Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1352854 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #795 on: December 29, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »
Thus Tweeted Zarathustra @)(++(*
We often contradict an opinion for no other reason than that we do not like the tone in which it is expressed.
less than 120

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #796 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »
Ah I never said anyone was acting improperly. They're just acting cautiously as far as I can see, and not very urgently (it was 30 months before they said the 9.15 sighting was no longer being considered vital. 30 months?)

We'll see what transpires, SH, but Crimewatch I think confirmed our cynicism.

Didn't it just confirm that SY don't appear - according to what they have chosen to reveal to us - to have made an enormous amount of progress?

Surely if they were bowing to pressure and trying to please people, they would be coming up with something a little more impressive than the admission that they still appear to have no idea what happened.

Lyall

« Reply #797 on: December 29, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
Didn't it just confirm that SY don't appear - according to what they have chosen to reveal to us - to have made an enormous amount of progress?

Surely if they were bowing to pressure and trying to please people, they would be coming up with something a little more impressive than the admission that they still appear to have no idea what happened.

They can't invent things can they, they can only hold up their hands and spin what little they do have (hugely aided by the press of course).

But Crimewatch was more PR than appeal for information, with the usual story of how nice a holiday it had been and the 'reconstruction' etc. - plus prerecorded interviews (one of which was changed between trailer and transmission). So Redwood did take part in a mainly reputation management exercise in my view.

Lyall

« Reply #798 on: December 29, 2013, 01:54:51 AM »
We often contradict an opinion for no other reason than that we do not like the tone in which it is expressed.
less than 120

Ok, he'd like Twitter ?{)(** He'd enjoy having followers definitely, but who would Nietzsche follow? Nobody, I'd bet. 8)--))

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #799 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57:19 AM »
They can't invent things can they, they can only hold up their hands and spin what little they do have (hugely aided by the press of course).

But Crimewatch was more PR than appeal for information, with the usual story of how nice a holiday it had been and the 'reconstruction' etc. - plus prerecorded interviews (one of which was changed between trailer and transmission). So Redwood did take part in a mainly reputation management exercise in my view.

Yes agreed, it was PR more than information.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #800 on: December 29, 2013, 02:03:10 AM »
Ok, he'd like Twitter ?{)(** He'd enjoy having followers definitely, but who would Nietzsche follow? Nobody, I'd bet. 8)--))
Lou von Salome, Peter Gast, Paul Deussen..

Lyall

« Reply #801 on: December 29, 2013, 02:17:06 AM »
I am sure this could be right, Lyall. I am still young (-ish) and innocent (according to certain definitions) and find it hard to believe that the government and SY are going to dance to other people's tunes. Ultimately we don't know what is going on behind closed doors and should remember the fact.

SY fell short with the Dando case, certainly, though the Madeleine case is much, much bigger. It has been vastly more expensive and still has no discernible end in sight. A different era, somewhat, than the Dando  - time flies - with more public awareness and involvement, and a greater demand from the public for accountability perhaps?

You mention confidence, but how confident can any organisation be, in today's world, that what they would rather keep hidden will never be revealed?

A much too risky strategy that would only be embarked upon for reasons of far greater proportions than protecting the interests of one couple.

If this investigation, or the Madeleine case as a whole, involves individuals or matters of state - which it may do - of profound consequence;  if it is a powder keg under which a Profumo-like element rests, one could see the need for government fear and trembling, and for damage -limitation at all costs.

But to dance to the McCanns' tune for no real reason at all?

I think Anne's post at 12:05 is how they have approached it. They'll be well aware of all the theories but Campbell's system is based on gathering all the evidence and prioritising it. It's not based on following particular theories but on identifying matches between bits of evidence. I think.

But if that approach doesn't come up with anything, what then?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #802 on: December 29, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »
Conspiracy adepts might suggest this, but there is none on this forum, SH.
The fact you have to contemplate is that many authorities from finance, politics, sport, show business etc.. have engaged their credibility in this case. For nothing in the world they'd accept they were cheated.

I have thought about this and I agree fully.

The best way of SY proving their worth in this case is not by performing party tricks, but to find a solution as to what happened to Madeleine.

