Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 243180 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!
« Reply #1335 on: March 08, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »
Right, either you were in prison or you were lying about not voting during the Blair years or you don’t believe in practicing what you preach.  Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1336 on: March 09, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.
I can assure you I did not.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1337 on: March 09, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1338 on: March 09, 2020, 05:59:59 PM »
Good news.
Unlike this.  If there was any doubt that Labour  have completely lost the plot, this should dispel it:

Labour suspends race pioneer Trevor Phillips over Islamophobia claims
Trevor Phillips, the first chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, says Labour was becoming a “brutish, authoritarian cult”
Trevor Phillips, the first chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, says Labour was becoming a “brutish, authoritarian cult”
FRANCESCO GUIDICINI FOR THE SUNDAY TIMES
Trevor Phillips, the former head of Britain’s equalities watchdog, has been suspended from the Labour Party over allegations of Islamophobia, The Times can disclose.

A pioneering anti-racism campaigner, Mr Phillips, 66, now faces expulsion from the party for alleged prejudice against Muslims. He first alerted Britain to the problem of Islamophobia in the 1990s but is now being investigated for public statements that include expressing concerns about Pakistani Muslim men sexually abusing children in northern towns such as Rotherham.

Comments by Mr Phillips about the failure by some Muslims to wear poppies for Remembrance Sunday and the sympathy shown by a substantial proportion in an opinion poll towards the “motives” of the Charlie Hebdo killers also form part of the complaint.

A free thinker since school
Few Britons can claim so many milestones in the fight against racism as Trevor Phillips, Dominic Kennedy writes.
Read the feature
He told Today on BBC Radio 4 that he had been suspended with immediate effect and accused the party of “shutting down genuine debate”.

“They say I’ve accused Muslims of being different — Muslims are different, and in many ways I think that’s admirable . . . We cannot continue to simply say differences don’t matter — it’s a form of disrespect,” he said.

Many of his statements date back years but Jennie Formby, Labour’s general secretary, suspended Mr Phillips as a matter of “urgency to protect the party’s reputation”, he was told. He has not been given the identity of any complainant. The suspension pending investigation means he cannot attend party meetings or run for office.

Mr Phillips was the inaugural chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which is investigating Labour for alleged [ censored word]emitism. He was among a number of anti-racists who wrote to The Guardian last year and said that they were refusing to vote Labour at the general election in solidarity with Jews.

In The Times today Mr Phillips says he is a victim of Labour’s adoption of a cross-party group of MPs’ definition of Islamophobia as a “kind of racism” hostile to “Muslimness”. Labour said the party “takes all complaints about Islamophobia extremely seriously and they are fully investigated”.

The accusations are based on his public statements about how to integrate Muslims. As chairman of the Runnymede Trust think tank, Mr Phillips in 1997 published a report on Islamophobia. He successfully lobbied Tony Blair for a law protecting Muslims from incitement.

Khalid Mahmood, England’s first Muslim MP and a Labour backbencher, said in a paper called The Trial: the strange case of Trevor Phillips, published by the Policy Exchange think tank today, “the charges were so outlandish as to bring disrepute on all involved in making them”. Mr Phillips has said there is no suggestion that he has done anything unlawful and “no one inside or outside the Labour Party has ever suggested that I have broken any rules”.

A draft charge sheet cites Mr Phillips’s remarks to a Conservative Party conference fringe event. He said: “I don’t know if I’m the only one here who’s been nominated by a UN body as the Islamophobe of the Year. You might have been, Peter, no?” To laughter, Peter Tatchell, the veteran gay rights campaigner, joked: “I’m jealous!”

The draft charge sheet accuses Mr Phillips of using language “which targets or intimidates members of ethnic or religious communities, or incites racism, including Islamophobia”.

There is speculation about the motives for trying to expel him now. He has been a leading voice denouncing Labour’s [ censored word]emitism problems under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. He is also a member of the same Holborn & St Pancras constituency Labour party in north London as Sir Keir Starmer, the favourite to win the leadership election who is suspected of having designs to move away from a hard-left agenda.

The Tory event last autumn was exploring a new definition of Islamophobia proposed by a cross-party group of MPs. The wording has been widely denounced by religious, secular and free-speech campaigners, including Mr Phillips, who chairs the non-profit organisation Index on Censorship, for being a backdoor ban on blasphemy. Labour and some local authorities have adopted it, however.

Mr Phillips’ reference to being nominated as “Islamophobe of the Year” refers to a mock awards ceremony run by the Islamic Human Rights Commission, a Tehran-supporting, London-based pressure group recognised by the United Nations. The annual event was condemned as tasteless after the commission gave a posthumous award in 2015 to the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo magazine, several of whom had been murdered by terrorists in Paris for drawing the Prophet Mohammed.

Mr Phillips is formally accused of breaking Labour rules forbidding conduct prejudicial or grossly detrimental to the party. The allegations cite extracts from a pamphlet he wrote for the Civitas think tank, an article for the Unherd website and quotations in news reports in The Times and Daily Mail.

