Author Topic: Why Aren't the McCanns Giving Evidence at their Libel Trial ?  (Read 34015 times)

Offline Montclair

Re: Why Aren't the McCanns Giving Evidence at their Libel Trial ?
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
It could be I suppose  ...  or it might be that the witnesses who have appeared so far have been so piss-poor  that Isabel Duarte has roped Gerry in out of desperation

Seriously  ...  the McCann witnesses have been dire  !  ...  what  purpose   have they served  ?  (  I'm not seeing it at all     )

Or it could be that Isabel Duarte is not so happy to see the hot headed Gerry in a witness stand and that he came on his own to try to save a desparate situation.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
«The McCanns' lawyer, Isabel Duarte, said it was important that he be heard. She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence."»

Has this been posted on the forum? Trying to find it with no luck.

Very strange that two witnesses have chosen not to put themselves through the ordeal of testifying??   Does anyone know who they are per chance?  One of the tapas group perhaps??
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »
Very strange that two witnesses have chosen not to put themselves through the ordeal of testifying??   Does anyone know who they are per chance?  One of the tapas group perhaps??
One of them could be Mrs Healy.

drummer

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
Why WAS Gerry in Portugal?? - Joana Morais

Why was Gerry McCann in Portugal?

30 September 2013 | Posted by Joana Morais Leave a Comment

Gerry McCann and one of the McCanns Portuguese lawyers, Isabel Duarte

«Dra Duarte said she made yesterday [26.9.2013] a request for the complainant G. McCann who is coming from the UK (she insisted twice on this) to be heard.» Anna Guedes report, McCann v Gonçalo Amaral Libel Trial in Lisbon - Day 5, 27 September 2013

«The McCanns’ spokesman Clarence Mitchell said last night: “I can confirm Gerry McCann is hoping to give evidence.”» Daily Star, Jerry Lawton, Madeleine's dad, Gerry McCann jets in to 'help find the truth', 27 September 2013

«The McCanns' lawyer, Isabel Duarte, said it was important that he be heard. She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence."» BBC, Alison Roberts, Gerry McCann ready to testify amid £1m libel case delay, 27 September 2013
«The judge agreed to an adjournment because a member of one of the lawyers' families had a medical issue. Mr McCann was told the news as he arrived at the court in Lisbon after an early morning flight from the UK. He headed back to the airport. He said outside court: "Obviously we are disappointed. If I get another opportunity to be heard I will be back and will answer the questions I'm asked.» Sky News, Martin Brunt, Madeleine McCann: Gerry's Evidence Stalled, 27 September 2013

drummer

« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
All of the points mentioned by Morais have been given a source apart from this one:

The McCanns' lawyer, Isabel Duarte, said it was important that he be heard. She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence

Sorry just been informed by Redblossom it does have a source.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:52:18 AM by drummer »

Redblossom

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
All of the points mentioned by Morais have been given a source apart from this one:

The McCanns' lawyer, Isabel Duarte, said it was important that he be heard. She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence

It has, you need to click on the blue text beginning with....BBC Alison Roberts

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-was-gerry-mccann-in-portugal.html

drummer

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Thank you, have edited post.

Redblossom

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2013, 11:55:56 AM »
Thank you, have edited post.

NP, youre welcome.

drummer

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Meanwhile Mr McCann and his sister had arrived. The Judge asked to call the two witnesses first Eduardo Dâmaso and later Trish Cameron.

Who is Eduardo Damaso?

Redblossom

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
Meanwhile Mr McCann and his sister had arrived. The Judge asked to call the two witnesses first Eduardo Dâmaso and later Trish Cameron.

Who is Eduardo Damaso?

From Annes write up of last Friday. Think he works for the newspaper C da M but dont know whose witness it is.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2417.msg79135;boardseen#new

The Judge then announced that the 27th witnesses would be heard on the 2nd of October (Henrique Machado (journalist of Correio da Manhă), Eduardo Dâmaso (political analyst) and Mrs Cameron).
From this I deduce that 1) Mrs Healy will not be heard and 2) Mrs Cameron is the last witness for the accusation, except for the bar association president, Marinho Pinto who eventually will be heard on the 19 of November.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:14:00 PM by Redblossom »

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
NP, youre welcome.

Eduardo Dâmaso (political analyst).
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Puffin

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 27 Sep
#mccann libel trial will resume on Wednesday Oct 2 - Madeleine's parents seek £1m from Amaral over his book claims they covered up her death

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 12m
Gerry #McCann flying to Portugal hoping to give evidence at £1m libel trial of ex-cop who alleged he covered up daughter Madeleine's death

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 10m
Also set to give evidence at Lisbon libel trial tomorrow is Kate #McCann mum Susan and Gerry's sister Trish
Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Luz

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »

Who is Eduardo Damaso?

Eduardo Dâmaso is probably another witness that was not directly invited, as happened with Menezes and Melchior. He is a journalist and not favorable towards the McCann's version of events.

Mrs. Duarte is taking advantage of a law in Portugal that obliges anyone being appointed as witnesses to be present in Court - unless you can justify the absence with a medical or very important professional reason.

What Mrs. Duarte attempted to do was to neutralize some potential witnesses to the other part - if you recall, Menezes (and I am not sure about Melchior) was a witness to Amaral on the previous Trial.

However I don't think this strategy is going to produce any fruits. Considering the witnesses on Amaral's side - people that were directly involved in the investigation and people that were involved in the Media exposure of the case - until now, there has not been an ounce of objective proof that the defendants (respondants) harmed either the investigation or the welfare of the family -, I think these witnesses are in a better position to testify that whatever the claimants suffered had nothing to do with the publication of a book, a DVd or a TV documentary.

The McCann weren't appointed as witnesses, I think, because before September, 1st, in these cases the claimants only had to appoint witnesses and submit documents, they were not considered relevant as witnesses since they were subjective parts in the process.
As the law changed they could have been included in the roll, but they were not supposed to appear, according to the UK Media - allegedly by recommendation from the SY. Apparently the situation has changed last 26th and Mrs. Duarte submitted a petition to have Mr. McCann.

Although Mrs. Duarte knew that there was a request from one of the Defense (respondents) lawyers to have a suspension on friday, and that a change of witnesses requested on thursday would take maybe at least 5 days to be answered, Mr. McCann jumped into a plane to be able to express to the UK rags his disappointment for the impossibility to give testimony in Court on Friday.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:56:49 AM by Luz »

Offline Carana

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

Who is Eduardo Damaso?

Eduardo Dâmaso is (or certainly was) Editor-in-chief of CdaM.

Correction: it seems he's the deputy editor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:09:15 PM by Carana »

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »

Eduardo Dâmaso is (or certainly was) Editor-in-chief of CdaM.

Correction: it seems he's the deputy editor.

I was going by Anne's posting, re the judges announcement, on Friday. But you are correct!
Eduardo Dâmaso, Assistant Editor, Daily Correio da Manhă

"The Judge then announced that the 27th witnesses would be heard on the 2nd of October (Henrique Machado (journalist of Correio da Manhă), Eduardo Dâmaso (political analyst)"

Seems he is also very much against corruption in Portugal, too.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/