Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 412171 times)

stephen25000

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
that goes for the anti's who don't support the parents of a missing child but they get away with it imo

8-)(--)

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
8-)(--)

keen to keep us quiet isnt she hehehe

Offline Victoria

« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

Is it any wonder, when the contents of both of your posts - the above two examples being quite typical - are so utterly worthless. What are you bringing to the debate, apart from childish remarks and abuse? Whatever your position on the case, or on the parents, could you at least try to engage with people in a constructive manner?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »

That was one of my points that some people seem to disregard as to the potential difficulties in interpreting during the chaos of the early statements at the PJ station.
Carana, a witness says "their grief was multiplied a hundred times", which is obviously a figure of speech since grief can't be quantitatively measured (this isn't true for physical pain), the interpreter can't find immediately the equivalent in Portuguese but translates without losing anything essential, for instance, "was terribly increased". The style of the speaker is partly lost, but not what s/he meant. Why don't you admit that ?
I'm not a professional translator, according to Chinagirl's criteria, but thanks to translations I did (and they were published), I'm aware of the mental mechanisms implied by the translating process. Actually it says much about the way your brain works.

Offline Carana

« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
Carana, a witness says "their grief was multiplied a hundred times", which is obviously a figure of speech since grief can't be quantitatively measured (this isn't true for physical pain), the interpreter can't find immediately the equivalent in Portuguese but translates without losing anything essential, for instance, "was terribly increased". The style of the speaker is partly lost, but not what s/he meant. Why don't you admit that ?
I'm not a professional translator, according to Chinagirl's criteria, but thanks to translations I did (and they were published), I'm aware of the mental mechanisms implied by the translating process. Actually it says much about the way your brain works.

Of course, I have no problem in accepting that accurate translation / interpretation is difficult. On the contrary, in fact.

Accents and colloquial expressions may have been very difficult for the interpreters doing their best to translate the initial statements.

Add to that witnesses who hadn't slept much, plus the chaos at the PJ station - and you have a recipe for misunderstandings.

My issue is that the potential for misunderstandings, particularly on 4 May, seems to be discounted.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:12:17 PM by Carana »

Benita

« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

oh do shut up with your whinging and how do you know im not a he silly girl take a pill an go lay down for bit
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:15:36 PM by Benita »

Benita

« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
yeah  i wont swear on here again i was having a bad  day yesterday  but i learnt my lesson

pmsl ;) jeepers ur acting like a naughty school girl

Offline jassi

« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »

pmsl ;) jeepers ur acting like a naughty school girl

You sound just like the class monitor  8**8:/:
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Benita

« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »
You sound just like the class monitor  8**8:/:

lol you sound like the dunce in the corner ;)

drummer

« Reply #474 on: October 06, 2013, 03:25:03 AM »

Henrique Machado evidence

The Judge asks whether the witness knew that Gonçalo Amaral had a thesis about the case.
HM – Yes. He says that this understanding was induced by the orientation of the investigation.

The Judge observes that the process had evolved (after GA was dismissed).
HM says it's normal that Gonçalo Amaral had a thesis.

The Judge remarks that it is based on Dr Amaral’s own experiences as Coordinator and not on the investigation as a whole. The investigation went on (after GA's dismissal). How could he know what was happening?
HM says he knew the McCanns were arguidos, that what was happening was public knowledge. He says he never had any contact with Gonçalo Amaral (before the interview).

The Judge tells him he can sit down.

Interesting statement by the Judge.

icabodcrane

« Reply #475 on: October 06, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »

Henrique Machado evidence

The Judge asks whether the witness knew that Gonçalo Amaral had a thesis about the case.
HM – Yes. He says that this understanding was induced by the orientation of the investigation.

The Judge observes that the process had evolved (after GA was dismissed).
HM says it's normal that Gonçalo Amaral had a thesis.

The Judge remarks that it is based on Dr Amaral’s own experiences as Coordinator and not on the investigation as a whole. The investigation went on (after GA's dismissal). How could he know what was happening?
HM says he knew the McCanns were arguidos, that what was happening was public knowledge. He says he never had any contact with Gonçalo Amaral (before the interview).

The Judge tells him he can sit down.

Interesting statement by the Judge.

In what way  'interesting'  ?

The judge posed the question ...  and the witness answered it 

... "what was happening was public knowledge"

And it was,  wasn't it   ? 

What was 'public knowledge'  at that point,  was that the  McCanns,  having been  made Arguido,  left Portugal quicker than rats up a drainpipe  ...  and within days had hired the most notorious extradition lawyer in the world

...  that's what was public knowledge

Offline jassi

« Reply #476 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
lol you sound like the dunce in the corner ;)

In attack mode again, I see. Do you have any other function ?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Benita

« Reply #477 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
In attack mode again, I see. Do you have any other function ?

good morning jassi  ?{)(**
I have many fuctions thank you  8((()*/

Offline jassi

« Reply #478 on: October 06, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
good morning jassi  ?{)(**
I have many fuctions thank you  8((()*/

I'm glad to hear that and look forward to seeing them.

Or maybe not -

Benita

« Reply #479 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
I'm glad to hear that and look forward to seeing them.

show me yours an i'll show ya mine  @)(++(*