Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412203 times)

Redblossom

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:23 AM »
Well you are entitled to your opinion Red, but it seems to me that their priorities are back to front and upside down on the legal front.      When witnesses are prevented from giving evidence through no fault of their own, i.e. the Judge doesn't turn up or for whatever reason - then surely it should go without saying that they will be allowed to have their say at some later date? 

BTW I am the last person in the world to be a conspiracy theorist. 

No one has been denied for ever more from having their say, maybe mrs healy cos the lawyer cocked up

Offline Benice

« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2013, 02:08:59 AM »
No one has been denied for ever more from having their say, maybe mrs healy cos the lawyer cocked up

It would appear Mrs Healy has.       It wasn't her fault she couldn't have her say, and IMO there is no valid reason why she should not automatically be allowed to do so at a later date in those circumstances.   It would appear that adhering to a timetable  and the technicalities of court procedure is more important than the actual case itself.     Unbelievable.     

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Redblossom

« Reply #392 on: October 03, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
It would appear Mrs Healy has.       It wasn't her fault she couldn't have her say, and IMO there is no valid reason why she should not automatically be allowed to do so at a later date in those circumstances.   It would appear that adhering to a timetable  and the technicalities of court procedure is more important than the actual case itself.     Unbelievable.   

have you not been reading? Duarte gave Mrs Healy up as a witness and or substituted Mr Mccann instead, then changed her mind and wanted Mrs Healy again but forgot to make an application to the court,to have her as a witness again, thats why she wasnt allowed to be heard today.....yes unbelievable, duartes incompetence is  more and more apparent, never mind, she never was that bright or honest...what with tryng  to withhold evidence on both the 2010 hearing and now and both times failing with the judge, screaming and ranting at witnesses and then coming out with nonsenses like there is proof madeleine is alive because there have been sightings of her! Honestly, never mind, gnite anyway
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:17:12 AM by Redblossom »

Offline Benice

« Reply #393 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:58 AM »
have you not been reading? Duarte gave Mrs Healy up as a witness and or substituted Mr Mccann instead, then changed her mind and wanted Mrs Healy again but forgot to make an application to the court,to have her as a witness again, thats why she wasnt allowed to be heard today.....yes unbelievable

But that's the whole point - i.e. A legal system where the fact that a technicality (ID's forgetfulness)  can actually prevent an important witness from taking the stand is wrong IMO and has lost sight of the reasons why they are all there in the first place.   

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #394 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:33 AM »
But that's the whole point - i.e. A legal system where the fact that a technicality (ID's forgetfulness)  can actually prevent an important witness from taking the stand is wrong IMO and has lost sight of the reasons why they are all there in the first place.   

Indeed, Benice.  And it seems no consideration has been given to the cost and inconvenience to the McCann witnesses of having to travel backwards and forwards from England.  Hearings that are strung out over only one or two days a week for several weeks seems absurd, then further delays caused by court personnel being unavailable add unnecessary travel expenses for the McCanns.
A

AnneGuedes

« Reply #395 on: October 03, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »

But everywhere it's easier to find a formal error than to judge on a delicate matter.
I felt sorry for Mrs Healy. Actually I felt sorry for all the McCann witnesses because I'm not sure this trial has been properly prepared and I doubt they've been informed of the content of the AG report. I've observed, amazed, the mistakes of a lawyer I suspect is more interested in her autopromotion than in working hard to win the case.

C.Edwards

« Reply #396 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Playing games with cites is effectively losing the argument.

Well that's you sunk without trace for the last 6 months or so then. Quick, shoot yourself in the other foot while it's not moving.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Before Amaral's witnesses take the stand you mean  ?

Could be

That's exactly what I mean Icabod.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
How could they do it though  ?  ...  I mean the photo Anne took outside the court was as innocent  as you get

Compare it with the guidance the McCanns give their supporters on the official website  :

If you think you see Madeleine

5 )   If possible,  discretely take video or photo evidence to be examined by police

How can Isabel Duarte object so vehemently about an innocuos photo taken outside the court room,  whilst supporting the  'search'  her clients have undertaken where the surreptitious videoing and photographing of  children is requested   ?

As we know through bitter experience Icabod this couple's hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #399 on: October 03, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
But everywhere it's easier to find a formal error than to judge on a delicate matter.
I felt sorry for Mrs Healy. Actually I felt sorry for all the McCann witnesses because I'm not sure this trial has been properly prepared and I doubt they've been informed of the content of the AG report. I've observed, amazed, the mistakes of a lawyer I suspect is more interested in her autopromotion than in working hard to win the case.

What makes you think that?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #400 on: October 03, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
What makes you think that?
Basic mistakes (Mrs Healy "lapsus", Mr Wright's document) in a high profile and high budget trial.

Offline John

« Reply #401 on: October 03, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Members please note:

This thread for the most part relates to the case itself and not to the distractions outside.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Lyall

« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
True... the stories about never giving up their search for their daughter and how much they regret and suffer for the choice they made in PDL -Yes I'd say those were true.

The rest are mostly anti guff.

I love that word guff ?>)()<

But would you say they actually felt 100 times worse than that because of a book? A spin too far I think.

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #403 on: October 03, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »
I love that word guff ?>)()<

But would you say they actually felt 100 times worse than that because of a book? A spin too far I think.

I like the word guff too -sums up most of the [ censored word]peak  @)(++(*

I think putting a number on it would be difficult. Easy to understand for most, the witness was trying to get across how badly it did affect the McCanns.

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #404 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
I don't know the detailed history of how many times Amaral has delayed the proceedings in the past.

Sick Lawyer, No Lawyer etc each time Trial delayed.

This latest one Judge suddenly leaving Court due to personal stuff...

Amarals Lawyer suddenly leaving due to personal stuff...

Witnesses for the McCanns not heard, then not allowed...including Gerry McCann.

How anyone can say his input isn't relevant is well quite shocking. If anyone knows how badly Amarals book affected the search and the family it would be him.

God knows what will happen next week.  >@@(*&)