Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412107 times)

Offline John

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #960 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
Well, that latest demonstration outside The Court by a bunch of idiot Brits won't have helped all that much.

That was a false report Eleanor.  There were no protesters outside court today at the Lisbon libel hearing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:31:36 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Benice

« Reply #961 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
The witnesses on behalf of the McCanns never testified anything that they had witnessed first hand, all of it was hearsay. Kate said this, Gerry said that, etc. I don't know if anyone has noticed that the friends who testified for them only met them after Maddie disappeared.

Of course it's not hearsay.  The witnesses have all spent time with the McCanns and could see for themselves (first hand) the affect Amaral's libellous book and statements were having on them.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

ferryman

« Reply #962 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
But if either party submitted written evidence that the opposing party felt was untrue,  or unjustified,  or incomplete,  then surely they would have the opportunity  (  in open court  )  to raise such concerns/objections  ?

I grant that it would seem logical to suppose so.

But by the Napoleonic Code ex-parte judgments, regarded under the adversarial system as actions of last resort where one party is deemed to be in peril, is automatic and routine under the Napoleonic Code.

Deborah Dark was acquitted in open court, then convicted in her absence by appeal in France.

First she knew was when she travelled in Europe and was arrested under an EAW.

http://www.fairtrials.org/cases/deborah-dark/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:36:53 PM by ferryman »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #963 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
So you think libelling someone i.e. publically telling lies about them - can be justified?    I don't.

What lies did he tell??  Wasn't the shelving of the case based on the same evidence?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #964 on: November 27, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
Of course it's not hearsay.  The witnesses have all spent time with the McCanns and could see for themselves (first hand) the affect Amaral's libellous book and statements were having on them.

What emotional throes the McCanns may or may not have gone through will hardly determine the outcome of a libel case.  They are claiming that Mr Amaral's book damaged the search for Madeleine when it is clear to see that the opposite is true.  It was the McCanns by their own actions thwarted the search, a search which they have never physically participated in for more than 6 years. 

They can't really blame Amaral for damaging the search for Madeleine when they themselves haven't gone out and searched anywhere recently.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:42:02 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

icabodcrane

« Reply #965 on: November 27, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »

That was a false report Eleanor.  There were no protesters outside court today at the Lisbon libel hearing.

Thanks for clearing that up John

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #966 on: November 27, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
What emotional throes the McCanns may or may not have gone through will hardly determine the outcome of a libel case.  They are claiming that Mr Amaral's book damaged the search for Madeleine when it is clear to see that the opposite is true.  It was the McCanns by their own actions thwarted the search, a search which they have never physically participated in for some 6 years.

they are also claiming the book libelled them...none of u8s understand Portuguese law but certainly in the uk it would be classed as libel

Offline John

« Reply #967 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up John
No probs   8((()*/
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #968 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »

As if anyone thought it wasn't, false John. Its what happens when some posters can't think for themselves. They go round finding all sorts of crap to copy, as long as it gets a dig in against the McCann's.

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton   
#McCann libel trial adjourned until January 7

Libel trial judge says she has not yet decided if she will allow Madeleine #McCann parents to give evidence

Goncalo Amaral, who led police hunt for Madeleine #McCann for 5 mths, denies libel. Insists book & TV doc based on info from police files

Tv documentary was seen by 2.2m in Portugal. Madeleine #McCann parents claim it is defamatory and seek £1m in libel damages

Goncalo Amaral tells TV documentary viewed by libel trial judge he is convinced Madeleine #McCann died in her parents' holiday apartment

Libel trial hears Goncalo Amaral - in TV documentary - accused Madeleine #McCann parents of staging 'pseudo-abduction' i

Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline John

« Reply #969 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
they are also claiming the book libelled them...none of u8s understand Portuguese law but certainly in the uk it would be classed as libel

I don't know about that Dave.  After all the book was based entirely on the police investigation and where the evidence pointed.

Lyall

« Reply #970 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »

I don't think it's the book that's the problem. It can't be denied the film is a good deal more dogmatic. >@@(*&)

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #971 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
I don't know about that Dave.  After all the book was based entirely on the police investigation and where the evidence pointed.

As far as I know he says Maddie died in the apt and the MCCanns covered it up...staged an abduction...told lies...disposed of the body one month later ... I think police reports may well be covered by privilege..as are court proceedings and statements made in parliament...amaral wrote it all in a book

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #972 on: November 27, 2013, 08:53:19 PM »

So who sent in that one?  We were supposed to be frightfully impressed by this.  The whole world is supporting Amaral?

Oh Dear.  Not true.

Offline John

« Reply #973 on: November 27, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
So who sent in that one?  We were supposed to be frightfully impressed by this.  The whole world is supporting Amaral?

Oh Dear.  Not true.

Some anon posted it on twitter this afternoon.

ferryman

« Reply #974 on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
I don't think it's the book that's the problem. It can't be denied the film is a good deal more dogmatic. >@@(*&)

Let's see.

How many people think Stuart Prior said, in England, people have been arrested on less than the PJ had against the McCanns?

That's from Amaral's book.

John:

I think police reports may well be covered by privilege..as are court proceedings and statements made in parliament...amaral wrote it all in a book

Hang on, hang on.  In the context of a criminal investigation where the reports are confined to the official files, yes!

But when the allegations are repeated in a publication apart from the official files, that's very different ...