Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413445 times)

Offline carlymichelle

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
ever heard  of   a ipad   they are used now  more then pen and paper at  least for the   tech savy   generation

Offline Luz

« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
Anne I believe you don't need shorthand.

I never used it and yet I am trained to reproduce 3/4 hours long interviews with only short notes.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
Regarding the interim report and any later reports, I would like to remind certain people that the judge at the current libel trial stated that the archiving report was not a judgement but a piece of evidence. She also said more than once that the investigation was inconclusive, which means that no one has been cleared because it has not been determined which crime has been committed.

In the "acordão" from the appeals court which overturned the book ban, the three judges stated that the archiving report was nothing more than the opinion of the judge who wrote it and that Gonçalo Amaral's opinion was just as valid, in view of his 24 years experience as a policeman, since his conclusions were based on the files from the criminal investigation. The judges also stated that if the case has been handed to another judge, it is possible that this judge could come to a completely different opinion and conclusion and decide not to shelve the case.

BTW, as so many posters here believe that the McCanns were exonerated in the archiving report, I would like to know then why the parents did not request that the case not be shelved, especially since they were longer "suspect" and they could "trust" the police.

drummer

« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
Many moons ago I used shorthand in my work. Taking notes from one speaker is easy enough but  it can be quite challenging when multiple people are speaking using terms that your not especially familiar with such as you will find in medicine and law. My shorthand speed was very fast and accurate but I would've needed extra training if I wanted to become involved in the dictation of medicine and law.

Don't know how people could manage to be accurate writing in long hand .

AnneGuedes

« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
Luz guessed well, I don't use shorthand. I'll send through John photos of my notes..
The main problem is listening to someone who turns his back on you..

AnneGuedes

« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2013, 07:57:31 PM »
I forgot to say, I'm a grammarian, so instinctively I drop what I can re-establish later (not too late though).

Offline JackieL

« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »
I'm certainly not surreptitious and it didn't pass my mind to record. See what the judge said about a journalist supposed to use her cell phone. And I don't take a few notes, I constantly write in order to be the most objective possible. Even so I have to count on my memory. After a few days my notes would be of no use.

Anne, you are doing a truly fantastic job.  After 6 years following this case, for many of us you are the only reporter, giving as accurate account as possible about what is REALLY happening in that courtroom, rather than sitting back and regurgitating the bucketloads of PR spin, as all our so-called professional papers in the UK are doing.

icabodcrane

« Reply #262 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Anne, you are doing a truly fantastic job.  After 6 years following this case, for many of us you are the only reporter, giving as accurate account as possible about what is REALLY happening in that courtroom, rather than sitting back and regurgitating the bucketloads of PR spin, as all our so-called professional papers in the UK are doing.

I couldn't agree more

Now that we are getting detailed information directly from source it is so much more apparent how facts are spun almost out of recognition in our press

Redblossom

« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
I couldn't agree more

Now that we are getting detailed information directly from source it is so much more apparent how facts are spun almost out of recognition in our press
@)(++(*

Known for a few years now.....sad inditement on some so called journalists...I would  imagine the more serious ones are waiting it out, writing copy in the meantime, funny old business

in the meantime its most excellent to get reports from a forum member there at the scene despite some members complaining, wonder if they would be complaining if reports looked bad for the defence!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
@)(++(*

Known for a few years now.....sad inditement on some so called journalists...I would  imagine the more serious ones are waiting it out, writing copy in the meantime, funny old business

in the meantime its most excellent to get reports from a forum member there at the scene despite some members complaining, wonder if they would be complaining if reports looked bad for the defence!
Journalists have to earn their living. I'm free, this is an enormous privilege, I wouldn't feel well if I didn't take advantage of this.
Astro said I'm your eyes and your ears, and this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
You don't imagine how grateful I'm.

Redblossom

« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
Journalists have to earn their living. I'm free, this is an enormous privilege, I wouldn't feel well if I didn't take advantage of this.
Astro said I'm your eyes and your ears, and this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
You don't imagine how grateful I'm.

Well  its bloody priceless Anne
 8((()*/

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
Well  its bloody priceless Anne
 8((()*/

Absolutely Red. Thank you again Anne for all your effort.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Redblossom

« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
Absolutely Red. Thank you again Anne for all your effort.

Yup

Offline gilet

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2013, 01:15:00 AM »
I wonder would John and Anne agree to the following.

When I work collaboratively with colleagues on documents we always maintain a record of the original, and each stage of the changes that have been made because it allows a fuller understanding of the way the document developed.

In the spirit of openness and completeness would John and Anne agree to the posting of all three stages of these court reports? Notes, Anne's original report and the final edited version. That way we could all see the way in which the record was achieved.

Senior editor comment added.

There aren't enough hours in the day but in any
event only Anne can decipher Anne's notes.

John
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:58:17 PM by John »

icabodcrane

« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »
I wonder would John and Anne agree to the following.

When I work collaboratively with colleagues on documents we always maintain a record of the original, and each stage of the changes that have been made because it allows a fuller understanding of the way the document developed.

In the spirit of openness and completeness would John and Anne agree to the posting of all three stages of these court reports? Notes, Anne's original report and the final edited version. That way we could all see the way in which the record was achieved.

oh for heaven's sake stop sniping !

Why is it that to you and some others  un-spun facts and straightforward truth is anathema ?