Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412175 times)

ferryman

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1080 on: November 28, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
That's the way Appeals courts work. BTW, the hearing when the judge decided to implement the injunction on the book and the freezing of Gonçalo Amaral's assets as well as denying him his freedom of expression was carried out in total secrecy by the plaintiffs. The defendents, Gonçalo Amaral, TVI, Valentim de Carvalho and Guerra & Paz, were unaware of what was going on and were caught by surprise, with no possibility of presenting any arguments in their defense at that time.

I don't dispute that's the way they work.

I point out that the way they work is sub-optimal in the quest for justice.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1081 on: November 28, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
Well I will have to warn my Professors that all they taught me is rubbish, according to some internet experts on portuguese law.

By the way, one of my Professors was someone you know, the ex-minister that appeared in a TV documentary about this case: http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/11/cmtv-maddie-case-special-and-rua-segura.html

I love to be called ignorant by persons that never worked in the system, as I have, for much  more than a decade.

The right of freedom of expression is not unrestrained - and anyone who argues to the contrary betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the law.  Whether this through ignorance or malice I cannot tell.

It seems you didn't understand what you were taught...you are also the only person who believes that Amaral was cleared...thats why I say you don't have a clue

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1082 on: November 28, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
Why does that make you laugh?
Isn't that clear ?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1083 on: November 28, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Not in the UK. Doctors had their mouths stuffed with gold. Gerry's salary would be in the top 10%.
In France a NHS heart consultant earns 84.000 €, gross.

Offline Rogerandout

• Upholder of Verifiable Scientific Truth
« Reply #1084 on: November 28, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
In France a NHS heart consultant earns 84.000 €, gross.

After his ten or so years he will be at the top of his scale_ £101,451. He is likely to have at least another 20k from clinical excellence awards which all consultants normally get.
I

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1085 on: November 28, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »
After his ten or so years he will be at the top of his scale_ £101,451. He is likely to have at least another 20k from clinical excellence awards which all consultants normally get.
A private consultant earns this. A heart surgeon earns much more (high insurance).
A NHS heart consultant earns 84.000 gross at the top of his/her career. Awards only if he/she publishes (articles).

Offline Rogerandout

« Reply #1086 on: November 28, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
A private consultant earns this. A heart surgeon earns much more (high insurance).
A NHS heart consultant earns 84.000 gross at the top of his/her career. Awards only if he/she publishes (articles).

But Gerry McCann works in the UK and earns about 120k.
I

Cariad

« Reply #1087 on: November 28, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »

He's also supporting a family of 4 plus paying uni debts for two. 120k isn't rich any more.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1088 on: November 28, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
It's a missing child case. Considerations for everyone else, including the family, are secondary. By September they had not a single clue pointing elsewhere, so you blame the police for thinking the unthinkable? It would be the same in any country: they are the police and it's their job to make decisions that might be unpalatable for members of the public - because they're thinking about what happened to the child, not about what happens to the child's family.
Absolutely !

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1089 on: November 28, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
How much earns a private consultant then ? One who has to be excellent to have clients ?

Offline Rogerandout

« Reply #1090 on: November 28, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
He's also supporting a family of 4 plus paying uni debts for two. 120k isn't rich any more.

At his age he will have no uni debts to speak of. Average wage for a family of four is about 30k, he is on four times that.

120k is in the top 10%.
I

Offline Rogerandout

« Reply #1091 on: November 28, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
How much earns a private consultant then ? One who has to be excellent to have clients ?

No idea. But he used to do private work prior to 2007 in addition to his NHS salary.
I

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1092 on: November 28, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
Thanks John

So a trial that was originally set  to last three weeks goes into the fifth month !
I asked the defence lawyers whether it was normal and they said yes... They also said that criminal trials last even more.. years... This is contra productive.

Cariad

« Reply #1093 on: November 28, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
At his age he will have no uni debts to speak of. Average wage for a family of four is about 30k, he is on four times that.

120k is in the top 10%.

30K for a family of 4? Add another 12k and you're closer. The average wage is in the region of 22k, mostly you have two parents working.

Two sets of uni debts add up to one hell of a lot of money, especially if you have to fund your own living arrangements. Neither came from well off families so probably didn't have financial support. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they'd been paying off uni debts into their late 30's at least. add on mortgage payments, debts from IVF etc...

They weren't living the high life in 2007 when they were both working. Their holiday was a very average, out of season week in Portugal. That isn't the life style of someone who does not have to consider money.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1094 on: November 28, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »
Another huge blow for the defence, losing their criminal psychologist. Oh dear o dear.
Don't you understand that the lawyer who called him finally desisted ?