Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412177 times)

Offline Luz

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1155 on: December 02, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
At the time it was the only way that the McCanns could advance the search for Madeleine but now SY are involved and they have effectivlely cleared the MCCanns, the LC files are of no importance

Effectively cleared?!!!!!!!

But the Portuguese haven't, and the disappearance of the little girl's case is still a Portuguese case!

Offline Rogerandout

• Upholder of Verifiable Scientific Truth
« Reply #1156 on: December 02, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »

But the Portuguese haven't, and the disappearance of the little girl's case is still a Portuguese case!

In which they are still presumed innocent.
I

Offline jassi

« Reply #1157 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
In which they are still presumed innocent.

Everybody is presumed innocent until convicted, whether they are actually guilty or not.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1158 on: December 02, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
The impossibility of knowing whether the McCanns were involved or not is the direct cause of the interest of the public, now that everybody understands that the little girl is either dead or alive and well. This interest is the best way to keep Madeleine in high profile, sort of second life and main ambition of her parents.

Offline Rogerandout

• Upholder of Verifiable Scientific Truth
« Reply #1159 on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
Everybody is presumed innocent until convicted, whether they are actually guilty or not.

Correct.
I

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1160 on: December 02, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

they have been released from arguido status and told that there is no evidence they committed any crime...SY have said they are not suspects ...as far as I am concerned they have been cleared of any involvement in the crime.
Do you have any evidence from Portugal that they are still under suspicion...no

ferryman

« Reply #1161 on: December 02, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
At the time it was the only way that the McCanns could advance the search for Madeleine but now SY are involved and they have effectivlely cleared the MCCanns, the LC files are of no importance

Stuart Prior's statement would certainly be of interest.

I'm inclined to think it might have been withheld (at least in part) to spare Amaral's blushes on his claim that he corrected Prior on interpretation of the forensic results, then ordered Prior to ring the FSS to berate them on the subject of the PJ's powers of arrest.

I could be wrong ...

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1162 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
Since when does the police say what the truth is ? This is strictly the job of Justice.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1163 on: December 02, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »

Yes strangely i thought the case was a Portuguese case too, nothing to do with Scotland Yard. They are only going over the details to see if anything was missed.

I find it hard to swallow all this tax payers money being used for this, when old people in the UK cant afford to pay their gas and electric bills........

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1164 on: December 02, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Since when does the police say what the truth is ? This is strictly the job of Justice.

Refer to Amaral.  He's cornered the market on that one.

Lyall

« Reply #1165 on: December 02, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
He tells you in the book V.

stephen25000

« Reply #1166 on: December 02, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
So why did Amaral come up with ' A verdade da mentira'?   What compelling reason drove him to do it?     And the truth about what lie?.   And this from a man with a conviction for lying?

So Mr. 'Splendour of truth',

what makes you think Amaral got it wrong in this case, in terms of Madeleine's fate ?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1167 on: December 02, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

So Mr. 'Splendour of truth',

what makes you think Amaral got it wrong in this case, in terms of Madeleine's fate ?

Quote from Anne Guedes.  "This is strictly the job of Justice."  And I agree with her.

Lyall

« Reply #1168 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
Quote from Anne Guedes.  "This is strictly the job of Justice."  And I agree with her.

Justice for whom though?

Lyall

« Reply #1169 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
For obvious reasons it's a tricky case, Eleanor.