In his 2016 pamphlet Race and Faith: The Deafening Silence, he wrote: “The most sensitive cause of conflict in recent years has been the collision between majority norms and the behaviours of some Muslim groups.

“In particular, the exposure of systematic and longstanding abuse by men, mostly of Pakistani Muslim origin in the north of England.”

He went on to describe attending an Islamic conference before Remembrance Sunday where only one Muslim attendee wore a poppy. The same day he visited an industrial site, the workplace of many African and eastern European immigrants. “Poppies were everywhere,” he wrote. “One group had clearly adapted to the mainstream, the other had not.”

Labour has demanded to know why he wrote in the pamphlet that Enoch Powell’s 1968 “rivers of blood” speech had been “lauded as an epic example of the use of political rhetoric”.

Mr Phillips’ full quotation shows he was emphasising that Powell’s career was ended by the speech. The lesson learnt by people in British public life, he said, was to say nothing about race or religion “that is not anodyne and platitudinous”, resulting in a failure to address anti-immigrant sentiment.

He is also criticised for being quoted in The Times in 2016 referring to “the unacknowledged creation of a nation within the nation, with its own geography, its own values and its own very separate future”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-suspends-race-pioneer-trevor-phillips-over-islamophobia-claims-m7qzzqz8d
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #1339 on: March 09, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
Pathetic bunch of wimps

“Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour leadership frontrunner, today refused to comment on the party’s suspension of Trevor Phillips over allegations of Islamaphobia.

He remained silent despite the fact that Mr Phillips is a longstanding member of his constituency Labour party in Holborn & St Pancras.

The Times revealed today that Mr Phillips, the former head of Britain’s equalities watchdog, faced expulsion from the Labour Party for alleged prejudice against Muslims.

Sir Keir’s reticence drew criticism from Lord Mann, a prominent former Labour MP, who said that the leadership contender “should either be backing the expulsion or vigorously defending him”. Lord Mann added: “He’s the local leader, it’s his local party.”

Rebecca Long-Bailey and Lisa Nand, Sir Keir’s rivals in the leadership contest, also both refused to comment”

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1340 on: March 16, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
Unlike this.  If there was any doubt that Labour  have completely lost the plot, this should dispel it:

Labour suspends race pioneer Trevor Phillips over Islamophobia claims
FRANCESCO GUIDICINI FOR THE SUNDAY TIMES
Trevor Phillips, the former head of Britain’s equalities watchdog, has been suspended from the Labour Party over allegations of Islamophobia, The Times can disclose.

A pioneering anti-racism campaigner, Mr Phillips, 66, now faces expulsion from the party for alleged prejudice against Muslims. He first alerted Britain to the problem of Islamophobia in the 1990s but is now being investigated for public statements that include expressing concerns about Pakistani Muslim men sexually abusing children in northern towns such as Rotherham.

Comments by Mr Phillips about the failure by some Muslims to wear poppies for Remembrance Sunday and the sympathy shown by a substantial proportion in an opinion poll towards the “motives” of the Charlie Hebdo killers also form part of the complaint.

A free thinker since school
Few Britons can claim so many milestones in the fight against racism as Trevor Phillips, Dominic Kennedy writes.
Read the feature
He told Today on BBC Radio 4 that he had been suspended with immediate effect and accused the party of “shutting down genuine debate”.

“They say I’ve accused Muslims of being different — Muslims are different, and in many ways I think that’s admirable . . . We cannot continue to simply say differences don’t matter — it’s a form of disrespect,” he said.

Many of his statements date back years but Jennie Formby, Labour’s general secretary, suspended Mr Phillips as a matter of “urgency to protect the party’s reputation”, he was told. He has not been given the identity of any complainant. The suspension pending investigation means he cannot attend party meetings or run for office.

Mr Phillips was the inaugural chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which is investigating Labour for alleged [ censored word]emitism. He was among a number of anti-racists who wrote to The Guardian last year and said that they were refusing to vote Labour at the general election in solidarity with Jews.

In The Times today Mr Phillips says he is a victim of Labour’s adoption of a cross-party group of MPs’ definition of Islamophobia as a “kind of racism” hostile to “Muslimness”. Labour said the party “takes all complaints about Islamophobia extremely seriously and they are fully investigated”.

The accusations are based on his public statements about how to integrate Muslims. As chairman of the Runnymede Trust think tank, Mr Phillips in 1997 published a report on Islamophobia. He successfully lobbied Tony Blair for a law protecting Muslims from incitement.

Khalid Mahmood, England’s first Muslim MP and a Labour backbencher, said in a paper called The Trial: the strange case of Trevor Phillips, published by the Policy Exchange think tank today, “the charges were so outlandish as to bring disrepute on all involved in making them”. Mr Phillips has said there is no suggestion that he has done anything unlawful and “no one inside or outside the Labour Party has ever suggested that I have broken any rules”.

A draft charge sheet cites Mr Phillips’s remarks to a Conservative Party conference fringe event. He said: “I don’t know if I’m the only one here who’s been nominated by a UN body as the Islamophobe of the Year. You might have been, Peter, no?” To laughter, Peter Tatchell, the veteran gay rights campaigner, joked: “I’m jealous!”

