Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 59663 times)

Offline G-Unit

Theresa May has inherited the job of PM under the most horrible circumstances.  She is now charged with uniting a Party which is split down the middle with party members being in direct opposition to parliamentary members.  No wonder this contest for leader was decided before it went to a vote of the former.

May is now charged with implementing #Brexit, something which the majority of Tory MP's opposed. She might have their support at the moment but when things start to move after Article 50 is invoked, will she retain that same support.  I have a terrible feeling that May's premiership might not be for as long as she might want and that does not fair well for the EU negotiations.

Once Article 50 is invoked the clock is ticking; two years. Looking at the state of UK politics at the moment we could lose most of that two years with further in-fighting. I wouldn't rule out a General Election if May gets it wrong.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

Once Article 50 is invoked the clock is ticking; two years. Looking at the state of UK politics at the moment we could lose most of that two years with further in-fighting. I wouldn't rule out a General Election if May gets it wrong.

As someone said on TV today, one cannot rule anything out at the moment.  David Cameron got out of bed this morning thinking only two months more to go and by coffee time he realised he wouldn't be Party leader by tea time and would be quitting as PM by Wednesday lunch time.  They do say a day is a long time in politics, so what will happen within two years is anyone's guess?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:08:51 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

Theresa May seems interested in some traditional Labour concerns. Instead of addressing  the concerns of business leaders at this time of uncertainty she was talking about social injustice and curbing excess corporate pay.

The home secretary vowed to put the Conservative Party "at the service" of working people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36760953

Rhetoric? Time will tell.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

Theresa May seems interested in some traditional Labour concerns. Instead of addressing  the concerns of business leaders at this time of uncertainty she was talking about social injustice and curbing excess corporate pay.

The home secretary vowed to put the Conservative Party "at the service" of working people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36760953

Rhetoric? Time will tell.

I have every sympathy for Theresa, as Home Secretary she was protected to a great extent but she will be anointed El Supremo tomorrow, the head honcho, the big boss, the buck stops here.  No longer will she be protected and undoubtedly those same forces which so proficiently saw off her competition will now be head hunting for her scalp.  God help her, she'll need it!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:46:37 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Carana

I have every sympathy for Theresa, as Home Secretary she was protected to a great extent but she will be anointed El Supremo tomorrow, the head honcho, the big boss, the buck stops here.  No longer will she be protected and undoubtedly those same forces which so proficiently saw off her competition will now be head hunting for her scalp.  God help her, she'll need it!

Yes, she's put her head on the line.

Who would you have preferred (if any) and why?

stephen25000

Appropriate quotes from a comedy disaster movie.

8((()*/

Offline John

Yes, she's put her head on the line.

Who would you have preferred (if any) and why?

Ideally Cameron should have stayed put as he originally promised.  As to anyone else taking up the mantle, I fear I cannot think of a single MP fit to do the job.

Offline misty

Ideally Cameron should have stayed put as he originally promised.  As to anyone else taking up the mantle, I fear I cannot think of a single MP fit to do the job.

What about Philip Hammond?

Offline ShiningInLuz

The question is if/when article 50 gets invoked.  If TM waltzes into number 10 and presses the button immediately, I would be surprised to say the least.

She has a new cabinet etc. to appoint.  Those appointed have to get up to speed, both on UK 'as normal' and what Brexit will do in their area of responsibility.

And there is a question of who will be Brexit supremo during the leave process.  Is TM going to try to be an MP, the PM and the Brexit supremo all at once?  That's a lot of hats to wear.  Or will she appoint a Brexit supremo, who would presumably sit within the Cabinet at least until Brexit has completed.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

Cameron never promised to stay...and he never promised to trigger article 50

Offline Jean-Pierre

The question is if/when article 50 gets invoked.  If TM waltzes into number 10 and presses the button immediately, I would be surprised to say the least.

She has a new cabinet etc. to appoint.  Those appointed have to get up to speed, both on UK 'as normal' and what Brexit will do in their area of responsibility.

And there is a question of who will be Brexit supremo during the leave process.  Is TM going to try to be an MP, the PM and the Brexit supremo all at once?  That's a lot of hats to wear.  Or will she appoint a Brexit supremo, who would presumably sit within the Cabinet at least until Brexit has completed.

I can't think of anyone better than Nigel Farage for the job.  He has many friends in the EU parliament, he has a calm measured approach and would be sure to work to negotiate the best possible terms for those who voted for brexit.

Offline Alice Purjorick

She will be like any good manager,one hopes. Outline the plan tell her staff what she expects each of them to do, play to their strengths and support their weaknesses, chew nails and spit rust and carry the can back. Don't buy a dog and bark yourself.
Give the task of negotiating "Brexit" to the most vociferous "remainers" because they cannot afford to be seen to be cocking it up and will have to deliver in spades even to be regarded as having done a half reasonable job.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

I can't think of anyone better than Nigel Farage for the job.  He has many friends in the EU parliament, he has a calm measured approach and would be sure to work to negotiate the best possible terms for those who voted for brexit.

@)(++(* @)(++(*

Offline Angelo222

Cameron never promised to stay...and he never promised to trigger article 50

Cameron did state that he would remain PM regardless of the outcome of the vote.  You must have slept thru that video.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

Cameron did state that he would remain PM regardless of the outcome of the vote.  You must have slept thru that video.
which video was that

found this...

Asked whether he could stay in his post in the event of Brexit, he replied: “Yes. I think it's very important that the individual careers of individual politicians don't get caught up in this question.

“It won't be a verdict on me, whatever the outcome is. It's a verdict on the question, but I do care a lot about the question.”

is this what you are referring to? if it is you need to read it carefully
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:08:48 PM by davel »