Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412208 times)

ferryman

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1245 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Presumably because to do so would have been a pre-judgement of the case without hearing any of the evidence.

Logically it has to be something like that.

In England, that certainly would have scuppered Amaral's defence, but the two systems are very different, I know ...

Offline John

« Reply #1246 on: January 03, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
Reminder to all members to abide by the forum rules.  A certain amount of freedom has been allowed over the festive period but this is not a licence to break the rules.

Please treat others members with respect when replying to posts.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1247 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
There is one thing I would love to know, and Jean-Pierre would probably be best qualified to answer.

At the outset, Snr Santos pleaded with the court to let proceedings be in camera to protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive.

Considering that Amaral is defending the right, not merely to say Madeleine is dead, but that Kate and Gerry caused her death, know she is dead, covered up the fact of her death, and launched a fraudulent "appeal" in Madeleine's name, why did not that astonishing request lead to an instant collapse of Amaral's defence?

Is he covered by Tavares de Amaral's interim report?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1248 on: January 03, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
There is one thing I would love to know, and Jean-Pierre would probably be best qualified to answer.

At the outset, Snr Santos pleaded with the court to let proceedings be in camera to protect Madeleine lest Madeleine be alive.

Considering that Amaral is defending the right, not merely to say Madeleine is dead, but that Kate and Gerry caused her death, know she is dead, covered up the fact of her death, and launched a fraudulent "appeal" in Madeleine's name, why did not that astonishing request lead to an instant collapse of Amaral's defence?

perhaps amarals lawyer hadn't thought things through

@)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

stephen25000

« Reply #1249 on: January 03, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »
perhaps amarals lawyer hadn't thought things through

@)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*
>@@(*&)

Don't count your chickens yet.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1250 on: January 03, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
It wont really make a lot of difference to the McCanns if they lose...they have been as good as cleared now and no one really takes any notice of amaral with the papers calling him a disgraced cop. I amaral lose its a diffrent story.....

Offline John

« Reply #1251 on: January 03, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
It wont really make a lot of difference to the McCanns if they lose...they have been as good as cleared now and no one really takes any notice of amaral with the papers calling him a disgraced cop. I amaral lose its a diffrent story.....

In what way have they been 'cleared'?  I don't recall Madeleine being found or even seen since 2007?

As far as the libel trial is concerned, if they lose again in Portugal the consequences for them could be far reaching as is an European Arrest Warrant.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:58:54 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1252 on: January 03, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
In what way have they been 'cleared'?  I don't recall Madeleine being found or even seen since 2007?

The ag report say there was no evidence of any crime committed by them and SY say they are not suspects..thats cleared enough for me ..

Offline John

« Reply #1253 on: January 03, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
The ag report say there was no evidence of any crime committed by them and SY say they are not suspects..thats cleared enough for me ..

Are you reading the same AG Report as everyone else Dave?  The crime just like the perpetrator(s) are unknown.  Stating that someone is not a suspect is a very long way from stating they are innocent but then you know that don't you?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:03:39 PM by John »

Offline Benice

« Reply #1254 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »

If the McCanns don't win the 'libel' side of the case - then the little bit of faith I have in the PT legal system will vanish completely.     However, I don't see how anyone can quantify the damage his book has done to the search for Madeleine and so won't be surprised if that part fails.

I agree the McCann won't be overly concerned now that the case has been re-opened - particularly about compensation.  It's clear to me that their only problem was with Amaral being able to live the high life on money made out of their little girl.    That's really rubbing salt into their wounds and I would feel exactly the same.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1255 on: January 03, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

As far as the libel trial is concerned, if they lose again in Portugal the consequences for them could be far reaching as is an European Arrest Warrant.

Can you elaborate on this John?

If this is indeed a risk, it begs once more the question of why on earth they embarked on this trial.

Redblossom

« Reply #1256 on: January 03, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
I don' think one can second guess the judge's reasons. Suffice it to say that their input is not consider3ed relevant.

Maybe she wasnt too impressed with past antics?

Just a thought..I mean if Trish Cameron turned up and trial was postponed nothing stopped her giving witness testimony...why was it different for GM? Why make such a big hoohah about it......when he was not following court protocols but just strutting in

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/27/madeleine-mccann-father-gerry-goncalo-amaral-libel-trial

http://news.sky.com/story/1147315/madeleine-mccann-gerrys-evidence-stalled

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-09-27/gerry-madeleine-mccann-portugal-libel-trial/

BUT......

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-was-gerry-mccann-in-portugal.html

Seems he just flew out expecting to be able to give evidence at the drop of a hat......never did go back or his lawyer request he be admitted as a witness since sept 2013

They eventually requested to give some statement......the cynic in me says he didnt want to be cross examined.....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:34:48 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1257 on: January 03, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
Can you elaborate on this John?

If this is indeed a risk, it begs once more the question of why on earth they embarked on this trial.

there is only john saying it is a risk and Im afraid he seems to be getting carried away. An arrest warrant requires evidence and would happen with or without a libel trail

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1258 on: January 03, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
Oh they are deffo guilty.  Its just a matter of what??

only in your imagination

Offline jassi

« Reply #1259 on: January 03, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
Oh they are deffo guilty.  Its just a matter of what??  If Amaral wins and there is no reason why he shouldn't I can see another book and a film on the horizon.

@)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future