The draft charge sheet accuses Mr Phillips of using language “which targets or intimidates members of ethnic or religious communities, or incites racism, including Islamophobia”.

There is speculation about the motives for trying to expel him now. He has been a leading voice denouncing Labour’s [ censored word]emitism problems under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. He is also a member of the same Holborn & St Pancras constituency Labour party in north London as Sir Keir Starmer, the favourite to win the leadership election who is suspected of having designs to move away from a hard-left agenda.

The Tory event last autumn was exploring a new definition of Islamophobia proposed by a cross-party group of MPs. The wording has been widely denounced by religious, secular and free-speech campaigners, including Mr Phillips, who chairs the non-profit organisation Index on Censorship, for being a backdoor ban on blasphemy. Labour and some local authorities have adopted it, however.

Mr Phillips’ reference to being nominated as “Islamophobe of the Year” refers to a mock awards ceremony run by the Islamic Human Rights Commission, a Tehran-supporting, London-based pressure group recognised by the United Nations. The annual event was condemned as tasteless after the commission gave a posthumous award in 2015 to the cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo magazine, several of whom had been murdered by terrorists in Paris for drawing the Prophet Mohammed.

Mr Phillips is formally accused of breaking Labour rules forbidding conduct prejudicial or grossly detrimental to the party. The allegations cite extracts from a pamphlet he wrote for the Civitas think tank, an article for the Unherd website and quotations in news reports in The Times and Daily Mail.

In his 2016 pamphlet Race and Faith: The Deafening Silence, he wrote: “The most sensitive cause of conflict in recent years has been the collision between majority norms and the behaviours of some Muslim groups.

“In particular, the exposure of systematic and longstanding abuse by men, mostly of Pakistani Muslim origin in the north of England.”

He went on to describe attending an Islamic conference before Remembrance Sunday where only one Muslim attendee wore a poppy. The same day he visited an industrial site, the workplace of many African and eastern European immigrants. “Poppies were everywhere,” he wrote. “One group had clearly adapted to the mainstream, the other had not.”

Labour has demanded to know why he wrote in the pamphlet that Enoch Powell’s 1968 “rivers of blood” speech had been “lauded as an epic example of the use of political rhetoric”.

Mr Phillips’ full quotation shows he was emphasising that Powell’s career was ended by the speech. The lesson learnt by people in British public life, he said, was to say nothing about race or religion “that is not anodyne and platitudinous”, resulting in a failure to address anti-immigrant sentiment.

He is also criticised for being quoted in The Times in 2016 referring to “the unacknowledged creation of a nation within the nation, with its own geography, its own values and its own very separate future”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-suspends-race-pioneer-trevor-phillips-over-islamophobia-claims-m7qzzqz8d

I first saw ir in the times and then..https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8089767/Trevor-Phillips-suspended-Labour-Islamophobia-allegations.html
It is shameful and disgraceful and what we have come to expect from the Stalin labour party.

"“the unacknowledged creation of a nation within the nation, with its own geography, its own values and its own very separate future”."  not forgetting their own laws 'sharia' thanks to the council Islamic council of Great Britain's demands.

Many knew that... hence Brexit was born. The only party to highlight these issues were the vile BNP- their support grew  from people who normally wouldn't give them the light of day, to demanding thses issues be addressed.  too little too late  in some cases. Many by labour run councils- the brother hood all for the people- we are to believe.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1342 on: March 23, 2020, 06:21:39 PM »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1343 on: March 26, 2020, 11:23:52 PM »
The perfect summation of Jeremy Corbyn’s years as Leader of the Opposition, god rest his soul

orbyn steps aside
Matt Chorley
, Red Box Editor
Thursday March 26 2020, 9.00am, The Times
A little over four years ago . . . will you let me finish? A little over four years ago I started writing Red Box and the very first thing I wrote about . . . can I finish? If you’d just let me finish.

The first thing I wrote about in January 2016 was Jeremy Corbyn. And his neverending revenge reshuffle. And since then I have been opposed to all forms of reshuffles.

The reshuffle lasted days and days. In fact I’m not sure it ever ended. But at least he is now finished. Corbyn took part in his final prime minister’s questions yesterday, having performed some 150 times since his election as Labour leader back in 2015.

All of those who have endured the weekly tedium of his open-goal-dodging, emails from Doris in Derby who speaks only in Labour press release-ese, statements which weren’t questions, and stressing IN all THE wrong places now find themselves well-equipped for self-isolation. We have been trapped for what felt like hours with nothing decent to watch every Wednesday lunchtime for four and half years.

There was a frisson of excitement in the press gallery yesterday when three of Corbyn’s aides were kicked out by a doorkeeper for trying to take photos of the saintly one at the dispatch box. “Seumus I’m not sure this is a great idea.”

Down in the chamber, Boris Johnson rose to the occasion and managed to squeeze out some warm words of tribute “to him, his service to the party and indeed the country over the last four years in a very difficult job”.

