Author Topic: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?  (Read 111246 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
Sorry John.

And you should learn to read those reports.

There is no evidence that there were any cases in Algarve. Even the cases about missing children (undefined) reported about Portugal need to be crossed with the data about children recovered. Most of them were runaway teenagers and parental abductions, resolved by now.

I'm very understanding about ignorance, but I'm very fierce about malice.

I'd be interested in how may children were recovered. No doubt many were, as would be the case elswhere as well.
Do you have any figures on how many of these 150/200 kids per 100k population have been found?

Offline John

« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »

You better get your sources cleared out. Apart from those 3 kids, there are none other missing in almost 2 decades.

Only if you forget about these kids...

Jorge Sepulveda, aged 14, disappeared in 1991.

Claudia Silva e Sousa, aged 7, disappeared in 1994.

Rui Pedro Mendonca, aged 11, disappeared in 1998.

Rui Periera, aged 13, disappeared in 1999.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:55:27 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Silkywhiskers

« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
Three thousand kids couldve gone without a trace for all I care.

NONE OF IT proves Madeleine was abducted.

Offline John

« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:36 PM »
The European Commission seems to be fair enough to me.

I found these figures contained within the report to be quite interesting.  A surprising disparency between Spain and Portugal.

France, the Czech Republic, Luxemburg, Malta and Denmark all report around 300-350 missing children cases per 100,000 children; Around 150-200 cases of missing children per every 100,000 children are reported annually in Slovakia, Lithuania and Portugal; In Latvia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Estonia, Romania, between 81 and 112 children are reported missing; In Denmark, Finland, Poland and Italy, between 50 and 75 reports on missing children are filed each year per 100,000 children; The lowest share of missing children cases in those aged 17 or less is found in Netherlands, Greece, Spain and Cyprus, where it ranges between 6 and 35 reports per 100,000 children; With some exceptions (Estonia, Spain, Lithuania), the annual figures were consistent and no major breaks in the data (missing data or inexplicably high/ low jumps in values) could be detected. In the majority of the Member States, there appears to be an upward trend within the period towards more cases of missing children being reported per 100,000 children.

http://resourcecentre.savethechildren.se/sites/default/files/documents/1709_missing_children_study_2013_en_original_1.pdf
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:09:48 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline sadie

« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »

Hmmm?   >@@(*&)

Offline Carana

« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
I found these figures contained within the report to be quite interesting.  A surprising disparency between Spain and Portugal.

France, the Czech Republic, Luxemburg, Malta and Denmark all report around 300-350 missing children cases per 100,000 children; Around 150-200 cases of missing children per every 100,000 children are reported annually in Slovakia, Lithuania and Portugal; In Latvia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Estonia, Romania, between 81 and 112 children are reported missing; In Denmark, Finland, Poland and Italy, between 50 and 75 reports on missing children are filed each year per 100,000 children; The lowest share of missing children cases in those aged 17 or less is found in Netherlands, Greece, Spain and Cyprus, where it ranges between 6 and 35 reports per 100,000 children; With some exceptions (Estonia, Spain, Lithuania), the annual figures were consistent and no major breaks in the data (missing data or inexplicably high/ low jumps in values) could be detected. In the majority of the Member States, there appears to be an upward trend within the period towards more cases of missing children being reported per 100,000 children.

http://resourcecentre.savethechildren.se/sites/default/files/documents/1709_missing_children_study_2013_en_original_1.pdf

I found the report interesting, but the raw statistics may be misleading, for example, if there are different laws or customs concerning when missing kids are actually reported, or whether kids who are found quickly appear in the records submitted or not, the amount of data that could be retrieved by the researchers, etc.

The report also flags the lack of any kind of common approach - the lengthy list of recommendations is quite impressive.

Offline Carana

« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »

Unless some independent witness with a camera handy who happened to snap someone stuffing her in the boot of a car (also handily snapping the plate number), and screeching off loudly enough for other independent witnesses to roll up their blinds at night to look out of their windows in the nick of time, what proof would you expect?

