Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1495505 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #4680 on: December 11, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
In the Uk, these are only supposed to be for the occasional user.
People are not supposed to go on a weekly basis

Not supposed to but unfortunately, certainly in the UK, weekly use is becoming more and more the norm.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4681 on: December 11, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »

Yes, just like in Victorian times they have to be recommended as 'deserving' the food. Being on a low income isn't enough to justify giving someone three day's food.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4682 on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Make no mistake about it.  There is nothing that I "seem" to think about the constant stream of hatred directed at the McCann family ... I am very firm about it and the horrible effect it must have on the hated but more particularly on the psyche of the perpetrators of that hate.
Pontificate?? maybe so as far as some may be concerned ... and there is at least one brand of kindness shown today that was unnecessary fifty years ago in the efforts of those running food banks and those contributing to them to feed working families.

What I meant was that some people see hatred where others don't. It's an opinion, not a fact.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4683 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »
The journalist seems to be using Brexit to pontificate about hatred just as you seem to use the McCanns to do it.   I think hatred, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I see more kindness in society now than I did 50 years ago, so I disagree with both of you.
If you think that the McCanns would have been treated less kindly 50 years ago, I’d have to say you were dreaming IMO.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4684 on: December 11, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »

The need in France is based on monthly income which has to be proved.  I qualify due to my Basic British State Pension. 

If you are correct then obviously Britain doesn't know how to run a Food Bank.

Food doesn't get dumped in bins around here, and hasn't been for a very long time.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4685 on: December 11, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
The need in France is based on monthly income which has to be proved.  I qualify due to my Basic British State Pension. 

Food doesn't get dumped in bins around here, and hasn't been for a very long time.

I don't know what the rules are, or just how they are applied, other than recipients require a voucher that they can obtain from a number of agencies.

I donate monthly and like to think that the food goes to genuinely needy cases.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4686 on: December 11, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
If you think that the McCanns would have been treated less kindly 50 years ago, I’d have to say you were dreaming IMO.

I was discussing this apparent outbreak of 'hatred' which some thin has suddenly pervaded our 'nation'. I disagree with that idea.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4687 on: December 11, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »

In the UK the lowest amount paid to a single pensioner is £163 per week. If their State Pension is below that they get Pension Credit to make up the difference. If they're eligible for Pension Credit and pay rent they will get Housing Benefit to cover that. They will pay very little or no Council Tax. The £163 is for everything else.

The thing I find strange is that a single person on benefits gets £73.10 to live on; less than half the amount allowed to pensioners, although they will have similar outgoings.

Result = happy posting.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4688 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »
In the UK the lowest amount paid to a single pensioner is £163 per week. If their State Pension is below that they get Pension Credit to make up the difference. If they're eligible for Pension Credit and pay rent they will get Housing Benefit to cover that. They will pay very little or no Council Tax. The £163 is for everything else.

The thing I find strange is that a single person on benefits gets £73.10 to live on; less than half the amount allowed to pensioners, although they will have similar outgoings.

There's no making any sense of the British Benefit system.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4689 on: December 11, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
I go to a Food Bank every week.  No one ever makes me feel somehow diminished.  They are all very kind.  But then France is so much more understanding of the need.

Nor should it be so that anyone should feel diminished.  The disgrace is that food banks are needed particularly in Britain where throughout my lifetime it was supposed a safety net was in existence.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4690 on: December 11, 2018, 09:23:14 PM »
What I meant was that some people see hatred where others don't. It's an opinion, not a fact.

While there are those who see guilt where none exists.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4691 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »

The first food bank in my area was set up as a charity by one of the churches and then and now a referral was required.
Initially it was intended as an emergency measure ... now they are a necessity.

By your description I think you are correct that France has one over on us if the organisation is based on entitlement.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4692 on: December 11, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
There's no making any sense of the British Benefit system.

The discrepancy exists to 'encourage' those on benefits to get a job. Pensioners are excused, although Owen Paterson suggested putting us to work picking fruit and vegetables in place of migrant workers, didn't he?
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4693 on: December 11, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
While there are those who see guilt where none exists.

Also a matter of opinion.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4694 on: December 11, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »
In my opinion there are other nasty pieces of work around, not just Owen Paterson.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:12:35 AM by Admin »
Result = happy posting.