Author Topic: Why did the Portuguese Police not come to UK to interview witnesses?  (Read 11017 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Why did the Portuguese Police not come to UK to interview witnesses?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
@ gilet

I'm was not stating it as a fact, I was merely pointing out there are other explanations than those supporters would readily chose to believe. By the time the article was published there were many people who knew about Madeleine crying on the Wednesday night,  from the McCann's friends to Leceistershire  police officers, so to state that the story was leaked by the PJ as a fact is simply wrong and, at this juncture, unprovable.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline gilet

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
@ gilet

I'm was not stating it as a fact, I was merely pointing out there are other explanations than those supporters would readily chose to believe. By the time the article was published there were many people who knew about Madeleine crying on the Wednesday night,  from the McCann's friends to Leceistershire  police officers, so to state that the story was leaked by the PJ as a fact is simply wrong and, at this juncture, unprovable.

I did not say you stated it as fact.

I just pointed out that to even suggest such a thing was a sign you either did not understand what you were implying or was plain stupid as the idea of the McCanns, as you suggested, leaking that to discredit themselves in front of the European Parliament is plain ridiculous.

Offline Luz

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
There is no legal procedure for Portuguese police to interview in England - they have to use rogatory interviews carried out by English police; they must provide a set of questions and are allowed to ask limited supplementaries via the UK interviewers. This is a voluntary process- no one can be forced to present themselves for interview.

WHen this process was being organised, the [ censored word ]s were jumping up and down celebrating their false view that the police would be arresting the McCanns And the Tapas group, dragging them to police cells, and coercing the "truth" out of the- they knew nothing of the law and laughed at my posts saying that Portuguese police would be observers, written notice of questions were required in advance, the interviewees would be legally represented, would not be compelled to attend or remain at interview and could leave at any time if they wished. All true.

Mr. Rebelo left because the interviews were a joke (as can be seen in the case files) where the LP agents told the interviewees what they had said before and asked if they maintained or changed their versions. Some even revealed what their spouses had testified in order to make them correct their versions...it was absolutely shameful.

But we have experience with the lack of co-operation from the UK when their subjects are in trouble with our laws. So it was not a surprise when the Home Office took almost an year to agree to those disgraceful interviews since in 2007 it already had practically denied to provide information about the suspects.

Offline gilet

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
There is no legal procedure for Portuguese police to interview in England - they have to use rogatory interviews carried out by English police; they must provide a set of questions and are allowed to ask limited supplementaries via the UK interviewers. This is a voluntary process- no one can be forced to present themselves for interview.

WHen this process was being organised, the [ censored word ]s were jumping up and down celebrating their false view that the police would be arresting the McCanns And the Tapas group, dragging them to police cells, and coercing the "truth" out of the- they knew nothing of the law and laughed at my posts saying that Portuguese police would be observers, written notice of questions were required in advance, the interviewees would be legally represented, would not be compelled to attend or remain at interview and could leave at any time if they wished. All true.

Mr. Rebelo left because the interviews were a joke (as can be seen in the case files) where the LP agents told the interviewees what they had said before and asked if they maintained or changed their versions. Some even revealed what their spouses had testified in order to make them correct their versions...it was absolutely shameful.

But we have experience with the lack of co-operation from the UK when their subjects are in trouble with our laws. So it was not a surprise when the Home Office took almost an year to agree to those disgraceful interviews since in 2007 it already had practically denied to provide information about the suspects.

Pure speculation on your part. There is no evidence he considered the interviews a joke.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

Hi Luz... regarding your statement  "But we have experience with the lack of co-operation from the UK when their subjects are in trouble with our laws."  Could you expand on this please? (Sorry, haven't quite got the hang of the quoting function yet!)

Offline Luz

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »

Pure speculation on your part. There is no evidence he considered the interviews a joke.

If you read the interviews' scripts and don't think they were a miserable police work than you should reconsider either re-take an exam on Interpretation or use a mask.

Offline gilet

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »

If you read the interviews' scripts and don't think they were a miserable police work than you should reconsider either re-take an exam on Interpretation or use a mask.

The content of the interviews has no bearing on my point at all.

Your comment about Rebelo considering them a joke remains pure speculation and is somewhat ironic after your jokes about the McCanns. Do you remember the joke about a fire?

Offline Luz

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
No Gilet, I don't recall any fire. And as far as Mr. Rebelo considering the interviews, let's say, not a joke (this is my expression) but meaningless it is proven by the fact that they were totally discarded in the report that he sent to the General Attorney.

Offline gilet

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
No Gilet, I don't recall any fire. And as far as Mr. Rebelo considering the interviews, let's say, not a joke (this is my expression) but meaningless it is proven by the fact that they were totally discarded in the report that he sent to the General Attorney.

You stated, "Mr. Rebelo left because the interviews were a joke..."

I stated that was speculation.

You have offered no evidence to the contrary.

I was absolutely right.

This thread is not about the content of the interviews but about the Police involvement. If you wish to start a topic about the content please do but don't try and use it as a distraction here to excuse the fact that your comment about Rebelo was unfounded speculation.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »

Demanding The Rogatory Interviews was just window dressing before the case was shelved.  Allegedly.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
Hi Luz... regarding your statement  "But we have experience with the lack of co-operation from the UK when their subjects are in trouble with our laws."  Could you expand on this please.

Offline Luz

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Hi Rachel,

sorry I haven't responded to you, and not wanting to go astray of the topic, but just to satisfy your curiosity...

A few years prior to the McCann incident there was a murder by a British citizen that had double nationality, he was also from India (I'm sorry I can't remember his name and so I can't give you links to check it up) .
He was convicted for murder but escaped and went to the UK. The Portuguese authorities immediately requested his extradiction but didn't receive any answer from the Home Office until that individual had gone to India with the help of the British authorities.

More recently, and in this case it was a portuguese man, there was a request for the return of a convicted felon - Vale e Azevedo - it took more than 5 years to have him back to serve his remaining 7 years prison in Portugal, but only after he committed crimes in the UK.

debunker

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:48 AM »
Luz does seem a little racist.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
Hi Rachel,

sorry I haven't responded to you, and not wanting to go astray of the topic, but just to satisfy your curiosity...

A few years prior to the McCann incident there was a murder by a British citizen that had double nationality, he was also from India (I'm sorry I can't remember his name and so I can't give you links to check it up) .
He was convicted for murder but escaped and went to the UK. The Portuguese authorities immediately requested his extradiction but didn't receive any answer from the Home Office until that individual had gone to India with the help of the British authorities.

More recently, and in this case it was a portuguese man, there was a request for the return of a convicted felon - Vale e Azevedo - it took more than 5 years to have him back to serve his remaining 7 years prison in Portugal, but only after he committed crimes in the UK.

Luz, thanks for the info.

Offline Carana

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
So where are we on this one?

Do we agree that members of the PJ did indeed visit the UK to attend at least some rogatory interviews?