Corbyn was slightly thrown by a Tory being nice to him, and said the PM was “talking as if it was some kind of obituary.” He insisted “my voice will not be stilled, I will be around”. Labour MPs inwardly groaned.

In his time as leader Corbyn has seen off three prime ministers, although they have managed the one thing he never did. Actually become PM.

Written off as a leftie beardie weirdie who could not win an election he proved us all wrong, by not winning the two.

He won over Twitter, Owen Jones and half of UB40, but in the end the mainstream electorate was biased against him.

So here, in no particular order and making no particular sense, are a collection of things Magic Grandpa which make me smile, because frankly we could do with it right now. As a wise man’s Twitter account once said after being hacked: “Here we . . . here we . . . here we f***ing go!!!”

Even before he became leader, Jeremy Bernard Corbyn was giving us gold. Asked during the 2015 leadership contest by MumsNet what his favourite biscuit was he said that he was trying to cut down sugar but if forced he would have shortbread. If forced? Who would force you to have shortbread? Unless you’ve been taken hostage by a Scottish terrorist. And he’s probably friends with them anyway.

Soon after becoming leader he broke all the rules: not singing the national anthem, refusing to press the nuclear button, opposing shoot-to-kill, raising doubts over the Falklands, backing flying pickets, suggesting negotiating with Isis and refusing to be any good.

Pressed on his own unpopularity he once replied: “I think we can spend too much time worrying about polls.”

On Brexit he was, to coin a phrase, present but not involved. During the referendum campaign he went on a walking holiday. He went on Channel 4’s Last Leg in a pimp’s fur coat and declared his enthusiasm for the EU to be “Seven, seven-and-a-half”.

This supposedly-devoted Remainer responded to the Leave vote the morning after the referendum by rushing on TV and declaring: “Article 50 has to be invoked now.”

Adopting five tests his own frontbench described as “bollocks”, he was dragged to to the idea of a second referendum before revealing he was the only person in Britain who was entirely neutral on what was then the biggest issue facing the country. (Oh for those days.)

Giving Russia the benefit of the doubt over the Salisbury poisonings. Giving Ken Livingstone the benefit of the doubt over, well, almost everything. Calling Theresa May “a stupid woman”.

His hooded coat at the cenotaph. His hat on Newsnight. His shellsuit on the streets of Islington. “When I go home every night, I put my tracksuit on. I feel very comfortable in it. You can do anything in a tracksuit. You can go out. It’s great! Although people round here make me stop going out in it.”

Of course in the 2017 election he defied all of the pundits who predicted he would lose by only losing by a bit less than they thought. And he celebrated with his fabulously misplaced high-five with Emily Thornberry.

Once challenged over why he couldn’t explain his own policy, he replied: “That’s why we have iPads.”

Mistakenly thinking that everyone at Glastonbury was there for him, and so organising LabourLive, which was just like Glastonbury except in every way, with less Stormzy and more Barry Gardiner.

The big marrow on his allotment. The jam-making. Signing apples with a gold pen. Going to the kebab awards and extolling the virtues of salad. Suggesting that he was “going through the process” of becoming a vegan but found it hard because he liked cheese.

The lieu days and afternoon naps. Grading all Labour MPs from “core to hostile”.

Telling parents who go to the school gate in their pyjamas: “I’d advise people to wear a coat and put some proper clothes on, it gets cold out there.” Filing his tax return late. Forgetting to mention that Iain Duncan Smith had quit the government, insisting that it was not “up to me to throw in other than a couple of lines about ‘the government’s in a mess’.”

Being constantly, endlessly baffled that journalists might want to ask questions of the man who wanted to be prime minister: “Thank you very much for invading my private space.” “You’re shouting questions at me. It’s quite rude”

Actually saying: “I think we need to examine this question in some detail and see if there is excessive profit-making by those who make Freddos – then they’ve got us to answer to.”

The mad schemes that never came off: giving a speech from a floating platform in the seas; projecting holograms of himself around the country; free broadband for all. (What we wouldn’t do for that right now.)

Calling for nuclear submarines without nuclear warheads. Likening Isis to Israel. Campaigning for the Labour leader to bring back a shadow cabinet minister for mental health when he was the Labour leader who abolished the post.

Paying tribute to a police officer who “lost his life”, who hadn’t died. Wishing good luck to the England football team with a quote from Bill Shankly, who was Scottish. Announcing a new bus policy on a tram. Sitting on the floor of a “ram-packed” train.

Making an ectoplasm jelly bath bomb. Appointing Pat Glass as shadow education secretary before she quit two days later. Attending a party celebrating Andy Burnham becoming mayor of Manchester, to which Burnham wasn’t invited.

Winning the argument, by coming up with ideas that were more popular when it wasn’t him extolling them.

Seeing his deputy quit on the eve of an election and writing to him: “I hope the horseradish plants I gave you thrive.”

This is a man who once said out loud: “Let us remember the incompetence we have been forced to endure.” Apparently under the impression that people would think of the government and not him.

Given what we are going through right now it seems wrong even to blow the cobwebs off the This. Is. Not. Normal. catchphrase. But it all began when I found myself having to explain that British Jews protesting outside parliament at [ censored word]emitism in the Labour Party was not normal.

A man who claimed to be a life-long anti-racist not knowing that that mural was racist was not normal.

The Chief Rabbi saying that a “new poison” had entered the party was not normal. The Jewish Labour Movement saying that the party was “no longer a safe space for Jewish people” was not normal. Some Labour MPs had the courage to say that enough was enough and walked out. They all lost their seats at the election, but they will always have the knowledge that when things really mattered they did what was right.

And now Corbyn leaves with the Labour Party still under investigation to see if it is institutionally racist. That, perhaps more than anything, should shame him and those around him, and those who supported the very idea of him becoming prime minister. But it won’t.

At the end of it all, what was the point? What did he achieve? As a long-standing Eurosceptic who wanted a massive expansion in the size of the state funded by huge government borrowing, and the nationalisation of the railways and private hospitals, he could look around now and think job done. Albeit, none of it actually down to him.

As this bizarre era comes to an end, I want to go back to a quote from the beginning. Nothing he has said or done since has managed to better sum up his leadership: superficially well-meaning, yet bafflingly meaningless.

In his very first conference speech as leader he told us, strong message here: “Let’s give them the space for that fizz to explode into the joy we want of a better society.”

For now. Finally. Jeremy Corbyn does not cling on. Obviously.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1344 on: March 27, 2020, 12:41:11 AM »
The perfect summation of Jeremy Corbyn’s years as Leader of the Opposition, god rest his soul

orbyn steps aside
Matt Chorley
, Red Box Editor
Thursday March 26 2020, 9.00am, The Times
A little over four years ago . . . will you let me finish? A little over four years ago I started writing Red Box and the very first thing I wrote about . . . can I finish? If you’d just let me finish.

The first thing I wrote about in January 2016 was Jeremy Corbyn. And his neverending revenge reshuffle. And since then I have been opposed to all forms of reshuffles.

The reshuffle lasted days and days. In fact I’m not sure it ever ended. But at least he is now finished. Corbyn took part in his final prime minister’s questions yesterday, having performed some 150 times since his election as Labour leader back in 2015.

All of those who have endured the weekly tedium of his open-goal-dodging, emails from Doris in Derby who speaks only in Labour press release-ese, statements which weren’t questions, and stressing IN all THE wrong places now find themselves well-equipped for self-isolation. We have been trapped for what felt like hours with nothing decent to watch every Wednesday lunchtime for four and half years.

There was a frisson of excitement in the press gallery yesterday when three of Corbyn’s aides were kicked out by a doorkeeper for trying to take photos of the saintly one at the dispatch box. “Seumus I’m not sure this is a great idea.”

Down in the chamber, Boris Johnson rose to the occasion and managed to squeeze out some warm words of tribute “to him, his service to the party and indeed the country over the last four years in a very difficult job”.

Corbyn was slightly thrown by a Tory being nice to him, and said the PM was “talking as if it was some kind of obituary.” He insisted “my voice will not be stilled, I will be around”. Labour MPs inwardly groaned.

In his time as leader Corbyn has seen off three prime ministers, although they have managed the one thing he never did. Actually become PM.

Written off as a leftie beardie weirdie who could not win an election he proved us all wrong, by not winning the two.

He won over Twitter, Owen Jones and half of UB40, but in the end the mainstream electorate was biased against him.

So here, in no particular order and making no particular sense, are a collection of things Magic Grandpa which make me smile, because frankly we could do with it right now. As a wise man’s Twitter account once said after being hacked: “Here we . . . here we . . . here we f***ing go!!!”

Even before he became leader, Jeremy Bernard Corbyn was giving us gold. Asked during the 2015 leadership contest by MumsNet what his favourite biscuit was he said that he was trying to cut down sugar but if forced he would have shortbread. If forced? Who would force you to have shortbread? Unless you’ve been taken hostage by a Scottish terrorist. And he’s probably friends with them anyway.

Soon after becoming leader he broke all the rules: not singing the national anthem, refusing to press the nuclear button, opposing shoot-to-kill, raising doubts over the Falklands, backing flying pickets, suggesting negotiating with Isis and refusing to be any good.

Pressed on his own unpopularity he once replied: “I think we can spend too much time worrying about polls.”

On Brexit he was, to coin a phrase, present but not involved. During the referendum campaign he went on a walking holiday. He went on Channel 4’s Last Leg in a pimp’s fur coat and declared his enthusiasm for the EU to be “Seven, seven-and-a-half”.

This supposedly-devoted Remainer responded to the Leave vote the morning after the referendum by rushing on TV and declaring: “Article 50 has to be invoked now.”

Adopting five tests his own frontbench described as “bollocks”, he was dragged to to the idea of a second referendum before revealing he was the only person in Britain who was entirely neutral on what was then the biggest issue facing the country. (Oh for those days.)

Giving Russia the benefit of the doubt over the Salisbury poisonings. Giving Ken Livingstone the benefit of the doubt over, well, almost everything. Calling Theresa May “a stupid woman”.

His hooded coat at the cenotaph. His hat on Newsnight. His shellsuit on the streets of Islington. “When I go home every night, I put my tracksuit on. I feel very comfortable in it. You can do anything in a tracksuit. You can go out. It’s great! Although people round here make me stop going out in it.”

Of course in the 2017 election he defied all of the pundits who predicted he would lose by only losing by a bit less than they thought. And he celebrated with his fabulously misplaced high-five with Emily Thornberry.

Once challenged over why he couldn’t explain his own policy, he replied: “That’s why we have iPads.”

Mistakenly thinking that everyone at Glastonbury was there for him, and so organising LabourLive, which was just like Glastonbury except in every way, with less Stormzy and more Barry Gardiner.

The big marrow on his allotment. The jam-making. Signing apples with a gold pen. Going to the kebab awards and extolling the virtues of salad. Suggesting that he was “going through the process” of becoming a vegan but found it hard because he liked cheese.

The lieu days and afternoon naps. Grading all Labour MPs from “core to hostile”.

Telling parents who go to the school gate in their pyjamas: “I’d advise people to wear a coat and put some proper clothes on, it gets cold out there.” Filing his tax return late. Forgetting to mention that Iain Duncan Smith had quit the government, insisting that it was not “up to me to throw in other than a couple of lines about ‘the government’s in a mess’.”

Being constantly, endlessly baffled that journalists might want to ask questions of the man who wanted to be prime minister: “Thank you very much for invading my private space.” “You’re shouting questions at me. It’s quite rude”

Actually saying: “I think we need to examine this question in some detail and see if there is excessive profit-making by those who make Freddos – then they’ve got us to answer to.”

The mad schemes that never came off: giving a speech from a floating platform in the seas; projecting holograms of himself around the country; free broadband for all. (What we wouldn’t do for that right now.)

Calling for nuclear submarines without nuclear warheads. Likening Isis to Israel. Campaigning for the Labour leader to bring back a shadow cabinet minister for mental health when he was the Labour leader who abolished the post.

Paying tribute to a police officer who “lost his life”, who hadn’t died. Wishing good luck to the England football team with a quote from Bill Shankly, who was Scottish. Announcing a new bus policy on a tram. Sitting on the floor of a “ram-packed” train.

Making an ectoplasm jelly bath bomb. Appointing Pat Glass as shadow education secretary before she quit two days later. Attending a party celebrating Andy Burnham becoming mayor of Manchester, to which Burnham wasn’t invited.

Winning the argument, by coming up with ideas that were more popular when it wasn’t him extolling them.

Seeing his deputy quit on the eve of an election and writing to him: “I hope the horseradish plants I gave you thrive.”

This is a man who once said out loud: “Let us remember the incompetence we have been forced to endure.” Apparently under the impression that people would think of the government and not him.

Given what we are going through right now it seems wrong even to blow the cobwebs off the This. Is. Not. Normal. catchphrase. But it all began when I found myself having to explain that British Jews protesting outside parliament at [ censored word]emitism in the Labour Party was not normal.

A man who claimed to be a life-long anti-racist not knowing that that mural was racist was not normal.

The Chief Rabbi saying that a “new poison” had entered the party was not normal. The Jewish Labour Movement saying that the party was “no longer a safe space for Jewish people” was not normal. Some Labour MPs had the courage to say that enough was enough and walked out. They all lost their seats at the election, but they will always have the knowledge that when things really mattered they did what was right.

And now Corbyn leaves with the Labour Party still under investigation to see if it is institutionally racist. That, perhaps more than anything, should shame him and those around him, and those who supported the very idea of him becoming prime minister. But it won’t.

At the end of it all, what was the point? What did he achieve? As a long-standing Eurosceptic who wanted a massive expansion in the size of the state funded by huge government borrowing, and the nationalisation of the railways and private hospitals, he could look around now and think job done. Albeit, none of it actually down to him.

As this bizarre era comes to an end, I want to go back to a quote from the beginning. Nothing he has said or done since has managed to better sum up his leadership: superficially well-meaning, yet bafflingly meaningless.

In his very first conference speech as leader he told us, strong message here: “Let’s give them the space for that fizz to explode into the joy we want of a better society.”

For now. Finally. Jeremy Corbyn does not cling on. Obviously.

My, my another churnalist who doesn’t like Corbyn...Noam Chomsky..the father of modern linguistics..does. Now whose opinion do you think we should respect?  @)(++(*

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1345 on: March 27, 2020, 07:31:30 AM »
Give me Chorley over Chomsky any day.  What has Chomsky ever done for me?  Defended Holocaust Deniers?  Doggedly pursued a socialist political agenda for 70 plus years?  And I should respect his views why?  Because he is “the father of modern linguistics”?  Does that mean his views trump those of everyone else’s and we should all shut up and defer to him?  I don’t think it works like that.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1346 on: March 27, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
Oh look, he’s writing about you Faithlilly!

