Author Topic: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?  (Read 33576 times)

Offline Carana

Fishermen were apparently massively pro-Brexit. I recall tales of of an unfair quota system, with lots of fishermen being forced out of business, which made their view fairly understandable (to me).

However, upon reading a bit more about it as my knowledge of the issues was zilch, the CFP appears to have been reformed since those old days.

The frequently heard gripe of "bloody foreigners fishing in our waters"

A few facts, assuming they are correct:

- "The UK has only 13% of the EU's total sea area, but we are allocated 30% of the EU's total quota."

- "The EU is by far our biggest export market; in 2014, exports of fish and fish products to the EU were worth £1.01 billion, almost double the £550 million sold to all other countries combined (2). We run a net trade surplus with the EU in fish and fish products, with exports worth £160 million more than imports."

A few links:

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/05/13/we-must-not-lose-our-voice-in-eu-fishing-policy

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/04/15/what-would-brexit-really-mean-for-the-uks-fishing-industry

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/06/15/brexit-better-for-fisheries-is-pure-fantasy

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:24:28 PM by John »

stephen25000

Re: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »
Fishermen were apparently massively pro-Brexit. I recall tales of of an unfair quota system, with lots of fishermen being forced out of business, which made their view fairly understandable (to me).

However, upon reading a bit more about it as my knowledge of the issues was zilch, the CFP appears to have been reformed since those old days.

- "The UK has only 13% of the EU's total sea area, but we are allocated 30% of the EU's total quota."

- "The EU is by far our biggest export market; in 2014, exports of fish and fish products to the EU were worth £1.01 billion, almost double the £550 million sold to all other countries combined (2). We run a net trade surplus with the EU in fish and fish products, with exports worth £160 million more than imports."

A few links:

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/05/13/we-must-not-lose-our-voice-in-eu-fishing-policy

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/04/15/what-would-brexit-really-mean-for-the-uks-fishing-industry

http://nffo.org.uk/eu-referendum/2016/06/15/brexit-better-for-fisheries-is-pure-fantasy

Thanks for that information Carana.

It does put some more myths of Brexit into context of what they claimed, namely fantasy-land.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
Thanks for that information Carana.

It does put some more myths of Brexit into context of what they claimed, namely fantasy-land.

I'd already heard the gripe of "bloody foreigners taking our fish"... but 20% of the fish landed by the UK is caught in the waters surrounding other countries. As someone puts it:

Whose Fish Are They Anyway?
26th May 2016

Why exiting the European Union won’t mean your plaice or mine

“Fish aren’t British or French or Spanish – they’re just fish and they don’t respect national boundaries,” says Debbie Crockard.
https://www.mcsuk.org/press/view/682

Again, it seems to be more of an emotional reaction, rather than a rational one.

There must be a few valid arguments, though. I suppose for any mom and pop fishing businesses with relatively small boats, any huge foreign vessels sweeping through must feel like the Armada. I doubt that I could find the cite right now, but apparently quite a few seemingly "foreign" ones are actually owned by UK companies anyway.

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »

A few links:

Leslie Girvan – Board member of NIFPO, ex-vice chairman of FAL, owner of three fishing vessels and owner of a Fish Selling company in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland

There is not one single positive aspect of the UK’s suicidal involvement with the European Union – an involvement that has brought about the decimation of the British fishing industry.

The well-worn EU phrase of “too many boats chasing not enough fish” to justify their ever-reducing quota allocations was never a British problem – it was a problem that arose due to the agreement to allow the EU “access to a common resource” which resulted in hundreds of Spanish and French boats being allowed catch fish in British waters.

The time to rectify this situation is now!

John Ashworth – trawl door designer and respected industry commentator

As the designer and manufacture of the Bison Trawl door, I have experienced the unusual position of having worked on trawlers in many parts of the world, not as a fisherman, but a person gaining experience, or teaching how to use the product.

I have witnessed first-hand the damage done to coastal communities, especially Africa, with third country EU agreements, and in the now EU ‘pond’, the inability to manage the marine resource successfully, simply because we have, by our EU treaty obligations, to be run under a political objective.

Charlie McBride — skipper/owner Arcane II

After 40 years of watching blatant mis-management of our fishing industry, and seeing over 60% of the UK’s whitefish fleet scrapped while other EU Member States were given subsidies to build additional new fishing vessels, the time has come to say “enough is enough”.

We must not only halt the EU-driven decline of our industry now, but also to protect the working lives for our children for the future.

More...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:36:01 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:20 AM »
Channel Cod Quotas.

UK fisheries can land 144 tonnes of cod from the channel per year.

French fisheries can land 1660 tonnes.

The fisherman in my town voted leave, unsurprisingly.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
Channel Cod Quotas.

It is quite ironic that the EU Commission has actually succeeded where our own fishing leaders have failed for decades i.e. to get complete unity amongst all fishermen and a single cause that they can fight together for!

It never ceases to amaze how even now some look upon the EU as being a force for good?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:43:17 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
Wales and Cornwall voted Brexit, as we know... but it does seem that they're biting the hand that feeds them.

