Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412083 times)

Offline jassi

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1755 on: February 23, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »
I think you will find amaral said a lot more than that

I suppose it will all depend upon what is considered relevant within the scope of the trial.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1756 on: February 23, 2014, 07:10:44 PM »
I suppose it will all depend upon what is considered relevant within the scope of the trial.

as no one seems to understand Portuguese law ..who knows. But the fact that Murat was successful gives me hope.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1757 on: February 23, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
mrs Oldfield called a journalist she knew in spite of the police asking not to involve the media.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1758 on: February 23, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
mrs Oldfield called a journalist she knew in spite of the police asking not to involve the media.

perhaps Mrs Oldfield thought the police didn't know what they were doing...

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1759 on: February 23, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
The best outcome would be Madeleine turning out to be alive.  8**8:/:

Offline Benice

« Reply #1760 on: February 23, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
Here's another fabrication from his book:-

With amazement the police officers discover a series of books and manuals exclusively intended for police services and government agencies.
UNQUOTE

Where is the corroboration for that untrue statement in the files?   Any member of the public has access to those books and manuals.   There is nothing to be ''amazed'' about them at all.    So what is he trying to infer?
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Benice

« Reply #1761 on: February 23, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »
Stricto senso, Mrs Oldfield contacted a BBC journalist friend in the middle of the night.

Which is a long time after the police had been informed - so that accusation in his book is a false one.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1762 on: February 23, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
What I meant is that it's not sufficient to say the truth (whether it is the truth or what you think is true), the motivation behind is crucial.

But to clarify in the case of libel (an untrue, harmful statement), there normally has to be proof of intent to harm, or at least it should be self-evident that in issuing the statement, harm would be caused.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1763 on: February 23, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
But to clarify in the case of libel (an untrue, harmful statement), there normally has to be proof of intent to harm, or at least it should be self-evident that in issuing the statement, harm would be caused.
The conformity of the book isn't in question now. Only the impact on the McCanns.
They have to prove they have suffered because of the book and that the investigation (their) was hampered.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1764 on: February 23, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
The conformity of the book isn't in question now. Only the impact on the McCanns.
They have to prove they have suffered because of the book and that the investigation (their) was hampered.

Yes, that's it.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1765 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »
What a terrible position for a parent to find themselves in.
They say they suffer because the family isn't complete. As parents whose child  unfortunately died.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1766 on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »
They say they suffer because the family isn't complete. As parents whose child  unfortunately died.
]

They mean incomplete in the sense that Madeleine is not there - not that she is necessarily dead.

Remember we just mentioned above that they maintained the idea that she was alive, even though this would probably entail terrible things.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1767 on: February 23, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

what about defamation

Offline John

« Reply #1768 on: February 24, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
Contrary to what was reported previously, the judge has not yet set a date for the next hearing.  The reason for this appears to be that both sides have asked for clarification of several matters from the judge.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #1769 on: February 24, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »

QUOTE from Amarals book:-

It seems that the McCanns' friends have reported Maddie's disappearance to the press before informing the police about it
UNQUOTE

That is in fact true.  Both the tapas-9 friend and the family member who contacted the BBC and Sky News did not contact the police beforehand, that responsibility was left to AN Other.

The comment should not be taken to mean that the Press were contacted before the police.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:34:59 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.