Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412113 times)

Lyall

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1695 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »
but you arte making it up...since when is it  a policemans job to write a book about an ongoing case. don't forget he was sacked from the case by his superiors

He has every right to do what he wishes, but I think you give the book too much credit - it's just a book, one book, and the whole of the rest of the world was free to write books disputing/ridiculing/disproving his: it isn't his fault nobody did.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1696 on: January 11, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
He was removed from the case for criticizing the UK police who were interfering with the investigation.

As to who writes a book................as a result of what happened, i.e. her and her husbands neglect.

Like I said, you could not make this up.

km wrote a book, quite narcissistic and then some,

just to repeat...amaral is not being sued for just doing his job..try telling the truth

Offline John

« Reply #1697 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »
The judge is only obliged to inform the lawyers. Those who want to attend do so at their risk. I believe that the decision was made on Monday when Isabel Duarte made her request for a postponement.

It seems to me that non Portuguese nationals who have every right to attend this trial are being prevented from doing so by the way in which it is being conducted.  Notifications of postponements should be given at least a week beforehand and not the day before the hearing.  Do you happen to know what the rules are relating to this Montclair?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:49:35 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Redblossom

« Reply #1698 on: February 23, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
<snip>

and the trial of that same former investigator accused of libel by the McCanns comes to its conclusion in Lisbon on Tuesday

<snip>

The closing statements and judge’s verdict on the case are due this week in Lisbon.

<snip>

The Lisbon libel trial of Goncalo Amaral has been such a catalyst, and its conclusion this week will drive the disappearance of Madeleine McCann back up the UK and Portuguese media and public agendas.

http://theconversation.com/the-mediatisation-of-madeleine-mccann-23563
dated 23/2/14

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:20:16 AM by Redblossom »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1699 on: February 23, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
<snip>

and the trial of that same former investigator accused of libel by the McCanns comes to its conclusion in Lisbon on Tuesday

<snip>

The closing statements and judge’s verdict on the case are due this week in Lisbon.

<snip>

The Lisbon libel trial of Goncalo Amaral has been such a catalyst, and its conclusion this week will drive the disappearance of Madeleine McCann back up the UK and Portuguese media and public agendas.

http://theconversation.com/the-mediatisation-of-madeleine-mccann-23563
dated 23/2/14

Hopefully we will have a decision in the near future...it will be interesting to see what effect the decision hason our discussions. Some posters have said the trail is going badly for the McCanns...we will be able to see how good their judgement really is.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1700 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »

Try as I have to look at this whole thing objectively, in the light of Free Speech, I simply cannot see how Amaral can win.  He has committed Libel and to rule otherwise will create massive fall out.  Everyone in Portugal would become fair game.
This is not a political opinion on my part.  There are two parts to The Constitution on Free Speech, the second of which some people see fit to ignore.  The fact that it is written secondly does not make it any less important than the first part.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1701 on: February 23, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »
Try as I have to look at this whole thing objectively, in the light of Free Speech, I simply cannot see how Amaral can win.  He has committed Libel and to rule otherwise will create massive fall out.  Everyone in Portugal would become fair game.
This is not a political opinion on my part.  There are two parts to The Constitution on Free Speech, the second of which some people see fit to ignore.  The fact that it is written secondly does not make it any less important than the first part.

At the moment, that is merely an opinion. If it were otherwise, then there wouldn't be a case before the courts.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1702 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
At the moment, that is merely an opinion. If it were otherwise, then there wouldn't be a case before the courts.

That statement doesn't make sense.  Amaral has made accusations against The McCanns that he cannot prove.  And he wasn't going to stop simply because The McCanns asked him to.  So of course it had to go to Court.  The question is only,
"Does anyone in Portugal have the right to print and record Libel?"
I don't know the answer to that.  But if it decided that he does then I shudder to think what will be printed about Amaral in Portugal.  Believe me, there are many people only too ready to print "Libellous Opinions" about him.  Many of which have far more credibility than anything he has had to say about The McCanns.

Offline Admin

« Reply #1703 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »

Please be specific Eleanor.  In your opinion,  how has Mr Amaral committed a libel?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1704 on: February 23, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
That statement doesn't make sense.  Amaral has made accusations against The McCanns that he cannot prove.  And he wasn't going to stop simply because The McCanns asked him to.  So of course it had to go to Court.  The question is only,
"Does anyone in Portugal have the right to print and record Libel?"
I don't know the answer to that.  But if it decided that he does then I shudder to think what will be printed about Amaral in Portugal.  Believe me, there are many people only too ready to print "Libellous Opinions" about him.  Many of which have far more credibility than anything he has had to say about The McCanns.

its actually a little more than that. He has accused them of a criminal act..as I understand in most US states this would also be deemed libellous.It depends on Portuguese libel law which none of us really understand but the fact that Murat won his case against CDM gives me hope

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1705 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
In what manner of hope?

in his book and in interviews amaral has said that Maddie died in the apt and the McCanns covered up her death and staged an abduction...that...by uk defn is libel...hope in as much as the mccannns are awarded damages and amaral is found guilty of libel

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1706 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »
Please be specific Eleanor.  In your opinion,  how has Mr Amaral committed a libel?

He stated that Madeleine died in the appartment and that The McCanns disposed of her body twice, after secondly moving her corpse in their hire car some three weeks later.  None of which he has any proof.  There is more but that will do for now.
It's all a matter of proof you see.

Offline Admin

« Reply #1707 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
in his book and in interviews amaral has said that Maddie died in the apt and the McCanns covered up her death and staged an abduction...that...by uk defn is libel...hope in as much as the mccannns are awarded damages and amaral is found guilty of libel

Did he not state that the official police evidence pointed to this scenario?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1708 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
Did he not state that the official police evidence pointed to this scenario?

The Official Police Evidence is only an opinion.  And The Official Police Evidence did not write his book or give interviews on television or in The Media.
The Attorney General discarded this Official Evidence.

Offline Admin

« Reply #1709 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
The Official Police Evidence is only an opinion.  And The Official Police Evidence did not write his book or give interviews on television or in The Media.
The Attorney General discarded this Official Evidence.

He didn't discard it Eleanor, he archived it pending receipt of further evidence