Author Topic: Distinguishing Fact from Opinion.  (Read 10990 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Distinguishing Fact from Opinion.
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »
If someone says something it's a fact that they said it. What they actually said can be a true fact, a lie, an opinion or a mistake.
But in this forum "If someone says something is a fact" then it has to have a cite or previously cited, i.e I think of a cite as some reference that carries some additional authority.  Maybe we should define what a cite is too while we are at it. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
But in this forum "If someone says something is a fact" then it has to have a cite or previously cited, i.e I think of a cite as some reference that carries some additional authority.  Maybe we should define what a cite is too while we are at it.

Are moderator classes needed or are you winding me up?

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
Are moderator classes needed or are you winding me up?
This thread is educational.  How do you define cite?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
The net value of the silver bar is dropping alarmingly.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
I think you are wrong. In both countries a witness signing a statement means they are ratifying it in my opinion.

ratify
ˈratɪfʌɪ/Submit
verb
sign or give formal consent to (a treaty, contract, or agreement), making it officially valid.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ratify&oq=ratify&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3564j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What a signature means in the UK;

Witness statements must:

Start with the name of the case and the claim number;
State the full name and address of the witness;
Set out the witness's evidence clearly in numbered paragraphs on numbered pages;
End with this paragraph:  'I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true.' and
be signed by the witness and dated.
If a witness is determined to lie in their statement signing or ratifying that declaration doesn't make the lie any more like the truth.    But it sets the stage for any consequences if they were ever to be found out, and charged with a perjury offence.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:39:42 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »
If a witness is determined to lie in their statement signing or ratifying that declaration doesn't make the lie any more like the truth.    But it sets the stage for any consequences if they were ever to be found out, and charged with a perjury offence.
what if the statement was written in a foreign language they could not understand

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
what if the statement was written in a foreign language they could not understand
That would certainly help in their defence of a charge of perjury.  It would make it harder to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.
 IMO: The way the statements were made had that flaw in them.  No English statement to begin with therefore we will never know what the witness actually said even if the translation back from Portuguese to English (in the PJ files) is flawless.
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
This thread is educational.  How do you define cite?

As in academia, of course.

citation
sʌɪˈteɪʃ(ə)n/Submit
noun
a quotation from or reference to a book, paper, or author, especially in a scholarly work

Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

People often sign things like contracts in their own languages that they don't understand. It's still binding.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
As in academia, of course.

citation
sʌɪˈteɪʃ(ə)n/Submit
noun
a quotation from or reference to a book, paper, or author, especially in a scholarly work
IMO:
We are talking about the Madeleine McCann case!  Books - generally Kate McCann's book is treated with  disdain.  Some won't even read it, certainly won't buy it.  So a quote from that will be questioned for sure.  The other author's books aren't as accessible.
Paper as in scientific papers - are there any?
Scholarly work?  - which ones (Documentaries might fall under this category)  I'm sure the over all opinion of this forum just about justifies the description of scholarly work.

We are then left with blogs, newspapers, forums, Facebook groups and Wikipedia.  and YouTube  e.g. Richard and Lizzy HDH, Bogart!  What a bunch!
Moderation

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2018, 09:41:15 PM »
IMO:
We are talking about the Madeleine McCann case!  Books - generally Kate McCann's book is treated with  disdain.  Some won't even read it, certainly won't buy it.  So a quote from that will be questioned for sure.  The other author's books aren't as accessible.
Paper as in scientific papers - are there any?
Scholarly work?  - which ones (Documentaries might fall under this category)  I'm sure the over all opinion of this forum just about justifies the description of scholarly work.

We are then left with blogs, newspapers, forums, Facebook groups and Wikipedia.  and YouTube  e.g. Richard and Lizzy HDH, Bogart!  What a bunch!
Yes.  For example, the capability of forensic analysis in the Cipriano case and the McCann case, as compared to what was claimed in the media, is yours for €30 IIRC.  Professora Helena Machado rings a bell.  University of Coimbra?
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
Yes.  For example, the capability of forensic analysis in the Cipriano case and the McCann case, as compared to what was claimed in the media, is yours for €30 IIRC.  Professora Helena Machado rings a bell.  University of Coimbra?

we know from the trial transcript that the blood claimed to belong to joanna was never forensically checked

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
we know from the trial transcript that the blood claimed to belong to joanna was never forensically checked
Does this have ANYTHING to do with the thread title, Robbity's question or my answer to Robbity's question?

Are there any scientific papers?  Yes.  Fact.

There is a forum for the Cipriano case.  Should you wish to discuss that, off ye pop.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
Does this have ANYTHING to do with the thread title, Robbity's question or my answer to Robbity's question?

Are there any scientific papers?  Yes.  Fact.

There is a forum for the Cipriano case.  Should you wish to discuss that, off ye pop.

from your post just 2 posts ago...
For example, the capability of forensic analysis in the Cipriano case ..

so if you are going to introduce the cipriano case in a thread dont be too surprised if others respond........perhaps its best you keep it to the cipriano thread