Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412178 times)

Offline Montclair

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1050 on: November 28, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
It might be in the LC files. After all it was an idea of the British, wasn't it ?
There's evidence in the files that some files aren't there and I'm not thinking of the paedo-files.
Watching the documentary, actually hearing it because the public could only see the back of the screen, I noticed that GA speaks of that episode. I don't think he would do that if there was nothing to support it.

That episode was an idea of the British police and since it was not an official diligence of the Portuguese investigation it is not in the Portuguese police files.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1051 on: November 28, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I will accept whatever  ruling the Judge gives

At this point, though,  I am confused about  what, exactly,  she will be ruling on

Is she judging whether or not Amaral made false allegations against the McCanns,  and therby damaged them   ?  ...  or is she judging whether or not the McCanns were damaged by Amaral's allegations  regardless  of them being false or not  ?
Or is she judging whether or not the McCanns were damaged by allegations that a criminal process supports, a criminal process that the MP turned public through DVDs ?
Some witnesses for the plaintiffs argued that the book was far more easy, entertaining and quick to read than the files, then had much more chances to be read.

Offline Luz

« Reply #1052 on: November 28, 2013, 05:00:49 PM »
Or is she judging whether or not the McCanns were damaged by allegations that a criminal process supports, a criminal process that the MP turned public through DVDs ?
Some witnesses for the plaintiffs argued that the book was far more easy, entertaining and quick to read than the files, then had much more chances to be read.

ooops was responding to Ibo

Quote from: icabodcrane on Today at 04:46:07 PM
I will accept whatever  ruling the Judge gives

At this point, though,  I am confused about  what, exactly,  she will be ruling on

Is she judging whether or not Amaral made false allegations against the McCanns,  and therby damaged them   ?  ...  or is she judging whether or not the McCanns were damaged by Amaral's allegations  regardless  of them being false or not  ?

She can only pronounce about the second, since the first was disproved in a previous trial.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:03:25 PM by Luz »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1053 on: November 28, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »
That episode was an idea of the British police and since it was not an official diligence of the Portuguese investigation it is not in the Portuguese police files.
This is not the only case of an informal diligence that is not registered in the files. We know only through Mrs McCann's book that they were interviewed in August 2007.

Offline Rogerandout

• Upholder of Verifiable Scientific Truth
« Reply #1054 on: November 28, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
For the McCann, obtaining money seems to be all that counts.
So far they haven't been moved by anything else, not even to go to the places where sightings were signaled - in fact they always traveled away from it.

Money is the only stimuli that makes them move.

Then why did they not take Bennett's House and Pensions. They lowered their claim to punish him rather than enrich themselves.
I

icabodcrane

« Reply #1055 on: November 28, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
In Portuguese law, as in English, truth is an absolute defence.

In English law, implicit untruth can be libel as well as explicit.

I don't know about Portuguese law.

But this statement of Amaral's from his book is actually contradicted by what Amaral himself says before in the same section, and is certainly not true, as we know having seen the video ourselves:

Eddie did not hesitate for a moment. He was only interested in the McCanns' automobile. No other attracted his attention

Goncalo Amaral,

I don't know the detail of the incident you have brought up,   but it is an example of what has been totally absent in this trial  ...   direct rebuttal of the claims Amaral made in his book,  proving them false  ( libellous  ) 

It is what I thought would be happening in this trial  ...  the McCanns  'proving'  that Amaral lied

They have not

The entire case has been about how much damage the McCanns  suffered as a result  of Amaral's   book  ...  but with no protestation made,  or proof offered,  that he lied about anything

ferryman

« Reply #1056 on: November 28, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
It might be in the LC files. After all it was an idea of the British, wasn't it ?
There's evidence in the files that some files aren't there and I'm not thinking of the paedo-files.
Watching the documentary, actually hearing it because the public could only see the back of the screen, I noticed that GA speaks of that episode. I don't think he would do that if there was nothing to support it.

The notion that Jane Tanner pointed the finger at Murat was never an idea of the British, no ...

ferryman

« Reply #1057 on: November 28, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
I don't know the detail of the incident you have brought up,   but it is an example of what has been totally absent in this trial  ...   direct rebuttal of the claims Amaral made in his book,  proving them false  ( libellous  ) 

It is what I thought would be happening in this trial  ...  the McCanns  'proving'  that Amaral lied

They have not

The entire case has been about how much damage the McCanns  suffered as a result  of Amaral's   book  ...  but with no protestation made,  or proof offered,  that he lied about anything

I reckon proceedings in open court is just the tip of the trial ...

Offline Rogerandout

• Upholder of Verifiable Scientific Truth
« Reply #1058 on: November 28, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »

They have not

As I have said before, we have no knowledge of the written submissions. Nor of the Judge's own investigations.
I

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1059 on: November 28, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »
The notion that Jane Tanner pointed the finger at Murat was never an idea of the British, no ...
Please don't twist, Ferryman ! Nobody says as well that Mrs Oldfield and Payne and Mr O'Brien pointing the finger at Murat and confirming it two months after was an idea of the British...

Offline Benice

« Reply #1060 on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
So far they haven't been moved by anything else, not even to go to the places where sightings were signaled - in fact they always traveled away from it.

I disagree.   Although I can understand the McCanns not wanting Amaral to make a single penny on the back of their little girl - I think they just want him to stop spreading lies about them and about what happened to their daughter. 

They are not poverty stricken and can live a very comfortable lifestyle on Gerry's salary as a Heart Consultant.  If they were mad for money it would have shown by now - but no-one can come up with any evidence that a luxurious, expensive lifestyle is something they crave.    In fact quite the opposite seems to be the case.   

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

ferryman

« Reply #1061 on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Please don't twist, Ferryman ! Nobody says as well that Mrs Oldfield and Payne and Mr O'Brien pointing the finger at Murat and confirming it two months after was an idea of the British...

I am twisting nothing.

Jane Tanner did not point a finger at Murat.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1062 on: November 28, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »

I wouldn't say so. I think this is mainly Mrs Duarte's objective. She lost the ban of the book, what can she win now apart from a substantial compensation ? I feel it's more her case than the McCann's one. The McCanns must have understood that winning the money that was asked will do no good to their already compromised popularity.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1063 on: November 28, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
I am twisting nothing.

Jane Tanner did not point a finger at Murat.
How do you know ? And have you forgotten already what you wrote earlier ?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1064 on: November 28, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

They are not poverty stricken and can live a very comfortable lifestyle on Gerry's salary as a Heart Consultant.
How do you know that ? Have you some knowledge about Mr McCann's salary ?