Author Topic: UK police believe they know who kidnapped Madeline McCann australian story  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Victoria

Re: UK police believe they know who kidnapped Madeline McCann australian story
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
I think the point is that the nature/content of the calls is not available, only the times and numbers involved. SY won't be able to get any more.

Depending upon the date range of information available, it can still tell the authorities rather a lot.

Offline jassi

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Not much beyond proving when and where  a certain phone was active. It can't prove who was carrying that phone at the time, or what they said.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Victoria

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Not much beyond proving when and where  a certain phone was active. It can't prove who was carrying that phone at the time, or what they said.

You need to think outside the box a bit, old chum.

Offline jassi

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »
You need to think outside the box a bit, old chum.

enlighten me.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
Victoria,  I'm still waiting to be let out of this 'ere box that you think I'm in.   8)><(
Surely you don't want me to remain in ignorance ?

Or maybe not -

Offline Victoria

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Victoria,  I'm still waiting to be let out of this 'ere box that you think I'm in.   8)><(
Surely you don't want me to remain in ignorance ?

It's quite simple, really. If there is enough data available to establish a pattern of behaviour over the preceding period, then it will be possible to tell whether activity over the period in question (ie the abduction window) was anything out of the ordinary. If a picture can be built up over several days (ideally longer) of how or if these phones contacted each other, then that can be compared to contact that occurred during the abduction window.

Then, if it is believed that these phones were contacting each other during the abduction window in a way that wasn't consistent with a pre-established pattern, their pattern of contact post abduction window could also be looked at, including where the phones were in the following days. Even if the owners of the phones weren't known, knowing where they were at particular times, especially if there were three of them and they were in unusual locations, may be enough to start tracing the owners or users of the phones.

It's a painstaking, long-winded process, but potentially can lead to a breakthrough. The biggest difficulty though will be in getting the information from the various providers, let alone the analysis and generation of leads that then follows.

Offline jassi

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Thank you.
The drawback is that mobile phone companies might not have that information now. The PJ requested some information for various days around the 3rd, but this may not be enough to provide the patterns you are talking about.

Or maybe not -

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
It's quite simple, really. If there is enough data available to establish a pattern of behaviour over the preceding period, then it will be possible to tell whether activity over the period in question (ie the abduction window) was anything out of the ordinary. If a picture can be built up over several days (ideally longer) of how or if these phones contacted each other, then that can be compared to contact that occurred during the abduction window.

Then, if it is believed that these phones were contacting each other during the abduction window in a way that wasn't consistent with a pre-established pattern, their pattern of contact post abduction window could also be looked at, including where the phones were in the following days. Even if the owners of the phones weren't known, knowing where they were at particular times, especially if there were three of them and they were in unusual locations, may be enough to start tracing the owners or users of the phones.

It's a painstaking, long-winded process, but potentially can lead to a breakthrough. The biggest difficulty though will be in getting the information from the various providers, let alone the analysis and generation of leads that then follows.

Hmmm.  Given that mobiles can probably by located to  about 50 meters in a area with coverage. I am not sure what this analysis could do apart from identify numbers and connections in the area. It doesn't indicate what they were doing.

“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Hmmm.  Given that mobiles can probably by located to  about 50 meters in a area with coverage. I am not sure what this analysis could do apart from identify numbers and connections in the area. It doesn't indicate what they were doing.

Then again, you're not thinking hard enough.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »
Then again, you're not thinking hard enough.

I think you are making an assumption that mobile phone use has  definite  pattern which IMO is incorrect.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline jassi

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »
Does anyone know how long phone companies would have  stored their traffic data for back in 2007 ?

I have to say that I have little expectation that this will lead anywhere useful.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:28:48 AM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
Does anyone know how long phone companies would have  stored their traffic data for back in 2007 ?

I have to say that I have little expectation that this will lead anywhere useful.

I think they would store it indefinitely in this case.. until the case get solved!
Nobody is stupid to delete this data!

Offline jassi

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
I think they would store it indefinitely in this case.. until the case get solved!
Nobody is stupid to delete this data!

No, you misunderstand. I don't mean the data that the police have, I meant the traffic for the whole area that the phone company would have had at the time, that the police may not have collected.

Or maybe not -