Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412182 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1875 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
I suspect it's only a matter of time before the twins themselves are the subject of spiteful posts like the ones above - if and when they ever make a public statement of love, admiration and support for their parents.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1876 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Something they will have to live with. Their parents courted publicity and have become notorious as a consequence.

if the mcanns had not gone after ga they wouldnt have to hear about it

Offline jassi

« Reply #1877 on: July 08, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
if the mcanns had not gone after ga they wouldnt have to hear about it

Probably not.  Life is full of bad decisions that come back and bite you on the bum.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #1878 on: July 09, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
Report from the Palácio de Justiça
by Joana Morais
8th of July 2014

Intervenient parts
Judge Maria Emília de Melo e Castro presiding the trial
Dr. Miguel Rodrigues for Gonçalo Amaral, the book author
Dr. Fátima de Oliveira Esteves for Guerra e Paz, the book publishers of ‘Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira’
Dr Miguel Coroadinha for TVI, the Portuguese TV channel that broadcast the documentary ‘Maddie, What lies beneath the Truth’
Dr. Henrique Costa Pinto for Valentim de Carvalho Filmes who produced the documentary and DVD copies with the same documentary that were never sold
Dr. Isabel Duarte for the McCann couple and their children, the claimants

What follows is the recount of what happened yesterday at court, to the best of my knowledge and short handwritten notes.

The Judge at beginning of hearing sessions spoke and instructed the scribe about the request that had been made by Gonçalo Amaral’s previous lawyer so the defendant could be heard in court. That request was opposed by the McCann couple’s lawyer, Isabel Duarte, and had been previously denied by the Judge in 2013.

The McCann couple, who had also requested to be heard in court, saw their application being refused as well. Yet they pleaded against that decision to the Appeals court and their request was granted, therefore they were now authorized to be heard in court, which is what takes place after this “introductory” instruction by the lady Judge, Maria Emília de Melo e Castro.

The Judge then added that since Gonçalo Amaral’s former lawyer did not oppose to the ruling - which refused his request to be heard - a new appeal opposing the ruling could no longer be accepted, and therefore that decision had now become final.

The judge continues instructing the scribe and states that the authors of the lawsuit - the McCann couple - have requested the court to solicit an official application to ATA [Autoridade Tributária Aduaneira] i.e. the Portuguese equivalent to the IRS, in order to obtain confidential fiscal information.

The Judge authorized and ordered for the dispatch to be prepared “since it is essential to know, within the scope of the case being analysed here at the court, what are the eventual earnings” of the defendant Gonçalo Amaral regarding the sales of the book ‘Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira’.

The Judge then added that the court dismissed the need to observe the confidentiality of that fiscal information in view of the fact that “the acquirement of that evidence” is crucial and ruled that the other defendant parties have 10 days to oppose the McCann’s lawyer request.

Earlier on this year, the only defendant party opposing the McCann’s fiscal request was the lawyer for the Guerra e Paz book publishers who argued that this new application would cause an unnecessary lengthening of the trial.

Follows Kate Healy and Gerry McCann declarations to court in strict compliance to Portuguese law. A declaration is a series of answers to questions put by the Judge, and of questions from the accusation or/and defendant lawyers.

The couple decided to ask to make a further statement at the end of each declaration, these statements will not be considered and will have no reflection on the trial outcome even though they were recorded by the scribe.

ongoing

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2014/07/palacio-de-justica-8th-of-july-2014.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:23:35 AM by Mr Moderator »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1879 on: July 09, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Report from the Palácio de Justiça
by Joana Morais
8th of July 2014

Intervenient parts
Judge Maria Emília de Melo e Castro presiding the trial
Dr. Miguel Rodrigues for Gonçalo Amaral, the book author
Dr. Fátima de Oliveira Esteves for Guerra e Paz, the book publishers of ‘Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira’
Dr Miguel Coroadinha for TVI, the Portuguese TV channel that broadcast the documentary ‘Maddie, What lies beneath the Truth’
Dr. Henrique Costa Pinto for Valentim de Carvalho Filmes who produced the documentary and DVD copies with the same documentary that were never sold
Dr. Isabel Duarte for the McCann couple and their children, the claimants

What follows is the recount of what happened yesterday at court, to the best of my knowledge and short handwritten notes.

The Judge at beginning of hearing sessions spoke and instructed the scribe about the request that had been made by Gonçalo Amaral’s previous lawyer so the defendant could be heard in court. That request was opposed by the McCann couple’s lawyer, Isabel Duarte, and had been previously denied by the Judge in 2013.

The McCann couple, who had also requested to be heard in court, saw their application being refused as well. Yet they pleaded against that decision to the Appeals court and their request was granted, therefore they were now authorized to be heard in court, which is what takes place after this “introductory” instruction by the lady Judge, Maria Emília de Melo e Castro.

The Judge then added that since Gonçalo Amaral’s former lawyer did not oppose to the ruling - which refused his request to be heard - a new appeal opposing the ruling could no longer be accepted, and therefore that decision had now become final.

