Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412139 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1935 on: July 11, 2014, 08:34:10 AM »
Damage to the search for Madeleine can only be said to have occurred if lies were told in the first place, do you not agree?

Damage to the search.

Yes, of that there is no doubt & they have proven the search has been damaged because Kate said that she heard that someone heard that some people in a coffee shop were talking about Maddie being dead.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1936 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
damages for what...if amaral told the truth there are no damages..if not it is libel..you are in denial

Have you not yet read the transcript of the judge's questions to Gerry McCann? Talk about denial! You will not even admit that you were wrong about the reason for the trial. The judge made it clear when she told Gerry that it was not about whether the book was true or not, but about offence to the plaintiffs. That is why the McCanns decided to go to a civil court because that way they would not have had to prove that Gonçalo Amaral wrote lies.

stephen25000

« Reply #1937 on: July 11, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
Damage to the search.

Yes, of that there is no doubt & they have proven the search has been damaged because Kate said that she heard that someone heard that some people in a coffee shop were talking about Maddie being dead.

I know it's terrible that people can make up their own minds about what they think happened, and it's got nothing to do with Amaral.

..but harm the 'search', the very thing that pair did, on a brief stroll on the beach the following morning.

You could not make it up.

ferryman

« Reply #1938 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
Good question.

it seems like pure desperation.

That he was not alerting to Madeleine's blood ...

stephen25000

« Reply #1939 on: July 11, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
That he was not alerting to Madeleine's blood ...

You don't know that ferryman, do you ? 8((()*/

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1940 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Have you not yet read the transcript of the judge's questions to Gerry McCann? Talk about denial! You will not even admit that you were wrong about the reason for the trial. The judge made it clear when she told Gerry that it was not about whether the book was true or not, but about offence to the plaintiffs. That is why the McCanns decided to go to a civil court because that way they would not have had to prove that Gonçalo Amaral wrote lies.

Thank you for confirming that the mccanns do not have to prove anything ...I have been saying this for the past year...amaral is toast...the only decision the judge has to make is how much compensation he pays

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1941 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
So the judge made it clear that the mccanns do not have to show that anything in amarals book is wrong. they just have to quantify how much damage the book has done to them and their family so taht the judge can quantify the damages...does anyone need anymore proof that amaral has lost

The parents had to prove that they suffered offence and damages from the book but, it is obvious, that they failed. They were unable to prove that they suffered from depression, insomnia, etc. No medical proof whatsoever. There were three other books written about the case in Portugal and these books didn't bother the McCanns? Maybe the difference is that the other books didn't make as much money. The judge did ask Gerry McCann if he knew about the other books, so she must have done her homework.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1942 on: July 11, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
The parents had to prove that they suffered offence and damages from the book but, it is obvious, that they failed. They were unable to prove that they suffered from depression, insomnia, etc. No medical proof whatsoever. There were three other books written about the case in Portugal and these books didn't bother the McCanns? Maybe the difference is that the other books didn't make as much money. The judge did ask Gerry McCann if he knew about the other books, so she must have done her homework.

So you know what the judge has decided...it is obvious the book caused distress..it is the only book which accuses the mccanns directly...other books are no defence...then we have defamation...again obvious..

stay in denial...amaral has lost....compensation will be paid...lets see what excuses you post then

stephen25000

« Reply #1943 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »

Indeed she did.

...and I bet she will take into account the fact that kate mccann was quite prepared to write a book.

I shudder to think how her survuving chioldren will view her book and the hatred she shows, once they read it.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1944 on: July 11, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
Kate Healy

"We have people that monitor the internet"

@)(++(*

We'd never have guessed.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1945 on: July 11, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

The others may well have caused some damage as well. However, as far as I'm aware, the others did not have extensive pre- and post-publication coverage in the written press and on TV.

Neither were they written by the chief detective on the case (with the credence that that role implies) claiming that everything in it is the conclusion of his team and is in the files. Although some aspects are indeed in the - half-time - files, others aren't.

When it is made clear that he is only presenting the PJ's hypothesis up until he left, what was investigated after he left wasn't relevant as it was somehow part of a political coverup.

Few readers would take the time to actually wade through the files, as it's far easier to rely on an easy-to-read book and "documentary" by the lead detective.

Some aspects that are based on the files contain head-scratching errors of comprehension, but casual readers wouldn't realise that. Neither would they realise that a number of matters were later clarified by the rest of the files.

stephen25000

« Reply #1946 on: July 11, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
Kate Healy

"We have people that monitor the internet"

@)(++(*

We'd never have guessed.

..and they claim they are not worried about the internet.

Just as gerry mccann isn't worried about the dogs.

Woof woof, as Sandra might say. @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1947 on: July 11, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
So you know what the judge has decided...it is obvious the book caused distress..it is the only book which accuses the mccanns directly...other books are no defence...then we have defamation...again obvious..

stay in denial...amaral has lost....compensation will be paid...lets see what excuses you post then

No one knows what the judge is going to decide. The book might have annoyed them, made them angry but that is not severe distress or damage. They have failed miserably to prove that they have suffered irreparable damages or social destruction. Their witnesses only gave hearsay, no doctors to testify or medical certificates to prove their state of mind. Gerry even said to the press after the hearing that the twins were doing fine.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1948 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
No one knows what the judge is going to decide. The book might have annoyed them, made them angry but that is not severe distress or damage. They have failed miserably to prove that they have suffered irreparable damages or social destruction. Their witnesses only gave hearsay, no doctors to testify or medical certificates to prove their state of mind. Gerry even said to the press after the hearing that the twins were doing fine.

How can being accused of crimes, with the consequence that it was eroding support to help find their missing daughter, being fearful of some unhinged person carrying out their online threats, anxiety for the twins over spoutings by the ex-chief detective who was supposed to be looking for her NOT add to their suffering?

Why would a medical certificate be required to understand that?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1949 on: July 11, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
As I have said ... we have the benefit of being able to read the transcript which I imagine will mirror the official court report, and the original tweets from the court have been proved way off line and the result of wishful thinking as they bear no relation to what actually went on.

It is interesting that Dr Gerry McCann's testimony has been held up for particular censure.  Is that to deflect from the judge's intense questioning of Dr Kate McCann which in my opinion was extremely sympathetic.

Going on that sympathetic questioning I rather think the judge has a good idea of exactly what Dr McCann is going through and I hope the law allows her to find on that.

TBH I don't feel the judge displayed any feeling, either positive or negative, towards Kate but was merely seeking context with her questions.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?