Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26659 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »
Depends on how significant I suppose. One could also ask how many generations must those people occupy a land before it becomes a nation.

Is the USA a nation by virtue of its European, Chinese or African hertitage?   Bearing in mind the fact that the Red Indian nations are all descended from the Mongoloid peoples of Asia.
The Americans consider the US to be a nation despite the fact that it is essentially a country of immigrants. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »
According to the veritable wikipedia, a nation is a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory. That would appear to rule out many incomers to the UK automatically.

I don't think England, Canada, Australia or the USA are nations in the strict sense of the word, they are countries. Their populations don't have a common descent and they don't all share a history or culture.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
I don't think England, Canada, Australia or the USA are nations in the strict sense of the word, they are countries. Their populations don't have a common descent and they don't all share a history or culture.

It gets complicated.

What about Native Americans within the USA?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »
Ernest Renan's What is a Nation? (1882) declares that "race is confused with nation and a sovereignty analogous to that of really existing peoples is attributed to ethnographic or, rather linguistic groups", and "[t]he truth is that there is no pure race and that to make politics depend upon ethnographic analysis is to surrender it to a chimera", echoing a sentiment of civic nationalism. He also claims that a nation does not form on the basis of dynasty, language, religion, geography, or shared interests. Rather, "[a] nation is a soul, a spiritual principle. Two things, which in truth are but one, constitute this soul or spiritual principle. One lies in the past, one in the present. One is the possession in common of a rich legacy of memories; the other is present-day consent, the desire to live together, the will to perpetuate the value of the heritage that one has received in an undivided form", emphasizing the democratic and historical aspects of what constitutes a nation, although, "[f]orgetting, I would even go so far as to say historical error, is a crucial factor in the creation of a nation". "A nation is therefore a large-scale solidarity", which Renan says is reaffirmed in a "daily plebiscite".[4]
I reckon Scotland can safely be called a nation judging from the above.

Thank goodness for that.
Otherwise the Six Nations Rugby Championship would have to be altered to the five nations and one country championship, or indeed perhaps four nations and two countries championship, or even three nations and three countries championship.
I'm unsure if France, Italy and Wales qualify as nations.
Could be one nation i.e.  Ireland and five countries championship. Lol.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
It sounds like racial purity has something to do with G-Unit’s definition of nation.  So, not England because of all the immigrants over the years.  Somewhere like Japan or Papua New Guinea probably count as nations by her definition.

It's not my definition, I got it from the same place as John. It seems to be a matter of opinion rather than of fact when you dig down; a bit like Brexit.

I was only interested because Scotland was being described as a nation rather than a country and I wondered why. I'm English, but wouldn't descibe England as a nation.

Canada and Belgium are countries which contain two nations.

Iceland and Japan are nations because the mahority of their populations share the same ancestry and culture.
https://www.thoughtco.com/country-state-and-nation-1433559
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »
It gets complicated.

What about Native Americans within the USA?

It sure does. I think they have many of the characteristics of a nation.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »
A very happy Burns day to all.
Our national poet an Ayrshire man whose poetry  has become much admired by many, many nations around the globe.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:28:25 AM by Erngath »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 09:35:15 AM »
A very happy Burns day to all.
Our national poet an Ayrshire man whose poetry  has become much admired by many, many nations around the globe.

And to The King over the water.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
And to The King over the water.

Just googled who that is
Apparently he is Franz the Duke of Bavaria.
Excellent.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
I have to say I find this looking back to the past by the Irish and the Scottish people very strange. I don't think anyone seriously imagines that a Bavarian Duke's connection to the House of Stuart is relevant to anything in today's world.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
I have to say I find this looking back to the past by the Irish and the Scottish people very strange. I don't think anyone seriously imagines that a Bavarian Duke's connection to the House of Stuart is relevant to anything in today's world.

It is if he is a descendent.  A large number of my Irish family died at Culloden.  And Yes, I do mind.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
It is if he is a descendent.  A large number of my Irish family died at Culloden.  And Yes, I do mind.

I think most people have ancestors who were killed in some battle or another, but it's gone and past now. Holding onto these matters for almost 300 years seems a bit OTT to me.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »
I think most people have ancestors who were killed in some battle or another, but it's gone and past now. Holding onto these matters for almost 300 years seems a bit OTT to me.

You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »

To clear up any misunderstanding, my post was not to be taken seriously.
I don't imagine the said Duke wants to be crowned King of Scotland.
Nor do I wish him to be.

There are more than enough Royals in the UK.
Decidedly too many .IMO
But that is a whole different topic.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
So much in life perplexes you doesn’t it?  Holding onto and celebrating  history and tradition is an aspect of what makes a nation a nation. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly