Author Topic: Why did the Portuguese authorities allow them to "escape"  (Read 6785 times)

amaraltheofficeboy

Why did the Portuguese authorities allow them to "escape"
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Ya know - they had the perps - they had the evidence - they had them hook line and sinker - after all they could have forced them to "prove their innocence".

So why did they not stop them from getting on the Easyjet plane?

Why did they miss the opportunity to solve the crime without the hassle of Reg requests/interviews etc?

What were the hot shot authorities short of?

Why did they give permission for the culprits to flee the country and then criticise them afterwards for not coming back for a reconstruction?

Whose fault was it?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:31:35 PM by amaraltheofficeboy »

debunker

Re: Why did the Portuguese authorities allow them to "escape"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
They did not 'give them permission' as such. Their address as given on the forms was in England. Therefore they were permitted to return to their home address. Of course the PJ could have tried to amend the Arguido status, but the law had changed from 'suspicion' to 'reasonable suspicion' (on the orders of the ECHR.)

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Ya know - they had the perps - they had the evidence - they had them hook line and sinker - after all they could have forced them to "prove their innocence".

Why did they miss the opportunity to solve the crime without the hassle of Reg requests/interviews etc?

Why did they give permission for the culprits to flee the country and then criticise them afterwards for not coming back for a reconstruction?

Whose fault was it?

because they didn't have the evidence.

Redblossom

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
Them giving permission to leave a couple days after being made arguidos SMACKS of political interference to me

debunker

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
Them giving permission to leave a couple days after being made arguidos SMACKS of political interference to me

See above. The PJ had no right to stop them leaving.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »

I think you will see what political interference is if Portugal refuse to reopen the case.

Redblossom

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

thats that then

debunker

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

thats that then

Under what law could they stop unarrested and uncharged people from leaving the country?

Redblossom

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

I think you will see what political interference is if Portugal refuse to reopen the case.

Oh right dream on, I think camerons hands are full at the moment with all sorts of *stuff* that affects the *whole world* dont you think? maddies case is way way down on his radar even if its still in it anywhere

Redblossom

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »

thats that then

Under what law could they stop unarrested and uncharged people from leaving the country?

Ask someone who knows  or cares but the question SHOULD be why the authorities let two arguidos just go home a day or so after if the police had had a theory they were involved and had been interviewing  them a daybefore,, see? Interfereance

Offline sadie

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »

Whose fault was it?

because they didn't have the evidence.

Spot on davel

They didn't have the evidence.

Repeat: They didn't have the evidence

Redblossom

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Wierd that police  not having any evidence would send the suspects home pdq though after interrogating them,  ergo it was nothing to do with police

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
the evidence (according to some) is that they failed to prove their innocence.

Offline muratfan

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
At anytime, if the PJ had enough evidence to charge the McCanns, whilst back here in Blighty, they could have asked the Police here to arrest them and extradite them to Portugal..