Too much bowing down for the sake of pleasing people would hinder the investigation, and cause SY to be portrayed in a bad light. No incentive for them to do this.

So it's not a contradiction to note the fact that they are under pressure, and at the same time say that their interest lies in investigating according to honest principles.

Lyall

« Reply #803 on: December 29, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »
Lou von Salome, Peter Gast, Paul Deussen..

8((()*/ You're a Nietzsche expert, Anne?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #804 on: December 29, 2013, 02:38:17 AM »
I think Anne's post at 12:05 is how they have approached it. They'll be well aware of all the theories but Campbell's system is based on gathering all the evidence and prioritising it. It's not based on following particular theories but on identifying matches between bits of evidence. I think.

But if that approach doesn't come up with anything, what then?

Anne at 12:05 is pragmatic as ever. I am too theoretical and idealistic.

I understand your explanation regarding gathering evidence not according to theory but rather by matching things up. But that doesn't contradict the notion that the McCanns must have been considered possible suspects by SY in some sense, because not following a particular theory entails leaving all possibilities on the table.

Or does it?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #805 on: December 29, 2013, 02:40:42 AM »
8((()*/ You're a Nietzsche expert, Anne?
I'm not, but I observe that he's the one who occupies the largest space on my bookshelves..

Lyall

« Reply #806 on: December 29, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
Anne at 12:05 is pragmatic as ever. I am too theoretical and idealistic.

I understand your explanation regarding gathering evidence not according to theory but rather by matching things up. But that doesn't contradict the notion that the McCanns must have been considered possible suspects by SY in some sense, because not following a particular theory entails leaving all possibilities on the table.

Or does it?

I don't think anyone knows, SH. All will be revealed one day I expect. Maybe 8)-)))

Lyall

« Reply #807 on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:32 AM »
I'm not, but I observe that he's the one who occupies the largest space on my bookshelves..

James Joyce on mine, though I can't honestly say I've read all of it 8()-000(

Many times I've told the old joke about Ulysses: "Great preface!" 8)--))

AnneGuedes

« Reply #808 on: December 29, 2013, 03:15:04 AM »
the McCanns must have been considered possible suspects by SY in some sense, because not following a particular theory entails leaving all possibilities on the table.

Or does it?
The thought is likely at the back of their minds, but they take good care to have it under control, applying a sort of "vade retro satanas".
The focus has left Madeleine long ago for her parents' benefit. But it isn't on them any more. A statement that they did this or that or didn't wouldn't be sufficient. What is expected is true speech, speech that would say something about them and provide a basis for fair justice.
The focus now is on SY.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #809 on: December 29, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »
If Amaral had seen fit to visit the crime scene maybe we would have more facts,  he didn't interview the parents, didn't visit the crime scene, heard everything second hand. He could even  be classed as an armchair detective like the rest of us.

He is a co-ordinator.

All the big cheese police detectives even the UK, sit in their office and go through all the stuff the detectives under them gathers.

Its not CIS or any other T.V. series its true life.

Everything goes through him to be looked at and discussed and put in piles of importance etc.

He did go in the field anyway, perhaps you might not know about it, but he did even to the detriment of his marriage.

Its all there if you want to read about it.

At the start of this you have to remember it was simply thought it was a child who had wandered off.

There are NO abductions in PDL a quiet village its full of ex pats and children living there are considered safe.

A lot of the ground work had been done BEFORE the PJ were brought in.

Mr Amaral was there to co-ordinate the investigation not to go looking into into bins.

There was a HUGE amount of stuff gathered boxes and boxes of it. Can you imagine having to co-ordinate all of it. It was made even worse because of the appeals by the parents allowing so many nut jobs to say they had seen the child even in australia. EVERY sighting had to be checked. Jeez cant imagine it.

There was so much stuff gathered it took SY 2 years to go through it all to find ANYTHING the PJ may have missed.

So far what have they come up with?

Tannerman which was discounted already.

and......................................>????

oh and an appeal on CW of dodgy Efits already known about, aka Smiths already know about and about 3,000 more bogus phone calls to trawl through.......and its cost us lot in the UK what over 2 million ....... which could have been spent on helping the disabled in this country from freezing or going hungry............
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:39:13 AM by colombosstogey »