Estuarine

« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id136.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/madeleine-mccann

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Update-on-the-investigation-into-the-disappearance-of-Madeleine-McCann/1400020366124/1257246745756

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office, The Metropolitan Police Service and The PJ archiving reports do not use the word "abduction"; consistently they use the terms "missing" and "disappearance".
As these are the only authoritative voices I would choose to believe them.

The MPS say they are working two theories not one
We are working on the basis of two possibilities here. One is that Madeleine is still alive; and the second that she is sadly dead.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:34:41 AM by Estuarine »

Offline Carana

« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id136.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/madeleine-mccann

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Update-on-the-investigation-into-the-disappearance-of-Madeleine-McCann/1400020366124/1257246745756

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office, The Metropolitan Police Service and The PJ archiving reports do not use the word "abduction"; consistently they use the terms "missing" and "disappearance".
As these are the only authoritative voices I would choose to believe them.

The MPS say they are working two theories not one
We are working on the basis of two possibilities here. One is that Madeleine is still alive; and the second that she is sadly dead.

I don't have a problem with that. In the absence of irrefutable evidence that she had, indeed, been abducted, what else are authorities supposed to file a missing child case as?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
I don't have a problem with that. In the absence of irrefutable evidence that she had, indeed, been abducted, what else are authorities supposed to file a missing child case as?

A missing child?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Carana

« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Where are we on this issue?

Is anyone still adamant that only 3-6 children have ever been missing/abducted in Portugal over the past ten years?

Even if there are more missing kids in the UK than in some other countries, are all the criteria the same?

Who has statistics about how many missing kids were found? And what happened to them when they were missing? If some were sadly abducted / abused and / or murdered, where are the statistics to distinguish these cases?

Silkywhiskers

« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2014, 03:23:13 AM »
Unless some independent witness with a camera handy who happened to snap someone stuffing her in the boot of a car (also handily snapping the plate number), and screeching off loudly enough for other independent witnesses to roll up their blinds at night to look out of their windows in the nick of time, what proof would you expect?

Anything would do.

A fingerprint, some stray hairs, a valid sighting...?

No, what we've got is -

eyewitnesses identifying Gerry a man who looked like Gerry
the efit of Gerry the man who looks like Gerry being suppressed
the lies changing stories of the parents
the odd behaviour of the parents including (especially) the lack of searching for their baby and leaving them to cry alone in the first place
the prevarication and lack of cooperation of THE ENTIRE TAPAS CREW.
the Dogs
the DNA

How on earth Team McCann can add up all the above and come up with UNKNOWN PERP, is beyond me.

It makes no sense from any direction.

8-)(--)

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
Where are we on this issue?

Is anyone still adamant that only 3-6 children have ever been missing/abducted in Portugal over the past ten years?

Even if there are more missing kids in the UK than in some other countries, are all the criteria the same?

Who has statistics about how many missing kids were found? And what happened to them when they were missing? If some were sadly abducted / abused and / or murdered, where are the statistics to distinguish these cases?

Could be the abductors have moved on to a quieter location because of all the ruckus in Portugal after May 2007.  We will never know for sure but it could be that Madeleine's disappearance and the publicity which followed it saved many other children from the same fate.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:59:23 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline sadie

« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

8@??)(

Such a sensible answer,

But if some people are determined NOT to believe there was an abduction, and that the Mccanns "Dunit", NOTHING would convince them ... even that, I fear, Carana.

Offline sadie

« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
Could be the abductors have moved on to a quieter location because of all the ruckus in Portugal after May 2007.  We will never know for sure but it could be that Madeleine's disappearance and the publicity which followed it saved many other children from the same fate.
Let's hope so Angelo.  But an abducted child is an abducted child, whether in PT or Timbuktu.  8(8-))