fear Farage's Brexit Party could play a spoiler role, denying them a parliamentary majority. Trump praised both Johnson and Farage effusively while claiming opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn would be "so bad for your country."

Context: Johnson had promised to deliver Brexit by tonight but was ultimately forced to accept an extension from the EU. He's running as the man who can get Brexit done, but Farage claims the deal Johnson struck with Brussels is far too soft.

Trump seemed to agree with Farage's claims, saying the deal would make a U.S.-U.K. trade deal difficult, but he said repeatedly that Johnson is the "exact leader" the U.K. needs.

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-tells-nigel-farage-work-boris-johnson-6a0918da-cc31-4efd-888a-20c9a07b1b41.html

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:57:09 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #2334 on: June 26, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »

and some people,  the usual suspects,  seem to forget that the UK isn't a region of France or Germany!

as we have seen, the EU are a squalid bunch of useless self serving bureaucrats!

In which the UK had a substantial voice and influence with the highest 3rd ex-aequo number of parliamentarians.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2335 on: June 26, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »
Fishing is an emotive topic, and Farage was on the committee for years... but only turned up to one out of 42* meetings.

https://www.libdemvoice.org/about-nigel-farage-and-the-british-fishing-industry-50948.html

* To double-check, my recollection is that there were 47-48 in total, but that he'd still only turned up for one.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2336 on: June 26, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
'Four years on from the UK's Brexit vote, a majority of British voters would now opt to remain inside the European Union, says new research.

According to the European Social Survey (ESS), a pan-European poll carried out every two years, 56.8% of respondents in the UK indicated that they would vote to remain inside the bloc, an increase from 49.9% the last time the survey was published in 2018.'

I would have voted Tory in the 1997 general election had I been old enough to vote.

I think there are many people who with hindsight would have voted Tory.

I think the 1997 general election should now be re-run.
Nobody is now calling for the Brexit vote to be re-run, why are you bothering to make such a pointless post?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly