Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 60333 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

If you look at her CV and her official record at the FSA / FCA I think you would be safe enough to conclude that she is a chancer.

So - of the brexit leaders - we have:

Farage - quit. 

Johnson - did it to further his political ambitions.  Now quit.

Gove - stabbed his mate in the back, and now eliminated.

Leadsom - claiming all sorts of managerial and financial expertise that she simply didn't have.

Who else......

Jesus - what a mess.   

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:10:29 PM by Angelo222 »

Alfie

Seeing as how the Brexiteers philosophy is "drive it off a cliff and everything will be fine" then Andrea Leadsom seems like the perfect driver going forward (and downwards).

Offline Carana

Theresa May v Andrea Leadsom to be next prime minister
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36737426

stephen25000

Just watched her being interviewed on  C4 News.

The interviewer pulled her claims apart, as did an ex-collegue.

stephen25000

Come off it, Dave.  Is she really going to take legal action against everyone who thinks she has been economical with the truth?  8(0(*

If you look at her CV and her official record at the FSA / FCA I think you would be safe enough to conclude that she is a chancer.

So - of the brexit leaders - we have:

Farage - quit. 

Johnson - did it to further his political ambitions.  Now quit.

Gove - stabbed his mate in the back, and now eliminated.

Leadsom - claiming all sorts of managerial and financial expertise that she simply didn't have.

Who else......

Jesus - what a mess.   

You've got it in one J.P.

A total MESS.

stephen25000

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/07/the-perfect-champion-for-the-new-nasty-party-andrea-leadsom

The excitement was almost excitement. On the morning of the second round of the Conservative leadership election, Andrea Leadsom was to make a “Major” speech on the economy. We knew this because the invitation said so. Major with a capital M. Andrea was going to use all the expertise she had picked up working on the switchboard at the Aylesbury branch of Barclays to set out the economic future for post-Brexit Britain so we could all sleep easy once more.

Outside a small lecture hall in Westminster, supporters were handing out free T-shirts with #rally4leadsom printed across the front. Some people even took one. They’d be useful as dusters, if nothing else. Once Owen Paterson, Iain Duncan Smith and Theresa Villiers – with friends like these ... – had been shoehorned into the front row, Penny Mordaunt stood up to introduce Britain’s economic saviour. “Some people say that Andrea has come from nowhere,” she declared. “But you can only come from nowhere if you’re ready.” Gnomic doesn’t begin to cover it.

“I’m an optimist,” Andrea began, fixing her face into an inane smile. “I want a country in which everyone who aims high can achieve their dreams.” It was certainly working for her. From Chance the Gardener to within striking distance of becoming prime minister. Not for the first time in the past few weeks, fiction was rewriting itself as fact.

After every sentence, Andrea lapsed into yet another inane smile. Her advisers appear to have mistakenly informed her that smiling inanely is a sign of confidence and gravitas. Next, she said she wanted to banish pessimists. She didn’t say where. France, probably. “The forecasts for the economy have all been wrong,” she added, turning a chart showing the plunging value of the pound upside down. Before smiling inanely again. It was like a primary school prize-giving speech from someone who had been drafted in at the last minute after the first 12 choices had made themselves unavailable.

And that was that. In just under 12 minutes, the Major speech on the economy had been delivered. A speech so Majorly subtle it had appeared to be entirely content- and intelligence-free. Andrea beetled off without taking any questions – “I’d love to, but I’ve got a bit of work to do on my CV” – to take her place alongside Theresa Villiers at the head of a 200-yard march on parliament with her supporters.

“MPs at the front,” yelled Tim Loughton. Clearly, the news that Leadsom was meant to represent the unheard, anti-establishment voice of Britain hadn’t filtered down to him. “What do we want? Andrea Leadsom,” shouted a couple of hundred activists. When do we want her? Sometime before September. Villiers looked as if she would rather be somewhere else. Anywhere.

With her incompetence on the economy safely in the bag, Leadsom took to the airwaves to prove her woman-of-the-people credentials. Yes, she had met a few gay people, and some of them had been OK if you like that kind of thing, which she didn’t really, but what you had to remember was that marriage was strictly for Christians only and if God had wanted gays to get married he wouldn’t have made them gay. Foxes? She’d never seen one she hadn’t wanted to tear apart. Capital punishment? Don’t get me started. The Nasty party, the party for the grassroot, Ukip wing of the Conservatives, had just reformed.

Over in the committee corridor where the second round of voting was taking place, there were tellers for Leadsom and Theresa May, but none for Michael Gove. Either Mikey had taken out his remaining supporters in yet another act of homicidal fury or they knew the game was up. The answer turned out to be both. When Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 Committee, announced the result shortly after 4pm, Mikey had secured two fewer votes than he had when there were five candidates. Poetic justice for the justice secretary.

It would be Andrea who would go head to head with May when the ballot was extended to Conservative party members. “It’s the establishment versus the common man,” said one Andrea supporter, before hastily correcting himself. “I meant common woman. The Tory party can now unite, because both candidates are women.” Women: they’re basically all the same. As the Conservative party took another lurch back another few decades, IDS purred unhealthily: “Andrea has the velvet glove of compassion.” TMI.

Andrea practised her inane smile. Perfection. So inane that she failed to realise she was in danger of turning the Conservatives into a mirror image of Labour. A party in which the majority of MPs think its leader is useless.

Offline Carana

Interesting that in 2016 the media appears fascinated by the fact that two women are vying to become the next PM.

Would such attention have been drawn to the sex of the contenders if it had concerned two men?

Answers on a postcard...

Offline mercury

Interesting that in 2016 the media appears fascinated by the fact that two women are vying to become the next PM.

Would such attention have been drawn to the sex of the contenders if it had concerned two men?

Answers on a postcard...

As long as its just a comment about the unusual nature, cough, its fine, any of us would mention it, if any obsess about it like they did with obama then it becomes pathetic
And besides I dont  see any difference between a female reachng minsterial level and then being  chosen as the best minister, its a no brainer, it is a meritocracy after all
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:20:05 AM by mercury »

Offline Holly Goodhead

I listened to various tv progs yesterday eve where AL was interviewed and the subject under discussion. 

In an interview aired by Channel 4 she claims she was responsible for compliance at Invesco Perpetual.  This is completely untrue.  If she had any involvement with compliance whatsoever this would appear on the FCA register and it doesn't.  I doubt she has any chance of beating TM but it's scary that she is even seen as a possible contender for PM. 

Before the Brexit debates I hadn't even heard of her but I thought she presented well.  The interviews I listened to yesterday were a complete contrast.  She sounded like middle management from a sales or marketing dept beating the drum about how she wants to banish pessimists!  Yeah lets all jump up and down on our beds and chant:  Little Britian is great   8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*(
She was then asked about her views on gay marriage and fox hunting.  Surely the country has far more pressing matters than gay marriage and fox hunting? 

Am I turning into a grumpy old woman or what?  8)><(

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

stephen25000

I listened to various tv progs yesterday eve where AL was interviewed and the subject under discussion. 

In an interview aired by Channel 4 she claims she was responsible for compliance at Invesco Perpetual.  This is completely untrue.  If she had any involvement with compliance whatsoever this would appear on the FCA register and it doesn't.  I doubt she has any chance of beating TM but it's scary that she is even seen as a possible contender for PM. 

Before the Brexit debates I hadn't even heard of her but I thought she presented well.  The interviews I listened to yesterday were a complete contrast.  She sounded like middle management from a sales or marketing dept beating the drum about how she wants to banish pessimists!  Yeah lets all jump up and down on our beds and chant:  Little Britian is great   8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*( 8(*(
She was then asked about her views on gay marriage and fox hunting.  Surely the country has far more pressing matters than gay marriage and fox hunting? 

Am I turning into a grumpy old woman or what?  8)><(

Excellent post Holly.

I watched the same interview and she faltered several times.

I suspect she will be exposed for what she is, over the next few weeks.

I note the 'Sun' has backed T. M.

Offline Holly Goodhead

Excellent post Holly.

I watched the same interview and she faltered several times.

I suspect she will be exposed for what she is, over the next few weeks.

I note the 'Sun' has backed T. M.

Thank you Stephen. 

The Daily Mirror is comparing AL with Mrs T.  Now I'm no fan of Mrs T but I doubt there's any comparison whatsover between AL and Mrs T intellectually.  Mrs T was a research chemist and barrister.  AL has a very questionable past in financial services!  It seems to me AL's roles were administrative at middle management level. 

I just can't see how on earth AL has got where she has.  Perhaps I'm naive and those that were seen marching alongside her yesterday will be pulling her strings.  Maybe that's how it works?   &%+((£
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

stephen25000

Thank you Stephen. 

The Daily Mirror is comparing AL with Mrs T.  Now I'm no fan of Mrs T but I doubt there's any comparison whatsover between AL and Mrs T intellectually.  Mrs T was a research chemist and barrister.  AL has a very questionable past in financial services!  It seems to me AL's roles were administrative at middle management level. 

I just can't see how on earth AL has got where she has.  Perhaps I'm naive and those that were seen marching alongside her yesterday will be pulling her strings.  Maybe that's how it works?   &%+((£

The trouble is when you start B.S.'ing on a CV , you will get caught out.

I wonder what else she was being economical with the actualite with ?

Alfie

Contrary to Angelo's claim that Leadsom is the People's choice, it seems she is the choice of less than 30% of the populace according to this Sky poll

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-poll-public-wants-theresa-may-as-pm-10495349?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

stephen25000

Contrary to Angelo's claim that Leadsom is the People's choice, it seems she is the choice of less than 30% of the populace according to this Sky poll

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-poll-public-wants-theresa-may-as-pm-10495349?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

What a shame. 8)><( 8)><(

stephen25000

Thank you Stephen. 

Here's some more, and not hard to find.

http://www.desmog.uk/2015/05/25/mysterious-tory-donor-linked-energy-minister-andrea-leadsom-s-rise-power

'The Energy Minister, Her Brother-in-Law, His Hedge Fund and the Oil Investments.'

he rise of Andrea Leadsom to energy minister has correlated with generous donations to the Conservative party by Peter de Putron, a mysterious hedge fund guru – and her brother-in-law.

Leadsom was appointed energy and climate change minister in the wake of the Conservatives’ shock victory at the general election. She replaced Amber Rudd – who has been promoted to secretary of state.

De Putron, her brother-in-law and former employer, has donated £816,000 to the Conservative party since she first became an MP in the 2010 election. He has also provided funds for her local constituency party and further cash to pay for the staff in her office.

Leadsom’s rise to the top has been steady. She was the managing director of De Putron Fund Management in the 1990s, according to Who’s Who.

Oil and Gas Interests

She was, more recently, head of corporate governance and senior investment officer at Invesco Perpetual, one of Britain’s largest retail fund managers.

Invesco holds £3m of investments in Amerisur Resources, an oil and gas producer, and a further £2.8m of investments in Hunting, which supplies the oil industry, among other fossil fuel interests. Leadsom was not involved in the investment decisions of the company.

Leadsom was then elected as Conservative MP for South Northamptonshire in May 2010. That same year, De Putron, who is married to her sister, Hayley, donated £200,000 to the Tories.

The following year, he donated a further £66,600, then £155,500 in 2012, before increasing his largess to £204,760 the year after. He paid a further £300,000 to the Conservatives’ backed “no to voting reform” campaign, and £680,000 to the Cameron-friendly think tank Open Europe.

Labyrinthine Corporation

The money was paid through the UK-registered Gloucester Research Limited, which underwent several name changes before becoming GR Software and Research Limited. Ben Leadsom - Andrea’s husband - was a director of the company but has since resigned.

De Putron, who has registered an address of Avenue Du Manoir Ville Au Roi in Guernsey, earns his keep through a rather labyrinthine off-shore company structure, which has made it impossible to ascertain who his clients are, and whether they are investing in the energy sector.

The minister’s brother-in-law was founder of London-registered De Putron Fund Management LLP. According to Bloomberg Business, the company was known from 2010 as Bell Rock Capital Management LLP. The company has been described by the Financial Times as “secretive”.

The highest paid member of the Bell Rock partnership received £2,114,950 in 2013, while Guernsey-registered De Putron Fund Management Limited received £774,837 in fees and almost £30,000 in recharged expenses during the same year.

No Public Profile

To complicate matters further, Bell Rock received its entire turnover for the year from Airain Limited, which is based in St Peter Port, Guernsey. This company appears to have no public profile.

Airain Limited was described as “a multi-jurisdictional enterprise using innovative technology to trade financial securities” during a recent employment tribunal.

Moreover, it emerged that Airain has recruited staff at national bridge tournaments, and employees are “required to observe stringent security and privacy protocols” because of the “valuable ‘intellectual property’ of the software employed”.

A website called Whale Wisdom provides information used to track hedge funds and asset managers taken from 13F forms - a list of holdings filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States.

According to this site, a company called Airain Limited based in St Peter Port held stocks in oil and gas related companies including ExxonMobil, World Fuel Services, and National Oilwell Varco. Indeed, it appears that about 13 percent of their declared holdings were in energy stocks. They also declare holdings in Altria - which owns tobacco giaint Philip Morris USA. 

Carolynne Hayley de Putron, known as Hayley, is Andrea’s sister and De Putron’s wife. She is a trustee of the Ana Leaf Foundation and founder of the De Putron Challenge for schoolchildren.

Client Leak

The Guardian reported that the family relationships became apparent to its reporters after a leak of client information from a discreet Jersey off-shore private bank. The data was obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and shared with the newspaper.

A Conservative Party spokesman told DeSmog UK on Friday: “All donations to Ms Leadsom's office and to the Conservative Party are properly and transparently declared to the Electoral Commission, published by them, and fully comply with Electoral Commission rules. Any suggestion of impropriety by Ms Leadsom or the party is malicious and defamatory and will be treated as such.”

@brendanmontague