Author Topic: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?  (Read 49914 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
I wondered when some one would pick that up,full marks Rob.
What was the word?  I realise you made a mistake but what was the word?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
I think most of us picked up on it ... and we ALL make typos ... the remedy is when you notice one of your own go to 'modify' and make the appropriate change.

8(0(*
I correct my mistakes but in this case I want to know what was the idea being expressed.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline John

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
no...its gulty or not guilty...beyond reasonable doubt.....innocence is not established...you are quite wrong

And if you take it a step further, Scotland is one of only a few places in the world where a simple majority such as 8:7, 9:6, 10:5 etc can see you convicted which must be one of the most ridiculous scenarios ever.  Just imagine if you found yourself in that situation where 8 jurors thought you not guilty while 9 decided otherwise.  Is that really justice?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
What is the word you are looking for?  It certainly isn't "pagan".

The word is paragon.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
The word is paragon.
Thanks John.  A word I've never used in a sentence.
"A paragon of virtue"
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/paragon
"We link paragon with other words that follow it, such as "paragon of virtue" or "paragon of patience." A paragon means someone or something that is the very best. The English noun paragon comes from the Italian word paragone, which is a touchstone, a black stone that is used to tell the quality of gold."

Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Thanks John.  A word I've never used in a sentence.
"A paragon of virtue"
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/paragon
"We link paragon with other words that follow it, such as "paragon of virtue" or "paragon of patience." A paragon means someone or something that is the very best. The English noun paragon comes from the Italian word paragone, which is a touchstone, a black stone that is used to tell the quality of gold."
Black with a gold streak could be an archetypal combination of colour. 

Fabric seems to look like gold rubbed on a black touchstone.
Moderation

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
no...its gulty or not guilty...beyond reasonable doubt.....innocence is not established...you are quite wrong

I am not wrong at all.  You and supporters have been claiming the McCanns are innocent, but fail to explain what it is they are innocent of? as no crime has been established this is a big presumption of you all.

Innocence is 'assumed' when a not guilty verdict is announced. However, your  claimed 'understanding' of global legal knowledge lets you down a wee bit as in Scotland we have a verdict of 'not proven'. ^*&&
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »

I am not wrong at all.  You and supporters have been claiming the McCanns are innocent, but fail to explain what it is they are innocent of? as no crime has been established this is a big presumption of you all.

Innocence is 'assumed' when a not guilty verdict is announced. However, your  claimed 'understanding' of global legal knowledge lets you down a wee bit as in Scotland we have a verdict of 'not proven'. ^*&&
The McCanns are innocent of ANY criminal wrong doing, in the eyes of the law. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Anderson_(Scotland_Yard_official)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:22:21 PM by Faithlilly »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

@)(++(*. you and your “moral guilt”. Don’t you think we’re sick of the sight of this ancient quote at the end of every one of your posts already? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Moral Guilt
Robert Anderson

What utter tripe......the type of policing that saw Colin Stagg falsely accused
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:56:12 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »

Did you read who Anderson was ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
Did you read who Anderson was ?

why is that improtant ...the idea you are promoting is the sort of policing that saw Colin Staggs arrest

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
The Robert Anderson a deeply religious man who wrote the "tripe" was "morally certain" of the identity of Jack The Ripper, his suspect just one of many that have been linked to the murders, and based on virtually no evidence at all.  Perhaps he and Amaral have something in common and perhaps that's why Faithlilly values his writings so dearly.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »
why is that improtant ...the idea you are promoting is the sort of policing that saw Colin Staggs arrest

I’m not promoting any idea. I’m simply posting the opinion of the most senior SY officer.