Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412087 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1170 on: December 02, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »
For obvious reasons it's a tricky case, Eleanor.

Goncalo Amaral doesn't seem to think so.  But then it isn't his place to decide.  This is why he should never have written his book.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1171 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Goncalo Amaral doesn't seem to think so.  But then it isn't his place to decide.  This is why he should never have written his book.

If Kate McCann can write her "version" of the truth, why can't Gonçalo Amaral write about the facts of the investigation? BTW, two other books were written about the case before it had even been shelved and the McCanns did nothing about it; probably because the authors did not make enough money to make suing them worthwhile.

Lyall

« Reply #1172 on: December 02, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

Shouldn't have written in 2008, or not at all?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1173 on: December 02, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
If Kate McCann can write her "version" of the truth, why can't Gonçalo Amaral write about the facts of the investigation? BTW, two other books were written about the case before it had even been shelved and the McCanns did nothing about it; probably because the authors did not make enough money to make suing them worthwhile.

I think the other authors were careful not to make libellous statements wheras amaral was not so careful
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:55:27 PM by davel »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1174 on: December 02, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »

If you can't tell the difference then you have a problem that I can't help you with.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1175 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »

I repeat the full quote from Anne Guedes which I entirely agree with.

"Since when does the police say what the truth is ? This is strictly the job of Justice."

Lyall

« Reply #1176 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
I repeat the full quote from Anne Guedes which I entirely agree with.

"Since when does the police say what the truth is ? This is strictly the job of Justice."

When the book was published he wasn't a policeman. Thus he had as much right to write about the case as anyone, and everyone does have that right.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1177 on: December 02, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
When the book was published he wasn't a policeman. Thus he had as much right to write about the case as anyone, and everyone does have that right.

We shall see, of course.

Lyall

« Reply #1178 on: December 02, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
We shall see, of course.

That's not what the case is about. Everyone does have that right. Trust me.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1179 on: December 02, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
That's not what the case is about. Everyone does have that right. Trust me.

Not what the case is about?  So what is it about?

Lyall

« Reply #1180 on: December 02, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Not what the case is about?  So what is it about?

Just about that particular book. It's not at all about the public interest in wishing to establish what happened to Madeleine.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1181 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Just about that particular book. It's not at all about the public interest in wishing to establish what happened to Madeleine.

Exactly.  Amaral's right to decide what happened.

Lyall

« Reply #1182 on: December 02, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »
Exactly.  Amaral's right to decide what happened.

It's just his opinion, and whatever happens in that courtroom it has no impact at all on the right of other people to write about the case.

Though obviously there are restraints on what you can write, especially in the UK.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1183 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
It's just his opinion, and whatever happens in that courtroom it has no impact at all on the right of other people to write about the case.

Though obviously there are restraints on what you can write, especially in the UK.

Something that Amaral failed to do.  Which is the whole point.

But as I said, we shall see.

Lyall

« Reply #1184 on: December 02, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »
Something that Amaral failed to do.  Which is the whole point.

But as I said, we shall see.

But it isn't the whole point, except perhaps to a few. The rest of us know the proceedings are only relevant to that book, and the film based on it. Other books may avoid the same fate.