Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412099 times)

Redblossom

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #405 on: October 03, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »
I don't know the detailed history of how many times Amaral has delayed the proceedings in the past.

Sick Lawyer, No Lawyer etc each time Trial delayed.

This latest one Judge suddenly leaving Court due to personal stuff...

Amarals Lawyer suddenly leaving due to personal stuff...

Witnesses for the McCanns not heard, then not allowed...including Gerry McCann.

How anyone can say his input isn't relevant is well quite shocking. If anyone knows how badly Amarals book affected the search and the family it would be him.

God knows what will happen next week.  >@@(*&)

Thats down to I Duarte (cock up) and or the law (no cock up)

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #406 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Thats down to I Duarte (cock up) and or the law (no cock up)

All Amarals delays/postponements are down to Ms.Duarte? You sure of that?

Cariad

« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
I don't know the detailed history of how many times Amaral has delayed the proceedings in the past.

How anyone can say his input isn't relevant is well quite shocking. If anyone knows how badly Amarals book affected the search and the family it would be him.

I hope he gets his say. My little bit of speculation is this: The judge was getting rather annoyed at Dr Mccann demanding to be heard with a days notice (which came across as quite arrogant to me) and took it out on Mrs Healy. It seems unreasonable to not allow her to be heard, considering how far she had to travel. It smacks a little of showing who's in control. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not terribly fair on Mrs Healy.

I wonder if she'd have been allowed to testify if the Gerry hadn't put in a last minute request?

Offline Montclair

« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »

So Gonçalo Amaral is responsible for the fact that Isabel Duarte committed a blunder? He is responsible for the fact that the judge had a personal matter to attend to? He is responsible for the fact that his lawyer's son was being operated? He is responsible for the fact that the trial was suspended, at the McCanns' request, in January this year? The judge will make her decision as to whether Gerry McCann and Gonçao Amaral will speak at the trial in accordance with the law. Also, Mrs. Healey will not be allowed to testify because Isabel Duarte did not respect the rules of the court. The same applies to Marinho e Pinto who did not comply with the 10 day limit to make known his decision to send a written statement instead of testifying. Now, he will have to testify. If you start ignoring the rules it's chaos and arbitrary, with different rules for the different parties.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:02:17 PM by Montclair »

Redblossom

« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
All Amarals delays/postponements are down to Ms.Duarte? You sure of that?

I replied to the part of your quoted post that I put on bold...talking about the here and now

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #410 on: October 03, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
I hope he gets his say. My little bit of speculation is this: The judge was getting rather annoyed at Dr Mccann demanding to be heard with a days notice (which came across as quite arrogant to me) and took it out on Mrs Healy. It seems unreasonable to not allow her to be heard, considering how far she had to travel. It smacks a little of showing who's in control. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not terribly fair on Mrs Healy.

I wonder if she'd have been allowed to testify if the Gerry hadn't put in a last minute request?

I don't think that I heard anyone saying Gerry McCann demanded anything of the sort.

Cariad

« Reply #411 on: October 03, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
I don't think that I heard anyone saying Gerry McCann demanded anything of the sort.

You're quite right. It was a request, not a demand. I stand corrected. Turning up was a little premature though. I'm sure he'd have been aware that there's a five day wait between a request and a decision.

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #412 on: October 03, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »
So Gonçalo Amaral is responsible for the fact that Isabel Duarte committed a blunder? He is responsible for the fact that the judge had a personal matter to attend to? He is responsible for the fact that his lawyer's son was being operated? He is responsible for the fact that the trial was suspended, at the McCanns' request, in January this year? The judge will make her decision as to whether Gerry McCann and Gonçao Amaral will speak at the trial in accordance with the law. Also, Mrs. Healey will not be allowed to testify because Isabel Duarte did not respect the rules of the court. The same applies to Marinho e Pinto who did not comply with the 10 day limit to make known his decision to send a written statement instead of testifying. Now, he will have to testify. If you start ignoring the rules it's chaos and arbitrary, with different rules for the different parties.
Agree everyone should stick to the same rules and be afforded the same courtesies.

Are you saying Amarals or his  Lawyers haven't had this case postponed in the past for various reasons ?

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #413 on: October 03, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
You're quite right. It was a request, not a demand. I stand corrected. Turning up was a little premature though. I'm sure he'd have been aware that there's a five day wait between a request and a decision.

Maybe he was hoping - we know how things change suddenly over there. Either way he was there supporting his sister and mother in law.

Redblossom

« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

Well put Montclair!

Cariad I think Mrs Healy, Kates mother was due to give evidence second day of the trial couple weeks ago when  it was stopped short at lunchtime when the judge had to attend to a personal matter... after that the Mccanns lawyer gave her up as a witness and also at the eleventh hour on September 26 requested Gerry Mccann to be a witness, something which couldnt happen for at least five days anyway, (so why Duarte was flying Gerry Mccann out ...twice....is anyones guess) then  seemingly changed her mind about Mrs Healy but forgot to reapply to thr court...so in both instances neither of them could have given evidence last Friday but in any case the court did not sit due to the medical emergency of Mr Amarals lawyer..Im not 100 per cent of this, someone more knowledgable may explain if its wrong
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:56:16 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Montclair

« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Delays and postponements happen all the time in court cases. There is nothing sinister about it. A few years ago, I was to be a witness on behalf of the company I worked for at the time. I went to the courthouse in Portimão with the other witnesses and lawyer and I never saw the inside of the courtroom. Twice it was postponed and the third time the two parties came to an agreement.

Offline Luz

« Reply #416 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
Maybe he was hoping - we know how things change suddenly over there. Either way he was there supporting his sister and mother in law.

8(>((

Cariad

« Reply #417 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »

He gave a press conference iirc saying he'd wanted to talk that day and was disappointed at not being heard. My opinion is that it seems a little on the arrogant side to assume you can just turn up and have your say without going through the correct process.

Having said that, I hope that he does get to have his say when the request is properly dealt with.

Offline BigFatBlonde

« Reply #418 on: October 03, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
But that's the whole point - i.e. A legal system where the fact that a technicality (ID's forgetfulness)  can actually prevent an important witness from taking the stand is wrong IMO and has lost sight of the reasons why they are all there in the first place.   

Whilst I can see your point, I think you need to consider things in a wider context. Courts in all developed countries have strict rules under which they operate. Sometimes their refusal to hear witnesses or allow evidence may seem petty or counterintuitive.

However, if they allow any deviation from the rules then where does it stop? Allowing one person to give evidence because of a 'simple mistake' would open the floodgates in all future trials with lawyers claiming that they had made the same 'simple mistake'.

I think someone mentioned it could be the court just proving that they were in charge of proceedings - and this is exactly what it is. Think of it like a sport - the rules are freely available and apply to everyone.

N

stephen25000

« Reply #419 on: October 04, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
it seems the judge will decide nest week whether both Amaral and mccann will be allowed to testify.

Well what's good for the goose....