From the link to the Wales article:
David Cameron has warned his successor as prime minister cannot guarantee EU funding for Wales will continue after the vote to leave.

Research from Cardiff University suggested the region enjoys an annual net benefit of £245 million from the UK's membership.

PMQ:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-david-cameron-wales-eu-funding-no-guarantee-warning-eu-referendum-a7109636.html

---

Cornwall and Europe
I owe EU
Why did the region that benefits most from EU membership vote against it?
Jul 2nd 2016 | REDRUTH AND TRURO | From the print edition

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21701548-why-did-region-benefits-most-eu-membership-vote-against-it-i-owe-eu

People in Cornwall stand to lose the equivalent of £863 each after the UK leaves the European Union.

The warning comes from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF), which says that the region faces being by far the hardest hit when European aid ends, losing £476million across the county.

In Devon and Somerset, the amount per person in aid is £55. The average hit across England would be £102 per head if the EU funding were not replaced, with the biggest loss outside Cornwall set to be £243 for people in the Tees Valley in the North East.

Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/people-in-cornwall-could-lose-863-each-after-brexit/story-29479428-detail/story.html#ozZzOJsMeybEL0WG.99

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
Wales and Cornwall voted Brexit, as we know... but it does seem that they're biting the hand that feeds them.

From the link to the Wales article:
David Cameron has warned his successor as prime minister cannot guarantee EU funding for Wales will continue after the vote to leave.

Research from Cardiff University suggested the region enjoys an annual net benefit of £245 million from the UK's membership.

PMQ:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-david-cameron-wales-eu-funding-no-guarantee-warning-eu-referendum-a7109636.html

---

Cornwall and Europe
I owe EU
Why did the region that benefits most from EU membership vote against it?
Jul 2nd 2016 | REDRUTH AND TRURO | From the print edition

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21701548-why-did-region-benefits-most-eu-membership-vote-against-it-i-owe-eu

People in Cornwall stand to lose the equivalent of £863 each after the UK leaves the European Union.

The warning comes from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF), which says that the region faces being by far the hardest hit when European aid ends, losing £476million across the county.

In Devon and Somerset, the amount per person in aid is £55. The average hit across England would be £102 per head if the EU funding were not replaced, with the biggest loss outside Cornwall set to be £243 for people in the Tees Valley in the North East.

Read more at http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/people-in-cornwall-could-lose-863-each-after-brexit/story-29479428-detail/story.html#ozZzOJsMeybEL0WG.99

The scaremongering continues.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:34:18 PM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Channel Cod Quotas.

I'd be interested in reading more about that if you have a link.

According to what I've been reading, the UK has the second largest fishing quota after Spain, but it may well be broken down according to types of fish / crustaceans.

stephen25000

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
I'd be interested in reading more about that if you have a link.

According to what I've been reading, the UK has the second largest fishing quota after Spain, but it may well be broken down according to types of fish / crustaceans.

Here is more general data about the EU countries fishing data.

What would also be of relevance would be consumption figures of fish and other sea produce in those same countries.

I will look for that later, meanwhile time for Chilcott to speak.

Offline Carana

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
Leslie Girvan – Board member of NIFPO, ex-vice chairman of FAL, owner of three fishing vessels and owner of a Fish Selling company in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland

There is not one single positive aspect of the UK’s suicidal involvement with the European Union – an involvement that has brought about the decimation of the British fishing industry.

The well-worn EU phrase of “too many boats chasing not enough fish” to justify their ever-reducing quota allocations was never a British problem – it was a problem that arose due to the agreement to allow the EU “access to a common resource” which resulted in hundreds of Spanish and French boats being allowed catch fish in British waters.

The time to rectify this situation is now!

John Ashworth – trawl door designer and respected industry commentator

As the designer and manufacture of the Bison Trawl door, I have experienced the unusual position of having worked on trawlers in many parts of the world, not as a fisherman, but a person gaining experience, or teaching how to use the product.

I have witnessed first-hand the damage done to coastal communities, especially Africa, with third country EU agreements, and in the now EU ‘pond’, the inability to manage the marine resource successfully, simply because we have, by our EU treaty obligations, to be run under a political objective.

Charlie McBride — skipper/owner Arcane II

After 40 years of watching blatant mis-management of our fishing industry, and seeing over 60% of the UK’s whitefish fleet scrapped while other EU Member States were given subsidies to build additional new fishing vessels, the time has come to say “enough is enough”.

We must not only halt the EU-driven decline of our industry now, but also to protect the working lives for our children for the future.

More...

Interesting, and thanks for the argument on the Brexit side. I'll come back to it a bit later as some of those statements don't appear to be factually correct.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
The EU let Spanish trawlers come into our inshore waters and scoop up everything in sight while our own boats were forced to tie up in port.  Nothing will ever change that fact!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:15:46 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
The EU let Spanish trawlers come into our inshore waters and scoop up everything in sight while our own boats were forced to tie up in port.  Nothing will ever change that fact!!

Can you prove that to be true, since if it was there would be no fish left ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »

so do we have the same amount of fishing boats operating before we enterEd the EU

it seems the uk waters are where all the fish are and thats why the foreign ships are here

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »

Have you slept through the last ten years?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!