The judge continues instructing the scribe and states that the authors of the lawsuit - the McCann couple - have requested the court to solicit an official application to ATA [Autoridade Tributária Aduaneira] i.e. the Portuguese equivalent to the IRS, in order to obtain confidential fiscal information.

The Judge authorized and ordered for the dispatch to be prepared “since it is essential to know, within the scope of the case being analysed here at the court, what are the eventual earnings” of the defendant Gonçalo Amaral regarding the sales of the book ‘Maddie, A Verdade da Mentira’.

The Judge then added that the court dismissed the need to observe the confidentiality of that fiscal information in view of the fact that “the acquirement of that evidence” is crucial and ruled that the other defendant parties have 10 days to oppose the McCann’s lawyer request.

Earlier on this year, the only defendant party opposing the McCann’s fiscal request was the lawyer for the Guerra e Paz book publishers who argued that this new application would cause an unnecessary lengthening of the trial.

Follows Kate Healy and Gerry McCann declarations to court in strict compliance to Portuguese law. A declaration is a series of answers to questions put by the Judge, and of questions from the accusation or/and defendant lawyers.

The couple decided to ask to make a further statement at the end of each declaration, these statements will not be considered and will have no reflection on the trial outcome even though they were recorded by the scribe.

ongoing

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2014/07/palacio-de-justica-8th-of-july-2014.html

So a victim impact statement is allowed to be made in a Portuguese court and is recorded in the official court record but nobody takes a blind bit of notice of them.  Sounds judicious.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #1880 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
So a victim impact statement is allowed to be made in a Portuguese court and is recorded in the official court record but nobody takes a blind bit of notice of them.  Sounds judicious.

Shame, isn't it.

So irt would seem the Portuguese court system isn't as gullible as the mccanns thought.

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #1881 on: July 09, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
Lone Protester at McCann libel trial

A lone protester showed up outside the Palace of Justice in Lisbon yesterday as the McCann v Goncalo Amaral libel hearing concluded for yet another day.  The unidentified woman carried placards in support of former PJ inspector and coordinator Goncal Amaral.  In a voice trembling with emotion, Gerry McCanns referred to the placard-waving protester as he gave a short interview to press representatives gathered outside court.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1882 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Brietta

Dont forget, that is a Joana Morais write up.

Joana Morais, who Brietta linked to just the other day, that Joana Morais ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Admin

« Reply #1883 on: July 09, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Amaral lawyer has his say outside Court

Goncalo Amaral's new lawyer spoke to the gathered press for the first time yesterday.  Standing outside the Palace of Justice in Lisbon he spoke in Portuguese as he answered questions.

Goncal Amaral's new lawyer, Miguel Cruz Rodrigues.

"The McCann's have the support of society, of several public figures so this alleged social damage is not at all justified"

Article and Video Interviews

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:48:49 PM by Admin »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1884 on: July 09, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Then why link to her blog a few days ago ?

Does not make one blind bit of difference to my opinion that Joana Morais is a mine of disinformation and the source of many misconceptions regarding Madeleine’s case who has worked assiduously at flooding the web with her interpretation of events if I link to her.
Just as I have linked to quotes directly from Dr Amaral.

What is your problem?  I thought you were avid in your approval of both entities.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #1885 on: July 09, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
Erm... according to Martin Brunt's report and someone else's, when Gerry mentioned the dogs, the judge apparently pointed out that the trial was not about determining what had happened to Madeleine.

Unless written submissions disputing the content of his allegations are allowed (which isn't quite clear to me so far), the trial seems to have been about the alleged negative (defamatory) impact of whatever he has stated (true, false, hearsay, partially true/false) has had on the search for Madeleine and on the family as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:01:44 AM by John »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1886 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
Erm... according to Martin Brunt's report and someone else's, when Gerry mentioned the dogs, the judge apparently pointed out that the trial was not about determining what had happened to Madeleine.

Unless written submissions disputing the content of his allegations are allowed (which isn't quite clear to me so far), the trial seems to have been about the alleged negative (defamatory) impact of whatever he has stated (true, false, hearsay, partially true/false) has had on the search for Madeleine and on the family as a whole.

Yes, it basically says it isn't a Libel Trial.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1887 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
Does not make one blind bit of difference to my opinion that Joana Morais is a mine of disinformation and the source of many misconceptions regarding Madeleine’s case who has worked assiduously at flooding the web with her interpretation of events if I link to her.
Just as I have linked to quotes directly from Dr Amaral.

What is your problem?  I thought you were avid in your approval of both entities.

Well you seem to have thought wrong.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1888 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Yes, it basically says it isn't a Libel Trial.

defamation is libel...if it isnt a libel trial...what do you think it is...it strikes me the mccanns are so far ahead some posters are in total denial

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1889 on: July 09, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
defamation is libel...if it isnt a libel trial...what do you think it is...it strikes me the mccanns are so far ahead some posters are in total denial

From what I read, but with no confirmation, the judge told Gerry that the trial was not about the contents of the book but about its existence.