Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 401130 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #3195 on: February 02, 2018, 10:17:15 PM »
I can explain it very easily... Gerry was incenced by the, questioning and decided not to take the advice
Was he incensed?  Was he advised not to answer?

That's news to me.  Is there a cite?  Or was that an IYO?
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3196 on: February 02, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Was he incensed?  Was he advised not to answer?

That's news to me.  Is there a cite?  Or was that an IYO?

if its news to you then you havent been following the case...Gerry was also advised not to answer

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #3197 on: February 02, 2018, 10:27:30 PM »
if its news to you then you havent been following the case...Gerry was also advised not to answer
No cite then. Nor a cite for Gerry being incensed.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3198 on: February 02, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »
No cite then. Nor a cite for Gerry being incensed.

Im sure I will be able to find one but its a little late...perhaps when I do you can apologise ....as they both had the same lawyer it would be strange if he advised kate not to answer but didnt give the same advice to gerry.....dont you think

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3199 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:14 PM »
Im sure I will be able to find one but its a little late...perhaps when I do you can apologise ....as they both had the same lawyer it would be strange if he advised kate not to answer but didnt give the same advice to gerry.....dont you think

The only evidence that Gerry was advised to keep silent is in Kate's book; she says he was, but she wasn't there when it took place;

7th September
Today Carlos had advised me not to answer any of the questions put to me. [madeleine]

Gerry wasn't there, he arrived later so they didn't get advised together;

As I walked out of the interview room at 3.15pm, Gerry was on his way to Portimão for his interrogation. I wasn’t allowed to see him but I had been able to speak to him on the phone [madeleine]

Gerry wasn’t back from his interrogation until 1.30am. Like me, he was officially declared an arguido at the start of the proceedings. His intention had been to take Carlos’s advice, as I had done, and refuse to answer any questions
[madeleine]

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3200 on: February 02, 2018, 10:55:40 PM »
The only evidence that Gerry was advised to keep silent is in Kate's book; she says he was, but she wasn't there when it took place;

7th September
Today Carlos had advised me not to answer any of the questions put to me. [madeleine]

As I walked out of the interview room at 3.15pm, Gerry was on his way to Portimão for his interrogation. I wasn’t allowed to see him but I had been able to speak to him on the phone [madeleine]

Gerry wasn’t back from his interrogation until 1.30am. Like me, he was officially declared an arguido at the start of the proceedings. His intention had been to take Carlos’s advice, as I had done, and refuse to answer any questions
[madeleine]

cite provided

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3201 on: February 03, 2018, 06:49:45 AM »

7th September

[madeleine]
What the lawyer said to Gerry and reported by Kate would be a classic hearsay situation, and hence would hardly be classed as a factual event.  IMO of course for I'm not a lawyer.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3202 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
What the lawyer said to Gerry and reported by Kate would be a classic hearsay situation, and hence would hardly be classed as a factual event.  IMO of course for I'm not a lawyer.

It's a fact that Kate wrote it in her book. Whether it's a fact that the lawyer advised Gerry to stay silent depends on whether the reader sees Kate as a reliable source.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3203 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
It's a fact that Kate wrote it in her book. Whether it's a fact that the lawyer advised Gerry to stay silent depends on whether the reader sees Kate as a reliable source.
But in a hearsay situation we are dependent on both Kate and Gerry reporting the situation correctly.   It is definitely "information received from other people which cannot be substantiated"

Definition provided by:

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/hearsay

"hearsay

noun
information received from other people which cannot be substantiated; rumour.
"according to hearsay, Bez had managed to break his arm"
synonyms:   rumour, gossip, tittle-tattle, tattle, idle chatter, idle talk, mere talk, report; More
LAW
the report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.
"everything they had told him would have been ruled out as hearsay"
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3204 on: February 03, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »

I have been asked to provide a cite...which I have via you. I was not asked to provide proof of the statement

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3205 on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
I have been asked to provide a cite...which I have via you. I was not asked to provide proof of the statement
But I question whether you can use hearsay evidence as proof.  The cite you use is hearsay therefore does not prove your point IMO.  It might be the cite you remember but the cite does not back the statement IMO.  I appreciate it is a tricky situation for Kate may genuinely believe Gerry was told to remain silent, but she didn't hear that lawyer saying that to him herself, but Gerry tells her, according to Kate, that he was told to remain silent.
And then Gerry does not follow the advice.  So should we just accept that as gospel?
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3206 on: February 03, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »
But I question whether you can use hearsay evidence as proof.  The cite you use is hearsay therefore does not prove your point IMO.  It might be the cite you remember but the cite does not back the statement IMO.  I appreciate it is a tricky situation for Kate may genuinely believe Gerry was told to remain silent, but she didn't hear that lawyer saying that to him herself, but Gerry tells her, according to Kate, that he was told to remain silent.
And then Gerry does not follow the advice.  So should we just accept that as gospel?

Note... I was not asked for proof I was, asked for a cite

You can accept it as you wish but it is a cite

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3207 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »
Note... I was not asked for proof I was, asked for a cite

You can accept it as you wish but it is a cite
I see your point, you provided a cite.  But do you see my point?   The point being that the cite does not quite deliver?
Moderation

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3208 on: February 03, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »

If everyone wants proven cites then we might as well give up.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3209 on: February 03, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
If everyone wants proven cites then we might as well give up.
I think a cite should attempt to meet the definition of the word.  http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=9105.msg444528#msg444528
It should be a cite that supports the statement not just any citation. 
Moderation