Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413469 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1230 on: December 10, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

P.S. Can the closing arguments introduce additions to the evidence?
I don't think so.
Keep in mind that, if the parties are allowed to state, they will not do it as witnesses, there will be no cross examination. I guess though that the order of intervention isn't a negligible element.

Redblossom

« Reply #1231 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/skymartinbrunt

Can someone c and p please before it gets buried, I cant c and p at the moment off tablet for some reason

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:03:57 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1232 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »

martinbrunt @skymartinbrunt  3h 
#madeleine Kate and Gerry McCann refused permission to give evidence next week in Lisbon libel trial over ex-cop Goncalo Amaral'sbook.

martinbrunt @skymartinbrunt  3h 
#madeleine McCann's lawyer will appeal the judge's decision. The hearing is expected to finish on Tuesday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/skymartinbrunt

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Redblossom

« Reply #1233 on: January 03, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
Many thanks WS

8((()*/

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1234 on: January 03, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »

Many thanks WS

8((()*/

Thanks to you for sharing the link. You are an asset to this forum red.  8@??)(
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1235 on: January 03, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
IMO this means if the courts wont allow  gerry and kate to speak that imo they  dont believe that GA has  caused them any  trauma??  because if they thought that GA  caused gerry and kate  trauma wouldnt they let them talk about it??

Offline jassi

« Reply #1236 on: January 03, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
I don' think one can second guess the judge's reasons. Suffice it to say that their input is not consider3ed relevant.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

« Reply #1237 on: January 03, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
I don' think one can second guess the judge's reasons. Suffice it to say that their input is not consider3ed relevant.

Yep!

For all anyone knows, it might simply be that the court considers it has sufficient information to reach a verdict without having to listen to any further witness testimony.

And the verdict might be either way ...

Offline lizzibif

« Reply #1238 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Neither can Amaral..oh dear..

Madeleine McCann parents cannot give evidence at detective's libel trial, judge rules

KATE and Gerry McCann were "disappointed" today after a judge ruled they cannot give evidence at the £1million libel trial of disgraced detective Goncalo Amaral.

By: Tom Worden Published: Fri, January 3, 2014

The couple wanted to take the stand to give explain how Amaral's book about the Madeleine case had left them devastated.

But judge Maria de Melo e Castro ruled neither the McCanns nor the former police officer can give evidence in the case.

The couple, both 45-year-old doctors from Rothley, Leics, are suing Amaral for £1 million over his book The Truth of the Lie and a related TV documentary.

In the book Amaral, the former chief investigator on the case, claimed Madeleine died in the family's Algarve holiday apartment and accused the parents of faking her abduction.

The McCanns say Amaral became rich by promoting his warped theories after being thrown off the investigation in October 2007, five months after Madeleine went missing.

The judge also ruled Amaral cannot give evidence in the civil case, being heard at the Palace of Justice in Lisbon.

The McCanns' lawyer Isabel Duarte said today: "Obviously Gerry and Kate were disappointed when they were told the news, but that is the judge's decision and they have to accept that.

"We believe they have the right to give evidence in the case. But the judge has made up her mind."

The judge informed the McCanns' legal team of her decision today.

The libel trial began last September and had has heard how Mrs McCann contemplated suicide after Amaral's book was published.

British psychologist Alan Pike, who counselled Madeleine's mother, said she confessed to secret "dark thoughts" about suicide after the book came out.

The book was a best-seller in Portugal, selling 120,000 copies before it was removed from the shelves after the McCanns won an injunction.

The documentary based on the book was broadcast by Portuguese station TVI in April 2009 and was watched by 2.2million viewers.

Mr Amaral, 56, was thrown off the Madeleine investigation after publicly criticising British police involved in the case.

He denies defamation and claims everything in the book is based on police and court files on the case, which have been made public.

Lawyers for the McCanns, Amaral, the book publishers and the documentary producers, also being sued, are due to give their closing statements in the trial next Tuesday.

Madeleine went missing during a family holiday in Praia da Luz, in May 2007.

The case was shelved by Portuguese authorities the following year, but officially reopened last October when Portuguese police said there are "new lines of enquiry."

Speaking of their bid to give evidence against Amaral soon after they applied to testify, Gerry said: "My wife Kate and I know better than anyone else what we have experienced and what we have gone through and the damage that has been caused to the search for Madeleine."

Offline jassi

« Reply #1239 on: January 03, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
I  believe they wanted to give evidence that could not  be challenged by cross-examination, but  to make a statement that could not be questioned.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline lizzibif

« Reply #1240 on: January 03, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
I  believe they wanted to give evidence that could not  be challenged by cross-examination, but  to make a statement that could not be questioned.

Amaral has been refused aswell you know not just Kate and Gerry..

Offline jassi

« Reply #1241 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
Amaral has been refused aswell you know not just Kate and Gerry..

Yes, I know. It would hardly be fair to grant access to one side and not to the other.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:56:33 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Offline lizzibif

« Reply #1242 on: January 03, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »
Yes, I know. I would hardly be fair to grant access to one side and not to the other.

And quite so..i believe the judge has summed things up and therefore doesn't need anymore information..just a waiting game now..

ferryman

« Reply #1243 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
There is one thing I would love to know, and Jean-Pierre would probably be best qualified to answer.

At the outset, Snr Santos pleaded with the court to let proceedings be in camera to protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive.

Considering that Amaral is defending the right, not merely to say Madeleine is dead, but that Kate and Gerry caused her death, know she is dead, covered up the fact of her death, and launched a fraudulent "appeal" in Madeleine's name, why did not that astonishing request lead to an instant collapse of Amaral's defence?

Offline jassi

« Reply #1244 on: January 03, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Presumably because to do so would have been a pre-judgement of the case without hearing any of the evidence.

Or maybe not -