Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 240775 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
Symbols? What symbols? The anthem and the royals? You really think they're that important to most British people? I don't.
Yes, I do think that, I'm amazed you don't  - the Queen is a symbol as well as a human being and the majority of British support the monarchy - look at any opinion poll for proof.  Attend any sporting event where the national anthem is sung and the majority of the crowd will be singing it, and with gusto and sometimes tears in their eyes.  The poppy is another symbol that people wear with pride and expect their leaders to wear when out in public.  Now tell me I'm wrong again. *&*%£

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
So, all those who applaud Corbyn for not being a hypocrite and standing by his principles in not singing the national anthem, what will your opinion be of your man when he's next put on the spot and finds himself joining in with the singing as seems very likely? 

Lyall

« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
You're more right about the poppies than the anthem. Tears in their eyes? Oh dear %56&

Lyall

« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
So, all those who applaud Corbyn for not being a hypocrite and standing by his principles in not singing the national anthem, what will your opinion be of your man when he's next put on the spot and finds himself joining in with the singing as seems very likely?

We understand he has the entire media against him, and they're determined to get rid of the man. The drip, drip, drip effect of their constant negative campaigning is not a million miles away from brainwashing.

Of course Corbyn can't just ignore that.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
I merely pointed out The Facts.  And it wasn't a donation.  It was an exchange of a contract.  The Crown does not receive Benefits.
Personally, if I were The Queen I would ask for it to be given back and then bog off somewhere a jolly sight warmer.  Perhaps you should read "In the Wet" by Neville Shute.

If you say so Eleanor. We'll just forget the overspending and debts which led to it..

Have you read 'The Queen and I' by Sue Townsend? That was a good read.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
If you say so Eleanor. We'll just forget the overspending and debts which led to it..

Have you read 'The Queen and I' by Sue Townsend? That was a good read.

I prefer Novels.  They are more likely to be correct.

Who is Sue Townsend, by the way?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »
You're more right about the poppies than the anthem. Tears in their eyes? Oh dear %56&
That is a poor response.  Are you not aware of the British public's (growing) support for and confidence in the monarchy? 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/10206708/Confidence-in-British-monarchy-at-all-time-high-poll-shows.html

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »
We understand he has the entire media against him, and they're determined to get rid of the man. The drip, drip, drip effect of their constant negative campaigning is not a million miles away from brainwashing.

Of course Corbyn can't just ignore that.
If he had any principles he would.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Pride in one's country supersedes politics, or it should do.  It is about the people, the countryside, the culture, the customs, the history, the achievements across many fields of endeavour.  It's a complex alchemy of all of these things. People who turn their back on important British symbols come across as a bit suspect in the eyes of the GBP, and that's a fact that Jeremy really needs to understand if he wants to be PM.

A lot of which were shaped by political decisions.

There are a wide variety of ways of being proud of your country and a wide variety of reasons for it. There is always room for improvement, and people's views on how to do that are also very different. Symbols change - Britannia was a very popular symbol in Victorian times, but not so much now. How many younger people know how to hang the Union flag correctly? How many younger people remember the beautiful wild flowers and scents that I remember from my childhood?

Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
A lot of which were shaped by political decisions.

There are a wide variety of ways of being proud of your country and a wide variety of reasons for it. There is always room for improvement, and people's views on how to do that are also very different. Symbols change - Britannia was a very popular symbol in Victorian times, but not so much now. How many younger people know how to hang the Union flag correctly? How many younger people remember the beautiful wild flowers and scents that I remember from my childhood?

My son does, for one.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »
Yes, I do think that, I'm amazed you don't  - the Queen is a symbol as well as a human being and the majority of British support the monarchy - look at any opinion poll for proof.  Attend any sporting event where the national anthem is sung and the majority of the crowd will be singing it, and with gusto and sometimes tears in their eyes.  The poppy is another symbol that people wear with pride and expect their leaders to wear when out in public.  Now tell me I'm wrong again. *&*%£

The Queen is much respected and admired, but even she got it wrong when Diana died. Opinions can change very quickly.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »

Tears in their eyes?  Did you not watch the Olympics 2012?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/london-2012-survey-shows-games-has-boosted-national-pride-8026251.html

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »
The Queen is much respected and admired, but even she got it wrong when Diana died. Opinions can change very quickly.
And just as quickly they can change back again.  Don't expect anything less than an unprecedented national outpouring of grief on her death which will no doubt leave all Republicans sick to their stomach. 

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
That's one then.
I doubt he's the only one.  Out of interest do you think it matters which way up the Union Jack is hung?  Wouldn't a red flag be far easier?  8(0(*