Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 59619 times)

stephen25000

Ive never heard of Andrea, if people vote for her  instead of Mays solid and consistent cv/performance it will just a matter of I dont like the old cow May cos she just wants to snoop on everyone

Had to laugh earlier, was reading somee newspaper cmment, "we have a fox, two cows, a crabb and a slug" to chose from

Definitely appropriate Mercury, especially for the slimy two faced Gove.

He actually believes no one can do a better job than him. %£5&% %£5&%

Offline Alice Purjorick

As it's not down to the general public who is the next leader of the Tories this poll is kind of meaningless.

Especially as one Boris Johnson topped it recently.

"a week is a long time in politics".  Harold Wilson in the 1960s.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

I note that Theresa May is now the favourite to win the Tory leadership election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/boris-johnsons-allies-accuse-michael-gove-of-systematic-and-calc/

Offline Angelo222

I note that Theresa May is now the favourite to win the Tory leadership election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/boris-johnsons-allies-accuse-michael-gove-of-systematic-and-calc/

This is an election within the Tory Party by people who predominantly supported the remain camp.  They are not representative of the UK at large thus the Telegraph article.  Little wonder therefore that Theresa May is favourite.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

As it's not down to the general public who is the next leader of the Tories this poll is kind of meaningless.

It serves to show nicely just how out of touch the grassroots Tories are with the entire nation.  Tory party members would do well to remember this if they are ever to win the next election which by the way won't happen until 2020 according to May.  Isn't that a sweet reflection of a democracy, an entire nation led by an unelected PM for four years?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:02:00 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

It serves to show nicely just how out of touch the grassroots Tories are with the entire nation.  Tory party members would do well to remember this if they are ever to win the next election which by the way won't happen until 2020 according to May.  Isn't that a sweet reflection of a democracy, an entire nation led by an unelected PM for four years?

The entire nation  ?

In the last election the Cons won a Commons majority with less than 25% of the potential electorate

Alfie

???  So who is the Tory leader of choice of the entire nation then?

stephen25000

The real Boris.........................

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/01/boris-johnson-lies-no-10

What he got yesterday was truly just desserts.

Offline jassi

Not so, they are elected, but not directly by the people.
All MPs are elected to Parliament. The PM is elected to that post by party members.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline John

I don't think they will get away with it, I foresee troublesome times ahead if Theresa May or even Michael Gove think they can be shoehorned into the most important political position in the UK without an actual mandate from the people.  I fear four years of this is unsustainable.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:42:45 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

Gove deserves NO trust
May is disliked but not untrusted
She was remain so will get the better deal

Meanwhle

The PLP are so utterly terrified of what Corbyn will say about Blair next week that, like the US in Vietnam, they are prepared to destroy the Labour Party in order to 'save' it. The EU referendum result is just a cover for a cynical coup orchestrated by a Blair-friendly PR company - some of the MPs voting no confidence in Corbyn may not even realise that they are being played by Alistair Campbell.

[Edited re typo]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:16:11 AM by ShiningInLuz »

stephen25000

' Hypocrite! Tory leadership hopeful and Vote Leave campaigner Andrea Leadsom previously said 'Brexit would be a disaster'

Tory leadership candidate Andrea Leadsom has been dubbed a hypocrite

Vote Leave campaigner previously said leaving EU would be a 'disaster'

However she made repeated calls for Brexit in the run up to the referendum '

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671760/Tory-leadership-hopeful-Vote-Leave-campaigner-Andrea-Leadsom-previously-said-Brexit-disaster.html#ixzz4DKTiuiYU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

stephen25000

Just heard her comments on the audio recording.

She can hardly say it was taken out of context.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Not so, they are elected, but not directly by the people.
All MPs are elected to Parliament. The PM is elected to that post by party members.

My brain has just caught up with thread title......by default? like:

Anthony Eden,Harold McMillan,Alec Douglas-Hulme, James Callaghan,John Major, Gordon Brown +1 become PM through means other than a general election. Just in my lifetime so far...

It would appear to be a not uncommon occurrence so why the beef at the "plus one"  one wonders ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

My brain has just caught up with thread title......by default? like:

Anthony Eden,Harold McMillan,Alec Douglas-Hulme, James Callaghan,John Major, Gordon Brown +1 become PM through means other than a general election. Just in my lifetime so far...

It would appear to be a not uncommon occurrence so why the beef at the "plus one"  one wonders ?

Seems the people don't want an unelected PM for the next 4 years!

https://twitter.com/LadyGodiva1066/status/749224688363171840
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:57:26 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.