Even now, Corbyn’s fans think he’s winning
The Labour leader’s supporters are so out of touch they believe Covid-19 measures represent a victory for their ideas

Philip Collins
Thursday March 26 2020, 5.00pm, The Times

Save

It is a metaphorical gift, as Jeremy Corbyn winds down his leadership of the Labour Party and claims in his final prime minister’s questions that his voice will not be stilled, that Russian frigates should be conducting unusual exercises in the North Sea. Invasion by Russia would just about seal the victory of ideas that Mr Corbyn’s supporters like to claim: the private sector locked down by the state, vast public expenditure, guaranteed incomes tied to need rather than labour, and companies the length and breadth of the land forswearing the motivation of profit. Truly, at the moment of his departure Mr Corbyn has won the argument.

The Labour leadership contest has been going on so long that, within it, Britain has managed to leave the European Union, the fabric of everyday life has been torn apart by coronavirus, and the Russians are testing our defences. Yet the Labour Party rolls on in its parallel universe and a timeframe of its own devising. Nominations opened on January 7 and the winner will be announced on April 4 by which time, if the tempest of change continues at the same pace, life will have been discovered on Mars and the political reputation of Tony Blair will have been rehabilitated.

Mr Corbyn leaves his post a two-time election loser who led Labour in 2019 to its worst electoral performance since 1935. He achieved the opposite of all his objectives, at least on the surface. There is, though, a deeper question and it is worth taking seriously the claim that he won the battle of ideas — not so much because of the negligible influence of Mr Corbyn himself but because the extraordinary measures made necessary by Covid-19 raise a historic tendency on the British left to regard itself as the winner, even from the vantage of obvious defeat.

A matter of months after Labour promised that the state would seize control of large tracts of the economy, the Conservatives have done so. There is evidently an emergency which justifies an extraordinary response. The state needs to replace incomes. It needs to reassure people that, once the virus has peaked, there will be a path back to normality. Though there is a lot of excitable talk about how everything will be different after the virus, most things will in fact be the same, for the good reason that most things are always the same, even after a revolution. In due course, the markets for pet food, shoes, key cutting, confectionery, coffee and cake, pharmaceutical goods, flowers, vinyl, books, pizzas and haircuts will look much as they did, just as most of them were left essentially unchanged by the financial crash of 2008.

The temptation on the left to ignore this and concentrate on some vast abstract change is always great. Indeed, you could say the Labour Party is the child of such moments. Brought to life by the Great War, which killed off the Liberal Party as a serious force, the Labour Party then came to power and to maturity in the aftermath of the Second World War. Labour’s formative moments were all in the shadow of great events and, ever since, the party has made a memorial of 1945.

There is no reason, of course, why a party should not celebrate its greatest achievements but the Attlee government from 1945 to 1951 has cast a shadow over Labour — a sentimental party at the best of times — from which successive leaders have struggled to escape.

The party made two errors of interpretation which are germane now. The first was to forget that command and control was an emergency procedure, not the norm. Harold Wilson, the Labour president of the board of trade from 1947, was charged with reducing price controls, food rationing, the centralised purchase of foodstuffs and raw materials, and the system of licences and permits for industrial goods. Wilson himself, who understood that people wanted to get back to normal as quickly as they could, was pictured tearing up a clothes ration book, an action which annoyed his colleagues in the Labour Party. “Wilson’s bonfire of controls speech annoyed a lot of party opinion,” wrote Denis Healey later.

Wilson confided to his diary during the ill-starred 1951 general election campaign that the failure to relinquish control quicker and with more relish had hurt Labour badly. The public had the sense that Labour liked the egalitarian and fair-shares nature of rationing rather too much. The emergency made socialism necessary and Labour was slow to let it pass. What is more, there was and is a puritanical streak in the party, mocked to telling effect by Tony Crosland in The Future of Socialism, which disdains consumption and activity without obvious moral purpose. A social lockdown is, among other things, a crackdown on frivolity but there comes a time, after the sacrifice has worked, when people look forward to the release. So it was with rationing in 1951 and so it will be, in time, with the necessary limitations to life we are observing to prevent the spread of the virus.

The second way in which the Labour Party has memorialised 1945 to its detriment has been to forget that its extensive social spending was itself justified by the experience of war. A nation that has just gone through the terrible sacrifice of the loss of many of its people, in a fight for freedom against a foreign enemy, is in the mood to rebuild. There was a strong sense of moral justice after the war; sacrifice had to be answered by a new dispensation. One of the many reasons that Boris Johnson is struggling to emulate his hero Winston Churchill is that, when the foe is invisible, the “battle” we are waging is a metaphor rather than a war. It does require social spending that would have been inconceivable a month ago but, again, Labour politicians need to be cautious before concluding that this will last for ever just because they want it to.

The historian John Campbell has written that the dispute between Hugh Gaitskell and Aneurin Bevan was never really about the trifling sums at issue over dental charges. It was an argument about the nature of the new National Health Service but, bigger even than that, teeth were a metaphor for a split in the Labour party between those who wanted to spend heavily and those who felt that sometimes the discipline of the fiscal conservative was a vital corrective.

