Author Topic: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?  (Read 13875 times)

Offline sadie

Re: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
In my opinion, rather more pertinent than an upper or lower age limit for voting ... would be the ability to pass an intelligence test.

I like your response Brietta, but I think some maturity and experience of the world is desirable ... so a lower age limit should be in place.  imo

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
In my opinion, rather more pertinent than an upper or lower age limit for voting ... would be the ability to pass an intelligence test.

I have "liked" this because it appeals to my intellectual snobbery however putting on my practical and pragmatic head, it will not work. It will exclude half the population. My comment based on everything to the left of the centreline of a standard distribution curve will have to go. One can nitpick of course to whittle it down to 33% I expect but whatever its kin lots. Why not drop back to only allowing married women to vote. (ducks)  8()-000(
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »

1. What is 'intelligence'?
2. Do tests reliably measure intelligence?
3. Which tests in particular would best reveal the 'right' people to be given the vote?
4. Does being unaware of the problems associated with defining intelligence, let alone how to measure it mean anyone recommending testing is demonstrating their own lack of intelligence?
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/2758/are-iq-tests-reliable

&%+((£   %£&)**#

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »
The Representation of The People Act 1928 gave the vote to all those 21 years of age and above. A similar Act lowered the voting age to 18 year olds and over in 1969.

It took hundreds of years for people to win the right to vote, and less than 100 years after the right was won people are discussing how they would like to see others disenfranchised.

Result = happy posting.

Offline John

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
The Representation of The People Act 1928 gave the vote to all those 21 years of age and above. A similar Act lowered the voting age to 18 year olds and over in 1969.

It took hundreds of years for people to win the right to vote, and less than 100 years after the right was won people are discussing how they would like to see others disenfranchised.

What I find strange is that 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds were allowed to vote in the recent Scottish independence referendum but they aren't deemed fit and proper to vote in any other election.  Was this basically an attempt by the Scottish Nationalists to manipulate the outcome on the basis that they thought the wee dears would vote for indy en masse?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:18:07 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »

Annie Kenney would be spinning.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »
Annie Kenney would be spinning.

Levels of education were wider in the past. Class divisions were greater too. Those who fought for the vote didn't discriminate, they didn't pick and choose, they fought for everyone to have the same right. Rich or poor, basic education or higher education, old or young; one person one vote.

Now we seem to have taken a giant step backwards. One referendum and people are prepared to throw away everything that was achieved historically.

It's easy to judge others and to tell yourself you're superior to them. The truth is we all have different talents and all of them are needed in a society. The intelligent educated ones will always need someone who can carry heavy things when they want to move house. They will always need people who are willing to deal with their rubbish. They will always need someone to clean their plush offices.

Everyone contributes so everyone is entitled to a say. I'm reminded of Animal Farm. "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

Result = happy posting.

Offline sadie

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:26:24 PM »
I have "liked" this because it appeals to my intellectual snobbery however putting on my practical and pragmatic head, it will not work. It will exclude half the population. My comment based on everything to the left of the centreline of a standard distribution curve will have to go. One can nitpick of course to whittle it down to 33% I expect but whatever its kin lots. Why not drop back to only allowing married women to vote. (ducks)  8()-000(

The intelligence test need not be a high level one Alice.

Just high enough to make sure that the voter has enough intellect to make  a reasonable job of voting.  Set at , say 95% of people passing .... or maybe a higher or lower percentage, but most people who can reason at all, would pass it.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:25 PM »
What I find strange is that 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds were allowed to vote in the recent Scottish independence referendum but they aren't deemed fit and proper to vote in any other election.  Was this basically an attempt by the Scottish Nationalists to manipulate the outcome on the basis that they thought the wee dears would vote for indy en masse?

Should 16-year-olds be able to vote?
Scotland's 16 and 17-year-olds will be casting their votes in a referendum on independence. Why not elsewhere?

It could have been as cynical as that, John, particularly as Alex Salmond proposed it. I think it proved to be successful in engaging their interest as many young people were evidently enjoying participating in the run up to referendum day.
I don't know if anyone has carried out a study on how they actually voted on the day, although it is almost guaranteed the SNP will have a fair idea, but I think support was fairly evenly distributed across the parties.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »

Discrimination of the stupid.  &%&£(+

Why stop there. Who else should we ban from voting?

The handicapped perhaps, gays, methodists?
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »

As far as I am aware sixteen and seventeen year olds are allowed to vote in every election in Scotland. Scottish Parliamentary elections and local council elections, not only the Independence referendum.
This has been deemed a great success, engaging this age group in political debate and giving them the chance to vote in accordance with their own hopes and political desire.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »

Discrimination of the stupid.  &%&£(+

Why stop there. Who else should we ban from voting?

The handicapped perhaps, gays, methodists?

Anyone who has doubts about a certain couple? That's a sign of stupidity according to some.  @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
I really don't think that an upper age limit could ever be applied in voting.

The uproar if it was attempted, would be unprecedented.

Likewise, any attempt to impose limits relating to I.Q. would also be met with hostility.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
A referendum is not legally binding but the result is the result.
I have posted this below  before in the MM thread in another context:
Philippa Langley, she of Richard III remains fame, at least had the dignity to refrain from saying "let's keep digging til we a find a straight one".

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
Rather than imposing any sort of  criteria on the electorate I would like to see consequences for politicians and others who deliberately mislead.  This could include fines (personal and party) and losing their seats.  The electorate should be able to rely on information presented in referendums and elections.  Where the information is found to be deliberately misleading then there should be consequences.

It's outrageous that the Brexiteers advertised and claimed 350 million "could" be used to fund the NHS when this was never a realistic proposal. 

I didn't bother voting as it was obvious to me there was so much BS on both sides.

Now the whole thing has turned into a farce akin to X Factor and Big Bro! 

IMO BJ and MG look and sound ridiculous.  Are these really the sort of people we want representing us on the world stage?  I hope the pair of them disappear from public life forever. 

Andrew Marr interviewed Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove on the AM show this morning.  The contrast could not be starker.

Come on Andy and Tess!  The absolute dream ticket!   8@??)( 8@??)(
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?