There are no fiscal conservatives anywhere in politics now but this argument has not gone away. Labour has lost two elections in which it was considered profligate and, in the midst of a Tory blizzard of spending and extensive state activity, it could fall into the trap of thinking voters have embraced it for good.

That error could dog the party for a long time, even longer than the duration of its interminable leadership election.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1347 on: March 27, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
Give me Chorley over Chomsky any day.  What has Chomsky ever done for me?  Defended Holocaust Deniers?  Doggedly pursued a socialist political agenda for 70 plus years?  And I should respect his views why?  Because he is “the father of modern linguistics”?  Does that mean his views trump those of everyone else’s and we should all shut up and defer to him?  I don’t think it works like that.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/noam-chomsky-jeremy-corbyn-vote-labour-british-general-election-2017-uk-a7729526.html

Academic achievements, awards, and honors
See also: List of honorary degrees awarded to Noam Chomsky

Chomsky receiving an award from the president of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, David Krieger (2014)
In 1970, the London Times named Chomsky one of the "makers of the twentieth century".[148] He was voted the world's leading public intellectual in The 2005 Global Intellectuals Poll jointly conducted by American magazine Foreign Policy and British magazine Prospect.[297] New Statesman readers listed Chomsky among the world's foremost heroes in 2006.[298]

In the United States he is a Member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Linguistic Society of America, the American Philosophical Association, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.[299] Abroad he is a corresponding fellow of the British Academy, an honorary member of the British Psychological Society, a member of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina,[299] and a foreign member of the Department of Social Sciences of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.[300] He received a 1971 Guggenheim Fellowship, the 1984 American Psychological Association Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology, the 1988 Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences, the 1996 Helmholtz Medal,[299] the 1999 Benjamin Franklin Medal in Computer and Cognitive Science,[301] the 2010 Erich Fromm Prize,[302] and the British Academy's 2014 Neil and Saras Smith Medal for Linguistics.[303] He is also a two-time winner of the NCTE George Orwell Award for Distinguished Contribution to Honesty and Clarity in Public Language (1987 and 1989).[299] He has also received the Rabindranath Tagore Centenary Award from The Asiatic Society.[304]

Chomsky received the 2004 Carl-von-Ossietzky Prize from the city of Oldenburg, Germany, to acknowledge his body of work as a political analyst and media critic.[305] He received an honorary fellowship in 2005 from the Literary and Historical Society of University College Dublin.[306] He received the 2008 President's Medal from the Literary and Debating Society of the National University of Ireland, Galway.[307] Since 2009, he has been an honorary member of International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters (IAPTI).[308] He received the University of Wisconsin's A.E. Havens Center's Award for Lifetime Contribution to Critical Scholarship[309] and was inducted into IEEE Intelligent Systems' AI's Hall of Fame for "significant contributions to the field of AI and intelligent systems."[310] Chomsky has an Erdős number of four.[311]

In 2011, the US Peace Memorial Foundation awarded Chomsky the US Peace Prize for antiwar activities over five decades.[312] For his work in human rights, peace, and social criticism, he received the 2011 Sydney Peace Prize,[313] the 2017 Seán MacBride Peace Prize[314] and the Dorothy Eldridge Peacemaker Award.[301]

Chomsky has received honorary doctorates from institutions including the University of London and the University of Chicago (1967), Loyola University Chicago and Swarthmore College (1970), Bard College (1971), Delhi University (1972), and the University of Massachusetts (1973) among others.[97] His public lectures have included the 1969 John Locke Lectures,[301] 1975 Whidden Lectures,[98] 1977 Huizinga Lecture, and 1988 Massey Lectures, among others.[301]

Various tributes to Chomsky have been dedicated over the years. He is the eponym for a bee species,[315] a frog species,[316] and a building complex at the Indian university Jamia Millia Islamia.[317] Actor Viggo Mortensen and avant-garde guitarist Buckethead dedicated their 2003 album Pandemoniumfromamerica to Chomsky.[318]

Perhaps you’d like to give us details of Matt Chorley’s achievements, awards and honours ?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:40:46 PM by Faithlilly »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1348 on: March 27, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
You cannot be serious Faithlilly??!  If academic achievement should be a measure of whether or not one person’s opinion is to be taken more seriously than another then where does that leave Jeremy Corbyn who failed his A-Levels??!  I bet even Matt Chorley managed to pass his, which means his opinion counts for more than Corbyn’s right?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1349 on: March 27, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »
You cannot be serious Faithlilly??!  If academic achievement should be a measure of whether or not one person’s opinion is to be taken more seriously than another then where does that leave Jeremy Corbyn who failed his A-Levels??!  I bet even Matt Chorley managed to pass his, which means his opinion counts for more than Corbyn’s right?

We are not talking about academic achievement. We are talking about multiple awards and honours bestowed upon the man by a number of great institutions and a swath of his contemporaries.